[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra, 알함브라 궁전의 추억

Admin

anneyong chagiya dheul.... 

just finished watching episode 6 (for the 3rd time)

uri poor CEO... when I watched ep 1 with him a year after.. on that train with those dirty and bulky sneakers.. I was like.. how in the world he ended up like this? even a year after... he still play that Hunger Game on a train to Granada... why must he comes back there? what will happen later? so so many questions I have in mind.... to the point that I give up and will just wait and see where the Chaka nim will bring us.... 

this roller coaster of a nerve wrecking and mind bulging kdrama ride is overwhelming.. Hyun Bin who won best actor back in Secret Garden golden era.. can really portray and embodies such a damsel in distress Yoo Jin Woo.. the expressions.. eyes gazing... the uneven breathing.. the terrifying moments that he could lose his life in any second.. and still nobody would understand why.. Hyun Bin nailed this role... much much better than in his last drama flick (you know what I mean right.. but the drama gave us many sweet kisses hehehehe) 

so far this is Hyun Bin’s best role after Kim Joo Won.. a clausterphobic. 

I hope... Jung Hee Joo will be Yoo Jin Woo’s lucky charm.. the man suffers so much.. all his money and wealth means basically nothing now... I hope Hee Joo will stay by his side and save him.. ( and please divorce that kkeot baem beeetch actress ASAP ) 

Park Shin Hye is one of the most loveliest natural beauty OMG I admire her so much... I like her reality show where she is actually a Master Chef.. . and I went to her family’s Yangchulbuk restaurant in Seoul..  it was masshi sso! if you like to eat inners and organs hehehehe....

can’t wait for the next episode... michigetaaaa...... 

• Like 7

Viewers always notice when the hero levels up because the signs are visible. For instance, once JinWoo reached Level 5, the audience immediately took note that he could finally communicate with both the pirates (or mercenaries) and Emma in that Alcazaba Café.

But I doubt the audience even noticed when the heroine HeeJoo leveled up.

To me, she’s in Level 2. :blink::lol:

It has something to do with the clock. Did you notice them? It always strikes 1:16 am.

From Episode 1

sx0gysm.jpg

The news on TV is droning about the success of JOne at a recent tech show but she's oblivious to it as she sleeps. Doorbell chimes. She wakes up and glances at the clock then goes back to sleep. But doorbell rings again so she goes to the door wondering who it can be. She opens the door and he asks, “Did I come too late?” at the lateness of the hour. She asks in return, “How can I help you?” And he replies, “Do you have any available rooms?” Then the church bells toll.

From Episode 5

Hx6nk43.jpg

She’s sorting through her office materials. Phone chimes. She glances at the clock. She answers the phone, “Hola” and she hears, “Is this Hostal Bonita?” in Spanish. The caller orders her to get JinWoo. She resists at first but yields after finding out that the caller’s the wife.

See that?

In the first episode, it was the doorbell that chimed to announce the beginning of her involvement in the game. In the second episode, it was the phone call from the Wife that signaled her "leveling up."  Both times, it was 1:16 am.

At the first encounter, she was given the opportunity to say no and close the door on JinWoo. But it seemed like she was caught in a trance and she allowed him in.

And I thought that the church bell tolling in the distance was ominous. You see, church bells are rung NOT ONLY to indicate the HOUR (besides at 1:16am, the church bell had no business ringing the HOUR anyway, because it was late by 16 minutes. Ha!) but ALSO announce the DEATH of somebody. That's why we have the term "death knell" and the famous poem by John Donne that goes, "any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

The tradition of ringing the bell is said to drive out the devils hovering and prowling around the area to take control over the soul of the newly deceased.

So, here in this kdrama when the church bell tolled, I took it to mean that her brother was "dead" but there was the devil, in the form of JinWoo, lurking around to take over his "soul" or his creative and INTELLECTUAL property, the AR game.

And true enough, JinWoo's smile as he and HeeJoo gazed at each other looked charmingly devilish to me. lol.

As for the second instance the clock showed 1:16am, I explained it in my blog. Just go over there if you want to read; I don't want to bore people here longer than necessary. 

source:  http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/12/21/memories-of-the-alhambra-on-heejoos-leveling-up

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 3

I love how versatile Memories of the Alhambra is. It has a perfect mix of comedy action suspense thriller horror melo and romance :wub:A big applause to MOA team for delivering first rate production, incredible first 6 episodes. All the casts did a great job. Hyun Bin deserves a special mention for his absolutely stellar role to date. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yay! Another exciting week for us. More question than clues as always :P :crazy:

Ep6 ending signifies a transition...location and plot wise.

One thing stood out to me, Heejoo was compelled by her strong feelings for Jinwoo to do that crazy chase stunt. And it's a lovely sight, knowing someone cares that way towards our poor, lost and afraid Jinwoo :wub::wub:

Shinhye & HyunBin's have awesome chemistry! I just can't, aish! 

I couldn't even afford to think someone else's feelings. However... - Yoo Jinwoo

[FMV]

cr: immelodyxx & 공쏘

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, rori0711 said:

I love how versatile Memories of the Alhambra is. It has a perfect mix of comedy action suspense thriller horror melo and romance :wub:A big applause to MOA team for delivering first rate production, incredible first 6 episodes. All the casts did a great job. Hyun Bin deserves a special mention for his absolutely stellar role to date. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yay! Another exciting week for us. More question than clues as always :P :crazy:

Ep6 ending signifies a transition...location and plot wise.

One thing stood out to me, Heejoo was compelled by her strong feelings for Jinwoo to do that crazy chasing stunt. And it's a lovely sight, knowing someone cares that way towards our poor, lost and afraid Jinwoo :wub::wub:

Shinhye & HyunBin's have awesome chemistry! I just can't, aish! 

I couldn't even afford to think someone else's feelings. However... - Yoo Jinwoo

Hi there, rori0711. Sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier. Time is my enemy and I can't blog and post on soompi at the same time. :)

I agree all the actors are doing a fine job. They’re doing what they have to do. It’s a succinct script and tight directing. No complaints from me...well, except a recapping. :)  I think a recapper got it WRONG and somebody should alert her for corrections. You see, the Non-Player Character HyungSik does NOT have the ability to open doors. During that encounter in the Armas weaponry shop (by the way, Armas means weapon or firearms in Spanish), it was JInWoo who opened the door for HyungSik. HyungSik didn't open it himself.

I wish I can take a screenshot of JW turning the door knob but I'm pressed for time right now. 

JW was hiding behind the door and he wanted HS to enter so he could stab him in the back (I know, I know. It’s a metaphor of their relationship. JW was repaying HS in kind for what HS did to him when HS stole his wife.)

That’s why in their next meeting in the bathroom, JW was left unscathed. HS couldn't attack because the shower stall door was closed. JW KNEW that. Hence, he was hiding in shower stall. :D

HS didn’t disappear because he was moved by JW’s speech. He disappeared because the game was delayed after the 60 seconds pause.

Also, during JW's first encounter with the NPC HyungSik (right after he checked out the park bench where he last saw HS), the NPC HS only materialized after JW stepped out of the police barricade tape. It seems to me that any enclosed space will do as his "panic room."  :) And he has to open the door himself or step out of his confinement or boundaries. 

A year later, he was still the one opening the door to trouble aboard the train. 

• Like 7

Eventhough that was a regular scene, I liked it.

When HJ was standing on the balcony of that apartment, and

watched as JW was leaving with the taxi.

And then she was watching as the train was leaving again.

She was a bit late, and ofcourse the tears came as sign of

disappointment.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

That’s why in their next meeting in the bathroom, JW was left unscathed. HS couldn't attack because the shower stall door was closed. JW KNEW that. Hence, he was hiding in shower stall. :D

Smarty pants Jinwoo :D His assistant be like...my boss gone nuts again :crazy: I missed silly boss/ asst combo like arguing between them who can charm Heejoo. :lol:

HS didn’t disappear because he was moved by JW’s speech. He disappeared because the game was delayed after the 60 seconds pause.

Right. NPC Hyungsuk is incapable of opening the door as well as having emotion. Seriously, Park Hoon rocks the poker face :scream: and he's very successful terrorizing Jinwoo and viewers :P  

A year later, he was still the one opening the door to trouble aboard the train. 

No more hiding but confronts fear and danger rather. 

• Like 6

@DOCDOC @NileRose

Erm... if you think I was disrespectful or critical in my comments about PSH or her character you have seriously misunderstood what I've said completely. :blink: If anything, I was quite complimentary. I like the character and happy that she struck gold so early on in the show with the ten billion won. Moreover I think that PSH does really well with portraying her. Just because I haven't liked her other stuff in the past doesn't mean I don't like what her character does here. 

A foil is a literary term meaning a character that brings out qualities in another character. I'm not sure what I've said there is inaccurate about HJ. HJ does play off nicely against JW, her innocence, warmth is a contrast to his world weary cynicism. With her, he's learning to behave a lot better.

I've been on these forums for a few years now and I believe my reputation speaks for itself. If anyone thinks that I only post on a thread just to insult actors, it's a huge misapprehension of my track record on Soompi. And if anyone thinks that I wrote that post just to insult PSH... all I can think is... that they didn't read the rest of what I wrote.

I don't really want a fight on the forums so if you have anything further you'd like to say please PM me.

2 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

who else thinks this is a game from the very beginning?

like the whole thing

Spoiler

That's generally my suspicion. A game within a game.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

I agreed. And this professor seems suspicious. Since the actor SUS keeps playing evil roles so here I can't think him other than he's plotting to  revenge later. Like he might realize something went off and JW is no longer to be his favorite. He just makes me anxious. 

I like their scenes tho even it's sad for JW. Idk I just love seeing HB acting melo like this. It reminds me how great his acting in his old movie 'A Millionaire's First Love'. The way JW responds coldy to HJ's phone call. "I'm not okay. Will you come here again if I say so? No, you don't have to come" Clearly describes his true feeling which he hides from her. It breaks my heart when he was alone in that house. The sad look in his eyes.. gahhh... I want ep 7 now!! 

That guy is creepy and don't even ask how scary he was in w2w WITHOUT a face...now he has a face, so that's even more disturbing. But then I am thinking what damage he can inflict to JW, when he already has enough miseries in life? I mean a rogue game, psychological condition as well as a limping leg and then his solitude. Do we need another villain at this stage?Isn't the villain quota already fulfilled? 

Or I have a feeling that he already knows about whatever happened to his son and also about the game. He is somehow orchestrating the entire thing including CHS death...I know its far fetched but this happened in W so it can happen here also..

bold

I agree! I think we kind of overlook that not only HJ but JW is also going through a whirlwind of emotions. It's not easy being alone and also not accepting that I don't I want to be alone. I suppose more than zombie Cha, JW is scared of 'hurting' or rather losing another woman that's why he keeps on saying 'stay away' with a red flag. Though there is a contradiction between his words and actions; when HJ's sister calls him Master of Charm, she wasn't referring towards his words,rather his actions which he was unconsciously doing to attract HJ.

PS. Can we expect a kiss in ep7 or is it still too soon..??:rolleyes:

• Like 5

13 hours ago, PororoQueen said:

I's hard to digest that as a father, Prof. Cha would just let the autopsy (for his own son) slide away just because he wants to protect his company or protect the image of JW.

It's hard to accept the concept of 3rd party involvement in the AR game (like sabotaging the other player) can kill a person. I mean, virtually fighting in the game... your character can die but your not your body, right?? - :unsure: Yet, physically SeJoo's body disappear?

Just because Kdrama can be full of surprises - I want to suspect CHS's wife - SuJin. There are scenes where SJ cries in front of her father in law/ in front of JW or while CHS and SJ fight - throwing wine on the wall - Even when CHS questioned her about the accidental meeting of SJ and JW, SuJin got too emotional . Is SJ under stress with JW during her first marriage or CHS also abuse her emotionally? Pregnancy blues? Does SJ hate JW? We don't know the real reason SJ left JW for CHS .

Did something happened before the duel CHS with SJ. Could SuJin followed CHS that night ... or her subordinate or ....Marco physically came after the duel?

I'm still thinking about Overdose/Poisoning tho.

* Only Park Sun Ho believes that JW some kind of guilty of CHS death after witnessing JW's threat towards CHS.

But,.... if this drama is about an AR game, or W type of fantasy drama,  I have to wait for the return of SeJoo's Factor X or Mr X villain explanation patiently.

I am kind of giving the father some benefit of doubt because primarily I don't want any more villains in the show but yeah as you have said, that guy is suspicious and not conducting an autopsy or rather forcing his DIL to also not demand for one does ring some bells!

About SJ's disappearance..I am still convinced that he is not dead..because if he is dead then where is the body?? This is a fantasy drama and now borderline supernatural..lol.. I will give the writer complete chance to explain things, though I am warning not to be surprised if the explanations don't go the normal, logical way and end up being more abstract than concrete..

About SuJi..well it takes two to tango! If CHS wanted to avenge JW by having a fling with his wife, then SuJin must have also responded. Although, both CHS and SuJin did seem to have a blissful marriage(they were about to have a baby), so I doubt that CHS was abusive. I suppose if any thing that has to be blamed for their anguish, is the 'cut-throat-rivalry'. Maybe JW was not able to give her enough time while trying to bring CHS down. But I don't believe that JW is a bad husband..the second wife is a proof of that. 

Yes, he was suspicious but can he speak against his boss?? 

@NileRose @DOCDOC I think you have misunderstood @40somethingahjumma comments. She was actually appreciating HJ and PSH's character.:)

• Like 4

Kinda looking forward to ep 7. Eventhough i was not much a fan of ep 5 and 6 haha.

Hopefully ep 7 will shine more light on the game, SJ's whereabouts and JW's last relationships with zombie cha and his ex wives :D

3 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

who else thinks this is a game from the very beginning?

like the whole thing

I think the whole thing is a game too. A very complex one with so many characters :sweatingbullets:

I'm on the camp that zombie cha is actually nice other than his rivalry with JW. I don't think JW was all that innocent in both his marriages. Maybe JW was so emotionally detached in their relationship? Who knows. I still remember the scene where Sujin was so angry at JW right after Cha died, as if she was blaming him. Unless shown otherwise, i dont think Sujin had an affair, cha was just a friend who was always there when needed. And they end up getting married after her divorce. 

I can be completely wrong here, since theres so little backstory to build upon in MotA as of ep 6 hahaha

------------------------------

On the other hand....reminder to all, myself included:

Let us respect each others opinion and carefully read thru comments before jumping to conclusions. And let's try to maintain the discussions focused on the drama and its characters~

Please avoid putting negative adjectives to other people even if its in virtual format like this forum. It is not nice. Theres really no need to put down others just because their opinion does not meet your views. 

:blush:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Let us respect each others opinion and carefully read thru comments before jumping to conclusions. And let's try to maintain the discussions focused on the drama and its characters~

Please avoid putting negative adjectives to other people even if its in virtual format like this forum. It is not nice. Theres really no need to put down others just because their opinion does not meet your views

Just like you said..don't put down others. I hope don't put down other actor or actress too. I don't like conflict either. I already read carefully, I don't misunderstanding. I do hope later please avoid  putting negative adjectives  to other actor or actress who act and work hard too in the MOA. Please respect them their hard work. 

The casts n the crews work 8 months just for 16 episodes. They are working so hard. Let's appreciate their hard work. 

• Like 2