[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra, 알함브라 궁전의 추억

Admin

7 hours ago, PororoQueen said:

Thank you @Kasmic

Hmm...I think Su-Jin's refusal in getting her husband's autopsy is sounds suspicious - SJ father in law sincerely asked her opinion means that Prof Cha respect her as part of his family. No autopsy will kept us the viewers wander for the rest of the drama. But, I'm sure in the future the cause of the Zombie Cha death will be revealed. I feel that SJ always not happy, and even when she's heavily pregnant, her husband gave her very little attention....*clue?? No??*

I'm hoping to see Zombie Cha re-appearance. I think it's funny that he will remain as a zombie (He's the second lead actor anyway) - how lucky Cha Hyung Seok is in this drama, he only need to be around in suit, covered in blood holding a sword ready to attack JW.

Hey JW is now level 5 - but he's leaving Spain next episode - how can he use his chance level 5 to communicate with EMMA at Alcabaza Cafe? duh... they have to go back to Granada.

On the 7ep preview, Hee Joo also went back in Korea  and opened up a store (guitar store maybe) named EMMA. So the story continues. . 

• Like 2

So is JW is actually going crazy?  Because:

1.  Why would Zombie Cha not go after him while he is sleeping?  Unless that's part of the rules of the game.  It could actually make sense since RPGs tend to have rules like that where monsters can't cross certain barriers and will even wait patiently while you converse with your team (gamers will understand :lol:).  However...

2.  It seemed as if he started to see Zombie Cha again once the medication had run out.  Was the timing a coincidence?

3.  But JW isn't actually getting hurt by Zombie Cha.  In the hospital scene where he was running away, he was struck multiple times but those wounds disappeared once he "came out of AR world".  Does this mean that he will literally die if he dies "in the game"?  Or is it all in his head?  Have the two worlds actually merged or is that just something we were lead to believe (but isn't true)?

Now if he is going crazy, then do all who play the game end up that way?  Has the game altered the mind?  Did the same happen to CHS?  Really, I am enjoying all these questions.  I'll just be disappointed if I get to the end and the answer has a lot of conflicts.

That scene of JW trapping himself in the shower stall and being curled up in the corner was terribly crushing.  Because I saw it from a perspective of him being crazy, I ended up sympathizing with him without concern for "the game".  I just wanted to give him a hug when he was on the phone with HJ, telling her that he was really fine (when he actually wasn't).  To watch him slowly fall apart with panic/anxiety as it got later into the night... :cold_sweat:   I thought it was acted out wonderfully.

Pretty much, I enjoyed the selfless concern they showed for each other.  The same for HJ staying by JW's side and not wanting to leave.

I'm choosing to ignore anything and everything that has to do with medicine and gravity. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, DOCDOC said:

I think I understand hee ju character. I think SJJ already explained all why hee joo worried? hee ju care about Jin woo? Hee joo is a kind heart and warm person not someone whos is cold or don't care person. Please see from heejoo personality. Jin Woo fell from six floor on her hostel. With her personality, of course she feel responsible and worried. is not strange at all for feel like that, remember she a warm and kind heart person. Not someone like his second wife personality.  for more, Jin Woo just buy her hostel. and give her magic in her life.

Jin woo already love Hee Joo, but he just keep denied. 

I agree, HJ is just a simply and caring person.  Her only complexity in life is being the sole bread winner of her family which also develops her as a responsible and caring person for her family.   She has a kind heart and feel grateful to JW for her windfall that solved her financial issues.  However, when she saw JW suffering and going crazy, she wanted to return him the money and hoped that everything would resume back to normal...she linked his spates of bad luck to that transaction of buying her bonita hostel(?) which seemed unrelated.   So HJ is just simply cute and sweet in nature.....a breath of fresh air for JW who has been meeting the wrong type of women not suited for him and unfortunately married them wrongly too....   But I am really glad he met HJ.   

SJ behaved too much like a victim, as if JW has always been giving her the shorter end of the stick but I believed he loved her before......perhaps he really neglected her emotionally but still it did not give her the right to betray the trust in a marriage.  Even her father-in-law was still fuming mad with her messing around with both good friends, their business and in the end his son's life went into it as well from his POV. 

The second wife was like someone he married in a fit of spitefulness to spite his friend and his ex-wife but in the end, he was on the losing end himself.  

I actually enjoyed the tempo of Ep 5 and 6 for me to slowly think through things.  I think this repeated attack from the zombie Cha was worthwhile for us to understand how JW slowly learned how to deal with him.  The attacks were relevant because each time we heard his inner thoughts when the attack happened.   I felt his horror of living like that....constantly being pursuit by an enemy.  I cannot help but think this is a good way of sharing what game addiction is all about.  Obviously, his opponent was "addicted" to the game and bent on killing him whenever he could even if there was a real motive to kill him...it was done through the "fun" of a game.   And to drive one to think that he was crazy was another horror to me.

I don't know all the answers to explain this strange phenomenon that JW is going through but the story really sets one thinking about many things.  So I must say I am still enjoying the drama a lot.  And of course the possible start of a romance between the two is starting to flutter my heart too.   It's not just a regular romance but a romance of hardships and difficulties that they would go through together to solve this MOA mystery seems exciting to me...

HJ's sis is really an important character, she gives out so many tips of info so relevant for us to know...so I like her for her precociousness. 

Prof Cha is such a serious character but I like his presence to add more mystery to the story....Is he really a caring uncle and father only or more? The way he tried to cover everything up for JW now appeared that he wanted to clear JW of any possible murder but it's quite odd considering the person who died was his son.  So he is definitely enigmatic.

SJ touched her pregnant tummy with some amount of angst in her when her father-in-law hinted at her for a no-autopsy option.   So would she grow to hate JW even more in days to come, never knowing what was JW's involvement in her husband's death?   I feel even more resentment growing in her for JW, not just a baby growing in her.    So is she going to be a time bomb which would explode in time to come?   *shivers* for JW.

• Like 9

aww finally watched episode 6 i feel for JW :( and I must agree of with @lovehbhjw2013 the pace of episode 5 and 6 are just right, JW got tired of fighting, avoiding and then realizing that he/they must stop competing with HS. 

--

I think Prof Cha is the real villain

--

I do not know why, why HJ cried in the train station tho hehe

---

would there be a time lapse?

---

i looooveee Park Shin Hye's outfit/dresses.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Raquel Bastian said:

aww finally watched episode 6 i feel for JW :( and I must agree of with @lovehbhjw2013 the pace of episode 5 and 6 are just right, JW got tired of fighting, avoiding and then realizing that he/they must stop competing with HS. 

--

I think Prof Cha is the real villain

--

I do not know why, why JW cried in the train station tho hehe

---

would there be a time lapse?

---

i looooveee Park Shin Hye's outfit/dresses.

I find Prof Cha very suspicious too but I also find it hard to think that he would want his son to die this way unless Cha junior is not his flesh and blood??

• Like 4

I think Emma is the name of a spanish guitarist , someone that HJ wanted to become like her

so why Se Ju created this character in his games;

Now HJ comes back to Seoul, I think maybe she opens a store she sells .... guitars 

and this store's name ................Emma ???!!!

I wonder too about the character of Prof Cha bc this actor was the villain in W

but ... to kill his son ????????? it's too much  right ???

I think HS didn't want becoming a traitor; he left JOne and created another company

just to show his dad and JW he's capable and talented..... not a dumb.

I know many persons leave theirs companies and create theirs owns... it's called start-up.

it's normal

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Raquel Bastian said:

chingus how about during the time leap a year after, JW said that half he was right and half he was completely wrong... 

what was he referring to?

Honestly i'm not sure. Because i cant recall him sharing any substantial info with HJ yet. His full sentence was what happened to the future i predicted to HJ, i got half of it right, another completely wrong.

Maybe he's refering to the game. I think in the earlier episodes he did say that the game will bring lots of people to granada in the future and boost its tourism industry.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Raquel Bastian said:

chingus how about during the time leap a year after, JW said that half he was right and half he was completely wrong... 

what was he referring to?

JW said that:

1. Alhambra will become a magical place

2. Tourists, especially the rich, will flock there.

So my guess is  (1) is true because the game went on playing there automatically and lured him to return magically but (2) is not true because he never launched the game but everyday running for his dear life?

Did you also notice, that when in the game mode, his left leg could walk normally?   I am dying to find out how the writer-nim is going to explain all these variances logically.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, lovehbhjw2013 said:

I actually enjoyed the tempo of Ep 5 and 6 for me to slowly think through things.  I think this repeated attack from the zombie Cha was worthwhile for us to understand how JW slowly learned how to deal with him.  The attacks were relevant because each time we heard his inner thoughts when the attack happened.   I felt his horror of living like that....constantly being pursuit by an enemy.  I cannot help but think this is a good way of sharing what game addiction is all about.  Obviously, his opponent was "addicted" to the game and bent on killing him whenever he could even if there was a real motive to kill him...it was done through the "fun" of a game.   And to drive one to think that he was crazy was another horror to me.

That's so true! I felt it fully as well.
What paranoia!
The character eventually escapes from this hellhole. Call him a coward if you want, I would have done the same. But the open question is: is there any place he can run if the game continues? Or is the game limited to Granada, as it is supposed to be. Such a game on a global scale would become apocalyptic.
The rest of your commentary relates many events that I loved during these two episodes, which may have created new potentially explosive situations. Thank you!

• Like 5

Hi, I thought I could come after watching the episodes, without fear of spoil, but some people talk about the preview (which I never watch, of course!). Heol!

I feel the need to react to some comments, and perhaps by this way to help people appreciate the drama, as I do.

Mistakes in the story? People hate mistakes because they have the negative effect of taking the viewer out of the atmosphere of the drama.

- Western series contain tons of errors. As for the big show films, we can say that they are becoming grotesque because of that.

- Dramas in general have a large number of errors, and in comparison, those of SJJ very few, while having a much higher scenario complexity. But when we love, we would also like it to be perfect, where there is a chance that it could, while we will be more forgiving where we know it will never be.

- The film "Interstellar" is a good example. As a Western film, I find it particularly good. The director took the trouble to consult physicists to make his story more credible. And yet, from the point of view of cosmological physics, there are quite a few mistakes. As this film has a very large number of admirers or people who consider it a "cult film", it has not been forgiven much. It's cruel, isn't it?

- I am suspicious of any hasty judgment about SJJ stories. At first glance, we think we will find mistakes, and when we get to the end, or sometimes after reviewing the drama 3 or 4 times (or more), we end up finding and understanding that there are no mistakes. The perfect example is "W", whose only mistake I remember is the scene where Yoon-Jo shakes his father when he is seriously injured (it's really not very serious on the part of a future surgeon, even a supposed bad one!). Many people have remained under the false impression that this drama still contains inconsistencies today. I abandoned the idea of explaining step by step wherever they were wrong, because it is an endless job, given the incredible number of subtleties in the story.

- As I have been writing for several months, I better understand how errors can occur, when you end up lost and sunk under your own script. This is even more true when you write a very complex story, with tons of mysteries. I estimate that writing a one-hour episode should take at least 48 hours on a full-time basis (i.e., a week of normal time). It is very easy to inadvertently place an inconsistency in the first episodes, which will only become an real inconsistency after writing an episode weeks later. It happened to me, no matter how many times I had read again my script, everything seemed correct to me, because I attach a lot of importance to the logic of the story. Suddenly, the mistake jumped at my face, it was totally hidden, unexpected, perhaps even the majority of spectators would not have noticed it. But a smart spectator, or one who would have just clicked as I had just found it, might have found it. I would be open to criticism after that, but more importantly, I would have created a "hole in the scenario" that undermines it, disappointing me in the first place. I became aware of how vulnerable the author could be to his own mistakes, despite his best will and hard work. Now I live in fear that a hidden inconsistency has escaped me again.

- Of course, I could be forgiven more by saying that I'm not a professional, and it's true I'm not a professional screenwriter. However, this professional aspect concerns above all the adaptation to the screen, the formalisation of the script, not the story! Writing a good story should be the concern of anyone who writes one, as long as you are fully committed to it and work hard. There is no notion of professionalism in that. So making a mistake in a scenario is something human, and a professional will make as many mistakes as anyone else, at least that's my opinion, maybe I'm wrong.

- I didn't comment on it, but I noted what could be mistakes in the drama. The 6-floor fall, of course. It was explained "by pulling the hair", the fall was not direct and obstacles slowed it down, it seems to me quite credible. Regarding falls, there are huge disparities, some people die falling from the second floor, some others have almost nothing when they fall from much higher ground. There are even extreme cases of true stories of people who fell from a plane, hundreds of meters high, and only had one arm broken.

- The damage from the fall and how JW manages to overcome it may have something to do with the game? This would typically be the kind of error that is not, because it relates to the logic of the plot. We can see for a short while that when he falls, his screen shows his loss of health, like in a game. In a game too, healing is not realistic, and often very fast not to slow down the action. In some games, drinking a potion is enough to instantly recover your health points.

- I did, however, note what could be another mistake, and that people here have not noticed. The zombie comes to attack JW when he's in the gun shop. However, we know very well that in a game, merchants are places where it is impossible to meet enemies. This was remarkably used by a Japanese animated show set in a virtual world (I forgot the name, sorry), and where there is a murder in a place like this, whereas it is theoretically impossible, which leads to an exciting police investigation. But again, caution is recommended. Is this a mistake because the writer doesn't play video games enough? Or will it be consistent, when we know better the rest of the plot?

Is the sentimental story too fast? According to some people.
Is it too slow? According to others.
While we worry about whether it is too fast or too slow, we forget to appreciate it simply as it is told to us. Too fast criticism has this annoying propensity to take us away from the pleasure of the present moment.

- I noticed a comment that is surprising that the story is progressing so quickly when HJ has only met JW for two days.

- In fact, the number of days does not matter. What matters is not the real time told by the story, it is the subjective time of the viewer. If in a story, the characters meet for 6 months, but it only lasts two episodes in subjective time, the love story will have difficulty establishing itself.

- The opposite is also true. The love story can become very intense when the characters met 12 hours ago! However, these 12 hours will last 6 episodes.

- What counts is the number of interactions between the two lovers during the time the viewer can see them on the screen.

- As an illustration of this phenomenon, I will give the example of the film "Titanic", regardless of whether or not I like it. The love story lasts about 3 days, and it made the film a record-breaking success.

Is the rhythm of the story too slow?
@frozentundra noted this point, and I felt it was spoiling a little the pleasure he felt watching the drama. Which, of course, I don't wish him!

- This is an aspect I have noted since the beginning of the drama, and one that I easily accept. This drama will not be as fast as "W". It takes longer to establish its atmosphere. Moreover, a too fast pace would harm this atmosphere.

- This is again cruel, because there were many spectators who found "W" too fast, and containing too many "plot twist". It seems crazy to me that one can blame a quality because it was just perfect! But it is difficult to satisfy everyone.

- Did the author take these criticisms into account to deliver a story that is easier to follow? It's possible, but I don't wish her well. I just wish her to tell the stories she wants to tell, and in the way she wants to. However, in the difficult context of the production environment in Korea, it may be a constraint and imperative to comply more with spectators' expectations. This was reflected in an interview with the author.

- SJJ's drama "Nine time travel" was really an old-fashioned drama. The first episode was devoid of any plot. It took four whole episodes to launch the drama. (typical of old dramas). Once done, it's impossible to get out of it. Overall, the drama was not very fast paced, but it was exciting. It can be said that in comparison, "memories of the alhambra" has a more sustained rhythm.

- The rythm and content of the episodes depends on the general chronology established by the scriptwriter. It is sometimes a mess to put everything in the right order. One plot progresses along with several others, and must meet at key moments. This becomes even more difficult in a complex story full of mysteries and twists and turns.

- I only realized that the plot about the appearance of the zombie had not progressed much, only after reading your comments! I loved these two episodes so much that I gave up all expectation, to focus only on what I saw. There have been a lot of new things about other aspects of story.

- After analysis, it seems to me that this is a chronological arrangement. The author needs to allow herself the time necessary for the rest of what she has to say. And certainly the only time it can reasonably do so is here.

- I would like to share my meager experience, to give an idea of the problem. For me, adjusting the chronology is sometimes a real nightmare. There are many ideas and situations to take place, I doubt constantly when exactly they should take place. Worse, if it happens at the wrong time, it could lead to an error. This represents several text files with hundreds of lines of ideas each, which I try to put in order. I thought it would be better as I approach the last phases of the story, but not at all. The idea text files are filled in as they are emptied. I certainly wouldn't have as many problems if I wrote a more banal story, but the world of "W" is merciless about it.

- I reach a limit in this work, when I know that I would not be able to organize things any more during the preparatory phase. Or if I insist, I will destroy the magic moment of writing itself, where these ideas will unfold and bring new and unexpected emotions. To be able to keep everything in order, I have to abandon the organization of ideas, and start writing again. Then I pick from the idea files the situations corresponding to moments close to the general chronology. Sometimes the exact order is not respected as I thought. Sometimes situations are abandoned, sometimes new unlisted situations are created, sometimes a situation takes longer to write than expected, or sometimes much shorter. Sometimes there is a very important key scene, advancing the main plot, and I am forced to move this scene back, because if I don't, other important situations could not fit into the chronology before that, and could never be inserted later. Miraculously, I sometimes manage to move back one of these scenes, by presenting it as a flashback, at a time when it is possible.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, lduc said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hide contents

Spoiler

Hi Chingus,

I have been a long time non active member of this forum and I only participate when a drama captivates my curiosity with unanswered questions...and this drama has done just that...it brought me out of lurk mode...

Spoiler

I just wanted to say in the previews for the next episode, from the images above. It looks like JW is holding an umbrella but it isn't really raining. HJ doesn't look like she is wet or getting wet, yet it looks like it is raining in the street. Could it mean that he is still seeing or experiencing the game even in Seoul.

From the previous episodes it baffles me that the guy his partner at the company, and the other gamer dude who works for him did not look into the game viewer to see what is really going on. I mean they all knew he was playing the game, and he keeps talking about seeing the dead ghost of his ex-friend, shouldn't they be curious to look into the game rather than just take the Dr's word for it and pass him off as insane? His Secretary knew he was playing too didn't he?

Apart from suspecting Prof. Cha, I'm also suspecting his partner/friend who wears glasses...so who decided to go ahead and launch the game in other cities, I sure don't think JW would be a part of that decision after what the game has put him through...

I want more insight on his previous marriages, what went wrong between him Dr. Cha and his father to make them such enemies...I feel the secret to the game gone wrong, somewhat lies there... Prof. Cha looks like a greedy old man who will stop at nothing to make sure he gets his way, even if it means getting rid of his own son somehow...as he hit him in front of his friend and ordered him to leave...What was that all about?

Dr.Cha to me also seemed like an abusive person, for whatever reason, his wife was extremely scared of him, as he had angry fits, and it didn't seem like they had a healthy relationship as she told JW they were never happy...Is there any possibility at all that he faked his death somehow? using his knowledge of the game and is trying to use it to cause JW to loose his mind?

I'm also concerned that HJ and her family are not really concerned about the disappearance of her brother, they even moved back to Korea in the coming episode? he was still a minor too..no matter what patterns he has demonstrated in the past, she seems more concerned about a JW a stranger who she barely knows than her own brother...

Why didn't JW let HJ in on the game? when he asked her to bring the lens, I was hoping she would put them on out of curiosity and see part of what he sees, at least that would help her understand him...she comes across as someone who would believe him and trust him if he told her the truth even if she knows nothing about the game...

As for the romance element, I see that he is slowly falling for her or at least was attracted to her since that episode where he muttered to himself, "You're looking for trouble", which by the way sounded to me like a sexual innuendo HAHA

I think something about her innocence touches him especially after being surrounded by wolves, such as his 2nd wife and his ex-friend who stole his first wife...his first wife also seems somewhat innocent...

I also feel that he feels like she is his safe heaven, not only in the game but also in reality from his complicated mess of a life...

I still don't know how she fell into selling the hostel to him, I mean I know she was desperate for money, but the way he pressured her to sign with time, to me should of hinted to her that he was desperate for the hotel and would do anything to own it...

As for her falling for him, all I can say is he is super handsome...thanks to HB and that nonchalant, confidence and charm has a way of tugging at a girl's heart...For some girls especially those with low self esteem when a guy withdraws it just makes them go crazy over him even more, that's the only way I can explain that running after him crying at the train station (the typical kdrama scene haha) I guess after sending her a huge bouquet of roses she thought their relationship is finally going somewhere only to be hit by the realization that he is leaving for good without even saying goodbye...

If this was real life for me, a man like him would be a huge red flag, someone who is still technically married, twice failed marriages, he already has a negative view of marriage, to me that is a disaster of a man who will string you a long and keep you at his convenience without fully committing to you, but for the sake of drama land and for the Handsome leading man, I'll play along.... 

Side note...I have only watched HB in Secret Garden and Kim Samsoon and why don't I remember him being this sexy/handsome!!!!!! Seriously I need more of him LMAO

Thank you all for reading my super long thoughts lols

Edited by stroppyse
Please do not quote images, even in spoilers. Thanks.
  • Like 7

@wenchanteur Thanks for sharing your insights of the script-writing for this drama...

Regarding mistakes in the story,  I can accept it as long as it is not blatantly against logic in the way things work or even against the logic of how normal people respond to certain things for an average person to know immediately.  For sc-fi, fantasy movies like interstellar (btw I enjoy this movie a lot from an imagination perspective), it is way too complex for an average man-in-the-street to understand quantum or cosmological physics, I'll just say, enjoy it as a movie which can stretch your imagination wildly of the existence of a 5th dimension. 

I felt that the movie has done a decent job in providing good entertainment value and that's the most important.

As for the falling from the 6th floor, I totally agree that even in real-life events, there have been many odd reports of people surviving from a high floor fall and people just dying from tripping over something.  So that is not exactly a script mistake, it is possible.  He was not falling from a ridiculously high floor like > 20 floors so it's an acceptable range to survive the fall.

• Like 7