[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra, 알함브라 궁전의 추억

Admin

17 hours ago, packmule3 said:

3. The memories of Granada, or to more concise, HISTORY of Granada is right in front of our eyes.Granada is associated with the two famous Catholic monarchs, Isabella and Ferdinand. They are credited for unifying Spain and elevating it to a super-power at the time.

Isabella was the heiress to the Kingdom of Castile, and it isn’t far-fetch to thing that Isabella will be represented by HeeJoo in this kdrama. After all, Heejoo is the owner of Hostal Bonita. Bonita and bella are Spanish for beautiful.

On the other hand, Ferdinand was the heir to the Kingdom of Aragon. JinWoo will represent him in this story. If you notice, the knight that approached JinWoo on a horse and died in front of him from arrows, as well as the knights killed by his arch-rival HyungSeo were knights of Aragon.

Under the reign of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, Granada was reconquered from the Moors by 1492.  We can foresee that, in this kdrama, Heejoo and JinWoo will team up in a game to defeat the warriors of the Nasrid dynasty who ruled the Kingdom of Granada.

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/12/06/memories-of-the-alhambra-first-impressions/

Thanks for your insight about the history of Granada,especially about the similarity between Isabella/Ferdinand and HJ/JW.This is an interesting comparison

• Like 5

Analog meets digital in Park Shin-hye’s new drama
04:50 PM November 28, 2018
ESS16764-620x930.jpg

Park Shin-hye and Hyun-bin star in newest drama streamed on Netflix

SEOUL—The historic setting of Alhambra, Spain serves as the perfect backdrop for tVN’s “Memories of the Alhambra”.  Director Ahn Gil-ho chose the location exactly because of it.

“Granada, Spain is rich in Islamic and medieval backdrop.  It is a historical site and putting the digital aspect into it becomes very symbolic.  You meld the analog with the digital together,” said director Ahn during the press conference held in Gangnam today, Nov. 28

The director is talking about the augmented reality (AR) element in the drama. Using AR is the first of its kind in the K-drama landscape. In “Memories of the Alhambra”, the characters wear smart lenses and they become players in an AR game.

“I had to imagine what scene was being created.  For example, there is a way to grip a sword and I needed to sustain that grip by myself.  We had to shoot a lot of scenes several times because it had to be taken from my perspective and the perspective of those around me,” said actor Hyun-bin who plays Yoo Jin-woo.  Hyun-bin is known for his previous dramas such as “My name is Kim Sam-soon” and “Secret Garden”.

The drama will be streamed one hour after broadcast on Netflix starting Saturday, Dec. 1.  Ahn said that the drama can stand against other shows on the streaming platform because “Memories of the Alhambra” has its own color.

DSC05194-620x413.jpg

Shin-hye’s character is classical guitar player and hostel owner.

“Writer Song Jae-jung wrote a very tight story.  Her story will surely capture a lot of attention on the global stage,” said Ahn.  The writer is also the writer for “Nine” and “W”.  The director promised that the story can be followed by gamers and non-gamers.

Actress Park Shin-hye said that while AR is an element, the story of “Memories of the Alhambra” is not exclusively about it.  The actress is known for her roles in “The Heirs”, “You’re Beautiful,” “Doctors” and “Pinocchio”.  She plays the character of Jung Hee-joo who is a classical guitar player and is a hostel owner.

“The drama has a really riveting story.  In one hour, I finished reading six chapters of the script,” she said.

The actors had to shoot for a month in Alhambra.  The labor laws of the country prevented them from working on weekends, thus allowing to bond, relax and take in the beautiful sights.

“Memories of the Alhambra” will premier on Netflix this Saturday, Dec. 1.  

https://lifestyle.inquirer.net/315455/analog-meets-digital-in-park-shin-hyes-new-drama/

• Like 4

I do not share the previous opinion. For the moment, I don't find it prejudicial that we don't see Park Shin Hye enough (and yet, I love her!), nor that the main character is a cheabol.
In the first case, it is more important that the story follows the course it must follow, rather than creating unnecessary scenes for a character that we will certainly see more later, and who I am sure will be of great importance.
In the second case, the position of president is largely justified by the plot, and it is not just "one more president" to satisfy a sentimental comedy.

Apart from that, I have a crucial question about the main dramatic jurisdiction. We are almost certain that there will be a parallel world from the VR.
But how will this be justified?
Nine and Queen Hyun's man used a supernatural source. It was magical, unexplained, but rational in a sense.
For "W", what was absolutely fantastic, and radically broke with other stories (like "Matrix" for example), was that it was totally irrational, absurd, crazy. I really loved it, because as absurd as the basic principle was, so logical was it developed in the form of laws.

But what about Alhambra?!
A once again absurd explanation would be a little repetitive in relation to "W".
What will be the explanation of this VR world? Will this be based on a totally physically conceivable explanation (even if a little exaggerated)?
In the science fiction saga "Hyperion", artificial intelligences become so advanced that they eventually leave the material support that allows them to exist. They live in a totally conceptual world, another unknown dimension.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, wenchanteur said:

Apart from that, I have a crucial question about the main dramatic jurisdiction. We are almost certain that there will be a parallel world from the VR.
But how will this be justified?
Nine and Queen Hyun's man used a supernatural source. It was magical, unexplained, but rational in a sense.
For "W", what was absolutely fantastic, and radically broke with other stories (like "Matrix" for example), was that it was totally irrational, absurd, crazy. I really loved it, because as absurd as the basic principle was, so logical was it developed in the form of laws.

But what about Alhambra?!
A once again absurd explanation would be a little repetitive in relation to "W".
What will be the explanation of this VR world? Will this be based on a totally physically conceivable explanation (even if a little exaggerated)?
In the science fiction saga "Hyperion", artificial intelligences become so advanced that they eventually leave the material support that allows them to exist. They live in a totally conceptual world, another unknown dimension.

I only watched Ep 1 and I am not sure I will have the time to pursue this drama live because I am committed to starting another one soon.  My thoughts on the difference between and Augmented Reality and the Virtual Reality (ala Matrix).  In the AR world, you are living in the real world but your perception of it is 'augmented' or 'altered'.  The recent Pokemon craze is a salient example.  People were congregating in Parks, in public places, not to relate to the reality (the people, the trees, the surroundings) but were solely there to catch Pokemon.  In our hero's case, he totally in ignored the glorious architecture of Granada, the cobbled streets, the colourful spectacle, the people and his whole focus was instead on the game...traipsing through the lovely restaurant to use the bathroom (not to eat or meet someone but to get a sword) over and over again.  So he is in the real world (he talks to the waiter - Hello, waiter is kinda hot :lol:), but he's doing other worldly things.  He doesn't sleep all night because he is consumed with his desire to defeat the Nasrid warrior.  He ignores PSH and honestly only really 'sees' her when it dawns on him that she is of 'use' to him as she is the Sister of the game creator.  Personally I think the lines between the virtual and the real is a lot more blurred in augmented reality.  People are living in the real world while looking for Pokemon.  They just aren't doing real world things if that makes sense.  So when I read that his desire is for Granada/Alhambra to be remembered for being the start of this augmented existence it sends a shiver up my spine.  No longer will people congregate on that beautiful town square to admire the architecture, the scenery, the people of Spain, all that matters to them is to kill that Nasrid warrior with that sword from the bathroom, can you imagine that section of town with countless people swinging make believe swords?  It's not far off the scenes recently from the hundreds that descended on a park near my home - everyone there to catch this one rare Pokemon - no-one was there on the play equipment, no-one was kicking a ball around, everyone was on their phone, nobody talked to anybody except when someone yelled out that he had caught it?  It was bizarre to witness.  

PSH to me seems to (pure speculation on my part) play the crucial link to reality.  She is very down to earth.  She obviously loves the romance of Spain (the real Spain) - the sights, the sounds, the smells, the colours.  None of which seems to be what HyunBin's character sees right now.  Perhaps the writer is exploring how this new AR is impacting us and serves as a warning to have fun, but set very clear guidelines as to when to call it quits.  When people get knocked over by cars walking around consumed with their desire to catch that rare Pokemon, we've gone too far.  Digital is not all good.  We need to find the time to disconnect and engage with the real world and truly live.  Maybe that's the message the writer is trying to convey?

I don't admit to know how far this writer will take the merging of the virtual with the real.  Like you said, she could deliver some sort of supernatural element into it to justify it.  Or she could delve into mind over matter...like schizophrenia?  Where your mind is so consumed with the game that you really believe yourself living in it - a kind of brainwashing of sorts.  Anyway, that's my thoughts on AR and VR in general.  May or may not play much in this drama.  Happy watching the rest of you.  I am going to retire to my safe 'real world' ensconced drama that starts Monday.  Adios amigos. :)

• Like 4

Every story begins with a memory. As for Memories of the Alhambra, it's the history behind the AR game SJ developed. 1492 marked a painful past that made Granada famous. King Boabdil of the Nasrid Dynasty surrendered his Muslim Granada kingdom at the Alhambra, and the palace was then later made the courts of the Catholic King Ferdinand of Aragon and Queen Isabelle of Castille. Through the Alhambra Decree, all the Jews were expelled from Spain. Thus, Spain became a unified Catholic country. 

Like what JW said, many people visit Granada to see the Alhambra. It's a grand piece of architecture that exemplifies Arabic aesthetic, though it has been altered through the years to reflect Catholic taste. The guitar piece "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" sums up the awe people feel when they walk in its courts. With its rich history as the last stand of the Moors and a silent witness to the forced exodus of Jews and Muslim-to-Christian converts, it embodies Granada. 

How is this connected to our modern story? I'll write about it later bc now my batt is dying. Haha

• Like 5