[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra, 알함브라 궁전의 추억

Admin

If that’s HEE-JOO’s room does it mean Shin Hye has two personality/role in this drama ? 1 is princess and 1 is poor ? Very intriguing can’t wait for Saturday/Sunday to come . I just she’ll have 1 is strong character and 1 is naive.

• Like 4

On 12/4/2018 at 10:15 AM, frozentundra said:

My guess is that the virtual world overrides reality somehow, and becomes a real danger. 

Also that the brother disappeared into the game somehow. 

After watching both eps, I believe that the virtual world has overide the reality as well and that place is Granada. Notice how SJ was on a train from Barcelona to Granada and as soon as the train enters into Granda the grey clouds and thunderstorms of the AR world begins just like in the end of ep 2 where JW is on a train to Granda and upon his entry the AR world  begins too. I think @DOCDOC mentions that JW is also wearing the same shoes and jacket as to SJ which indicates that those are a part of the game level up prizes and he even got a gun weapon upgrade. I think that since both SJ and JW got shot by the games masked men they will most likely to meet. Maybe that is JW purpose to enter into that world and find and save SJ. As for the lady in red, I think she was created by SJ and going by the descriptions of the sister and brother relationship the lady in red is perhaps the saving grace of the game. Though I would love to see PSH play a antagonist role whom wants this game to take ove the reality of the world but maybe not. Her role dressed in both white and red gowns symbols more like a wizard.

@alcides14ahjumma and @frozentundra I dont think we see the last of this man too. He was the last man whom encountered SJ and he didnt pick up SJ backpack and left it on the train..His a backpacker and I wonder if he'll book himself into HJ hotel.

Here's his IG

On 12/5/2018 at 3:34 AM, rori0711 said:

A year ago...what happened to the future I predicted to Heeju? I got half of it right. And the other half...I got completely wrong. - Yoo Jinwoo

Shookt! :scream: 

JW epilogue sent shivers down my spine too. Im scared as to know what will happen to them in the space of 1 year. The game seems to have taken over Alhambra and those in Granda can def not leave or those coming back will enter another new world..hmmm?? I cant wait to watch on lol! Im loving my busy weekend more now :blush:

• Like 10

13 hours ago, nistymaj01 said:

Let me join you in that :joy: We are so techie SH will be so proud of us LOL

Lol! Add me on that,  way above 40, but having a great time with this new unique drama, a challenge , but enjoying it! I did not know that I would live to see this! Thank you Shin Hye! Intelligent Entertainment! Lol! :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

I'm going to blog about this. I'll only post an excerpt here so I don't waste people's time. I'm known to write detailed and boring posts. :)

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/12/06/memories-of-the-alhambra-first-impressions/

To be honest, I was drawn to the story because of the stairs.

To me, the spiral staircase is a brilliant symbol of the kind of adventure JinWoo is embarking on.

tumblr_pj2to1BPGv1vkgs14o2_640.gif?zoom=1.25&ssl=1

gif: kdrama-incarnate’s tumblr

First, he needs to be determined to mount the stairs. It isn’t to be undertaken lightly.
Second, without an elevator (or special powers), the six flights of steps are his personal hell.
Third, his life is going to “spiral” out of his control.
Fourth, he needs to exert himself physically to get from one level to another.
Fifth, the ambitious climb would have been easier without his baggage, real and emotional ones.
Sixth, on the other hand, he must make sure he has all that he needs before the climb because it’s a hassle to go back down again.
Lastly, after all the labor, the promised room at the top of the stairs might not even be worth it.

See that? Very clever, eh? The stairs aren’t there just for laughs or a conversation starter. It’s the metaphor for his future exploits.

Another reason I liked the kdrama was because the ending of Episode 2 paralleled the beginning of Episode 1. Whenever this happens in kdrama, it tells me that the writer and director are meticulous in developing their narrative and controlling the story.

The first episode starts with the Dongsaeng fleeing on a train to the safety of Granada. As the train approaches the Granada station, he hears the crack of thunder and notices the skies darken. Unarmed, he opens the door and he gets shot.

The second episode ends with JinWoo riding on a train. Granada is announced as the next station. As he limps to the exit, he too hears the ominous sound of thunder. Outside, dark clouds race to reach the train. He loads his guns and opens the car door and starts shooting.

The comparison doesn’t end here.

They both wear laced-up sneakers but JinWoo’s however are a bit dirtier (bloodied?). Once on game mode, JinWoo loses his limp and steps over a fallen body easily.

Judging from the difference in their reactions, this game experience is probably Dongsaeng’s first encounter with the gunman. He’s sweating, he curls up in a fetal position while sleeping, and he’s terrified when the dark clouds rolled in. He’s about to escape his train cabin when he’s shot.

In contrast, JinWoo is chill. He has scratches on his knuckles and he limps. He isn’t shocked, hesitant, or nervous to face the gunmen. He doesn’t run away even when the bullets are flying from both sides. He must have done this level before.

One small thing I’ve to note here. A year ago, on his first visit to Hotel Bonita, he teased HeeJoo that his luggage was heavy because he had guns in them. Of course, there wasn’t any. Now, he travels light, but he does carry guns.

3. The memories of Granada, or to more concise, HISTORY of Granada is right in front of our eyes.

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2018/12/06/memories-of-the-alhambra-first-impressions/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, packmule3 said:

I'm going to blog about this. I'll only post an excerpt here so I don't waste people's time. I'm known to write detailed and boring posts. :)

To me, the spiral staircase is a brilliant symbol of the kind of adventure JinWoo is embarking on.

gif: kdrama-incarnate’s tumblr

First, he needs to be determined to mount the stairs. It isn’t to be undertaken lightly.
Second, without an elevator (or special powers), the six flights of steps are his personal hell.
Fifth, the ambitious climb would have been easier without his baggage, real and emotional ones.
Sixth, on the other hand, he must make sure he has all that he needs before the climb because it’s a hassle to go back down again.
Lastly, after all the labor, the promised room at the top of the stairs might not even be worth it.

See that? Very clever, eh? The stairs aren’t there just for laughs or a conversation starter. It’s the metaphor for his future exploits.

Another reason I liked the kdrama was because the ending of Episode 2 paralleled the beginning of Episode 1. Whenever this happens in kdrama, it tells me that the writer and director are meticulous in developing their narrative and controlling the story.

The first episode starts with the Dongsaeng fleeing on a train to the safety of Granada. As the train approaches the Granada station, he hears the crack of thunder and notices the skies darken. Unarmed, he opens the door and he gets shot.

The second episode ends with JinWoo riding on a train. Granada is announced as the next station. As he limps to the exit, he too hears the ominous sound of thunder. Outside, dark clouds race to reach the train. He loads his guns and opens the car door and starts shooting.

They both wear laced-up sneakers but JinWoo’s however are a bit dirtier (bloodied?). Once on game mode, JinWoo loses his limp and steps over a fallen body easily.

Judging from the difference in their reactions, this game experience is probably Dongsaeng’s first encounter with the gunman. He’s sweating, he curls up in a fetal position while sleeping, and he’s terrified when the dark clouds rolled in. He’s about to escape his train cabin when he’s shot.

In contrast, JinWoo is chill. He has scratches on his knuckles and he limps. He isn’t shocked, hesitant, or nervous to face the gunmen. He doesn’t run away even when the bullets are flying from both sides. He must have done this level before.

One small thing I’ve to note here. A year ago, on his first visit to Hotel Bonita, he teased HeeJoo that his luggage was heavy because he had guns in them. Of course, there wasn’t any. Now, he travels light, but he does carry guns.

3. The memories of Granada, or to more concise, HISTORY of Granada is right in front of our eyes.

Your point of view is really very interesting, I appreciate it very much, even if sadly, it always leads me deeper into the spoil. ^^

I have something to add to your staircase!
After the very disappointing 6th floor.

Finally, what he needs is simply within his reach, on the ground floor. Putting aside his crazy ambition and desire for revenge, to try to sincerely meet Jung Hee-joo (Park Shin-hye), rather than trying to roll her in the flour.

Your psychological/symbolic interpretation is, in my opinion, highly valid, very likely. In "W", there was a scene of this type, a very strong scene, when Oh Yoon-Jo dived into the Han River to seek her true desire. First, she seemed to have forgotten Kang Chul and was looking for another relationship and seemed frivolous (it sounded rather strange to the viewer), then she was immersed in water (what is below the surface is a symbol of the unconscious), then tried to grap Kang Chul. And when she returned, she looked herself in the mirror. And another small mirror was on the table, also reflecting her face, as if to say that all the angles of her psyche were bare, deeply in agreement.

Concerning the scenery and the stairs, I travelled to Spain, and I slept in a pension of the same kind, with collective rooms. It was perfect because there was a good atmosphere, and it was cheap for a broke student like me.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, packmule3 said:

Detailed but definitely not boring ;) B) Your points are valid and acceptable.

Given this insightful premise, I am more thrilled to witness Jinwoo's journey and...uncover the secrets of Granada. 

You can tell how writer SJJ carefully and richly wrote this intricate story. She has a strong message to convey while everyone is caught up on the cutting edge technology in the show credits to excellent direction of director Ahn Gilho :wub: 

• Like 5

4 Things We Loved & 2 Things We Hated About The Premiere Of âMemories Of The Alhambraâ

4 Things We Loved & 2 Things We Hated About The Premiere Of “Memories Of The Alhambra”

Dec 5, 2018
by Azra_A

One of the year’s most talked-about dramas has finally arrived! “Memories of the Alhambra” stars Hyun Bin as Yoo Jin Woo, a hotshot CEO who shows up one night in the Spanish city of Granada, hoping for a bed at a rundown hostel owned by Jung Hee Joo (Park Shin Hye). What happens next is actual magic (or high-tech wizardry, at least).

We’ve got two of K-drama’s hottest stars on our hands here. Not to mention, “Memories of the Alhambra” is written by Song Jae Jung (of “W” fame) and directed by Ahn Gil Ho, who bought us “Forest of Secrets.” The question is, does the drama live up to its sky-high hype? Check out four things we loved and two things we hated about the first couple of episodes.

Warning: spoilers for the premiere episodes ahead!

LOVED: Hyun Bin’s return to TV

The last time we saw Hyun Bin on the small screen was nearly four years ago. Now that we finally meet him again in all his crisp linen summer blazer glory, all we can wonder is: how did we survive for so long without Binnie?

Spoiler

Hyun-Bin-Alhambra-2.gif

In “Memories of the Alhambra,” Hyun Bin’s character Jin Woo heads to Granada after a mysterious phone call from Jung Se Joo (EXO’s Chanyeol), who’s trying to find a buyer for the augmented reality game he created. We get to see many different sides of Jin Woo along the way. Yes, he’s a vain, pampered CEO. But he’s also a huge geek who cheerfully sword-fights with thin air, giving no thought to how ridiculous he looks. We also see that he’s a heartbroken ex-husband, regarding his now pregnant former wife with quiet devastation.

Hyun-Bin-Alhambra-4.jpg

HATED: Not enough Park Shin Hye

As you can tell, Jin Woo took most of our attention this first week. Park Shin Hye’s Hee Joo, on the other hand, doesn’t get very much to do in the first episodes. In what screen time she has, she mostly enables Jin Woo or reacts to things he did, which is pretty disappointing. Her character is described as a mysteriously alluring classical guitarist, but so far she comes off less “mysterious,” more “downtrodden,” and there’s hardly a guitar in sight.

Park Shin Hye has played some great, multi-faceted characters in the past. It’s okay if she’s not really a take-charge type in this drama. But we still want to see her as a complete, unique person, not just as a foil to the male lead. Here’s hoping we find out more about her next week.

Spoiler

Park-Shin-Hye-Alhambra-2.jpg

LOVED: The augmented reality concept

“Memories of the Alhambra” is that rare thing: a K-drama with a completely new concept. It’s the first Korean drama to tackle augmented reality gaming, and it does so in a thrilling, inventive way. It’s a huge relief that the graphics are top-notch too!

Spoiler

Memories-of-the-Alhambra-1.jpg

The exotic, sun-bleached elegance of Spain provides a perfect backdrop for our journey into the game. We get to explore the mysterious old city of Granada alongside Jin Woo. We never know which statue might come to life, or which long-forgotten knight could come riding around the corner. There’s no clear line which shows where the game ends and where real life begins, which is eerie and unsettling in the best way.

Spoiler

Memories-of-the-Alhambra-2.jpg

LOVED: The unexpected comedy

One of the dangers of a high-concept drama is that it ends up taking itself too seriously. Luckily, our writer Song Jae Jung knows how to balance the high stakes with a bit of cuteness and fun, just as she did in “W” – in the first half, at least.

Spoiler

Hyun-Bin-Alhambra-6.jpg

Jin Woo, in particular, has some great interactions with the people around him. It’s a treat watching him trying to eat ramyun while Hee Joo’s sister Min Joo (Lee Re) dances around the hostel kitchen, flinging her hair in his face. Even better are the reactions he gets at a local restaurant, where he keeps coming back to fetch an in-game weapon from the bathroom. If we were in that poor, confused waiter’s (incredibly sexy) shoes, we’d assume he had a bladder infection.

Spoiler

Memories-of-the-Alhambra-waiter.jpg

HATED: The classic Rich Guy/Poor Girl setup

Tale as old as time, song as old as a chaebol grandpa. This is a story of a rich, arrogant leading man and a poor but hard-working heroine, aka 75 percent of all dramas ever. It’s uninspired at best and lazy at worst. We’ve even seen both these actors do it before (Park Shin Hye in “Heirs” and Hyun Bin in “Secret Garden“).

Spoiler

Park-Shin-Hye-Hyun-Bin-Alhambra-1.jpg

It’s easy to see why such a well-trodden trope is tempting in a drama like this one. The concept is completely new, the plot could go to some strange places. You might want to ground the story in a familiar dynamic, giving the viewers something to hold on to. There are less irritating clichés to fall back on though, just sayin’. But there is hope yet! Just look at that final scene.

LOVED: The time jump at the end

It looks like episode 2 is going to end on a pretty standard note, as Jin Woo offers Hee Joo untold riches in return for the rights to the game, which was created by her underage brother Se Joo. As she considers his offer, we suddenly flash forward a whole year and find Jin Woo on the train, under the same looming clouds that came for Se Joo.

Spoiler

Hyun-Bin-Alhambra-7.jpg

Future Jin Woo has traded his slick suede shoes and breezy blazer for bloody Converse and a bulletproof vest. He walks with a limp and holds not one but two guns like a pro, as a cold-eyed killer stares him down. Um, WHAT? We’d just about come to terms with the drama’s concept and we already had one mystery to solve: what happened to Se Joo? Now it looks like Jin Woo’s whole world has fallen apart. What has the game done to him? And where’s Hee Joo? We can’t wait to find out!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Recuerdos de la Alhambra is an AR role-playing game set in 1492. The implements are medieval weaponry as this is the Battle of Granada. A player logs in as an Aragon fighter against the Nasrids.  But why are there modern guns on the train level? :ph34r: Does the game story move through the course of history? Or is he and SJ playing another game? The storm over Granada is likely AR, just like when the Alhambra is being bombed on Level 1. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, lduc said:
Spoiler

4 Things We Loved & 2 Things We Hated About The Premiere Of “Memories Of The Alhambra”

Dec 5, 2018
by Azra_A

One of the year’s most talked-about dramas has finally arrived! “Memories of the Alhambra” stars Hyun Bin as Yoo Jin Woo, a hotshot CEO who shows up one night in the Spanish city of Granada, hoping for a bed at a rundown hostel owned by Jung Hee Joo (Park Shin Hye). What happens next is actual magic (or high-tech wizardry, at least).

We’ve got two of K-drama’s hottest stars on our hands here. Not to mention, “Memories of the Alhambra” is written by Song Jae Jung (of “W” fame) and directed by Ahn Gil Ho, who bought us “Forest of Secrets.” The question is, does the drama live up to its sky-high hype? Check out four things we loved and two things we hated about the first couple of episodes.

Warning: spoilers for the premiere episodes ahead!

LOVED: Hyun Bin’s return to TV

The last time we saw Hyun Bin on the small screen was nearly four years ago. Now that we finally meet him again in all his crisp linen summer blazer glory, all we can wonder is: how did we survive for so long without Binnie?

Reveal hidden contents

In “Memories of the Alhambra,” Hyun Bin’s character Jin Woo heads to Granada after a mysterious phone call from Jung Se Joo (EXO’s Chanyeol), who’s trying to find a buyer for the augmented reality game he created. We get to see many different sides of Jin Woo along the way. Yes, he’s a vain, pampered CEO. But he’s also a huge geek who cheerfully sword-fights with thin air, giving no thought to how ridiculous he looks. We also see that he’s a heartbroken ex-husband, regarding his now pregnant former wife with quiet devastation.

HATED: Not enough Park Shin Hye

As you can tell, Jin Woo took most of our attention this first week. Park Shin Hye’s Hee Joo, on the other hand, doesn’t get very much to do in the first episodes. In what screen time she has, she mostly enables Jin Woo or reacts to things he did, which is pretty disappointing. Her character is described as a mysteriously alluring classical guitarist, but so far she comes off less “mysterious,” more “downtrodden,” and there’s hardly a guitar in sight.

kwanh

Park Shin Hye has played some great, multi-faceted characters in the past. It’s okay if she’s not really a take-charge type in this drama. But we still want to see her as a complete, unique person, not just as a foil to the male lead. Here’s hoping we find out more about her next week.

Reveal hidden contents

LOVED: The augmented reality concept

“Memories of the Alhambra” is that rare thing: a K-drama with a completely new concept. It’s the first Korean drama to tackle augmented reality gaming, and it does so in a thrilling, inventive way. It’s a huge relief that the graphics are top-notch too!

Reveal hidden contents

The exotic, sun-bleached elegance of Spain provides a perfect backdrop for our journey into the game. We get to explore the mysterious old city of Granada alongside Jin Woo. We never know which statue might come to life, or which long-forgotten knight could come riding around the corner. There’s no clear line which shows where the game ends and where real life begins, which is eerie and unsettling in the best way.

Reveal hidden contents

LOVED: The unexpected comedy

One of the dangers of a high-concept drama is that it ends up taking itself too seriously. Luckily, our writer Song Jae Jung knows how to balance the high stakes with a bit of cuteness and fun, just as she did in “W” – in the first half, at least.

Reveal hidden contents

Jin Woo, in particular, has some great interactions with the people around him. It’s a treat watching him trying to eat ramyun while Hee Joo’s sister Min Joo (Lee Re) dances around the hostel kitchen, flinging her hair in his face. Even better are the reactions he gets at a local restaurant, where he keeps coming back to fetch an in-game weapon from the bathroom. If we were in that poor, confused waiter’s (incredibly sexy) shoes, we’d assume he had a bladder infection.

Reveal hidden contents

HATED: The classic Rich Guy/Poor Girl setup

Tale as old as time, song as old as a chaebol grandpa. This is a story of a rich, arrogant leading man and a poor but hard-working heroine, aka 75 percent of all dramas ever. It’s uninspired at best and lazy at worst. We’ve even seen both these actors do it before (Park Shin Hye in “Heirs” and Hyun Bin in “Secret Garden“).

Reveal hidden contents

It’s easy to see why such a well-trodden trope is tempting in a drama like this one. The concept is completely new, the plot could go to some strange places. You might want to ground the story in a familiar dynamic, giving the viewers something to hold on to. There are less irritating clichés to fall back on though, just sayin’. But there is hope yet! Just look at that final scene.

LOVED: The time jump at the end

It looks like episode 2 is going to end on a pretty standard note, as Jin Woo offers Hee Joo untold riches in return for the rights to the game, which was created by her underage brother Se Joo. As she considers his offer, we suddenly flash forward a whole year and find Jin Woo on the train, under the same looming clouds that came for Se Joo.

Reveal hidden contents

Future Jin Woo has traded his slick suede shoes and breezy blazer for bloody Converse and a bulletproof vest. He walks with a limp and holds not one but two guns like a pro, as a cold-eyed killer stares him down. Um, WHAT? We’d just about come to terms with the drama’s concept and we already had one mystery to solve: what happened to Se Joo? Now it looks like Jin Woo’s whole world has fallen apart. What has the game done to him? And where’s Hee Joo? We can’t wait to find out!

AGREE WITH THIS. Not Enough Park Shin Hye screen Time. I HOPE EP 3, MORE ABOUT JUNG HEE JOO N RED VEIL WOMAN STORY. WE ALL KNOW THE STORY ABOUT JIN WOO STORY FOR THE TWO EPOSODE. EP 3 ABOUT JUNG HEE JOO N RED VEIL WOMAN STORY. EP 4 BALANCE JIN WOO AND HEE JOO SCREEN TIME.

Edited by LyraYoo
Please do not quote images and long post , thank you
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, lduc said:

Shin Hye has played some great, multi-faceted characters in the past. It’s okay if she’s not really a take-charge type in this drama. But we still want to see her as a complete, unique person, not just as a foil to the male lead. Here’s hoping we find out more about her next week.

Differently , I want to see more of her next week and more! 

• Like 4