Quantcast
Jump to content
LyraYoo

[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra, 알함브라 궁전의 추억

Recommended Posts

after watching the episodes with subs, i agree with most of you here. We waited for 14 episodes for SeJu, the master to return. We insisted to hold onto our faith in SJJ's magic. But, alas! I guess, Se Ju, the character, was 'oversold'. His return helped nothing except to inform about the instant dungeon. 

And instead of using the precious remaining 2 episodes to 'showcase' how Se Ju's cool coding "kung fu", they were wasted on 'repeated flashback' and the JW's ex-wives. Who needs extra airing time for these exes????? seriously, anybody here?

I know SJJ is trying to be different. But an ending like this is somehow unacceptable. I want my hours back! I felt cheated. 

However, I am grateful for the entire acting crew especially the leads. They worked really hard to bring out the characters. Special thanks to the editing team too. They did an 'excellent' job by  'randomly' cutting and  pasting. Perhaps, due to the writer's instructions.

The technical part of the game/AR technology related needed to be fine tuned. I am not an expert but the drama appeared to be lacking in prior 'literature research on AR technology". As this is 2019, many already have some knowledge on this area unlike MATRIX, which came way earlier where a large majority of people were still unaware of online games,

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, packmule3 said:

 

@litopanda  And for others who are confused about the game logic. 

 

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/01/22/memories-of-the-alhambra-phoenixs-happy-ending-and-game-explanation

 

My explanation why Seejoo was NOT debugged, and other things. 
 

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/01/23/memories-of-the-alhambra-goyangis-instance-dungeon-and-odysseus

 

I think we shouldn't conflate the actual person with his avatar or user/gamer identity. The intent of the NPC Emma was NOT to kill Jinwoo the person (otherwise, she TOO would be a "killer" bug, right? Just like NPC HS :crazy:) but to eliminate the user/player named Zinu who carried the bug.

 

Also, the NPCs aren't bugs or glitches. The NPCs are only doing what they are programmed to do. It's user Zinu who's the bug carrier. And because user Zinu is a malware, the actual person Jinwoo gets physically injured when attacked by an NPC instead of logging out. 

 

Hope those posts will help you understand. :)


 

 

 

Thank you @packmule3
This does help me answer a lot of my question about the glitch/bug and how jinwoo could be a bug. 
On all the theme and symbolism the post mention, i see that too and that is why i do like this drama a lot. 

It still doesn't answer a prime question about how can NPC kills Jinwoo or per say his secretary? 
When new level one players or even hee-ju when she went looking for him and keep logging on and off, i would think thats she got slayed everytime? So why couldn't her or any new tester die.....but professor cha or secretary can...? And why didn't he die the first day he was playing the game, after getting kill so many times by NPC. 

And how the technology works without a platform...? 

lol maybe I should just accept it and see the beauty in it instead of picking through the logic of it lol



 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wenchanteur said:

 


Hi!
I loved the drama for many reasons.
I had a hard time finding a drama to hang on to, and then I don't have time to see any too. And I was waiting since the end of "W" for the next SJJ drama
However, I will appreciate it more when I can review it with a better translated version, with time to pay attention to the details. I am not trying to discuss a possible "plot-hole" at the moment, I have no information to say whether or not there is one. We have to be careful with this scriptwriter, we quickly say stupid things, and find mistakes where there are none!
The story has this incomprehensible side, resembling a kind of wandering, that we find in the other dramas of Song Jae-Jung. She really has a style of her own.
What struck me about MOA was the extreme side of its chronological organization. If I wrote a story like that, assuming I could do it already, it would be unreadable. And I won't be able to do it.
MOA is almost as striking as "W" in the originality of its theme. I still prefer "W", which is perfect. For me, it is the absolute masterpiece.
MOA has more side scenes, more slowness, and a less clean realization. (The director doesn't impress me as much as Jung Dae-Yoon)
Seeing the drama again will also accentuate the strong emotions it brings. Normally, in an ordinary drama, emotion is delivered raw, and made to be felt that way. But SJJ's dramas are very condensed, and sometimes too much for the emotion to be palpable the first time with its maximum intensity.

 

 

I must admit that I am going through severe consequences of withdrawal symptoms and that is the worst part of watching a show live, because only when it ends, then you realise that you have lost something great. Sigh.

Bold

This is something that struck me too. I am not sure if it's the director or the script was screaming the need of a script editor. I thought that it is the latter. However, I am not entirely impressed by the direction. W had a more wholesome approach, and less confusing too. Also, the cinematography was considerably more bright and hued. Compare the last scenes of W where KC comes to real world,  to the last scene of MOA, where we are left with only silhouette of Jin Woo; I think you would get a better idea of how different the approaches to direction were in both dramas. 

But I am not sure whether it was the director's choice or the script was gloomy that forced such dark settings. That reminds me to the conversation that I  had with @wenchanteurearlier, about the writer and her reference for the sufferings of her characters. All four of her last characters-OYJ, KC, HJ and JW had their fair shares of ordeals in their lives. And her latest characters HJ and JW depict helpless passive, woeful suffering, almost borderline depression. I would want to know what is going on in that head and life of hers that is being reflected in her characters. And if she writes an autobiography in her life, I would love to read that too. 

It is said that when Shakespeare wrote tragedies such as Othello, Hamlet, King Lear, he was going through the worst time of life when his son and father had died. It is said that he had stopped believing in any rational Will or Justice. Although, I admit that it is not entirely true that writers reflect their own torments in their characters. I am not a writer, more of an analyst. Even though I used to write but I don't know why, I lost my knack of writing. But when I used to write, the more inspired I was from my own life events, the better I expressed myself.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, packmule3 said:

 

I took a look at this blog, it's a gold mine!
I have to put it as a favorite. I'm afraid to read too much, because it will spoil my second watching of the drama. ^^

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

somebody give me actors' take on the ending episode.. as in their take on audience hating the nonsense part of the show (no no i don't mean the whole show :P )

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

somebody give me actors' take on the ending episode.. as in their take on audience hating the nonsense part of the show (no no i don't mean the whole show :P )

I would have also liked to hear/read their opinion but I think we will never get something like that at least not their honest opinion as it will come off as unprofessional. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dear god,

can't believe i am saying this..

 

but reading the comments i gave up on watching ep 16.. just watched it.. and strangely i am ok with the episode.. its decent.. nice in the context of it..

 

lol.. and it sounded just way too stupid when i was reading comments..

 

i mean it is still stupid but strangely this stupidity gels in well with the overall show being stupid, but nice stupid :P

 

************************

you know what i love it.

i love the last bit of ending with dialogues replaying

 

and clearly you can go on a world tour.. because they launched the game worldwide.. how is zinu planning to travel across and save people :P

 

oh god! ever loved stupidity.. !!! :D:D

  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, angelineong said:

after watching the episodes with subs, i agree with most of you here. We waited for 14 episodes for SeJu, the master to return. We insisted to hold onto our faith in SJJ's magic. But, alas! I guess, Se Ju, the character, was 'oversold'. His return helped nothing except to inform about the instant dungeon. 

And instead of using the precious remaining 2 episodes to 'showcase' how Se Ju's cool coding "kung fu", they were wasted on 'repeated flashback' and the JW's ex-wives. Who needs extra airing time for these exes????? seriously, anybody here?

I know SJJ is trying to be different. But an ending like this is somehow unacceptable. I want my hours back! I felt cheated. 

However, I am grateful for the entire acting crew especially the leads. They worked really hard to bring out the characters. Special thanks to the editing team too. They did an 'excellent' job by  'randomly' cutting and  pasting. Perhaps, due to the writer's instructions.

The technical part of the game/AR technology related needed to be fine tuned. I am not an expert but the drama appeared to be lacking in prior 'literature research on AR technology". As this is 2019, many already have some knowledge on this area unlike MATRIX, which came way earlier where a large majority of people were still unaware of online games,

You are so rite...the purpose of SJ return was to inform there's a secret dungeon he's been hiding in for a whole year, or shud I say to confirm what has been speculated by JW. Also to let HJ knows JW succeeded his mission, thus bringing back SJ from wherever he was (tho I still wonder in the whole year of hiding did he eat & poop like other human beings since rtn looking like how he was a year ago, so how did he live?)

 

Also rite, do we miss sumthing here, y the h3ll the exes, a cheater & a gold digger, who are just supporting roles got nice ending/closure?...like we care what they do with their life:rolleyes: Just a waste of the airtime when JW & HJ didnt get any decent ending scene. 

 

I think this writer is too ambitious. She has great story in her mind but putting down in a script, she lost the technical part, eventually didnt know how to link her story to make a decent ending. The best she can think of is for businessman park to bring in a gaming addict teenager SJoo who created the mess but didnt even know what went wrong to J one company, to continue enhancing the mess...still not bringing back the boss:crazy: I wud have prefer if there's a twist in the end that Emma is actually the villain while HJ is just an NPC:P

 

However a big applause to HB & PSH for their credible acting & beautiful chemistry which made this drama bearable to the end. 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I told my best friend in the past weeks about MoA and she said she'll watch it after it's finished, but then I told her the ending sucks she shouldn't bother, and usually she listens, but I added to her that the drama from all the other angles is pretty good ( with lots of confusion too) so now she decided she's watching it, and I who's still hurt by that ending and still pissed about it, said that I will watch again.

And I will, at least a few episodes, I like rewatching shows, it makes me see new things about it, either I love it again or hate it again, and I liked MoA a lot, so I'm gonna watch a few episodes or a few scenes again to relive all that magic and how JW developed  through it all, and maybe I'll find a better way to accept this ending. 

  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to be honest i was going to pick this up after it finish it airing.....however reading the ending it had been given im holding on :x

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sarang21 @enigmatic_zephy if u read some of the translations of PSH, Park Hoon and Min Jin Woong interviews you could tell that they too werent that happy with the direction of their roles.

PH- he was surprised he died so early that he thought he was just a cameo and even his mother asked him why would he film for so long for such a role. ;)

PSH - she mentions lots of regrets and concerns during the filming in many of her interviews. Obviously she knew her role will cause some disappointments and worst more hate for her. But like she said - she had to put up with it. I hate reading critics saying why is she crying so much, all HJ does is cry blah blah blah..My response is ask the writer and PD. Point your hate to them not her. <_< And despite MANY kneitz comments on her role (as wellas others) the writer and PDnim STILL insisted that this was the only alternative as anything more will (heaven forbid) not flow with their own idiotic ideologies <_<

MJW- his post drama interview was just as supportive as PH. I particularly like how he mentions that the romance was brought alive because of HB and PSH NOT the writer.

 

They are true definitions of respect. 

 

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

to be honest i was going to pick this up after it finish it airing.....however reading the ending it had been given im holding on :x

Your post now make me wonder if anyone would still be interested in purchasing the DVD/ blu ray? <_<

 

 

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kasmic said:

@Sarang21  if u read some of the translations of PSH, Park Hoon and Min Jin Woong interviews you could tell that they too werent that happy with the direction of their roles.

PH- he was surprised he died so early that he thought he was just a cameo and even his mother asked him why would he film for so long for such a role. ;)

PSH - she mentions lots of regrets and concerns during the filming in many of her interviews. Obviously she knew her role will cause some disappointments and worst more hate for her. But like she said - she had to put up with it. I hate reading critics saying why is she crying so much, all HJ does is cry blah blah blah..My response is ask the writer and PD. Point your hate to them not her. <_< And despite MANY kneitz comments on her role (as wellas others) the writer and PDnim STILL insisted that this was the only alternative as anything more will (heaven forbid) not flow with their own idiotic ideologies <_<

MJW- his post drama interview was just as supportive as PH. I particularly like how he mentions that the romance was brought alive because of HB and PSH NOT the writer.

 

They are true definitions of respect. 

 

Your post now make me wonder if anyone would still be interested in purchasing the DVD/ blu ray? <_<

 

 

 

PH: lol I felt bad for him too...poor guy ..maybe he can get an award for best zombie portrayal :P

PSH:yes you are right  people should really learn that if they had a problem with the portrayal of character it´s the writer and PD´s fault not the actress. As a writer and PDnim it´s important to find a balance between your story and the response of your audience.

MJW  is right about the romance part.  

 

I think some people will still be interested but I won´t be much...especially since they can watch it on Netflix.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sarang21 said:

 

I think some people will still be interested but I won´t be much...especially since they can watch it on Netflix.

So true, if those dvds or blu rays came with eng subs Im sure they would get more interested buyers esp since they get the cast (esp the main leads) to get together for a commentary interview. I would like to see HB and PSH in those interviews as Im sure it will be as interesting as the ones we've already seen. Their interactions in those BTS vids is so much fun. Esp the scene in the shopping change room. I always smile seeing those BTS. Totally different to the suspense of being attacked by many NPCs lol! It seems like a scene of a typical romcom....argh I wish B)

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kasmic said:

So true, if those dvds or blu rays came with eng subs Im sure they would get more interested buyers esp since they get the cast (esp the main leads) to get together for a commentary interview. I would like to see HB and PSH in those interviews as Im sure it will be as interesting as the ones we've already seen. Their interactions in those BTS vids is so much fun. Esp the scene in the shopping change room. I always smile seeing those BTS. Totally different to the suspense of being attacked by many NPCs lol! It seems like a scene of a typical romcom....argh I wish B)

 

 

I wish the k-drama industry will realise that they have a huge international fanbase and would start to provide Eng Sub for them. They would really make a lot of profit. BTS are always so much fun to watch :lol:. I´m rally salty that the chemistry betwwen HB and PSH got wasted like that :crazy:.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...