[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra, 알함브라 궁전의 추억

Admin

4 hours ago, ash011 said:

as far as I know PSH was aware only up-to few episodes and if you read SJJ article you will see that SJJ requested PSH to understand that her role will be weaker. Many of her fans will be upset, when her scenes are hardly some 15mins in the whole one hour. Who wouldn't be? 

So PSH, being the professional actress she is, probably gave SJJ the understanding she requested...?

And I'd like to think that SJJ wrote the story for her fans, not for fans of the cast (whoever that might be, coz it really can be just anybody, even a rookie actor/actress)...

@Celi67 I would appreciate it if you go edit your post above. The opening and closing sentence is rather offensive for a fan of SJJ like me. I started to watch this drama because she is the writer. Thank you.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wenchanteur said:

Many thanks, It's an interview where she tells a lot of things, I put it in my favorites!

She confirms something she had already said: she is not comfortable with dramas. Yep she should stick to movies or books. For "W", her story was too long to last in 16 episodes. And here, she first thought of it as a film script. How is a movie length (2hr approx) suffice to 16 eps (16hrs) ? even if she had no intention of the romance aspect(which was the case) it would not be adequate for 16hrs...besides JW would be dead when he was chased by zombie cha at the hospital.

Maybe to make sure it holds up well in 16 episodes. It is felt enough, MOA gives me the impression that it ends too quickly, that there has not been enough. On the one hand, we are never bored, thanks to her talents as a sticom writer, she has no trouble developing a story over a longer period of time. I don't think it's done by an artificial process of lengthening the story. It is clear from the drama that she always has something interesting to say. She' s just developing the story. It probably wouldn't have fit in a movie, maybe she's wrong about that. Agree MOA should be a movie instead thus a male centric role will be more acceptable

For romantic story, it is obvious that the kdrama style requires her to put one on, there is no choice! So, she's going to crush her story to find the best love story that could suit the script. It can't be a conventional love story, that's good. It is through this kind of friction that something good emerges. And the actors are so good that they're going to make it perfect. Did she really trust the artists esp on the romance side of things? I doubt it as she said herself that she was surprised by their chemistry. 

*snip - sorry had to cut your post*

Her approach is authentic, she starts to have ideas, then modifies them, it takes a lot of time, two years before, she already had a very beginning. Instead of a time travel story, she writes MOA. There has been a typical alteration in a creative process, something unexpected is challenging the expected. Hence Pokemon Go influence and AR for MOA

*snip again*

EDIT: I guess with this new interview, she'll still be hated by a lot of people. I remember the flood of angry comments she had suffered on an English website for her previous interview about "W". She's a cursed artist.  But as she herself says, too bad, there are many people who like what she does too or who understand it. She is an adorable person who dares to be sincere, even if she takes blows.

The spectators are erratic and ruthless, it is impossible to write stories according to what they want. This is certainly the last thing to consider!
In "W", many people did not like the story to be too focused on the two main characters, and wanted more time for the secondary characters.
In "MOA", a little more time is available to talk about the secondary characters, and the audience is annoyed and finds that it is better to focus on the main characters. (however, I love the passages with Yu-Ra and Pf Cha!)

The spectators react as if they were ordering a menu from mcdonald's!
- Give me a XXL romance menu Hyun Bin-Park Shin Hye, please. Take the tears out of the sandwich, please, there's enough in the fries.

Nope, just some clear consistent explanations would be ideal and most importantly interpreted in the drama itself and NOT in her interviews. We the viewers should be able to understand the plot without her having to try to reason it out. She shouldnt need to explain her ideas for her work esp if she really didnt care what her critics thought...as I do agree haters will always hate and that you cant please all. Maybe she knows that there are some plotholes in her work and is trying to reason that it was "magic" - its a fantasy drama. Thus anything is possible so why not people dying in games and it can be caused by another player or NPC, wearing a lens or not wearing one your still playing, applying the virus/danger to one player (JW) over any other players because his the male lead, deliberately dumbing or in nicer terms weaken down other secondary characters (Id say its all the other side characters - Choi, police officers, YR, SeJu, CHS, Park, Prof Cha not just HJ) for the sake of the hero.

Gosh Im boiling up again, I cant go on. Sorry @wenchanteur lets agree to disagree on anything inregards to SJJ and those interviews...i dont mean to pick on you or any fans of hers. We still have 2 eps to go and even if the finale looks like it will be questionable Im going to TRY and enjoy it. I did say try

• Like 12

Did not read (translate) the interview, just reading your comments wc are all understandable coming from the drama audience or fans of its cast or the writer. 

I am in between of this (hooked viewer and a follower of the actors) - as mentioned the interview timing maybe off esp if your cast has a solid fan base. But I believe that this actors must have their reasons whether to accept the drama or not - so I will just wait and see after all at the end of the day it will be their performance that will make the impact how small or big part they have (wc generally my reason in supporting these leads).

As for the story, this viewer (me) will just accept it how it is.. magic or fantasy whatever. Coz it will be useless for me to loose interest since we only have  2 hrs for the story to end, I will just sit back, relax and consider the finale as if Im watching a movie. B)

• Like 11

now i am getting anxious of the ending... i was on a ray of hope for my happy ending when i see the romantic scenes unfolding, now i am uncertain... esp now that SJJ seems to compare JW character to the one who... who is that... the one who died...??!!!   sooooo was that like preparing our hearts, like some sort of mind conditioning and damage control for the ending...! ohhh crappy patty!!! i

calling all zombies on the house...! i think we have a new subject to haunt!!! get ready!!! :w00t::blink:

@deluluishealthy

i am with you chinggu!!! I ONLY WANT A HAPPY ENDING FOR JW AND HJ TOO!!! they both deserve to be happy!!!

5 hours ago, deluluishealthy said:

/deep sigh/

I only want a HAPPY ENDING for Jin Woo and Hee Joo

and their squad too, pls be happy Yang Ju, Park, Halmeoni, Se Joo and Min Joo

that's all I want for my long running for this drama

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Kasmic said:

Gosh Im boiling up again, I cant go on. Sorry @wenchanteur lets agree to disagree on anything inregards to SJJ and those interviews...i dont mean to pick on you or any fans of hers. We still have 2 eps to go and even if the finale looks like it will be questionable Im going to TRY and enjoy it. I did say try

Hi, there's no reason you shouldn't talk about what you want because there would be fans. It may be a trend for people who like actors to take things to heart or feel hurt, but I'm not that kind of fan. I like her qualities as a writer and analyze what she does to improve. Anyway, you can't hope to write something that never hurts anyone, otherwise there wouldn't be any way to write anything.
I am also disappointed that such an interview was published so quickly, even though I like its content. And by the way, I'm going to avoid rereading it for now.  There are spoilers, and I don't like being spoilt. The journalist should not have asked some questions, and SJJ should not have answered them, at least if the interview was scheduled to be published before the end of the drama. I would not have been bothered if she hadn't given any explanation, and if these explanations hadn't been included in the drama either. I'll have found them by the time I see it again!
It would have been better if it had been published after the end of the drama, really. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, ned_lee said:

As for the story, this viewer (me) will just accept it how it is.. magic or fantasy whatever. Coz it will be useless for me to loose interest since we only have  2 hrs for the story to end, I will just sit back, relax and consider the finale as if Im watching a movie. B)

Yes, it would be a great shame if people who liked the drama felt disappointed at the last minute, and that it ruined their enjoyment! SJJ's dramas are too exciting to be prevented from being watched, so people look at them and love them, but her style is rather nebulous, unlikely to provide explanations. As if there was a price to pay.

It makes me realize that in my own story, I give too many explanations, I'm afraid that it will make the plot heavier or that it will remove a certain charm of mystery. It is more skillful to say nothing, but to show, to induce meaning through action. Either I don't have this quality enough, or I have a natural tendency to like intellectual dialogues because I find them funny and exciting. Even when the viewer can guess, I like to add a point of explanation.

There is a strong emotional involvement, a kind of love-hate relationship, a bit like Park Min-Soo in "W". :D Even though he hated W for a while, he is too passionate to stop himself from seeing the end and enjoying it. I hope that this will also happen to people who have been destabilized by MOA. Moreover, this is hardly a surprise. Since her drama Nine, this scriptwriter has been unleashing passions. I think that's a very positive point!

• Like 8

Hello! I’ve been following this thread for all the interesting comments and BTS translations for a while, so thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts!

I just wanted to add maybe another way of thinking about the narrative’s ‘plot holes’ or infringements on logical or realistic frameworks because I find that fascinating as a motif in many highly regarded and critically acclaimed narrative works around the world. In terms of philosophy, more specifically ontology (which focuses on the nature of being and relations of being) this is called “metalepsis.”

Metalepsis can be roughly defined as an impossible transgression of uncrossable boundaries. So for example, when a character of one novel from an author announces themself as the story world author of another novel from the same author: this doesn’t make sense. Although readers, and in this case viewers, can accept that a narrative is fictional, it must abide by the rules of its genre for us to be able to willingly suspend disbelief and immerse ourselves in the narrative. 

The fascinating thing that is highly debated and studied nowadays, particularly in the realm of contemporary literature, is that more and more writers are incorporating this technique. South African author J.M. Coetzee, for example, does precisely this with his character ‘Elizabeth Costello’ in his novel ‘Slow Man’ (2006). Elizabeth Costello is the protagonist of a completely different novel, who announces herself as the author of ‘Slow Man’ halfway through the novel to the character ‘John’ and it’s mind-boggling. 

I think this is relevant in MOA because the boundary distinguishing the world of AR and the world of the drama’s reality is impossibly transgressed, the clearest example being Jeong-hun’s death by an NPC. This isn’t possible and none of the explanations are satisfactory. It forces us to question the nature of the relationship between fiction and reality and I think this is precisely the point. It is perhaps unsatisfactory to say that just because it’s a drama or a novel then it can bypass rules of logic, but because this is a drama about AR I think it is an effective tactic. There is an air of distrust around AR and it is unsettling because it disturbs the distinction between fiction and reality. The more it’s developed and the more visceral the experience, the more we venture into unknown territory with regards to repercussions on the users’ sense of reality. 

What is the difference between reality and the perception of reality? How do we know what we know is ‘true’? I think narratives that raise these questions are responding to the issues in the current climate (re: Trump and ‘post-truth’ or Brexit, events that suggest people are struggling to filter facts from the allure of frankly untrue narratives) are not only fascinating, but relevant and socially important.

(Plus, I’m loving the chemistry between HB and PSH and I think it’s a wonderfully crafted drama overall!) 

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

Oppss.. sorry to the writer fans.. I just voice out my opinion, please read carefully, no offense and don't mad at me okay. Just don't read or ignore this post if you disagree. 

Please feel free to voice out your opinions and frustrations. I don't mind hearing frustrations about her. I get frustrated about certain stuff of the drama too. I am a fan but I never support anyone blindly. If the finale turned out to be disappointing, I will call it so as well. I will be frustrated and disappointed in her, but I will wish her well and still anticipate an improved project next time. Just like the Hong sisters, I love them, but gotta admit some of their works don't appeal to me. But I still look forward to their dramas and will definitely check new ones out, instead of wishing something so strongly negative for them. Or for any other writer/actor/actress...

• Like 8

Time for some positivity, we can't change this writer, or her way of writing her story, we can only hope she does better in her next work, and like I said before, she already has amazing ideas, her dramas all offer a fresh plot in the k-drama world, which she should be praised for, it's just that the execution leaves  much to be desired, she still manages to engage viewers in her stories ( like us ) so I'll give her that, for now, I'mma go back to waiting for the last 2 episodes, SJ has so much to talk about, I hope the game is fixed or cancelled all together, and HJ and JW have their well deserved happy ending.

• Like 11

Her idea is amazing, and despite its flaws at least those that I found, I can manage to overlook, still love all 14 episodes we have had, and never once get bored from watching them. There are only 2 episodes left, I'm not going to waste my 14 hours+ admiring the drama only to leave on the final week:)

Hope the writer does better for her next project, and maybe... hold herself from giving interview before the final week of the drama:P

• Like 16

6 hours ago, maya31 said:

Hello! I’ve been following this thread for all the interesting comments and BTS translations for a while, so thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts!

I think this is relevant in MOA because the boundary distinguishing the world of AR and the world of the drama’s reality is impossibly transgressed, the clearest example being Jeong-hun’s death by an NPC. This isn’t possible and none of the explanations are satisfactory. It forces us to question the nature of the relationship between fiction and reality and I think this is precisely the point. It is perhaps unsatisfactory to say that just because it’s a drama or a novel then it can bypass rules of logic, but because this is a drama about AR I think it is an effective tactic. There is an air of distrust around AR and it is unsettling because it disturbs the distinction between fiction and reality. The more it’s developed and the more visceral the experience, the more we venture into unknown territory with regards to repercussions on the users’ sense of reality. 

What is the difference between reality and the perception of reality? How do we know what we know is ‘true’? I think narratives that raise these questions are responding to the issues in the current climate (re: Trump and ‘post-truth’ or Brexit, events that suggest people are struggling to filter facts from the allure of frankly untrue narratives) are not only fascinating, but relevant and socially important.

Hello @maya31 and welcome.

What an incredible first comment! I have to read it again because my level of English is being tested. This question of perception of reality is also tested in the field of quantum physics, since we realize that some phenomena change in nature as they are observed. Associating the mysteries of drama with a change in perception, leading to a change in perceived reality is a theme that is appropriate for MOA.

For something more relaxing, when practicing meditation, the mind or free will (consciousness) decides that the body and its predetermined passions must evolve. Then the brain chemistry also evolves towards a more harmonious stage. It is something more discreet than what happens in MOA, but shows that perception or mind, something intangible and indefinable, can influence a physical reality.

I didn't look at the possible "plot-hole" of the drama, for several reasons:
- the drama is not over.
- this is the first time I've seen it, and can't notice all the details.
- my translation of the drama is pretty bad.
It is only by seeing MOA several times again in good conditions that I will have an idea of its real defects. When I did this with "W", I realized that there was almost no "plot-hole", while many critics got angry about those they had thought they had found.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone I know we should keep positive and watch last 2episodes and forget the negative things we are here for the brilliant idea , cast , direction and of course Granda of Spain  let us criticize after drama I got and post my negativity outside this forum to not to affect the mood of this forum so what happened is happened either we liked or not for sake of the people who worked hard we should keep positive:wub:

• Like 12

I am actually bit disappointed also as expected more scenes for PSH. But my disappointed all gone when i see the BTS. I wish nothing but happiness ending ever after from the drama finish until they are real in life :) after drama haha.... somehow i just have this confidence feeling that they are meant to be couple fo real.

Looking forward fOR another BTS

• Like 9

@wenchanteur said "What an incredible first comment! I have to read it again because my level of English is being tested. This question of perception of reality is also tested in the field of quantum physics, since we realize that some phenomena change in nature as they are observed. Associating the mysteries of drama with a change in perception, leading to a change in perceived reality is a theme that is appropriate for MOA.

For something more relaxing, when practicing meditation, the mind or free will (consciousness) decides that the body and its predetermined passions must evolve. Then the brain chemistry also evolves towards a more harmonious stage. It is something more discreet than what happens in MOA, but shows that perception or mind, something intangible and indefinable, can influence a physical reality.""""

That is how bio-feedback work.  This reader often tell others who are  anxious to close their eyes,  and in soft voice tell them to focus on a scene.....you are in Tahiti on a beach on a nice  sunny day.  you are relaxing on the warm sand, above your head is a palm tree, its leave  russeling in the breeze.... the breeze is cool and refreshing.... over head in the blue sky are some white cloud...there are seagulls riding the wind squacking happily...….  So your perception can truly alter  your  reality.

Personally this reader HATE quantum physics.... it's strange ...and so I much prefer classical physics although the concept of gravity is itself very bizarre.  how could 2 bodies attract each other?  like the moon and the earth  and the sun so that one would forever (almost) circulate around the other?  It is magical!!!

Memories of the Alhambra does  have flaws, but intense  activities and emotions can bring on myocardial infarction and even strokes (albeit randomly and not when they are supposed to be killed like what happened with dr Cha).   Hee Joo tendency to faint and cry does occur in Some people whose adrenergic response gets very high to external emotional stimulation.  It is not uncommon that in severe emotional distress  a person can start tremble so much they can't even walk.  It is highly common that in severe stress, a person cannot even think properly like when a policeman stop you and ask you for your driver license and your address, and you cannot even remember what it is!  The fact that our CEO Yoo survived the fall is unlikely but possible.   So MOA stretches the truth to a more unusual level, but many of the events in the story are not impossible. 

In any case, this is this reader two cents for the story.  This  is not an attempt to defend this tale, but to explain things that do happen (some time rarely) in this life.  Of course wearing eye glass that can hear is not possible as yet!

Reality is after working 10 hours per day 6 to 7 days per week, this reader is too tired to look at this tale critically...I just go with the flow.  Personally I think the chemistry between the leads is amazing,  and as other soompian have said, emotionally mature...not a budding high school romance, but more that of a husband and wife who understand each other and share things together, both good and bad.    This appeals to this reader who is much older, and hopefully wiser!

My only complaint.... why do Korean like the word "oo" so much   Hee Joo  Min Joo, se Joo,  CEO Yoo ….. get this reader confused.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1