[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra, 알함브라 궁전의 추억

Admin

2 hours ago, aine7 said:

The way the series narrative is constructed seems sort of game-based. There are probably lots of clues left here and there. 

The narrative is too often deceptive by omission toward the end of each episode, by not showing key elements, then telling us about them in the next episode by doing a rewind, and having JW tell us about it through his narration. I personally don't think it serves the story, but it's just my opinion.

I've been silent for a while while watching the show, as I weekly process its load of information and try to make sense of it. At this point I'm just going along with the ride, and will see how it ends. I truly love all the actors on it. I'm glad to see Huyn Bin and Park Shin-Hye in a show together. I love the futuristic concept of the story, set in such a magical and historical place (Granada); love its video-gaming storyline and showing it as a cut-throat world and industry. The visuals are stunning. All these elements are very promising.

That said, I still can't get over how women are portrayed in this drama.

1- In the game: Where are the girls/women? What are their roles? Did I dream, or has there, still, not been one single video gamer in the show who is a girl or a woman? It seems everyone involved in the actual game and at key position in the company is a man. All the testers they hired were men. Being a video game player myself, I can tell you there are quite a few girls who are into it, too. HJ seems to be key to the game, and one needs to be at a certain level just to be acknowledged by her, and to speak to her. Yet I can't help but wonder: Is all she is meant to do is play the guitar and look beautiful? Beside being the sister of the game's creator and thus justifying her appearance in the video game, doesn't she have a more central role? Does she hold a key to ending the quest? (It seems no, at least for now.) I'm sorry to say that I expected more when JW was finally able to talk to her, more than her comforting him again like in real life... I'm going along with the story and I look forward to seeing how it will keep developing, but this baffles me a bit.

2- In the TV show: Except for the grandma and the baby sister, who we both hardly see, all the women have been given very passive roles where they appear victims of all that is happening to them, without little to no means of protecting themselves. They endure and offer comfort. They're strong, independent women, yet that is not really how they are portrayed. HJ took care of her family pretty much on her own after both her parents died, working multiple jobs and running a hostel, taking care of her grandma, and putting her siblings to school. It takes much character to make all these happen. This is her background. With that in mind it's odd to not see her more proactive in looking for her brother. She's spent her life trying on new things for the sake of her family. Knowing that the video game her brother developed might be key to his disappearance, that she had known for a while he wasn't the one writing these emails (she said so to JW), it's odd that we didn't see her do more to look for him, either by looking into his things or by finally taking an interest into the game the moment she steps into the tech guy's office (etc. I don't know... but before JW showed up in her life she didn't strike me as the type to stay put and to just do what she was told...). There is a little bit of the same pattern with SJ, who is a doctor... 

Edited by lilyphenix
typo
  • Like 7

I believe even Master wasn’t aware of the zombies. He was quite shock and afraid of seeing Marco. Perhaps this mean that even he doesn’t truly know what may be causing havoc or if he did, he hasn’t had the time to fully fix it. He was always behind so much computers in his room and apartment. He may have been working to finalize some more game aspects. He is definitely not dead but I am hoping his ‘discovery’ does not disappoint especially after all the build up hype to find him :sweatingbullets:

• Like 5

I think there is still quite a bit we don't know about the origin story. For example, were Marco & SJ really the only ones who knew what they had created? What if someone had had wind of it and wanted the game, hacked into it to create those additional dangers (including danger to self. Is there a way to influence vitals, in the body, by the illusions created, to the point of killing someone? Raising a blood pressure of the charts? Provoking a heart attack?)? That still wouldn't account for gamers still seeing and being in the game once they take off their lenses, and dying from they virtual fights...

@sanika I agree with you about HJ's knowledge of Granada's history and being a tour guide as a key element to solving everything. For a while now I've been waiting for the writer to tap into it, especially when everyone was looking for JW. I'm also still waiting for her to actually see the game, on a screen at least, not necessarily by putting herself in danger by playing it directly. I think she could be able to spot clues maybe from its figuration.

• Like 7

On why JW has to go back to Korea to ask for the server to be turned on ~ I think he not only wanted to instruct turning on the server, but he needs to level up quickly also. So he probably plans to go back to the school and fight hundreds of NPCs to level up to 100.

JW found the key when he reached the end of the dungeon at 1:15 hour left for the quest. Whereas he rested at the empty spot at 58 min left, then he got ambushed by hundreds of zombies and City Hunter appeared to help him. I guess even after finding the key, he has to make his way out before he can continue with the game. The 48 hour quest from parchment must be only to find the key?

As for the romance, I thought it was alright, given the time spent for gaming, it's about time to have a little bit of progress with the romance. And it's good timing I thought, because everybody left him at that point. He literally has no one who is on his side, except for HJ. Don't worry, next episode we'll enter into gaming again since JW has invited (forced, taken hostage :lol:) of Prof.Cha to be his ally....

• Like 9

First time posting here, hello!!

I love this drama so much and successfully turns me to be a fan of Hyunbin, because I've never really interested in him before this lol.

And I also really like Shinhye in this drama, sure there are some things that didn't sit well with me but they're all minor things, as long as it doesn't disturb my experience in watching the drama.

So far, I love the progress, all aspects and all episodes of the drama, maybe because I am the type to watch and going along with the ride hahaha :D

I hope the rating continues to raise, MoTA deserves higher rating imho

notes: THE KISSSSSSS OMG:wub: Hyunbin >< Shinhye pair makes the most beautiful kdrama pair (this is just from my kdrama experience, I do watch kdrama quite a lot and have been watching for years), both are gorgeous and have chemistry, I cannot thank dramagod enough for this pairing:wub:  I'll be replaying that scene a lot for sure:D

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

annyeong everyone new member here :lol: I decided to make an acc, finally! after being a silent reader for a month since MoA aired.

I have so many delighted moment every time I read every comments here about MoA. and wanna join you all in this party :wub:

now we're getting closer to the end, I'm really curious how Zinu (I really like this nickname for Jin Woo :D) will complete this game and find Se Joo. I'm also very curious whether the error in this game will be disclosed in detail. about how this game can kill its players irl. about how this game can still running even without the media that should be used. does Se Joo know all of these risks since the beginning he built the game or not. and whether only he and Marco were involved in this game's making.

about Prof. Cha, I ady knew that he would also get rid of Zinu in the end. I remember when Prof. Cha said "I think I will lose both", this sentence has revealed what is in Prof. Cha's heart actually. esp when he decided to visit Zinu first rather than see the body of his biological son.

in preview of ep 12 we see Zinu involving Prof. Cha goes into the game and makes him as an alliance. is Prof. Cha will see everything like Jeong Hun? what is Zinu plan besides showing the fact that he is not crazy and hallucinating? this drama really pulled me deeper.

and OH KISS SCENE! YAYYYYYYYYYYY OMG MY AJEOSSI SLAYYYYY I CAN'T SLEEP BCZ OF IT (excuse me for abuse capslock, my heart burst out since last nite I can't handle). it's so gentle and so sweet and soothe my pain bcz I'm crying a lot for Jeong Hun. I'm giddy to see the continuation (or even a replay) of it in tonite ep pretty pls pls pls  :bawling:   :bawling: :bawling:   :bawling: wanna see the bear hug too huhuhu

btw, I like how Zinu and Hee Joo relationships develop naturally. it maybe too excessive if you viewed from a different perspective. but imo, their romance is very meaningful for both. it isn't just an ordinary love between men and women, but an emotional relationship that is formed from all the disadvantages and mysteries that result in many losses. they need each other to work together to solve this mystery. and I hope their alliance will get the desired result in the end.

on the other side, I actually wanted a little flashback about how Zinu and Su Jin got married. how Su Jin and Hyun Seok were able to establish a relationship and then decided to get married. did they really betray Zinu or not? and I'm also curious how Zinu got married with Yura. but maybe this is too much, because it's considered insignificant.

ahhhh how I wish Se Joo is alive safe and sound, living in the real world. alongside with Min Joo and grandma give the bless to their breadwinner and our ajeossi to get married and live happily ever after.

• Like 14

still on my plan to just wait and see on how the story unfold (its been a while since I decided to step back on logic and rely on mentioned magic while watching it) :sweatingbullets:

I just hope writer will eventually justify this roller coaster phasing of the story by connecting each characters action in full circle. Afterall we audience can only see JW pov ^_^

• Like 8

Hi again, this drama is the only drama i got exhausted to guess what will happen next,  i am on a state where  i am just go with the flow whatever will happen next hehe... but I hope.. all this time JW was narrating right?! Whom he is narrating the story with? I hope he is narrating it to the audience during the launch of the game at the end of all JW’s problem and become at the top again hehe

• Like 11

I thought the quest in the dungeon was to find Master/SJ.

But JW finds a key for users above level 100 only. JW is at level 91, he can't use the key even if he found SJ in the dungeon all tied up or locked in a chest.

So what was the freaking point of the dungeon quest again?

Coz I don't see the point of it. SJ was not found. Seo is dead. JW is cray2 and dismissed. 

D9MXVA.gif

• Like 7
  • LOL 5

I remember fangirling over Hyun Bin’s kissing skills in his previous dramas and movies lol. This one didn’t disappoint. Also, I may have cried (a lot) during the flashback with Secretary Seo. I like the development of Jinwoo and Heejoo’s relationship. It didn’t suddenly become a romance. It gradually developed and I think Jinwoo started to realize the extent of his feelings when she took care of him in Granada and saw her crying for him at the train station. But he has so much to deal with and involving romance wasn’t exactly his priority (hence him being called mean by Heejoo). For me, he was so lost and desperate and found someone who was like an anchor to him... and he finally gave in. Heejoo has saved or protected him more than once (even unknowingly) and that’s an integral role. But I also wish her character will know more about the game her brother created... because she might actually be the key to find him, yes?

• Like 12

10 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Lol.

This knetz summary is spot on:

9. [+124,-12] <Summary for the episode>As long as it's Hyun Bin...... Even if he becomes a game addict, he made her brother disappear, limping with one leg, divorced twice, became jobless, getting sued, a woman like Park Shin Hye would give up her birthday party to take care of him, feed him, protect him from the rain with an umbrella and even accept his sudden kiss. 

Source: https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/01/memories-of-alhambra-ep-11-spoilers.html?m=1

I dont think just PSH, I bet all women of all ages wud too:lol:

Also I remember when SJ first call JW to offer to sell the game to him, he said he didnt want to sell to the other guy becos the other guy looks like a bad guy. Do we know for sure who the bad guy is? We assumed CTH is the bad guy, but no matter how I see him, he didnt look like a bad guy to me, at least if comparing to JW in the beginning., both are equally arrogant & ruthless. Infact I remember that Marco wanted to approach JW just to get competitive higher price. Cud it be possible Prof Cha has been contacting SJ directly, & telling him to do this & that to the game until SJ realized what he was doing & he cant control it anymore, which was why he ran off to see Marco, where Marco went out to make a new deal with CTH. Seems Prof Cha had it all plan out nicely. He didnt allow doing post morten on CTH body becos he didnt want outsiders to know his death cause by the game, now that he had removed JW, he ooen up the case again, also removing SJ & thus his grandson too from his family, surely there is something abt him related to the game. Also is dr Cha really his biological son?

• Like 9

@dramaobsessed 

(I mean we know he is not crazy because we see his side of the story, but why does she trust him? a stranger who hasnt been able to find her brother? and who has conned her? just because she likes him?, has some chemistry with him? and he is attractive? is that reason enough???

I dont think people who are going through a rough time do not need love, they do, I just didnt feel that he convinced me enough that he wanted her, because of how he has been acting so far...we know he secretly has feelings for her, but since he is a man of ambition and so far has not been able to be successful in finding her brother, which he promised by the way, and he has been kicked out of his company, as someone says he is jobless...there are so many things against him right now....realistically, if he really loves her he would try to sort things out first....I dont think his character would think about romance, because he would feel like he is not worthy of her yet, he would want to protect her ...until he finishes the quest and is able to regain normalcy again, then he would pursue her. I know they are trying to give us a, "us against the world" kind of romance, but just a few hours before he was pushing her away...on her birthday!!! what made him want to kiss her now? the fact that he is now a murder suspect? that is the only thing that changed...there was no indication or build up that he wanted her, it was rejection rejection rejection, oh poor me, my story is so tragic, prove to me that you trust me...but she has been proving it all this time!!! he was the one who has been pulling away...as someone said she was the one who was supposed to kiss him....IMO they didnt build it up well....)

—————

I know it sounds ridiculous to see him suddenly (I think not) kissed her just because he wanted a prove from her, even after she said she believed him. But apparently because he was not sure that he trusted and also loved her.  His love life with the ex-es made him did not believe in love. He also once said that all the tears from his exes were fake but he knew that HJ tears was sincere eventhough he could not say it to HJ. Also JW needs support from Hj after people around in the company left him, and he thinks love and trust from HJ are the most important ones right now. What Park told him to runaway again made him brave to fight and to not surrender from finding SJ then he needs HJ beside him. In preview we see that he is confidently meet prof Cha in his class to prove he is not crazy. His appearance is fresh and full confidence also does not look tired, perhaps it because he has enough sleep or because of HJ love and support? Maybe...

So, if we say that he should chase her after he completed the quest and find SJ, this drama should be extended untill eps 20, right? 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, hyall said:

I don't understand how some of your theories work when it is not Professor Cha who created the game or the killing aspect. That aspect existed long before the company got control of the game. If you recall Se Joo was attacked after he had spoken to Jin Woo and offered him the game because he did not want to sell to Hyung Seok's company. At this point to speculate that Professor Cha has managed to engineer some way to target people and have them killed seems very far fetched.

even i am of the opinion that humans aren't really doing anything as far as the game is concerned..

how do you explain logging into the game without the lens.. that is not human doing..

game has gone bonkers.. question is did server shutdown contain the game? Or this story ends as soon as they find sejoo and then shut down the server.. and this whole saga remains in all the characters' lives something miraculaous and dangerous.

to me , it still seems like JW is narrating this story to police or you know explaining deaths to someone..

after ep 11 i think i might be right

• Like 5

hello,guys! just wanna share this :) if u want an app to watch this drama or any Korean drama n tv shows with eng sub, search for this app K Drama (English Subtitle) in google play and make sure the developer is X-Reve. I've been using this app for more than a year and I'm really glad that found it. Most importantly, it's FREE :D. New episodes of dramas/tv shows upload rate is depends on the popularity of the drama and this drama gets uploaded n subbed fast ;).

• Like 4