[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra, 알함브라 궁전의 추억

Admin

I'm so done with this writer.. This is my first and last drama of hers. I hope she will never do a drama again and just stick with movies.. Else don't cast any female roles in next projects.. Herself being a female, she doesnt value female roles...WOW claps.. 

PSH made a mistake choosing this script. Writer made her dirty.. No wonder PSH didn't promote this drama in IG.. She would have felt cheated for sure.. 

Writer doesn't know the fandom of PSH.. And has she watched her previous dramas?  Gosh.. PSH is to sweet for the industry.. I am sure there is sad ending for HJ and JW.. I'm not excited to watch the finale now. 

P. s : sorry if anyone got hurt by this.. It's just I'm irritated with the writer.. 

And obviously we PSH fans will be angry of how she got treated by this.. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the interview should be released after the drama ends, the interview given by her is like... a team-kill:blink: Idk its impact to the drama (whether viewers care or not about her interview)

35 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

Suddenly Im not looking forward to the finale. I hope they release a better spoiler than SJJ interviews. I need a cold shower to calm down. 

19 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Anyway, come rain or shine, the finale is this weekend. :) And, frankly, the fact that there is nary a CGI gorilla in sight in this drama makes it a huge improvement over HB's last drama. :D 

Spoiler

The gorilla CGI:D I thought the escaping with rope CGI was funnier but not in a good way:D

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Kasmic said:

Here is a clearer SJJ interview ...still some bits I dont understand and disagree but learnt to just let it go. That's her style. She should just stick to movies. 

@wenchanteur here's another SJJ interview that you'll enjoy. As a writer yourself and a fan of hers maybe you can/would understand her perspective more. Would love to hear you view on her interview. 

Many thanks, It's an interview where she tells a lot of things, I put it in my favorites!

She confirms something she had already said: she is not comfortable with dramas. For "W", her story was too long to last in 16 episodes. And here, she first thought of it as a film script. Maybe to make sure it holds up well in 16 episodes. It is felt enough, MOA gives me the impression that it ends too quickly, that there has not been enough. On the one hand, we are never bored, thanks to her talents as a sticom writer, she has no trouble developing a story over a longer period of time. I don't think it's done by an artificial process of lengthening the story. It is clear from the drama that she always has something interesting to say. She' s just developing the story. It probably wouldn't have fit in a movie, maybe she's wrong about that.

For romantic story, it is obvious that the kdrama style requires her to put one on, there is no choice! So, she's going to crush her story to find the best love story that could suit the script. It can't be a conventional love story, that's good. It is through this kind of friction that something good emerges. And the actors are so good that they're going to make it perfect.

I am surprised that she does not consider herself as a creative person (is she too modest?). But she explains her approach well, which is entirely oriented towards scriptwriting.  She doesn't read fiction, she spends her life learning, and reading true stories. This is by far the best way to create stories based on solid evidence.  I have known this for years, but I am far from applying it enough on my side, and I compensate by my creative side, which I am ready to recognize. On the other hand, I don't intend to be a professional screenwriter. Writing new stories based on the fictions you see is not the right method, and I love fiction. That's why it's much easier for me to develop an existing concept (W's) than to create an entirely new one.  In an already established and well-framed structure, my creative capacities become tenfold.

Her approach is authentic, she starts to have ideas, then modifies them, it takes a lot of time, two years before, she already had a very beginning. Instead of a time travel story, she writes MOA. There has been a typical alteration in a creative process, something unexpected is challenging the expected.

Making the game in a scenario is not easy, we can see that it is a very simplified game to be understood by everyone. There is just a value of attack and defense, and a life bar.
Some people wondered why JW (level 90+) would have had to take mr Sea (level 50) on his quest. I played a lot of FPS (first personal shooter). Now, in this kind of game, you can also win levels, for example in the game "Battlefield", or "Rainbow six". However, the character does not earn much more than that, except for new weapons. But even with basic weapons, a talented player can still be competitive. The problem is that in MOA, this contradicts the attack and defense values that increase rather like in an RPG.
I don't know if this is a mistake because she doesn't know enough about military video games, or if it couldn't be presented differently for reasons of better understanding for the general public, who aren't used to FPS or RPG.

EDIT: I guess with this new interview, she'll still be hated by a lot of people. I remember the flood of angry comments she had suffered on an English website for her previous interview about "W". She's a cursed artist.  But as she herself says, too bad, there are many people who like what she does too or who understand it. She is an adorable person who dares to be sincere, even if she takes blows.

The spectators are erratic and ruthless, it is impossible to write stories according to what they want. This is certainly the last thing to consider!
In "W", many people did not like the story to be too focused on the two main characters, and wanted more time for the secondary characters.
In "MOA", a little more time is available to talk about the secondary characters, and the audience is annoyed and finds that it is better to focus on the main characters. (however, I love the passages with Yu-Ra and Pf Cha!)

The spectators react as if they were ordering a menu from mcdonald's!
- Give me a XXL romance menu Hyun Bin-Park Shin Hye, please. Take the tears out of the sandwich, please, there's enough in the fries.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Kasmic said:

“The scene where the police officer speculates that Cha Hyung Suk’s death was caused by a lack of blood in his body was written to trick viewers. That was only a speculation made by the police officer as they couldn’t properly check if it was true. The line was purposely inserted to create a tense atmosphere by implying that Yoo Jin Woo could be involved in the murder case.”

isn't this ridiculous? a police officer and not a doctor assumed something and they all believed him? :/ and how on earth he speculated it? the viewers, of course will believe it cuz we've seen what JW did to CHS, but the characters in the drama? they didn't know what JW did to CHS in the game? how he killed him? (apart from his team)

------

anyways, I really wanted to see Granada full of Magic just like how Jinwoo imagined it to be in the first episodes, if this ends without it, it would be a bummer tbh.

• Like 6

@Kasmic

thanks for the excerpt - interesting to hear from the writer. I guess her explanation makes some sense but we know we have to suspend logic a little to fully enjoy the drama.

Right now, it seems that she is focused on the psychological effects of playing that game, not at all the mechanics nor hardware supporting the possibility of it so that void is something the audience needs to bridge on their own unless explained this weekend.

Interestingly, there is advancement made in the ‘virus’ affecting humans in terms of hardware - chip implanted in a person to identify him/her or for a similar function. In this case, it would be ...erm...addictive derangement? But to make that connection from gaming lenses that is not grafted on to this potent ‘virus’ takes firing of the synapses of a creative mind.

Having said that, this is not Sci-fi...

• Like 7

"Memories of Alhambra" Writer Song Jae Jung: "The Reason You Die in Reality When You Die in the Game Is..."

QuickSmoggyBlackfly-size_restricted.gif

Song Jae Jung explained in an interview on the 15th that the reason for the deaths are due to a virus in the game.

Q: "Why is Hyun Bin, or anyone who forms an alliance with him, in danger of dying in real life when they play the game?"

A: "It might best be understood as an infection by a virus. The murderous intent between Seju and Marco violated the rules within the game and caused an error to occur. Yoo Jin Woo and Cha Hyeong Seok, having that same desire to kill one another, caused the bug to expand the scope of the duel, making experience Jin Woo physical pain and preventing him from logging out of the game."

"What allows the game to access an augmented reality through the lens is that it makes it possible to control the brain," Song explained further. So while Jin Woo does experience genuine pain in battle and suffers from a limp in real life, there's a logic explanation for why his leg isn't hurt while in the game. To put it simply, it's "mind control."

As for the death of Cha Hyeong Seok, the autopsy revealed that he died from significant blood loss. But Cha Hyeong Seok's death wasn't a matter of "mind control," but rather due to incurring a physical injury, wasn't it?

Song explains, "Cha Hyeong Seok being drained of blood was used as a setup in the first half of the show. That he died of blood loss wasn't possible to confirm; it was the character's speculation. It was a line used to give anxiety as to whether Yoo Jin Woo was actually complicit in the murder of Cha."

[222, -6] What are we supposed to do if you're the only one who gets it... The point of an interview is to unravel the story and make us understand.

RE: [10, -1] This writer should just give up on dramas. She's making light of the viewers like she did with W.

RE: [8, -1] I agree... Making it so that viewers can follow along is the #1 priority

RE: [4, 0] She gave up on the story so now it's a melodrama or whatever.

RE: [10, 0] And because of that, while connecting it to the content of the drama, isn't the writer now giving spoilers? If that information comes out in the drama, the writer just spoiled us, and if there are no spoilers, the drama ends without any of the virus talk. Under normal circumstances, you would say "You'll understand why when you watch the show."

[107, -1] I feel like I still don't get it but... Since it's Hyun Bin, I'll watch it.

[77, -17] Mind control? If that's the case then how can you explain Hyun Bin being chased after by the police? Didn't the police say that he had a limp? They brought up how fast he got away, but were the police in the game all of a sudden? Nothing about this makes sense!!!!!! You might on your own understand this "mind control" business but based on simple common sense, a person with a limp getting away from that many police officers is ridiculous! Please write realisticaly! I watch and just get annoyed.

RE: [21, -4] It doesn't make sense???

RE: [36, -1] Right, it's mind control, but other people see it. It's illogical. He was limping on the CCTV and when the police saw him, he was running. The writer is nuts.

RE: [39, -2] Even if the police saw him, he was limping, but still fast. In the game he can run with both legs, but in reality it's a limp. It's still seems like he's the same speed.

RE: [31, 0] So in other words, mind control from the game causes him to feel pain, but his brain can't acknowledge the actual pain caused by his leg?

RE: [26, -1] They revealed this part. On the CCTV in Alhambra he did have a limp. That is, Yoo Jin Woo was limping, but he was imagining on his own that he was able to move around well.

[38, -1] Huh?

[57, -26] Struggling somehow to explain this mess... If that's the case then could you figure out how to write it properly? What are you doing after taking in such good actors... Seriously

[18, -1] You need to show that in the drama. Instead you're having to tell us in an interview. What kind of comedy is this

[17, -2] There are too many inconsistencies. She hit a wall with Nine... After that her work has been anticlimactic.

taken from onehallyu

I love the Hyunbin gif:wub:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, ash011 said:

I'm so done with this writer.. This is my first and last drama of hers. I hope she will never do a drama again and just stick with movies.. Else don't cast any female roles in next projects.. Herself being a female, she doesnt value female roles...WOW claps.. 

PSH made a mistake choosing this script. Writer made her dirty.. No wonder PSH didn't promote this drama in IG.. She would have felt cheated for sure.. 

Writer doesn't know the fandom of PSH.. And has she watched her previous dramas?  Gosh.. PSH is to sweet for the industry.. I am sure there is sad ending for HJ and JW.. I'm not excited to watch the finale now. 

P. s : sorry if anyone got hurt by this.. It's just I'm irritated with the writer.. 

And obviously we PSH fans will be angry of how she got treated by this.. 

I am a bit confused actually... I believe the writer wrote the script first, then decided the cast. So if PSH is not interested, she could have just turned down the role. And they would just find another actress. It's not that PSH got cast first, then the writer wrote her script based on PSH's ability... and I read that she did mention it's going to be a male-centric story... ?

Being a female writer also doesn't mean she needs to or must write a strong female lead. That will really depend on what the story/theme is about...

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of PSH and I watched almost all of her dramas/movies. 

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am a bit confused actually... I believe the writer wrote the script first, then decided the cast. So if PSH is not interested, she could have just turned down the role. And they would just find another actress. It's not that PSH got cast first, then the writer wrote her script based on PSH's ability... and I read that she did mention it's going to be a male-centric story... ?

Being a female writer also doesn't mean she needs to or must write a strong female lead. That will really depend on what the story/theme is about...

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of PSH and I watched almost all of her dramas/movies. 

I am agree with you

I think shin hye know the script before she's accept the role right??

I don't get it with PSH fan actually

• Like 9

Oh boy. Now that the writing itself has come into terms, I will have to say that It is quite hard to take in when I, one of the audience, has to decide exactly what kind of fantasy I am seeing here without a logic response. 

I could not read in details of the interviews conducted by writernim. As I do respect her idea and creativity of this writing, it also important to be able to convey an idea in which the audience can easily follow and understood. Either do that or provide enough concrete details that allow the audience to critically analyze to an understanding. Elements are not balanced and it feels like the audience are left with a void. Or loopholes. 

However, I will wait to see just how the final two episodes wraps up. I want to see how the beginning ties to the end, and if it will be to my satisfaction. Then I can put my final thoughts on it all -_- I know we are all frustrated in our own ways. 

@Kasmic  truth be told, i don’t like the idea that just because there’s ‘magic’, it means the fantasy sparkles of it should solely depend on it. I can’t just accept it because I’m told to, for the one reason is that I have to be able to believe it is very possible. In this case, most of the ‘magic’ doesn’t make a lot of sense to me because it is not shown in a way that will make it acceptable <_< and as I said, magic to the naked eye is a wonderful illusion but behind it, there are a whole lot of steps and practice to perfect it. This is my problem with the game concept of this writing piece :mellow: 

@butterflysaga hello my fellow chingu! Happy to see you here! :)

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, ismaeni said:

I am agree with you

I think shin hye know the script before she's accept the role right??

The plot was explained to the cast as well as the first few script episodes but the rest of the scripts were yet to.be written. PSH was made to understand that Emma will hold a big part in the story's development even though, it is male centric but as SJJ herself said she had difficulty in incorporating the role of Emma/Heejoo as an important factor in the story spewing abt IU like role. Meaning she ran into a wall with this character that it got sidelined. As fans, we are not asking for more romance. Just that the Emma/Heejoo character be given enough if not equal importance in resolving conflicts within the story.

• Like 8

It's sad tbh, this drama could've been the best of 2018-2019 if not of all the confusion and flaws tbh ....

The drama being all based on JW and not HJ annoyed me, as well as PSH fans cuz she's my fav actress, but that's how the writer wrote and PSH accepted it either way, so I don't see why would we be mad at the writer for that thing. But hope she getsSame thing goes to Seju, even though the whole thing is created by him, he didn't appear much, and that's also unfortunate. We could've seen how he created the game in the first place, what was on his mind when he did so, and especially how he created Emma and she became like. Tbh, we EXO fans were so mad at this from the beginning but continued watching cuz he's gonna appear later (in my case I watched cuz I like the lead actors and the story made me want to watch more). I just hope in the final episodes, we will be satisfied by the ending. That will make us less "annoyed".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm holding myself so much after reading that interview, I didn't read all of it, but what i read warrants me to hold myself so much from swearing not to watch any if this writer's dramas again. I'll catch you all later. Have a nice day everyone. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, nistymaj01 said:

The plot was explained to the cast as well as the first few script episodes but the rest of the scripts were yet to.be written. PSH was made to understand that Emma will hold a big part in the story's development even though, it is male centric but as SJJ herself said she had difficulty in incorporating the role of Emma/Heejoo as an important factor in the story spewing abt IU like role. Meaning she ran into a wall with this character that it got sidelined. As fans, we are not asking for more romance. Just that the Emma/Heejoo character be given enough if not equal importance in resolving conflicts within the story.

exactly!!  We are not asking for romance or something. It's just HJ/emma role could have been written much better other than just supporting JW

3 hours ago, ismaeni said:

lol.. no offense.. but as far as I know PSH was aware only up-to few episodes and if you read SJJ article you will see that SJJ requested PSH to understand that her role will be weaker. Many of her fans will be upset, when her scenes are hardly some 15mins in the whole one hour. Who wouldn't be? 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, nistymaj01 said:

The plot was explained to the cast as well as the first few script episodes but the rest of the scripts were yet to.be written. PSH was made to understand that Emma will hold a big part in the story's development even though, it is male centric but as SJJ herself said she had difficulty in incorporating the role of Emma/Heejoo as an important factor in the story spewing abt IU like role. Meaning she ran into a wall with this character that it got sidelined.

Is that really certain? What part of the story did she know from the beginning? I think she knew what she was getting into, and she saw it as a good role.
When Han Yoo-Joo accepted the role of Oh Yoon-Jo, the actress had read the script. She was so excited that she said she wouldn't find such a good script in her career.
I suppose the actors are very happy to have the chance to shoot in a drama written by SJJ. The two MOA actors also made statements on this subject. They do not see things in the same way as disappointed spectators do.

As fans, we are not asking for more romance. Just that the Emma/Heejoo character be given enough if not equal importance in resolving conflicts within the story.

I don't see why one of the main roles should have to be equal to solve things, equal to appear at times or whatever. The character must stand in his ideal position according to the story and nothing more. As I have already said, if her role is to cry and move me (which she does very well), I am very satisfied.

• Like 5

Let me say a few things, i understand the drama is male centric , I understand the idea that Hee Joo exists only to give emotional support and I like her personality, I still wish she had more depth but that's okay, Shin Hye doing both HJ and Emma was great cause there was a very apparent contrast and different aura between the two,  but I don't like how the writer is just like saying *oh i don't know what to do with her so here's the romance but it still doesn't make sense to me * it's basically throwing your character that you wrote under the bus. Why ?? I will say that HB and PSH have done a spectacular job making their romance believable because of their great acting and amazing chemistry. If it were any other pair I don't think it'll be believable. 

Now on to my second point, which richard simmons me off the most. I had faith in this writer, the way the story evolved made me scared of one thing and that is that the writer just loves throwing twists here and there just to amp up the excitememt and make good cliffhangers, but won't give answers at the end, but now after her interview, it turned out even worse, like you can't just throw in all those questions and then explain it as fantasy/magic or just a mere virus. That's disrespectful (in my opinion ) to the viewer, especially a loyal viewer very invested in the story and trying to wrap their mind and coming up with theories for it. If you want to make your own world then it needs rules, it needs cause and effect, you can't just brush it under the rug like that.

I should shut up for now, this interview really ruined my excitement for the final episodes,  SJJ has AMAZING IDEAS i'll give her that, that she wrote one of my favorite drama ( queen in hyun's man ) but from now on I think she needs to spend more time writing her stories,  make them more tight. you can't always escape plot holes, but you can do your best to minimize them, and if she thinks they're not fit for dramas then don't make them a drama, and don't fool your viwers like that. 

End of rant, see yall later. 

• Like 17

57 minutes ago, wenchanteur said:

Is that really certain? What part of the story did she know from the beginning? I think she knew what she was getting into, and she saw it as a good role.
When Han Yoo-Joo accepted the role of Oh Yoon-Jo, the actress had read the script. She was so excited that she said she wouldn't find such a good script in her career.
I suppose the actors are very happy to have the chance to shoot in a drama written by SJJ. The two MOA actors also made statements on this subject. They do not see things in the same way as disappointed spectators do.

I don't see why one of the main roles should have to be equal to solve things, equal to appear at times or whatever. The character must stand in his ideal position according to the story and nothing more. As I have already said, if her role is to cry and move me (which she does very well), I am very satisfied.

Yess i agree with u

• Like 4

Hope the rating continue to rise up for the hardworkwork if all the casts especially HB and PSH. And to all the production staffs

Edited by Celi67
Hope for rating to continue to rise up for the sake of the hardwork of all the cast especially HB and PSH
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1