[Drama 2018-2019] Memories of the Alhambra | Recuerdos de la Alhambra, 알함브라 궁전의 추억

Admin

9 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Indeed. This drama lacks so much detail unless it is PPL related. There was even a backstory for those dangling earrings, a virtual box for that breitling watch, subway (lots and lots of it) as health points, the dyson vacuum to suck dust while you await for JW to call, HJ's multiple lipsticks and time spent for her to choose and apply them, that health drink, coffee (with an extra shot). And cars. Lots of Lexus cars. Everyone has one. Even Seo had a Lexus Sports Car (he is a very rich secretary) and also Bro-no-bro has a Lexus car too. *i think thats all the PPL in here. Or did i miss anything hehe*

Many Kdramas these days have tons of PPL.  I remember when it seemed like Subway was taking over Kdramas because they were appearing in all of the ones that I was watching.  Dyson seems to be trying to give Subway a run for its money in Kdrama PPL because I'm seeing those Dysons in a lot of Kdramas as well.  I at least like how the Subway PPL is done in MotA since its actually integrated into the plot.  The lipstick collection was very obvious and not done well at all, but perhaps they paid less into the drama.

I think it's interesting that even dramas like MotA that heavy hitters like Hyun Bin and Park Shin Hye need PPLs.  Or, perhaps its because they have heavy hitters who are expensive that they need more PPLs?  Actually, I bet that even without the heavy hitters, they would need a lot of PPLs because this drama uses a lot of CGI.  It may not be as expensive CGI as in Games of Thrones (for example), but there is still a lot of it and I'm guessing it's expensive.  I'm sure they got a lot of money, too, from Netflix but even with all that, they still need a lot of PPL.

• Like 10

There are many good shows on IMHO and all of them have delivered various goodies that left me wanting for more. But in the midst of the toe curls, blanket grabs and laughs, I find MOA most intriguing  - it just makes me think more. 

But no matter how so, I simply cannot fathom what explanation they’d give on how people can get physically hurt and die while gaming. Other than being so engrossed that one falls off the 6th floor of a building (okay, JW was valiantly defending himself) and using real guns instead of virtual ones when running in an alley in panic (granted Marco was a bit of a pushover), I cant see how Dr Cha and Sec Seo died. But that is what is keeping me so glued to the drama.

I am hoping they would provide something sensible (not necessarily logical)  and not send my frail heart crashing down to the bottom off my feet. 

There are are so many theories shared here that it’s mind boggling...but fun! I couldn’t ask for a more interesting forum. 

Looking very much forward to the last couple of eps and enlightenment!

• Like 7

PPL this topic, I giggle when I see it in the drama. These actors/ actresses endorses these products. They have been sponsored by these brands and is contracted to use them in their dramas. So not only do these actors and actress bring their star power to the drama but also sponsors as well. Hence why they are a catch for many film productions. 

PSH - Mamonde (makeup), Swarovski, the hair product (sorry I cant remember the name)

HB- Breitling (whom also sent HB a food truck to the set) and Lexus 

Spoiler

Im surprised they havent brought in their own clothing or bag sponsors as well. I guess they didnt have to and rather use various brands instead.

That aside these brands will in return sponsor the film production and likewise the production must use them somewhere in the drama.  I agree the more sponsors the better. MOA is a HUGE production and the budget is  I think I read over 20 billion won right? I just hope everyone gets their fair share of the profits and no one gets left out. Its sad to read that some productions have failed to pay the casts or crew and worse the dramas has been cancelled altogether. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

I see no point of killing Seo. I see no point of them going to Granada for that ridiculous quest that gives a key for something unknown. I see no point for a level 90 player draging a level 50 player to Granada for a quest that requires 4 players to complete. Even level 40 pokemon go players (the highest level) don't raid a Tier 5 gym alone or a by a group of 2, they group together (max 20 players per group) to defeat the high level pokemon (maybe not the best example, but i think my point comes across haha )

---

IMO, there is a tiny reason they had to kill Seo. The reason is to develop love between JW and HJ. After Seo dead JW  felt so sad and had no one to rely on but there was HJ coming to his side and said she believed him. It’s a classic reason.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, jechoi1 said:

I think it's interesting that even dramas like MotA that heavy hitters like Hyun Bin and Park Shin Hye need PPLs.  Or, perhaps its because they have heavy hitters who are expensive that they need more PPLs?  Actually, I bet that even without the heavy hitters, they would need a lot of PPLs because this drama uses a lot of CGI.  It may not be as expensive CGI as in Games of Thrones (for example), but there is still a lot of it and I'm guessing it's expensive.  I'm sure they got a lot of money, too, from Netflix but even with all that, they still need a lot of PPL.

In my opinion the combination of two, but the most important thing because it uses lots of CGI and have to be good also that's why it costs more. Then to be able to finance the project they must have the budget needed (there have been cases where tv stations decline to take a drama because of the cost to produce ex: Goblin cmiiw), it means more sponsorships, bigger production house, and/or tv station willing to pick up the project. To be profitable, the drama must be successful (generate high rating or viewers or buzz idk the parameter used). To be successful, one of the most important factors is the actors/actresses, there we have A-listers like HB & PSH and their pay per episode, well, must be A LOT. So, yeah, the combination of CGI + heavy hitters:D this was just an assumption/analysis of mine:sweatingbullets:

@Kasmic I rarely see clothing sponsorship in a drama, a modern drama, they usually uses various styles and brands, or even their stylist(s) designed the clothing themselves (if I'm not mistaken, HB's (Joowon) shiny tracksuits in SeGa was designed personally by his stylist):D For sageuk, there might be one since the costumes are usually designed by one designer/team/idk haha. Oh, there might be some sponsored for suits or dresses

Edited by hyuuhikari
  • Like 7

Like/ love or question her work writer Song Jae Jong has given her explanations of MOA in her interviews...Oh this will be interesting. Open all links and you'll need google translate. 

Read - http://www.mediasr.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=50796

https://www.dispatch.co.kr/2000551

50796_10255_3218.jpg

From what I gather esp from this article - http://www.tvj.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=51890

She seems to explain her reasoning of the game as a virus that spread.  For JW to still be playing the game even without the lens is part of the virus caused and it triggers the brain to feel the pain (eg.when attacked) and it can also be the reason for the death of CHS. With Seo because his JW ally Seo too would feel the pain of those attacks and share the same experiences as JW.  She seems to highlight that MOA is a fantasy drama with some scientific influence. Where some bits cannot be clear because of it's fantasy element....(ME- Really? :sweatingbullets:) Though how Emma is the key, JW relationship between Director Park, Prof Cha, CHS etc will be explained in ep 15 and 16. (Me: oh it better be lol!) 

That's how I interpret those articles.... I think we need our trusty translator @stroppyse if you have the time please skim read these interviews and see what interesting points you can share with us. 

And inregards to PSH...this writer needs to do more than apologising to her...but for whats its worth it is a start

With credits yysy in twitter

So SJJ admits and did ask PSH to be understanding of her role... that MOA was written to be male hero centred and the female lead is ??? (i dont want to say)...GEEZ this woman needs to watch her in Doctors. Wait she didnt. calm-down-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292 Though it would indeed be too late :crazy:

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 6

18 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

She seems to highlight that MOA is a fantasy drama with some scientific influence. Where some bits cannot be clear because of it's fantasy element....

18 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

So SSJ admits and did ask PSH to be understanding of her role... that MOA was written to be male hero centred

So, because of its fantasy element where everything can happen to everyone (magic~), we better not expecting clear explanation for some questions haha

If the writer herself said this then.... what can we do?:P:sweatingbullets:

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

3 minutes ago, hyuuhikari said:

So, because of its fantasy element where everything can happen to everyone (magic~), we better not expecting clear explanation for some questions haha

If the writer herself said this then.... what can we do?:P:sweatingbullets:

Yep and I call that lazy bs writing..opps thats harsh. I cant complain becos thats fantasy drama for you. <_< SSJ just lowered my bar of fantasy dramas to rock bottom Bahahaha! 

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

@Kasmic

Lol! So we are going the fantasy route now? so everything is just magic. Some (me included) did say earlier in the series that the only explanation to this is magic. Too bad it seems to be right. And to think writernim will give us a sound explanation about what on earth is happening in this game...yikesss

• Like 7

1 hour ago, yeohaengja said:

IMO, there is a tiny reason they had to kill Seo. The reason is to develop love between JW and HJ. After Seo dead JW  felt so sad and had no one to rely on but there was HJ coming to his side and said she believed him. It’s a classic reason.

Hahaha. This just shows how disconnected HJ and JW are, their budding relationship was not explored at all to the point the show had to force a death to push these two together. 

I'm ok with HJ-JW. But the way their relationshop was built is just...it could have been better, just saying.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, katakwasabi said:

Hahaha. This just shows how disconnected HJ and JW are, their budding relationship was not explored at all to the point the show had to force a death to push these two together. 

I'm ok with HJ-JW. But the way their relationshop was built is just...it could have been better, just saying.

Here's another SJJ reasoning....

With credit - yysy

I just think SJJ under estimated the skills of PSH. :heartbreak: And as I recall IU role in "My Ahjussi" was far more prominent than HJ or Emma put together. 

More article, now from soompi - https://www.soompi.com/article/1293407wpp/memories-alhambra-writer-reveals-hyun-bins-role-based-elon-musk-death-works-drama

“Memories Of The Alhambra” Writer Reveals Hyun Bin’s Role Is Based On Elon Musk + How Death Works In The Drama

Song Jae Jung, writer of tvN’s “Memories of the Alhambra,” revealed that Yoo Jin Woo (played by Hyun Bin) is based on Tesla’s CEO Elon Musk and shared how death works inside the drama.

At a press conference, she explained, “I found Elon Musk intriguing after coincidentally reading his autobiography. I drew inspiration from his life and created Yoo Jin Woo.” A few similarities between Yoo Jin Woo and Elon Musk are that they both have PhDs in engineering and that they are both self-made CEOs of extremely successful IT companies.

In continuation, she explained the workings behind death in the drama and how the AR (Augmented Reality) game is related to it.

Spoilers

Asked why Yoo Jin Woo and those close to him are the only ones whose in-game deaths can lead to death in reality, she stated, “You can think of it as a virus. Having murderous intent and breaking the rules created an error in the game. In Yoo Jin Woo and Cha Hyung Suk’s (played by Park Hoon) case as well, the murderous fights between the users caused them to become able to feel pain and unable to log out,” and added, “I had my storyline edited by a professional in the field. Using smart lenses to play an AR game means that the brain can be controlled by the game.”

Regarding Cha Hyung Suk’s mysterious death, she explained, “The scene where the police officer speculates that Cha Hyung Suk’s death was caused by a lack of blood in his body was written to trick viewers. That was only a speculation made by the police officer as they couldn’t properly check if it was true. The line was purposely inserted to create a tense atmosphere by implying that Yoo Jin Woo could be involved in the murder case.”

The final two episodes of “Memories of the Alhambra” will air this Saturday and Sunday at 9 p.m. KST.

tvN stills of JW

DxAEKPoWkAAI0fn.jpg

DxADgAfUYAAr9Io.jpg

DxADgAgU0AA8k0S.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Jonah Kyle said:

One reason that K-dramas are becoming more popular is the strong traditionalist and strong family-friendly scripts and plots. Most English-language scripts have evolved to a new code in which political correctness boxes must be checked, and Korean-and in extension, other Asian - dramas are more conducive to people who want more TV escapism than they want real-life political indoctrination. I've been a fan since I.R.I.S myself, and have found my top shows are consistently from the Asian theater for this reason.

Your comment is so true!

To this can be added a very barbaric side. A lot of vulgarity, obscenity, violence but not generating any emotion. A kind of decadence like the games of the Roman circus or an emotional desensitization program such as brainwashing. It's a bit of a shame because in the USA there are a lot of good actors in the series. But unfortunately, no matter how much they give of themselves, the result is absent. From a technical point of view, the direction and scripts are very effective, but the scripts are worked on by groups of scriptwriters whose work is not their own. Stories or their realization fail to evoke the empathy of the viewer, the human aspect is absent or falsified, and the emotional scenes are even boring so much so that we still prefer action.

And it is impossible to get emotionally involved in these series, because at one time or another, we will indeed be trapped by a bad surprise, an element of propaganda, a storytelling that flatters values that are contrary to human dignity and psychological truth.

By writing my drama, I realize how difficult it is to create a sincere emotion. There is a whole culture to have, and a personal history too. Unfortunately, I am not part of the right culture, and I have seen too many Western series or films in the past, which does not help, and like many people, my life is not exceptional in terms of emotion. Fortunately, I have been looking mainly at kdramas for several years, and I remember some books that moved me, or intense moments in my life.

It is not enough to decree that a scene should be sad or make people cry. I come to extreme behaviours, trying to experience these scenes from the inside, getting involved in each character. If they make me cry myself, even though I am the author, then I think there is a chance that the emotion will be sincere, and maybe... maybe it will be shared and transmitted to the spectator, without guarantee.

• Like 7

Thank you for these interviews with Song Jae-Jung. For me, this is priceless!

So I was right (hey hey hey hey hey)... There is an explanation of how the brain ends up being short-circuited. And we didn't wait for augmented reality to hear voices, so ask Jeanne d'arc!

EDIT: I would invite SJJ for dinner at a restaurant, I find her thinner than a few years ago. She writes too much and no longer feeds enough! :o

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

Spoilers

Asked why Yoo Jin Woo and those close to him are the only ones whose in-game deaths can lead to death in reality, she stated, “You can think of it as a virus. Having murderous intent and breaking the rules created an error in the game. In Yoo Jin Woo and Cha Hyung Suk’s (played by Park Hoon) case as well, the murderous fights between the users caused them to become able to feel pain and unable to log out,” and added, “I had my storyline edited by a professional in the field. Using smart lenses to play an AR game means that the brain can be controlled by the game.

Regarding Cha Hyung Suk’s mysterious death, she explained, “The scene where the police officer speculates that Cha Hyung Suk’s death was caused by a lack of blood in his body was written to trick viewers. That was only a speculation made by the police officer as they couldn’t properly check if it was true. The line was purposely inserted to create a tense atmosphere by implying that Yoo Jin Woo could be involved in the murder case.”

So.... can we exclude Emma as an antagonist since the writer said the deaths are caused by some kind of psychological effects or the game effects to the brain?

• Like 4

More tvN stills

DxAKbkEUcAA4E7-.jpg

DxAKbkGVsAAdGf9.jpg

Spoiler

DxAKbkFVsAAnSv-.jpg

DxAKbkDUYAAA5bt.jpg

Here is a clearer SJJ interview ...still some bits I dont understand and disagree but learnt to just let it go. That's her style. She should just stick to movies. 

@wenchanteur here's another SJJ interview that you'll enjoy. As a writer yourself and a fan of hers maybe you can/would understand her perspective more. Would love to hear you view on her interview. 

Thanks @maris1 for the link - https://channels.vlive.tv/BF37FF/vtoday/0.9780052

This part of the interview is breaking my heart and making me boil ...like seriously! JW love for HJ is what keeping him from going insane. How could she - SJJ not realise the importance of HJ role into JW life yet concentrate more on his guilt with CHS  :heartbreak: 

▼ Which direction will the two final episodes of the drama be developed?

Maybe Jin Woo's frustratingly complicated relationships will be solved. Honestly, I feel pitiful for Hee Joo if she becomes a couple with Jin Woo. Except for the title of "Plutocrat", Jin Woo is a character who has too many issues to discuss. If Jin Woo is supposed to take his relationship with Hee Joo seriously, he will have to handle more things and solve them thoroughly. I hope audiences will pay close attention to the story in which Jin Woo will pay his mental debt to Hyung Suk instead of his love affair because this really is an important thing to me.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

More tvN stills

Reveal hidden contents

Here is a clearer SJJ interview ...still some bits I dont understand and disagree but learnt to just let it go. That's her style. She should just stick to movies. 

@wenchanteur here's another SJJ interview that you'll enjoy. As a writer yourself and a fan of hers maybe you can/would understand her perspective more. Would love to hear you view on her interview. 

Thanks @maris1 for the link - https://channels.vlive.tv/BF37FF/vtoday/0.9780052

This part of the interview is breaking my heart and making me boil ...like seriously! JW love for HJ is what keeping him from going insane. How could she - SJJ not realise the importance of HJ role into JW life yet concentrate more on his guilt with CHS  :heartbreak: 

Maybe Jin Woo's frustratingly complicated relationships will be solved. Honestly, I feel pitiful for Hee Joo if she becomes a couple with Jin Woo. Except for the title of "Plutocrat", Jin Woo is a character who has too many issues to discuss. If Jin Woo is supposed to take his relationship with Hee Joo seriously, he will have to handle more things and solve them thoroughly. I hope audiences will pay close attention to the story in which Jin Woo will pay his mental debt to Hyung Suk instead of his love affair because this really is an important thing to me.

I feel the same, it will really break my heart if it not a happy ending story for Heejoo-Jin-woo. Heejoo Jin-woo fighting!!

Edited by stroppyse
Please remove images/videos from the quotes. Thanks.
  • Like 8

Wait a minute. So just because the genre evolves around ‘magic’ we have to accept the things that cannot be explained with logic :blink: even magic is an illusion and behind the scenes, magic is performed with explainable steps. :crazy:

the finale episodes need to give me some reasonable answers because if this is about magic then even magic has steps hidden behind it. Do I even make sense or what? :vicx:

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

richard simmons how I wish I could turn back the time before reading this part of interview, so I could skip it... :heartbreak: what is his mental debt to CHS anyway? slashing him over and over.... in the game?

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Kasmic said:

Here's another SJJ reasoning....

With credit - yysy

I just think SJJ under estimated the skills of PSH. :heartbreak: And as I recall IU role in "My Ahjussi" was far more prominent than HJ or Emma put together. 

@Kasmic the more i read writernims explanations, the more i think writernim bit more than she can chew with this drama.

Comparing HJ to IU in My Ahjusshi is just..even non-MyAhjusshi viewers know how much loved My Ahjusshi was and how much people praised IU's character.

37 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

Reveal hidden contents

What on the what now? Writernim..you made the drama to focus on JW-HJ. Now you are saying HJ is pitiful. What now? And you expect viewers to be invested in JW and Zombie Cha's whatever relationship when you made Park Hoon not do anything for nearly 12 episodes other than looking bloody and cool with that sword of his. 

Ohhh..i can't with writernim's reasoning. It just feels mismatched with what the drama currently is, as if the writernim's ideas were not fully conveyed to the audience. Huhu

• Like 15

27 minutes ago, i3erriiz K said:

I feel the same, it will really break my heart if it not a happy ending story for Heejoo-Jin-woo. Heejoo Jin-woo fighting!!

Ikr if it wasnt for HJ , Id say JW wouldve been dead many eps back. This drama is very male role centred where JW is the focus. Thus his development in how he overcomes all these game issues, CHS, Prof Cha plot, exwives craze should lead to him to a path of achieving a happy ending esp with HJ...oh my head is spinning. Suddenly Im not looking forward to the finale. I hope they release a better spoiler than SJJ interviews. I need a cold shower to calm down. 

@hyuuhikari @katakwasabi SJJ ideas is just ...:vicx:

@vangsweetie637 according to SJJ logic magic is the answer because its a fantasy drama. :vicx:

• Like 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3