Quantcast
Maetawinz

[Short Drama 2018] Hymn of Death // Death Song, 사의 찬미

28952046_1672109966159631_5989376282759004160_n.jpg?oh=06195c421d956f96e9c4865667175870&oe=5B4A4706

[The Story Of Love and Death: Kim Woo-Jin and Yun Sim-Deok]
Lee Jong Suk considers special drama project (2 episodes) (#DeathSong). 
This is a film adaptation of a movie with the same title made in 1991. 
PLOT: Based on the true tragic story of Kim Woo-Jin and Yun Sim-Deok.
Kim Woo-Jin is a stage drama writer while Korea is under Japanese occupation. He is married with children, but he falls in love with Yun Sim-Deok. Yun Sim-Deok is the first Korean soprano. She records the song “Praise of Death” which becomes the first Korean pop song in 1926. 
They leave Japan together, returning to Korea by ship. However the closer they come to Korea, the closer they come to being parted; and they throw themselves overboard to be together in death. They jumped from the ship into the ocean and both drowned. Kim Woo-Jin and Yun Sim-Deok's love ends tragically.

The movie 'Death Song' (Hangul: 사의 찬미; Hanja: 死의 讚美; RR: Saui Chanmi) is a 1991 South Korean film directed by Kim Ho-sun. It won multiple awards in the 1991 Chunsa Film Art Awards, including Best Film, the 1991 Blue Dragon Film Awards, again including Best Film, and the 1992 Grand Bell Awards.

Info Credit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Song_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yun_Sim-deok
http://asianwiki.com/Praise_of_Death

Edited @ibru

Photo Source: Wikipedia, https://www.facebook.com/ddotchi.shipper/

• Like 10

Whoaahh.... I love LJS!! and i'm in for this!!! When will this be aired??? 

Wait, just done reading the plot review, the original story ended with death?? Will this drama follow that ending too??? Oh noooo... not again!!!

• Like 7

Lee Ji-hoon, Shin Hye-sun to star alongside Lee Jong-suk in Hymn of Death

lee-jongsuk-hymn-of-desth-lee-jihoon-shi
Date: March 16, 2018 Author: tipsyahjumma

We got a full cast yeorobun!

Agencies of Shin Hye-sun (My Golden Life) and Le Ji-hoon (Legend of the Blue Sea) have both confirmed that the stars will be appearing alongside Lee Jong-suk (While You Were Sleeping) in the upcoming SBS two-part drama, Hymn of Death.

Shin Hye-sun will star in the drama as Korea’s first famous female soprano, Yun Sim-deok, with Lee Jong-suk taking the part of her married lover, playwright Kim Woo-jin. Further, Lee Ji-hoon will play the role of the lovers’ close friend, Hong Nan Pa.

As reported earlier, Hymn of Death will not only tell the tragic fate of Yun Sim-deok, it will also delve into the works of Kim Woo-jin.

Though Hymn of Death has no definite broadcast date yet, it was revealed that filming will start by  mid-April.

On a side note, Lee Jong-suk, Shin Hye-sun and Lee Ji-hoon all appeared in School 2013. Are you happy with the cast members?

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2018/03/16/shin-hye-sun-lee-ji-hoon-to-star-alongside-lee-jong-suk-in-hymn-of-death/

• Like 10

Shin-Hye-Sun-Lee-Jong-Suk.jpg

Shin Hye Sun Shares Thoughts On Reuniting With Lee Jong Suk In Upcoming Drama

In a recent interview, actress Shin Hye Sun talked about her upcoming drama “Hymn of Death” and how it felt to work with Lee Jong Suk for a second time.

Earlier this week, Shin Hye Sun was confirmed to be starring opposite Lee Jong Suk in the new SBS short drama series as Yun Sim Deok, Korea’s first professional female soprano. Lee Jong Suk will be playing the role of her ill-fated lover, the genius playwright Kim Woo Jin.

Shin Hye Sun explained that she had chosen to take the role because she had been moved by the tragic love story of the two real-life figures. “I first heard Yun Sim Deok and Kim Woo Jin’s story on the radio before I debuted [as an actress],” she recalled, “and there was something romantic about it that made my heart flutter. I was amazed when I found out that I had the opportunity to play this role.”

She went on, “Although the filming schedule is rather tight, it’s all right because it’s a short series. I do feel pressured in regards to my acting, but it was something that I wanted to be a part of so badly that I didn’t want to let [the opportunity] slip by.”

The last time Shin Hye Sun and Lee Jong Suk worked together was five years ago, when they both appeared in the KBS drama “School 2013.” The actress shared that she was looking forward to acting with him again, noting that many of her acquaintances had praised Lee Jong Suk’s professionalism.

“We go to the same gym, so we’ve run into each other a couple times,” she remarked. “At any rate, he’s a senior actor that has really succeeded. People around me say that there’s a lot to learn from him, so even though [filming] will be short, I plan to learn whatever I can from him.”

Shin-Hye-Sun.jpg

Shin Hye Sun recently starred in the hit KBS drama “My Golden Life,” which came to an end on March 11.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/03/16/shin-hye-sun-shares-thoughts-reuniting-lee-jong-suk-upcoming-drama/

• Like 8

On 3/16/2018 at 9:15 AM, stargazer187 said:

Whoaahh.... I love LJS!! and i'm in for this!!! When will this be aired??? 

Wait, just done reading the plot review, the original story ended with death?? Will this drama follow that ending too??? Oh noooo... not again!!!

Filming starts in mid April. It's only two episodes long and I don't think it has a very big budget (otherwise LJS wouldn't be doing it for free). So even though an airing date has not been announced, I can't imagine it's very far into the future.

In real life, the singer had an affair with the writer, who was married and had a wife and child back in Korea. On the boat ride back to Korea from Japan, the pair jumped overboard and committed suicide. The sensation was in part responsible for the song becoming widely known, so I think it would be difficult to avoid either event in the drama. But we'll see. Maybe they will shift the focus more on other elements (I already read that Woo Jin will have an expanded role from the film, with more emphasis on his work.)

• Like 7

I'm looking forward to this! I love the fashion and aesthetics of the 20s and 30s period. Even though it won't have a large budget I'm still hoping for some good set design and nice costumes. 

• Like 7

0000430624_001_20180315104708249.jpg

Translated

Actor Shin Hye-sun and Lee Jong-seok have confirmed their appearances together. In the meantime, the movie 's praise of the company' s famous movie released in 1991 is also getting attention. 

In the drama, actress Rosie Hee was the first and best soprano of Yi Shi-duk that will be played by Shin Hye-sun. In addition, Kim Ji-suk, who is a lover and a new playwright of Yonsei Duk who will be in charge of Lee Jong Suk, was actor Kim Woo-jin. 

It is a movie based on a true story, and the atmosphere of the film 's praise of the company' is overall heavy as it played a role in drawing the dark era. The feeling of a film movie of the nineties that was natural at the time is now a classic and even heterogeneous. 

Yoon Sung-duk was a new man, Na Hye-seok, who said, "Jeongjo, which was like a life for a woman at the time, was 'not a morality nor a law, but a hobby.' She falls in love with the married playwright Kim Woojin. Those who love Japan and South Korea several times and throw themselves in the Genkai Sea. 

The movie 'Pyeongmi of the company' depicts the wandering young people in the miserable reality under the Japanese colonial rule. The drama 'The Pantomime of the Company', which will be broadcasted as a two-part drama in the future, has a great expectation of viewers how to portray the difficult times of the times. Of course, Yun Hyun-seon and Lee Jong-seok will draw Yoon Chin-duk and Kim Woo-jin are attracting a lot of expectations. 

http://www.kookje.co.kr/news2011/asp/newsbody.asp?code=0500&key=20180315.99099006241

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

28958597_1672843589419602_6239948853810823168_n.jpg?oh=22f1ba341fef397b6a2b746ce0306a4a&oe=5B3F1404

Yun Sim-deok, Korea’s First Professional Soprano

2012-08-23

Soprano Singer Marks the Beginning of Joseon’s Music Industry 

1926 marked the first year of Korean popular art. ‘Chunhyangjeon,’ one of the best known ancient novels of Korea, was adapted into an 18-chapter changgeuk, or Korean traditional opera by master singers. That year, the film “Arirang” directed by Na Un-gyu(나운규) instilled nationalism in Korean people. The film later stirred a boom of Korean movies. 

In particular, soprano singer Yun Sim-deok’s album ‘In Praise of Death,’ which is set to the tune of the waltz ‘The Waves of the Danube’ by Romanian composer Ion Ivanovici, flew off the shelves, although a single album was worth hundreds of thousands of won based on current values. The song signaled the opening of a new era of the recording industry. 

First Korean Student at Tokyo Music School 

Yun Sim-deok was born in Pyongyang in 1897. She was the second daughter in a family of four kids with one boy and three girls. Her family was poor but the four children were all able to receive modern education, thanks to their devout Christian parents. 

Yun stood out among her siblings for her musical talent. She graduated from Gyeongseong(경성) Girls’ High School and worked as a teacher for about a year. Then she went to Japan to study as the first Korean student who secured a scholarship of the Government General. She attended Aoyama Gakuin, an educational institute in Tokyo, before entering Tokyo Music School to study vocal music. Yun was the first Korean who was admitted to the school. 

Encounter with Kim Woo-jin 

In Tokyo, Yun mingled with many Korean students. She was a girl of masculine spirit and had a cheerful personality, as her nickname ‘tomboy’ indicated. After meeting male students a few times, she didn’t hesitate to drop the honorifics when talking to them. She had a number of scandals with male students. A student named Park Jeong-sik(박정식) even became lovesick after all his efforts to win her heart ended in vain. In 1921, Yun joined a road tour in Korea with 30 people. The tour was aimed at raising money to operate a group of Korean laborers living in Japan. During the tour, Yun met Kim Woo-jin(김우진) for the first time. 

Kim was studying English literature at Waseda University at the time. Born to a big landowner in Jeolla Province, Kim was already married and had a wife and children in his hometown. However, while participating in the road tour for two months in Korea, Yun and Kim became intimate with each other. 

Singing Heyday, Harsh Reality 

Yun enjoyed her heyday as a singer when she returned home from Tokyo in 1923. Upon arriving in Korea, she held a vocal recital at the Central Youth Center in Jongro, Seoul, making her debut as the nation’s first professional soprano. She gave a number of solo performances afterwards, but singing solo didn’t really ensure income for her. It was customary for students sent abroad by the government to work as teachers at public schools after returning home. Yun waited for months but she wasn’t given any teaching job. Yun rose to fame as the nation’s top singer, but she was in such a difficult situation that she was concerned about her livelihood. 

She couldn’t get away from her financial difficulties as a singer of Western classical music, so she chose to become a pop singer and actress. From then on, Yun suffered from numerous scandals, including the one indicating that she would marry a rich man in Hamgyeong Province. 

Kim Woo-jin, who returned to Korea around that the same time, wanted to pursue his career in literature and drama. Faced with opposition from his family, however, he left home and went to Japan in 1926. 

‘In Praise of Death’

Around that time, Yun headed to Japan, too, as the Japanese Nitto recording company in Osaka proposed to record her songs in July 1926. When the recording work was completed on August 1st, Yun asked the head of the company to record one more song entitled ‘In Praise of Death.’ It was based on the Western classic ‘The Waves of the Danube,’ with Yun writing lyrics to music herself. 

Earlier, Yun sent a telegram to Kim Woo-jin and asked him to come to Osaka. She said she would kill herself if he didn’t come. Kim received the telegram in Tokyo and hurriedly came to meet her. On August 4th, the two jumped into the dark sea from a passenger ship that was taking them from Simonoseki to Busan. Both were 29 years old. 

The shocking double suicide of a single modern girl and her married boyfriend who suffered from hopeless love created a sensation in Korea. Yun’s last album became an unprecedented success, selling 100-thousand copies. The figure was considered extraordinary at the time. A phrase in ‘In Praise of Death’ reads, “Life, you are running through a vast wilderness. Where are you going?” People imagined that this song, featuring Yun’s sad voice and the lyrics apparently representing the futility of life, was the last word of the singer, who was frustrated by the reality of her culturally-deprived home country and a formidable barrier of Confucianism. 

Credit: http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/archive/program/program_koreanstory.htm?no=101062

Photo edited by @ibru

• Like 8

On 15/03/2018 at 3:53 PM, Riman Rakshit said:

Calling the Jong Suk squad here:blush: I'll bring popcorn! :tongue:

@ibru @Rania Zeid @ezze @kembie @asiaren @lanieqp0415 @Whitebox @Vera Vera @frozentundra @gilaswan @nonski @bahara @chelsita

Please tag others whom I might have missed

Fighting!

Jong Suk is not taking any fees for this drama because he likes and is close to the PD nim and also to show his appreciation for short dramas:)

@meechuttso I am glad they already know each other^_^  Shin Hye Sun also said she and Jong Suk goes to the same health clinic so they met a few times

cr: ljskwbwithjs via @ibru

Thanks for the tag! I've been meaning to respond but life got the better of me... :bawling:

Looking forward to this drama, no matter how short, because LEE JONG SUK! So starved of good dramas (I've been rewatching WYWS because... Lee Jong Suk. Hahaha). This is gonna be one major melo drama, but I think he's always wanted to do some tragic melodrama, right? Whatever the case, I'm hoping the writer does a good job with this. Can't wait!

• Like 6

I am tickled that Sang Yeob is cameo-ing as the female lead’s fiancée. He & LJS had great chemie as antagonist - protagonist in WYWS. Can’t believe they will be rivals here again. :lol:

• Like 6

Does anybody know when this drama will be aired? I’m really excited for LSJ and SHS. This is a serious project where they will be able to show their talents. Let’s cross fingers! This is such a dream painting, I can already predict it’s going to be a tearjerker.

• Like 6

ezgif-4-f825c775e6.png

https://www.koreandramaportal.com/2018/03/lee-sang-yeob-to-make-special.html

Lee-Sang-Yeob-Lee-Jong-Suk.jpg

[While You Were Sleeping” Co-Stars Lee Sang Yeob And Lee Jong Suk To Reunite In New Drama]
A. Kim March 26, 2018
Lee Sang Yeob will be reuniting with “While You Were Sleeping” co-star Lee Jong Suk in a new SBS short drama series! This upcoming drama also marks Shin Hye Sun‘s reunion with Lee Jong Suk in five years.
On March 27, Lee Sang Yeob’s agency Daydream Entertainment confirmed, “Lee Sang Yeob will be appearing in ‘Hymn of Death’ as Kim Hong Ki, the son of a wealthy family and also Yun Sim Deok’s (Shin Hye Sun) fiancee. He will be showing great chemistry with the other actors.”
The two-part series “Hymn of Death” follows the tragic love story of famous female soprano Yun Sim Deok and genius playwright Kim Woo Jin (Lee Jong Suk). It will be produced by producing director (PD) Park Soo Jin of “Doctors” and “While You Were Sleeping” fame. Lee Sang Yeob is said to have decided to appear at the news of PD Park Soo Jin directing as they had previously worked together for “While You Were Sleeping.”

“Hymn of Death” will begin filming in mid-April.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/03/26/sleeping-co-stars-lee-sang-yeob-lee-jong-suk-reunite-new-drama/

• Like 6

On 26/03/2018 at 5:49 PM, meechuttso said:

From http://search-now.tistory.com/5692

From http://www.updownnews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=87552

etc

LJS done with YG, looking for new agency, in talks with YNK, the management agency to which SHS belongs.  The plot thickens....

I think YNK Entertainment main focus are on their actors and actresses. I don't think YG is the same. I could be wrong. 

Edited by triplem
Pls do not quote images. Remove bf postings TQ
  • Like 6