[Short Drama 2018] Hymn of Death [Death Song] / 사의 찬미

Maetawinz

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw on another site that this will air tomorrow (September 17) and next Monday (September 24)?

Is that correct?

I am interested to watch this for the leads and also for the history of the people who really lived these lives.....but I am also a bit worried how the drama will finish because of how those real people ended their lives.  

• 2 weeks later...

DnsKok7VAAEHbrF.jpg

DnsK3PPU4AUo1H5.jpg

DnsLDCXUwAAR32G.jpg

2018.09.22 Lee Jong Suk's IG Post from filming set of HYMN OF DEATH

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoBY6nKBZv7/?taken-by=jongsuk0206

They added more scenes to the drama; but because Shin Hye Sun was busy with another drama filming, they had to pause filming.

JS said in his FM that it'll be 3-4 eps but in his latest FM, he mention 2-3 eps.

Via: irene7an IG

• 5 weeks later...

[SBS Star] Lee Jong Suk's New Drama Confirms to Air Its First Episode on November 27

201245229_500.jpg

The long-waited new drama 'Hymn of Death' starring Korean actor Lee Jong Suk has finally unveiled its airdate.

On November 1, one of the most anticipated SBS dramas 'Hymn of Death' announced that it will air its first episode on November 27.

'Hymn of Death' is a historical drama led by Lee Jong Suk and actress Shin Hae Sun.

It will tell the tragic love story of the genius playwriter 'Kim Woo-jin' (Lee Jong Suk), and his lover 'Yoon Sim-deok' (Shin Hae Sun), the first soprano singer of the Joseon Dynasty.

201245227_500.jpg

Previously in March when Lee Jong Suk and Shin Hae Sun confirmed to join the drama, many fans became all hyped up.

Not only it meant they were able to check out the chemistry between Lee Jong Suk and Shin Hae Sun, but it was also because it had been quite a while since they had seen Lee Jong Suk on screen.

201245225_500.jpg

Up until now, the two stars were frequently spotted at the filming site together, making fans curious about the story and even more eager to watch the drama.

Now that fans know they are going to be able to watch the drama within a month, they have been flooding online with comments expressing their excitement ever since the announcement was made. 

https://mnews.sbs.co.kr/news/endPage.do?newsId=N1004998362

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Short Drama 2018] Hymn of Death // Death Song, 사의 찬미 - Tuesdays @ 22:00 KST - Lee Jong Suk, Shin Hye Sun // First Episode on November 27

lee.shin_.jpg

Lee Jong-seok and Shin Hye-sun to star in SBS drama special In Praise of Death

It looks like Lee Jong-seok (While You Were Sleeping, W–Two Worlds) is planning to stay busy before he goes off to the army! Lee and Shin Hye-sun (Thirty But Seventeen, My Golden Life) have been confirmed as the leads for the drama special In Praise of Death.

The story will be a dramatization of the real life and tragic love story of Yoon Shim-deok (played by Shin Hye-sun) and her lover Kim Woo-jin (played by Lee Jong-seok). Yoon was Korea’s first soprano and her story is well-known in Korea, but the very little attention had been paid to Kim Woo-jin before now. The drama will examine both figures and their relationship as Kim was said to have been both friend and lover to Yoon.

The drama title was take from a song of Yoon’s by the same name. The song “In Praise of Death” was released in August, 1926 — the same month she committed suicide. Following her death, the song became a huge hit.

Originally slated to have just two episodes, a third episode was added to the production’s run. I will definitely be tuning in and I’ll make sure to have plenty of tissues handy. In Praise of Death will follow Fox Bride Star and air on November 27th

Via Newsen, YTN

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/11/lee-jong-seok-and-shin-hye-sun-to-star-in-sbs-drama-special-in-praise-of-death/

SBS Drama “Death Song” Unveils 1st Posters Of Lee Jong Suk And Shin Hye Sun

SBS Drama “Death Song” Unveils 1st Posters Of Lee Jong Suk And Shin Hye Sun

SBS’s upcoming drama special “Death Song” has released beautiful posters of its leads Lee Jong Suk and Shin Hye Sun!

“Death Song” will tell the story of Joseon’s greatest soprano Yoon Shim Deok (Shin Hye Sun) and her lover and genius playwright Kim Woo Jin (Lee Jong Suk). Not only will it follow their tragic love story that was highlighted in the 1991 film of the same name, but it will also delve deeper into the life and works of Kim Woo Jin.

Now, the drama has unveiled its first two posters, featuring Lee Jong Suk and Shin Hye Sun. Both posters are in black and white, and the overall atmosphere of both reflect the sincere love and deep emotions that will be at play throughout the production. The posters also include the tagline, “Death Song, the last song sung at the end of one’s life.”

Lee-Jong-Suk-Shin-Hye-Sun.jpg

Lee-Jong-Suk-Shin-Hye-Sun-1.jpg

“Death Song” is a special three-part series that will air on November 27, December 3, and December 4 at 10 p.m. KST on SBS. It will be the follow-up to SBS’s current Monday-Tuesday drama “Where Stars Land.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1257779wpp/sbs-drama-death-song-unveils-1st-posters-lee-jong-suk-shin-hye-sun

Praise of Death-P1.jpg

The Hymn of Death

• TV Movie: The Hymn of Death (English title) / Praise of Death (literal title)
  • Revised romanization: Saui Chanmi
  • Hangul: 사의 찬미
  • Director: Park Soo-Jin
  • Writer: Jo Soo-Jin
  • Network: SBS
  • Episodes: 6
  • Release Date: November 27 - December 4, 2018
  • Runtime: Monday & Tuesday 22:00
  • Language: Korean

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©

Based on the true story of Kim Woo-Jin and Yun Sim-Deok.

Kim Woo-Jin is a stage drama writer while Korea is under Japanese occupation. He is already married, but he falls in love with Yun Sim-Deok. Yun Sim-Deok is the first Korean soprano. She records the song “Praise of Death” which becomes the first Korean pop song in 1926. Kim Woo-Jin and Yun Sim-Deok's fate ends tragically.

Notes

1. "The Hymn of Death" takes over the SBS Monday & Tuesday 22:00 time slot previously occupied by "Where Stars Land" and will be replaced by "My Strange Hero" on December 10, 2018.
  2. Drama series is based on the true story of Korea's first soprano singer Yun Sim-Deok and Kim Woo-Jin.
  3. Two main posters for SBS drama special “The Hymn of Death.”
  4. Related titles:
    1. Death Song | Saui Chanmi (1991)
    2. The Hymn of Death | Saui Chanmi (SBS / 2018)

Cast

Hymn of Death-Lee Jong-Suk.jpg Hymn of Death-Shin Hye-Sun.jpg
Lee Jong-Suk Shin Hye-Sun
Kim Woo-Jin Yun Sim-Deok

Kim Myung-Soo He Hymn of Death-Park Sun-Im.jpg He Hymn of Death-Kim Won-Hae.jpg He Hymn of Death-Hwang Young-Hee.jpg He Hymn of Death-Ko Bo-Gyeol.jpg
Kim Myung-Soo Park Sun-Im Kim Won-Hae Hwang Young-Hee Ko Bo-Gyeol
Kim Sung-Gyu Jung Chum-Hyo Yoon Suk-Ho Sim-Deok's mother Yoon Sung-Duk

He Hymn of Death-Shin Jae-Ha.jpg Lee Ji-Hoon He Hymn of Death-Jung Moon-Sung.jpg He Hymn of Death-Oh Eui-Sik.jpg Lee Joon-Yi
Shin Jae-Ha Lee Ji-Hoon Jung Moon-Sung Oh Eui-Sik Lee Joon-Yi
Yun Ki-Sung Hong Nan-Pa Jo Myung-Hee Hong Hae-Sung Kyosuke Tomoda

He Hymn of Death-Han Eun-Seo.jpg He Hymn of Death-Lee Sang-Yeob.jpg He Hymn of Death-Jang Hyun-Sung.jpg Lee Cheol-Min He Hymn of Death-Kim Gang-Hyun.jpg
Han Eun-Seo Lee Sang-Yeob Jang Hyun-Sung Lee Cheol-Min Kim Gang-Hyun
Han Ki-Joo Kim Hong-Ki Lee Yong-Moon government officer Lee Seo-Koo

He Hymn of Death-Jang Hyuk-Jin.jpg Bae Hae-Sun The Hymn of Death-Kang You-Seok.jpg
Jang Hyuk-Jin Bae Hae-Sun Kang You-Seok
Dauchi Professor Ueno Yun Ki-Sung's schoolmate

Additional Cast Members:

http://asianwiki.com/Praise_of_Death

On 11/6/2018 at 1:31 AM, titania1000 said:

Chingu, we, SHS fans, know better than anyone than 3 solid/good episodes is better than 50 episodes so bad that it seems that you're trapped in hell with the characters. :tears:

At least if the drama is not good, they won't make us miserable for too long.:sweatingbullets:

Thanks for all the updates and translations @meechuttso!

Strange how this thread is empty of SHS fans comments: usually we are very talkative people about oori baby's projects. An excess of romance in her works this this year? Or is it the tragic and predictable end that blocks us?

I admit that i will have a hard time to enjoy a project where her character will die again: i'm still not over the last time it happened....     

But to be honest, herself she also barely promoted it.  Has she lost interest for it?  :unsure:     

Yes you are absolutely right! 3 good episodes beats 50 tortorous ones. My gripe was only that these episodes were added at the expense of her other drama then.

I agree it is sort of quiet in here. Hopefully it will liven up when the drama premieres. Seems that no one is promoting this drama including the cast and the tv network ^_^

45795013_1980119758691982_38863558670790

Kim Woo Jin 
Lee Jong Suk,
(Male, 25/30)

No, if I had not been my father's son, or if my father had been the coward of a poor rural village, or if I had not fallen into literature, or if I had been so cold to ignore my father . I would have loved if I did not know the virtue, even though I kept it all down. 

She is my only companion in the world who deeply understands my literature, touches my dark abyss, and cries with my despair. But she is a miraculous woman that I can never have in reality. Shinduk is my ideal, and I am looking at the reality. To this woman who is crying in front of me I love, I love, I can not do anything other than repeat. So it is hope and despair to me.

(Google Translate)

Yoon Shim Deok (Shin Hye Sun)

(F, 25/30) 

I had no desire to become Woo Jin's wife. I was well aware that the position was not mine in the first place. However, I wanted to talk to Woo-jin and walk down the street holding Woo-jin's warm hands. It also took me a long time to realize my greed, but it did not mean that love would disappear. But is it true that love is just too much for me? I ran away from Woo Jin, reminding me that I have parents to support and brothers to study. And when I met Woo-jin again, I realized. In the first place, I've never been away from Woo-jin. I don't want anything from him, but he says he's sorry he can't do me anything. I really don't want anything. If Woo-jin were to stay with me, I had nothing to hope for.

* Naver translation *

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/drama/hehymnofdeath/cast/56945#0_0

Archived