[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Here to Heart 温暖的弦

sugarplum892

14 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Question to mandarin speakers is miscarriage a better term from abortion.

It's the same phrase (liu chan)  for both meanings, so one's understanding of whether a person means 'miscarriage' or 'abortion', depends on the context in which the word is used. 

Here, when the HR director was asking Du Xin Tong about the first incident, she said that there were coworkers could testify that several months earlier she'd undergone a "liu chan shou shu."  Shou shu means operation.  Hence, in this context it's an abortion. 

But for the second incident, she's been telling people that because Wen Nuan pushed her, she had a "liu chan."  In this context, it's a miscarriage.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished watching Ep 16.  As I stated yesterday, when I peaked ahead: INTENSE.

I also appreciate that, it appears from this episode forward, the end credit song has been switched to Zhang Han's "Without You."  It's perfect. 

I really think WN and NX need to take communication lessons from Guan Ti and Xiao Dai.  So many needless misunderstandings if only they didn't let their insecurities, pride, and jealousy get in the way.  Sigh. 

Since I'm not going to be around tomorrow evening, I'm off to watch 17/18 without subs.  :)

3 hours ago, thephamle said:

Watch it under the dining table while pretending you are listening lol

LOL, that would certainly make for an interesting image at the restaurant.  "Don't mind me, just picking up a dropped fork!"  :D 

@UnniSarah

I'm not a mandarin speaker but my understanding of it is, that bitter ***** lied to her husband that she "miscarried". When the truth is she aborted the baby first. And I agree it baffles me too how life can be so unfair sometimes... I think perhaps her husband saw something in Xin Tong that the rest of us aren't "seeing" like maybe, she's a better person just in his presence? If that made sense. 

I laugh at subs calling Xiao Pan as Little Pan:w00t: I know it's a literal translation but it comes off...weird. 

52 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

It's the same phrase (liu chan)  for both meanings, so one's understanding of whether a person means 'miscarriage' or 'abortion', depends on the context in which the word is used. 

Here, when the HR director was asking Du Xin Tong about the first incident, she said that there were coworkers could testify that several months earlier she'd undergone a "liu chan shou shu."  Shou shu means operation.  Hence, in this context it's an abortion. 

But for the second incident, she's been telling people that because Wen Nuan pushed her, she had a "liu chan."  In this context, it's a miscarriage.

Thank for answering my questions@themarchioness. Have fun with your friends. 

@Latte_Anyday.... I had the same thoughts. Your POV is so on point. YiXin is obsessed with NX and when will she face reality. She knows how painful his memories are of WN and yet she tries to hurt her. I do believe she knows he will protect WN if he can because he is still IN LOVE WITH WEN NUAN. Smh smh 

Ep 17 Comments

Spoiler

Wow.  Yi Xin and her ability to lie without batting an eye will never fail to impress.  I was amazed her nose hadn't reached the door of the restaurant with all the lies she spouted at Wen Nuan.  But I was proud of Wen Nuan.  Even though she was obviously shaken by the lies she heard from Yi Xin, she still tried her best to pretend like it was no big deal and she wasn't the least bit bothered.  I loved that she got in her own little jab at the end when she pointed out that the truest of loves wasn't something that you needed to flash around for the world to see.  You go girl!  Now, if only you had more confidence in your and Nan Xian's love . . .sigh.

As for Nan Xian, I do understand where he's coming from -- particularly after he explained his history with Yi Xin in Episode 16 -- and I actually appreciate that he's never one to rush to judgement.  But I think he's presuming too much in not communicating with Wen Nuan.  Having said that, I think he's also holding himself back because he still doesn't know why Wen Nuan broke up with him. 

It's a rough situation these two are in, and mostly, I'm just missing the state of happiness they'd reached before all this stuff.  How did we get here?  Weren't we just a few episodes ago gawking at Wen Nuan when he went to Nan Xian's house when he was sick????  Sigh. 

I'm fearful too that Nan Xian will now start thinking strange things as well now that Du Xin Ton's boyfriend has gone to work for Dai Zhong.  He surely knows Wen Nuan had a hand in this.  Is he going to get all jealous too?  Gah, I just want these two to TALK.

As for Wen Rou, the drama steps up her love line in this episode with the rock concert at the end.  I'm still sad that she and Zhu Lin Lu can't make a go of it.  And I'm not just saying that because if they got together, that would make things super easy and clear the path for Nan Xian and Wen Nuan.  I actually and genuinely think the two of them would make a good couple -- we see how well they get along and work together, whether it's at work or outside of work.  It's just too bad really.  But we'll see what happens with this new employee.  I had to chuckle when I heard the song he was singing though.  I recognized it immediately from the "My Mr Mermaid" OST.  :D 

Ep 18 Comments

Spoiler

Oh wow oh wow oh wow . . . so much in this episode!

First, the birthday party scene where Wen Nuan ended up falling over Zhu Lin Lu.  I knew the minute it happened Nan Xian was going to show up at the door and YUP.  That's exactly what happened.  I half expected him to turn around and leave though, so I was pleased when Wen Nuan noticed his presence and chased after him.  I just wish the conversation that took place after that had gone differently.  I said in my last post, when I commented on Ep 17, that these two needed to communicate.  I can only emphasize that again here!

It frustrates me that she's holding back because of Yi Xin.  That really needs to be cleared up.  And how super annoying that just as she asks herself whether she should talk to Nan Xian, he shows up at work with Yi Xin on his arms.  Like, seriously, GAHHHHHHH.

I also wonder though how much she really can explain the past to Nan Xian when there are obviously parts of the past that she can't remember.  That's why as much as I recognize that Wen Rou does love her sister, and I think genuinely wishes for Wen Nuan's happiness, I also feel frustrated by her and those wishes of hers.  Because, really?  If things had happened differently in the past, Wen Nuan would be happier right now, and we all know Wen Rou has played some part in this mysterious past.

As for Nan Xian, apart from my annoyance that over the fact that he's still got Yi Xin hanging around, my sympathies do lie with him right now.  I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for him to not know the reason for their break up -- and not only that, but to wonder about it for seven years.  Gosh, that's such a long time to be left hanging with questions!  I'm glad he's asking her the questions.  I just wish he'd give her space to answer.  I also wish he'd trust in her and himself.  I wanted to remind him of the drunken words that Wen Rou revealed several episodes back.  Don't be fulled by what you saw in the past and what you see in the present, Nan Xian.  You know there's nothing going on with Zhu Lin Lu! 

With all that said, it was nice to finally hear from him his perspective of the past.  It explains so much.  I love that he has Manager Gao to confide in, and I wonder with all this information and his benefit of being an impartial observer, whether he will continue to play the Fairy Godmother roll for these two star-crossed lovers.  I certainly hope so as we know, from the past incident where he sent Wen Nuan running over to Nan Xian's house, that it's a role he plays very well.  :wink:

In conclusion, Episode 18 was both frustrating but a revelation at the same time.  My main comfort is knowing that these are all band-aids that need to be ripped off.  Only then can the wounds start to heal, and I do feel like we're making progress.  At least, that's what I'm hoping!  :)

Sorry, i feel like I've spammed the thread so much tonight!  I'm going to bed now.  :tongue: 

7 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Totally.  It's like the dance sequence from the charity auction event -- when they're together, everything just fades away until it's just them.  

I'm so excited because I finally get to leave work and can go home to WATCH.  LOL.  Yes, my friends, I've reached that level of desperation.  Let's not even talk about the fact that I've two friends that happen to be visiting from out of town the same week.  We're meeting up for dinner tomorrow night and it occurred to me that I'll get home too late to do any real watching!!!  I'm in utter agony.  What am I going to do tomorrow night???  Couldn't they have visited last week?  :lol::lol::lol:

That is the power of editing. :wink: Knowing when to fade the background and side characters.

3 hours ago, gentlelily12 said:

Hi all.  Thanks to @cheeriekwan hehe hi hi again, i finally found a watchable drama after such a while i must say.  Loving the chemistry between ZH and JC as i did in their The Four in 2015. 

Welcome to the thread, you will love it.  Me too a fan of ZH snd JC since The Four. Happy watching ya.

9 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Finished watching Ep 16.  As I stated yesterday, when I peaked ahead: INTENSE.

I also appreciate that, it appears from this episode forward, the end credit song has been switched to Zhang Han's "Without You."  It's perfect. 

I really think WN and NX need to take communication lessons from Guan Ti and Xiao Dai.  So many needless misunderstandings if only they didn't let their insecurities, pride, and jealousy get in the way.  Sigh. 

Since I'm not going to be around tomorrow evening, I'm off to watch 17/18 without subs.  :)

LOL, that would certainly make for an interesting image at the restaurant.  "Don't mind me, just picking up a dropped fork!"  :D 

Agreed. All the misunderstandings are driving me a little bit crazy. Now it’s half way through the drama and I’m getting a bit worried because Wen Nuan and Nan Xiang has barely talked about their relationship. Sure we get bits and pieces so far but it’s time to tackle something meatier.

Thanks for the points on episodes 17 and 18. Like Nan Xian, I’d really like to know why she broke up with him.

4 hours ago, gentlelily12 said:

Hi all.  Thanks to @cheeriekwan hehe hi hi again, i finally found a watchable drama after such a while i must say.  Loving the chemistry between ZH and JC as i did in their The Four in 2015. 

Their very first scene in The Four made me fall hard for them. It was so funny.

Addicted is the word. You know you are doomed when you just want the raws of 19 and 20 more than the subs for 17 and 18. I just want to know what happens next. Why are they torturing themselves and us??? How hard it must be to just talk everything out and get back together again?? Clearly she came back for him, then why would she let him misunderstand her. And clearly he had been waiting for a whole 7 years for her, now why can't he just clear her relationship with that actress and come back to her. They just don't trust each other. That is the issue. They have doubts. Although I dont know how after that karoake session any of them have doubts about other's love for them. It's clear as day!!!!! She cried, he cried! sighhhhh. I actually don't think Zhu Lin lu or the foxy actress are the hindrances in their relationship, it's themselves. Whatever the reason might be for why she left him 7 years back, why can't she just trust him and tell him the truth. Sighhhhhhh. 

I think the major draw for me is it's similarity to Silent separation. I just love these kind of stories. The angst is real. LOL. Even though I feel like throwing things at my screen sometimes, I just love to see the lovebirds finding their way back to each other. And Zhang Han is pretty cool. I honestly never found him attractive before, but this drama changed the impression I had of him. He does things to me now. Lol. I just want to bite his ears off. I know I occasionally have these perverted thoughts. Don't mind me. Lol. 

Delurking after a long time. Hello to everyone!!!

4 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Addicted is the word. You know you are doomed when you just want the raws of 19 and 20 more than the subs for 17 and 18. I just want to know what happens next. Why are they torturing themselves and us??? How hard it must be to just talk everything out and get back together again?? Clearly she came back for him, then why would she let him misunderstand her. And clearly he had been waiting for a whole 7 years for her, now why can't he just clear her relationship with that actress and come back to her. They just don't trust each other. That is the issue. They have doubts. Although I dont know how after that karoake session any of them have doubts about other's love for them. It's clear as day!!!!! She cried, he cried! sighhhhh. I actually don't think Zhu Lin lu or the foxy actress are the hindrances in their relationship, it's themselves. Whatever the reason might be for why she left him 7 years back, why can't she just trust him and tell him the truth. Sighhhhhhh. 

I think the major draw for me is it's similarity to Silent separation. I just love these kind of stories. The angst is real. LOL. Even though I feel like throwing things at my screen sometimes, I just love to see the lovebirds finding their way back to each other. And Zhang Han is pretty cool. I honestly never found him attractive before, but this drama changed the impression I had of him. He does things to me now. Lol. I just want to bite his ears off. I know I occasionally have these perverted thoughts. Don't mind me. Lol. 

Delurking after a long time. Hello to everyone!!!

LOL I have a weakness for “second chance at love” stories but I have to admit that as soon as I found out last September that these two were going to be leads in a drama again I intended to watch it without even knowing a thing about the story. When I saw the scene of Wen Nuan and Lin Lu wiping the cream from the cake on their faces, it reminded me of last September when it was Janing’s birthday and Zhang Han smeared her cheeks with the cream from the cake but she got him back later by doing the same. It was so funny. I saw the pictures and the videos of her birthday celebration on the set.

As to Wen Nuan and Nan Xian’s current impasse, I think Wen Nuan needs to be more courageous. She left England with a purpose but so far she’s too passive. I get that she’s still timid but I think she needs to go after what she wants. Nan Xian needs to stop letting the misunderstanding of his relationship with Yi Xin flourish. I think manager Gao already warned him about this but he doesn’t seem to take it seriously.

Welcome @gentlelily12!  I'm really loving the chemistry between the OTP too.  I must confess that prior to this drama, I never really understood the appeal of ZH, but this drama is turning me into a believer!  Haha.

@jadore1, thank you, I'm glad you are ok with my live reactions.  I can't seem to help myself.  Someone will inevitably say something that makes me flail around and I just have to say something.  It's no fun doing that by myself, so I'm appreciative of this group.  :)

37 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

Agreed. All the misunderstandings are driving me a little bit crazy. Now it’s half way through the drama and I’m getting a bit worried because Wen Nuan and Nan Xiang has barely talked about their relationship. Sure we get bits and pieces so far but it’s time to tackle something meatier.

Thanks for the points on episodes 17 and 18. Like Nan Xian, I’d really like to know why she broke up with him.

So . . . about the "halfway point" thing.  I know MDL lists the drama as 36 episodes, but the drama's Chinese Wikipedia page says 46.  I think (not certain, but think) that episode lengths differ based on the platform on which it is aired (in other words: online versus television), and that is the reason for the discrepancy.  As the Viki videos are 45 minutes long, using past experience of watching other dramas with episodes this length as my measure, I'm more inclined to believe the 46 number than 36.  Just thought I'd point that out. 

As for the break-up reason, I also confess that long ago I read a spoiler someone posted on their blog from the book.  If anyone can't stand the suspense and wants to know it, feel free to PM me.

23 minutes ago, kokodus said:

And Zhang Han is pretty cool. I honestly never found him attractive before, but this drama changed the impression I had of him.

OMG!!! He did things to me since 

Spoiler

Boss and Me.... he was so hot there  :wub::wub::wub:

big-eyes-raccoon-emoticon.gif  feel-love-raccoon-emoticon.giffeel-love-raccoon-emoticon.gif

I can't believe I'm saying this but I really want this to have 46 eps. LOL. 

@celebrianna Yes I did see some pics of them celebrating Janine's bday. They seemed to be good friends. I have not watched The four, so I don't know anything about them, but now I'm shipping them. Lol.

@UnniSarah Hahahahaha!!! I know many of them loved Boss and me, but I have not even finished that drama. Sigh. But I'm definitely going to give it another try now that I started seeing him in a different light, thanks to this show. Hehehehe. 

5 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

Nan Xian needs to stop letting the misunderstanding of his relationship with Yi Xin flourish. I think manager Gao already warned him about this but he doesn’t seem to take it seriously.

I don't know that it's because he doesn't take it seriously.  Rather, something I've noticed about Nan Xian is that he seem to go out of his way to pursue or establish the truth, and instead prefers to let things come out on their own.  As he's explained to Wen Nuan, so long as one's conscience is free, the truth will eventually be free.

We've seen him handle company matters this way (such as every time Wen Nuan was maligned).  We've also seen him handle Yi Xin that way (such as when he didn't confront her about the true nature of her relationship with Du Xin Tong).  And i think he's probably handling Wen Nuan the same way right now.

From his perspective, he probably thinks she should know where his heart in fact lies.  After all, he wasn't the one who broke off their relationship, she was.  He's the one who's been sitting around, waiting for the past seven years.  & etc.

In writing this, I don't meant to absolve Nan Xian from any wrongdoing.  It's true he's shown her plenty how he really feels (like his comments after their karaoke duet), but he also shouldn't throw Yi Xin in her face (like when he spends the morning with her and brings her back to his office).  But with all that said, I do kind of understand his perspective.

Plus, in terms of a personality trait, I actually do appreciate that he isn't one to fly off the handle and immediately react, but rather takes the time to process and deal with things in a just and fair manner.

4 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I don't know that it's because he doesn't take it seriously.  Rather, something I've noticed about Nan Xian is that he seem to go out of his way to pursue or establish the truth, and instead prefers to let things come out on their own.  As he's explained to Wen Nuan, so long as one's conscience is free, the truth will eventually be free.

We've seen him handle company matters this way (such as every time Wen Nuan was maligned).  We've also seen him handle Yi Xin that way (such as when he didn't confront her about the true nature of her relationship with Du Xin Tong).  And i think he's probably handling Wen Nuan the same way right now.

From his perspective, he probably thinks she should know where his heart in fact lies.  After all, he wasn't the one who broke off their relationship, she was.  He's the one who's been sitting around, waiting for the past seven years.  & etc.

In writing this, I don't meant to absolve Nan Xian from any wrongdoing.  It's true he's shown her plenty how he really feels (like his comments after their karaoke duet), but he also shouldn't throw Yi Xin in her face (like when he spends the morning with her and brings her back to his office).  But with all that said, I do kind of understand his perspective.

Plus, in terms of a personality trait, I actually do appreciate that he isn't one to fly off the handle and immediately react, but rather takes the time to process and deal with things in a just and fair manner.

Ok I agree that it's in his personality to be passive and let the truth come out on it's own. But I think in matters of love, one has to be proactive, so that you don't lose your loved ones to others. See this is the difference between YC and him, ok I know I should stop comparing. Lol. And you know how I work, I just don't have that patience to wait a million years for them to get together. Just confess and get together already you two! Goddammit!!!!!

Archived