[ Mainland Chinese Drama 2019 ] The Legend of White Snake 新白娘子传奇 (Alan yu and Ju Jing Yi )

RPM

On 4/10/2019 at 3:33 PM, rosierosie said:

The filter doesn't bother me. I think so far, the storyline is great!! AY's portrayed as XX supposed to be meek, not masculine. His character to me is shy, innocent, cute and respectful. AY portrays his character very well :)!! They do have chemistry, I like how their interactions and meeting creates their love storyline. They both have similar taste and values, how he was able to answer her poem at the Lantern festival, and how they meet there :). They are meant for each other. I also like how funny the green snake is, and her friendship with BSZ!!

Same. Being a fantasy drama targeted for younger audience I thought the filter actually works quite well.

Also, as you said, isn’t XX character supposed to be the soft type. His character is never played as masculine or strong in previous adaptation anyway. In the 1993 version, he was even played by Cecilia Yip. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know quite a number of young viewers who expressed strong adversion to the enhancements used by cdramas (not just in the film but also publicity photos) to make their actors' complexions pale and flawless. I don't normally notice this but for this drama, it really struck me because everything was pale, not just the people and I was fresh from viewing The Legends which has a darker palette and sharper images.

3 minutes ago, bluehibiscus said:

I know quite a number of young viewers who expressed strong adversion to the enhancements used by cdramas (not just in the film but also publicity photos) to make their actors' complexions pale and flawless. I don't normally notice this but for this drama, it really struck me because everything was pale, not just the people and I was fresh from viewing The Legends which has a darker palette and sharper images.

I agree. I didn't notice at first, but when I saw the comparison image side by side; I can see there is a difference. It is much better to watch it without the image looking so white and wash-out?? The originals color was not as white and wash-out as this newer version. I read they fixed it, so we fans can enjoy it without all the whiteness.

989232aely1g2458a0t9zj21g221fwxz.jpg

989232aegy1g23i47ladsj23344mokjm.jpg

989232aegy1g23ijlg512j24mo3344qq.jpg

Spoiler

989232aegy1g23imdjxkfj24mo334x6r.jpg

989232aegy1g23i4hgd69j22be3k0hdv.jpg

989232aegy1g23i4a4ygxj23344mohdu.jpg

989232aegy1g23ifuv5qkj21k02c0kjl.jpg

Previous version the destiny of White Snake almost got banned because of Love track between Greensnake and Monk and in end they need to cut those scenes of love story between them.

So love story between them not possible in any way.:bawling:

^Ruyi is annoying and childish but I hope she doesn't turn evil. But, I don't remember Ruyi in the 90s version?? Haha

edit: I like the Yu Tang with Xiao Qing, they are adorable and funny together. 

I'm on episode 23, and I hope the pace of the drama will pick up soon!! It's nice to see the OTP's interactions, but I need to see some progress and actions in the story. Aish Ruyi is getting annoying!! She needs to just turn evil and go be with toad guy now. I really like Xiao Qing's interactions with her guy and the monk. Xiao Qing is pretty, the actress is pretty!!

I need to said something for all problem with FaiHai. I watch probably all version for the story about the white snake or green snake. If you talk about TVB. ATV, Singapore Channel 8, mainland, taiwanese version...I don't understand why they make so a big drama about the green snake kiss FaiHai :blink:

This version 1992, I was a bit less then 10 year old...

credit YT 

TTV 台視官方頻道 TTV Official Channel

This version was the one from the version 2019 remake it. FaiHai sure wasn't a young one but a old monk. All song was from the version 1992. Ok no love between the green snake and FaiHai

But the version 2018 (Destiny of the white snake) where we can see a love between FaiHai and the green snake was look alike the Fann Wong version and Christopher Lee singapore CH 8 version. 

Credit YT 

楊佩佩戲劇館

Seriously this version was my favorite ever for all remake, because the love between the green snake and FaiHai was so angst. Oh they have a kiss inside too. They have many remake about the green snake and FaiHai...Some version was about the lead guy fall for the green snake and not the white snake....I know it's kinda wrong about a monk fall in love...still it's make my heart cry more. 

BTW :wub: please watch this version with all children between 7-10 year old . Also they sing and be more professional than adult :) they have 8 episodes or more....real serie!!

credit YT 芒果小戏骨剧场

Ok well I just want to write what I want to say...be lurker cannot help my feeling :sweatingbullets: now time to run away....

Okay..... I am on episode 32, and I see no signs of Suzhen having a child with Xian........ I will be greatly disappointed if this version did not make this happen given that this version focused so much on Suzhen's and Xian's romance....

Producer Responds to Criticisms on The Legend of White Snake Remake

The latest version of The Legend Of White Snake 新白娘子传奇 starring Alan Yu Menglong as Xu Xuan and Ju Jingyi as Bai Suzhen premiered last month. It was the official adaptation based on the 1992 version popularized by Angie Chiu and Cecilia Yip. While the series has been a visually appealing experience, people were unhappy that this version was different and seemed more like an idol romance instead of the timeless love story it used to be. 

Producer Liu Guimei has addressed several concerns of the drama's critics in a recent interview.  She says that they opted to modernize the classic story, catering it to a younger audience because if they followed the 1992 Legend Of White Snake, they would only be imitating it and not innovating.  

As there were complaints over iconic scenes being left out, she says that the most important thing in an adaptation is not to copy the story, but to focus on an aspect of it. The meeting at the bridge, the mountain scene, the umbrella scene, opening a clinic, these were all included in the 2019 version. However, it wasn't a point by point reenactment, instead they changed things up a bit in order to offer something new. 

Liu Guimei also talks about casting Yu Menglong and Ju Jingyi. The 1992 version featured an older cast that was in their thirties. Liu Guimei admits that Angie Chiu exuded an air of dignity that is difficult to surpass and the original is too much of a classic to replace. A remake focusing on younger characters is their take on the story. Ju Jingyi's Bai Suzhen is very youthful and the actress herself is also younger and in her twenties. Her character will have a growth process of learning and understanding which will be essential for the plot.  

Liu Guimei further says that they chose Alan Yu as Xu Xian since he gave off the feeling of gentleness and elegance while they cast Ju Jingyi for her temperament of being smart and neat, perfect for their vision of Bai Suzhen.

( I also think that it's visually appealing but not interesting and slow also . Actor's talented but script of drama was not remarkable )

I agree with the above interview. I'm only on episode 3 but it is refreshing to see Bai Suzhen so youthful and actually learning as she went along in the mortal world. From the photos in a few posts up, it definitely feels all characters will mature and become more serious later on in the series. So far it is kind of slow but I'm eager to get to the meat of the story.

I'm on ep  27 and my heart is broken for Xiao Qing and Yutang!!! These two are sooo cute!!! I even like them next to our OTP!!! Haha, their stoyline seems to be much interesting than our OTP at the moment. I like how now, we can see the changes in the characters slowly, especially for Xiao Qing, as she is becoming a woman and is maturing. The actress that played Xiao Qing is very good at acting!! I hope she gets her own lead roles soon, seeing as she is only in her early 20s. She has expressed her emotions so well, and she is a great cast for Green Snake. I hope they do a remake of Green Snak love story!!!

9 hours ago, rosierosie said:

The actress that played Xiao Qing is very good at acting!! I hope she gets her own lead roles soon, seeing as she is only in her early 20s.

She is indeed very talented. She just finished filming the remake of The Little Nyona as the female lead a few months ago.

Spoiler

BuF--hufnxfn8156076.jpg

On 5/3/2019 at 8:17 PM, RPM said:

Actor's talented but script of drama was not remarkable

I agree with this.  Although some people have complained that the actors aren't expressive, I think they play their characters in a restrained way, which suits their roles as a 1000 year old snake and an introverted scholar.  I loved watching them fall in love in the first half of the series, those scenes were beautifully done and well paced.  I think they had lovely chemistry. (Also, could Ju Jingyi be anymore beautiful?  Its ridiculous!)

4 hours ago, rosierosie said:

I'm on ep  27 and my heart is broken for Xiao Qing and Yutang!!! These two are sooo cute!!! I even like them next to our OTP!!! Haha, their stoyline seems to be much interesting than our OTP at the moment. I like how now, we can see the changes in the characters slowly, especially for Xiao Qing, as she is becoming a woman and is maturing. The actress that played Xiao Qing is very good at acting!! I hope she gets her own lead roles soon, seeing as she is only in her early 20s. She has expressed her emotions so well, and she is a great cast for Green Snake. I hope they do a remake of Green Snak love story!!!

I love the Xiao Qing actress too,  I think she is easily the focal point of many scenes.  Also, as a character Xio Qing is really fun, and she is passionate.  I found the main couple became a bit bland after a while - but their lack of passion isn't the actors fault (I've seen the legend of Yun Xi), I think it is the way they are written - they're too good, and wholesome, and slow to anger.   

Unfortunately, at the stage you're at, episode 27, I already found the multiple criss-crossing story arcs bad, as in unnecessarily complicated, repetitive and unoriginal.  None of the side characters are that interesting - Prince Mu, the general, the water god - and AHHHHHH! the sight of Ruyi saying the same stuff and acting like the same spoilt child again makes me want to cry. 

Spoiler

I have watched until the end because I stubbornly stuck with it, and the ending is really unsatisfying, and almost crammed in.  I'm really sad because I loved the actors and the story.  

Has anyone noticed how handsome the actor playing Fa Hai is? Just saying. 

Archived