Quantcast

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] I Will Never Let You Go / Legend of Huo Buo 小女花不弃

sugarplum892

@shihuangdi

I don't think we're really meant to believe that BQ imagined she saw LYK ;) but the way that epilogue was tacked on was so sloppy that anyone could quite easily think that. The reason why I think it is the real deal is because she took the mask off his face and they hugged. Plus that scene comes up in the drama's opening. My guess is that they wanted to give the audience a happy ending to soothe frayed nerves after the carnage. ;)

My theory as to how CY escaped... I'd hazard a guess and say that he found his way out after falling down the well. There are probably secret passageways under Bi Luo Tian that lead back out. 

It is frustrating because that should have been dealt with, leaving no doubt as to what happened. Did they run out of money? That's my usual question when confronted with crappy endings. 

I can accept BQ being LYK if she was purely living by her wits. She didn't look to be using any kind of martial arts but I would like to know how she set up the trap for the bandits on her own. I don't think martial arts is needed to achieve that but she would have needed help. 

@gentlelily12 They only really needed to give us one more episode to explain how CY escaped. It doesn't take that long to show a few flashbacks and give a proper reunion. Like you I think it was really him not BQ's imagination but they did a rather half-hearted job and that's why everyone's scratching their heads.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi hi! New here and pretty late to the game. I guess I'm here to rant a bit because I really agree with everyone that that ending was super underwhelming. It's kinda sweet- sure, but jeez... really? I think I even bought into CY's whole schtick about being able to safeguard BQ a bit, even if he went to extremes to do so.

But in an effort to comfort myself, I began rewatching this drama for the cute parts and even the emotional parts which brings me to the purpose of my rant: after getting to the point where CY was devastated (ep. 18), his response is what is triggering me to post this right now. Because that reaction is what I was hoping for to come out later on... that angst/anger/passion that was a bit ruthless because of the situation at hand. I mean, come on... CY, dude what happened to you? Okay, I should stop myself now because I'm not sure if I even did this post correctly. Apologies in advance! >_<

Actually, Ariel did an interview two days ago where she said the vague/open ending was done on purpose, so that the audience can "choose" the ending they want.  So I guess whether you believe CY really did survive and come back, or whether it was just BQ's imagination, neither is wrong.

For me, I thought it was her imagination because of the flashbacks to their first meeting and how she said “she'll carry on the legend of LYK and that he will always be with her":)

On 3/7/2019 at 11:22 PM, taeunfighting said:

@vtxy Thank you! Whenever you have the time, can you please help explain following:

Hide contents

How in the novel did DFS become emperor? Who is his empress? Does she happen to be the general's daughter that his grandfather spoke about in one of episodes?

How did the Biluotian matter get resolved?

Of course, I am going to be greedy and say that I would love to hear more than just the above.  When you have the time :)

I've included some simple answers to your questions :)

Spoiler

I can't remember how exactly DFS became emperor, but it had to do with LQY impersonating LQW as the empress concubine. I'm in the process of skimming through the novel again, will update you with a clearer answer when I'm done!

Actually in the novel DFS was supported by many other forces, so his empress and concubines were the daughters of these people who helped him. If I didn't remember wrongly, the person his grandfather spoke of in the show did become his empress.

As some background context, BQ and MRF were both people from modern times who time-travelled back in time. To protect BQ (without knowing she was a time-traveller) CY actually put a plan into action to frame MRF as the Biluotian priest and it sort of worked because both MRF and BQ exhibit signs of not being from their times. I'm oversimplifying things a lot here but in the end, there was this supernatural whirlwind at Biluotian and MRF + LQY were pushed/sucked into it before the whirlwind disappeared and the Biluotian matter was considered resolved. P.S. in the book MRF was a male. 

Will try to explain a bit more in another post after I'm done looking through the novel again!

Before I embark on doing a very summarized comparison of how the novel plays out compared to the show, I would like to just rant a little haha.

What a shitty ending. Like @themarchioness said, there were so many spoilers (which I appreciated) that I didn't really feel much while watching the last 2 episodes. I even watched at x2 speed for some parts. I know some people prefer not having spoilers but I was SO glad I wasn't going in blind cos I would have been really upset at how terrible the show ended after chasing it for so long. I guess my expectations were even higher cos I read the novel and expected thing to turn out similarly. I was really wrong haha.

Even the author of the novel expressed her disappointment on her weibo. She said she didn't like the fact that all the characters died, because there wasn't sufficient reason for their deaths. I think a lot of us here agree totally. YL, DS and her brother didn't even need to be at that fighting scene? And it didn't seem like CY and YC had a very good plan to stop MM so I'm not sure what the writers were trying to make them do. Its just such a sloppy way of dealing with the characters who deserved so much more. 

Another point the author wasn't happy with was how CY's character was written in the second half of the drama, and felt bad that he wasn't written as exciting as DFS. I'm not sure how I would have felt about CY if I watched the drama only, but although I still liked CY over DFS, the way his character was written was indeed quite disappointing in the second half of the show. So many scenes were added that showed him in an unflattering light, while his interesting parts weren't included. Of course, its not like he was perfect in the novel. Just more interesting and understandable.

Speaking of adding scenes, many were complaining that the actors playing DFS and LQW got so many additional scenes cos they are under the agency making this show (along with Ariel Lin) and the agency wanted to promote them. Nothing against the actors themselves (I thought DFS was well acted), but its so sad that the potential of the drama was not realised due to such agendas. 

Hahaha rant over for now. I'm sure my displeasure will still somehow leak out in my comparison posts :X

A 20min compilation of BQ and CY's moments from the beginning to end of the show :wub: Of course this doesn't cover everything but it does include a lot! Sorry I couldn't find an eng-subbed version of this :/

http://t.cn/EITNItU

I personally like how it puts their happy times in the woods at the last part. I consider that episode as my ending too.

As much as I dislike how the drama ended, I will always love the sweetness and love between the lead couple (:

8 hours ago, achng said:

Actually, Ariel did an interview two days ago where she said the vague/open ending was done on purpose, so that the audience can "choose" the ending they want.  So I guess whether you believe CY really did survive and come back, or whether it was just BQ's imagination, neither is wrong.

For me, I thought it was her imagination because of the flashbacks to their first meeting and how she said “she'll carry on the legend of LYK and that he will always be with her":)

Thanks for that. :)

With all due respect to Ariel Lin, whom I love as an actor, I find this kind of "choose your own adventure" approach to film making ridiculous (not to mention lazy) because the ending should and must make sense in light of the whole drama. I'm fine if CY's dead because that makes sense from what we see of him falling into the well. Of course I'm sad if he is but at least that would be consistent with what we know. But if they want us to toy with the possibility that he could be alive despite the impossible odds then they need to establish prior that there's something about Bi Luo Tian or the well that allows for that possibility. Just to tack on a scene to placate viewers... that's nonsensical.

From a storytelling perspective it's utterly woeful. That's why I said in an earlier post that in the end Bi Luo Tian was largely gimmickry because apart from everyone looking for it like the holy grail, we didn't know a heck of a lot about it, much less how anyone could get out of there alive. 

I don't mind ambiguity if there's something already established that allows for it. ;)

7 hours ago, vtxy said:

Another point the author wasn't happy with was how CY's character was written in the second half of the drama, and felt bad that he wasn't written as exciting as DFS. I'm not sure how I would have felt about CY if I watched the drama only, but although I still liked CY over DFS, the way his character was written was indeed quite disappointing in the second half of the show. So many scenes were added that showed him in an unflattering light, while his interesting parts weren't included. Of course, its not like he was perfect in the novel. Just more interesting and understandable.

Speaking of adding scenes, many were complaining that the actors playing DFS and LQW got so many additional scenes cos they are under the agency making this show (along with Ariel Lin) and the agency wanted to promote them. Nothing against the actors themselves (I thought DFS was well acted), but its so sad that the potential of the drama was not realised due to such agendas. 

Hahaha rant over for now. I'm sure my displeasure will still somehow leak out in my comparison posts :X

It's always interesting how such rumours surface in a lot of dramas. I suppose there might be something to it as the film industry in China seems fraught with dodgy practices. I would agree though that the show gave a lot of screen time to both LQW and DFS in the second half... that seemed to drag things out unnecessarily. I really felt that.

But I personally didn't have a problem with how CY was presented in the second half. I thought he generally acted in consistent fashion considering how his hands were tied. It was obvious all along to me that he was double dealing and playing the noble idiot in front of DFS and BQ even before the big reveal. Perhaps there's no justification for him being loyal to the emperor aside from the important fact that they're relatives :P but there's even less justification for him to go over to DFS' side except as a spy. They were never exactly the best of friends in the first place and DFS was keeping BQ hostage as well.. As he said himself he wanted the whole thing resolved quickly and mitigate casualties.

Certainly DFS was the more colourful character  and he had plenty of opportunities to show that off in Shakespearean style but I felt that the show lost its lustre for me by dragging out the love triangle.

(Of course I should know better by now after watching C dramas for the last few years that things can get ugly fast)

7 hours ago, vtxy said:

A 20min compilation of BQ and CY's moments from the beginning to end of the show :wub: Of course this doesn't cover everything but it does include a lot! Sorry I couldn't find an eng-subbed version of this :/

I personally like how it puts their happy times in the woods at the last part. I consider that episode as my ending too.

As much as I dislike how the drama ended, I will always love the sweetness and love between the lead couple (:

me too:D

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the ending.. I interpreted that CY is dead, because if he is still somehow alive even after what looked like a deep fall and found a way out, then that means the damn old creepy man is possibly alive too. I'm leaning more towards believing that the end was her imagination, she did not seem that excited when he popped up. They just.. Hugged. No happy tears, no kissing, no questioning how he is alive. Also someone mentioned about that she'll always keep LYK alive in her heart. I honestly stopped watching after episode 28 and stuck around to read recaps. No regrets.

Its not as if Bin Bin didn't have a lot of face time during the series - it was that he was given a horrible story arc in the 2nd half.  

I was glad to have an exciting antagonist with Austin Lin's performance as DFS, so I am not complaining about that at all.  In fact, when you compare Bin Bin's & Lin's performances together, I was sad to see that Bin Bin fell flat.  He is a fine actor - I loved him in 10 miles and also the King's Woman, but this role was not the best script for him.  The nice thing about this series - I added a new actor to follow with my CDramas - Austin Lin is an amazing talent. 

36 minutes ago, roxnilla7 said:

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the ending.. I interpreted that CY is dead, because if he is still somehow alive even after what looked like a deep fall and found a way out, then that means the damn old creepy man is possibly alive too. I'm leaning more towards believing that the end was her imagination, she did not seem that excited when he popped up. They just.. Hugged. No happy tears, no kissing, no questioning how he is alive. Also someone mentioned about that she'll always keep LYK alive in her heart. I honestly stopped watching after episode 28 and stuck around to read recaps. No regrets.

I am leaning towards this theory as well.  I think she is now trying to cope with all of the trauma.  There is no way she can be a fem-version of LRK, as she has no martial arts and no shifu to teach her.  She has always been a storyteller and I think she is just making stuff up in her head.  

I actually am fine with this ending, as she brought death to all of her friends. It is more fitting with a traditional Chinese drama ending.  I wish the script writers had followed the novel & you can have a lot of bloody scenes without killing everyone (Fu Yao did it quite well with all of their blood spitting).  People would have been much more happy about the series. 

Ahhh well.  I think this might get the worst drama with the best acting performance of the year award for me. 

14 hours ago, vtxy said:

Love this clip  and  where it ends! Thanks! 

15 hours ago, vtxy said:

Before I embark on doing a very summarized comparison of how the novel plays out compared to the show, I would like to just rant a little haha.

What a shitty ending. Like @themarchioness said, there were so many spoilers (which I appreciated) that I didn't really feel much while watching the last 2 episodes. I even watched at x2 speed for some parts. I know some people prefer not having spoilers but I was SO glad I wasn't going in blind cos I would have been really upset at how terrible the show ended after chasing it for so long. I guess my expectations were even higher cos I read the novel and expected thing to turn out similarly. I was really wrong haha.

Even the author of the novel expressed her disappointment on her weibo. She said she didn't like the fact that all the characters died, because there wasn't sufficient reason for their deaths. I think a lot of us here agree totally. YL, DS and her brother didn't even need to be at that fighting scene? And it didn't seem like CY and YC had a very good plan to stop MM so I'm not sure what the writers were trying to make them do. Its just such a sloppy way of dealing with the characters who deserved so much more. 

Looking forward to your summary / comparison wth the novel. Again, wish  there is an English version of the novel.  Can you ping me when you post it? 

I haven’t seen the last two eps yet and my heart has already sunken to the bottom of my feet. 

It started out so good and was quite spectacular in the middle. But it’s always the end in almost every C-dramas i’ve had the pleasure of watching that always seem to pull the blanket from under me. 

I hear endings are usually affected by the need to please many layers, having many loose ends to tie, limited resources and so is rather easy to get blindsided. These seem true for all dramas...but C-dramas more often than not.

i don’t get the vibe that C-dramas are lacking in resources because, just assessing visually, their costumes and sets are ostentatious to say the least. This drama’s writing also seemed to have weaved in the various plots well. Then, panic somehow set in, threw me what I didn’t like and made me unappreciative. Heh.

ok, the biluotian is a real piece of BS. But other than the stupidity of a sudden resurrection or magical internal strength being the explanation for the possibility of a reunion/not a reunion, I rather enjoyed this show. Three quarters of it anyway. The lead couple is really awfully cute. :)

If you didn't watch the last two eps, DON'T....It'll ruin it.  I am so disappointed in the ending...I also don't understand why the writers had to ruin the enjoyment of watching for this show's fans.  I won't go into details since Vtxy probably described it already.  Like Rocat , I enjoyed watching 3/4 of it too.  

This drama is really weird in that really bad wicked people ends up getting all the happiness...WHY!!!!

On 3/10/2019 at 9:07 PM, vtxy said:

Another point the author wasn't happy with was how CY's character was written in the second half of the drama, and felt bad that he wasn't written as exciting as DFS. I'm not sure how I would have felt about CY if I watched the drama only, but although I still liked CY over DFS, the way his character was written was indeed quite disappointing in the second half of the show. So many scenes were added that showed him in an unflattering light, while his interesting parts weren't included. Of course, its not like he was perfect in the novel. Just more interesting and 

ok to rant !  need to vent the frustrations.

can u share author's weibo link , want to read what she wrote. thks in adv.

How does the novel end? I mean for all the characters? Do Xiao Xia and Yuan Chong end up together? Do Yun Lang and Lin Dansha end up together? What happens to the evil sister twins? And of course, what happens to our main couple? I don't read Chinese, and the book is only in Chinese. I want to know how different it is from the TV Show since the TV Show ending was terrible. I was hoping for a good happy ending in the TV Show because of how comedic and fun it was, but it was such a bad ending. I'm hoping the novel was a better one. If anyone knows, let me know how all the characters do. Thanks!

Also, does anyone know what dynasty this might be in? I've been researching, it looks like it might be set in the Ming dynasty? Not sure, but it seems likely. Buqi mentions the eight celestials, and the one she mentioned, He Xiangu, was one of the eight immortals first described in the Yuan dynasty. She isn't one of the eight immortals of Huainan. So the series has to take place either in the Yuan or Ming, because non of the hairstyles seemed to match the Qing dynasty. But it doesn't exclude the possibility of it being set in the Yuan dynasty.

I know, it's historical fiction, but I mean in general, the clothing, the hairstyles, the ranking names, they seem to fit within those two dynasties. What do you guys think?

Saw a Zhang Binbin interview recently on YouTube where he talked about the ending of this drama. He said that he didn’t have good endings in all of his previous dramas but he has a good one in this drama. He said it was a happy and perfect ending as the two main leads end up with each other. Base on that, I believe the final scene in the woods where Chen Yu and Hua Bu Qi met up was not Bu Qi’s imagination. Yes, like everyone, i felt the ending was rushed and left so many things hanging in the air. Had they given that scene abit more time, it wouldn’t have left us the audience guessing. What a pity. It was such a wonderful drama and the ending just ruined it. :(

2 minutes ago, serendipity1974 said:

Saw a Zhang Binbin interview recently on YouTube where he talked about the ending of this drama. He said that he didn’t have good endings in all of his previous dramas but he has a good one in this drama. He said it was a happy and perfect ending as the two main leads end up with each other. Base on that, I believe the final scene in the woods where Chen Yu and Hua Bu Qi met up was not Bu Qi’s imagination. Yes, like everyone, i felt the ending was rushed and left so many things hanging in the air. Had they given that scene abit more time, it wouldn’t have left us the audience guessing. What a pity. It was such a wonderful drama and the ending just ruined it. :(

It's funny that they say a happy ending. It must be very different than my version of a happy ending. I mean I'm glad they ended up together, but everyone else is dead. That's not a happy ending for me. That's a very sad ending. I was hoping for a great ending, but unfortunately that was not the case. I had such high hopes for a drama that was so comedic and joyful. For it to end on such a darker tone than the show itself, well, let's just say that part wasn't well written.

yeah, this was not a happy ending.  If they followed the novel, it would have been a happy ending.  As it is, if Chen Yu is alive (which I am thinking NOT), how can they live with themselves, knowing that they were the cause of so many deaths?

Archived