[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] I Will Never Let You Go / Legend of Huo Buo 小女花不弃

sugarplum892

15 hours ago, biancardi said:

@taeunfighting I agree with you.  Based on their reactions, it seems that they did and  because they had an understanding, it might be permissible. 

However, what I found hard to understand, is that with Chen Yu's status, that his dalliance with a woman who is from a merchant class would be acceptable.  I would have thought his marriage would have been arranged for quite some time so it was a bit of a shock to see him jump right into a romance like that.  I know, I know - its a fantasy romance.  Poor girl meets rich heir apparent and all that :lol:

@biancardi Phew...I really thought I was alone and delusional on this one.

If it was reality, I think you are exactly right that their difference in status would have been definitely questioned and CY's marriage would have already been arranged either by his father or the emperor, but like you acknowledged, this is fantasy/drama la la land. CY does not desire to pursue the throne nor does he want his prince status, but instead, he wants to give it up all up to live a carefree life in the woods with a girl who was once thought to be his "sister". Imagine this happening in real life (haha). Definitely makes a great story that I am totally falling for.

15 hours ago, shihuangdi said:

I also think they did sleep together because they were in their undergarment. And also CY refers to HBQ as furen ever since that episode. I think they did it. 

@shihuangdi I agree with you too about the undergarments being a give-away. Love how CY constantly refers to BQ as his fu ren.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, biancardi said:

@taeunfighting I agree with you.  Based on their reactions, it seems that they did and  because they had an understanding, it might be permissible. 

However, what I found hard to understand, is that with Chen Yu's status, that his dalliance with a woman who is from a merchant class would be acceptable.  I would have thought his marriage would have been arranged for quite some time so it was a bit of a shock to see him jump right into a romance like that.  I know, I know - its a fantasy romance.  Poor girl meets rich heir apparent and all that :lol:

In one of the convo between CY and his father,  he said the reason that he had not arrange a marriage for CY because he didn't want him to be trapped in the capital or in the same situation as he. As for the prince  and merchant, this is fantasy :) 

And finally, recaps for Episode 45!

Spoiler

As BJF and his mean approach, CY gives the order for his men to protect BQ’s grandfather.   He then steps forward to attack but is stop by BJF giving the order for the gates to come crashing down.  They’re trapped!  BJF steps forward and says if CY thought to capture him, it won’t be that easy.  He then tells CY to behave and follow him for a visit with the emperor. 

CY kneels before the emperor who reminds CY that he was tasked to look for Biluotian; yet, he instead ran away with BQ and broke into the prison.  The emperor says he should know he’s guilty, and CY agrees.  Seeing that CY has admitted to his guilt, the emperor tells him that so long as he turns over the “things,” he’ll let him go.  CY asks him, “Things?” and pretends to not know what the emperor is asking of him.  The emperor doesn’t believe CY and asks why he’s hidden that traitor and Biluotian priestess, Hua Bu Qi, if CY really doesn’t know what he’s talking about.  CY hurriedly explains that when he found BQ, she’d just returned to the Zhu Manor and was being pressured by DFS.  She was clearly innocent and didn’t know what was going on between the two families and feeling bad, he took her away.  He says he knows he was wrong but begs the emperor’s forgiveness for that, and then adds that as for the other things that the emperor is asking after, he really has no idea what that’s about.  He even goes so far as to ask the emperor how BQ could be the Biluotian priestess.  The emperor responds that his “beloved imperial concubine” (GAGS) has already told him that CY knew BQ wasn’t his father’s biological daughter.  Therefore, he questions whether CY really didn’t know BQ’s real background.  CY says he really didn’t know and when the emperor presses him about the Biluotian map and sphere, he again says he’s never heard of either of those things.  The emperor laughs, finding it amazing that no matter what he asks, CY’s response is that he doesn’t know.  He steps down from his throne and walking towards CY asks, “Fine, let me ask you one more thing.  How were you so sure that someone would come and rescue you from the prison cart such that you even borrowed an army?”   The emperor comments on how he’d sent Ah Fu to find Biluotian, but he doesn’t even know whether Ah Fu is dead or alive.  He suspects that the Biluotian-related things are in CY’s hands and asks CY if the reason he’s not turning it over is because he too hopes to find the treasure and then use it to overthrow him.  CY says he wouldn’t dare and points out that if he really did have what the emperor was looking for, he would know that coming back would mean his death; therefore, why would he return?  He says if the emperor doesn’t believe him, then he can immediately relieve him of his life.   The emperor pulls out a dagger and, taking CY up on his offer, plunges it into his left shoulder area (where the chest/shoulder meets).  CY thanks the emperor for his actions and says that with his death, he’ll be able to prove his and his father’s innocence.  The emperor warns that if he pushes his dagger just a little bit more, then CY will die for sure – and so he pushes it in a little bit more.  CY takes it and says that his life is not important.  What’s important is his and father’s innocence, as well as the emperor’s ability to see his sincerity.  At that, the emperor pulls out his dagger, CY slumps to the floor, and the emperor calls for a doctor.

CY lies in bed and is being seen by all the doctors in the royal land.  The emperor paces off to the side and when the doctors approach, I can’t help but notice that he asks them how “Yu Er” is doing.  (The emperor, like the Seventh Prince, had always referred to CY by this affectionate version of his name, but more recently, such as in the scene we just saw, the emperor had been referring to him as “Chen Yu.”)  The doctor reports that CY is in a critical condition because of his shoulder injury, noting that he’s lost a lot of blood.  As he starts to say that, “He’s afraid…” the emperor interrupts and yells back, “Afraid of what?”  (I mean, was he expecting the doctor to say anything different after he plunged the dagger in as deeply as he did?)  The doctors fall to the floor and the emperor warns them that if they don’t make CY better, they can all follow him to death.  He then tells them to bring whatever medicine they may have in the palace to treat CY because the most important thing is that CY live. (Maybe he should’ve thought about that 15 minutes ago.  Just saying.)  After the doctors leave, the emperor walks back to CY and looks in on him. 

Back in the throne room, Mr. Traitor Traitor Pants is reminding the emperor of all of CY’s misdeeds and says he can’t believe the emperor is actually doing everything he can to treat CY.  As he tells the emperor not to be so soft-hearted, the emperor finally turns around and asks, “What are you trying to say?”  That’s when BJF suggests that if the emperor can’t bear to kill CY, then he should at least get rid of his martial arts abilities.  After a few seconds pause, the emperor says he heard BJF and “Yu Er” grew up together.  When BJF confirms it, the emperor says that based on what he just heard it seems to him that BJF has a personal grudge against CY.  BJF falls to his knees and says he wouldn’t dare.  Instead, he says he’s concerned on the emperor’s behalf – and then he goes on a long ramble to explain himself.  (Does this guy ever not ramble???)  When he finishes, the emperor says to him, “Based on what you’ve just said, are you saying then that I’ve accused you wrongly?”  BJF again drops down into a bow as he answers that he wouldn’t dare.  The emperor eventually tells him to stand and also gives him permission to do as he suggested. 

BQ and Xiao Liu enter their cabin after having after coming in from outside where it looks like they were picking vegetable and fetching water.  BQ comments on how CY’s been gone for a while now and although he sent word back initially, it’s been several days since they’ve heard anything.  She asks Xiao Liu who this friend is that CY went to visit, but Xiao Liu responds that if his master didn’t share that information with her then he’s even less likely to know.  BQ continues by commenting that she also hasn’t heard any word about her grandfather.  At the time of CY’s departure, it was said that her grandfather would be arriving soon, but CY’s been gone for a while now and her grandfather still hasn’t arrived.  That’s when it occurs to her and she asks Xiao Liu if something happened to her grandfather.   

Xiao Liu tells her to stop guessing at random and then tells her he had actually received word just the day before that her grandfather caught a little cold during their travels, which slowed them down, but they’ll soon be with them.  BQ thinks about what Xiao Liu just said and it doesn’t looks like she quite believes him.  She asks Xiao Liu if he’s lying to her and when says he wouldn’t dare, she asks to see the letter.  Xiao Liu tells her he already burned the letter because he’s very careful with everything that he does, but BQ thinks he must be lying to her and demands the truth.  After he insists that nothing is going on, BQ offers to go find out the truth for herself.  When Xiao Liu points out that she can’t go out when so many people are looking for her, she tells him that he’d better explain everything then because her knowing the truth has to be better than her slinking out at night to try and figure out the truth for herself, such that he then has to go looking for her.  At that, Xiao Liu capitulates but he makes her promise that she won’t go anywhere. 

BQ is shocked to learn that her grandfather really was captured by the emperor and that CY went to save him.  Xiao Liu tries to comfort her by pointing out that CY’s martial arts skills are really good, but BQ finds it worrisome that they haven’t heard any new for days.  She wonders if that means CY has also run into trouble and insists on going to the capitol to find him.  Xiao Liu reminds her that she just promised to stay where she was and wait, but BQ says there’s no way she can do that when she’s worried sick for CY and her grandfather.  Xiao Liu begs her to not make things difficult for him and so she finally agrees.  But the minute his back is turned, she locks him in the cabin and tells him that she’s worried about CY.  She asks him to wait for her while she goes out to see if can find out any information about him. 

At the palace, CY is sitting up in bed when the emperor’s eunuch arrives with medicine sent directly by the emperor himself.  As the eunuch speaks, the maids start to burn incense.  CY asks him what kind of incense this is, and the eunuch answers that it’s a restorative sort of incense.  (Show of hands here if you think the incense will actually end up doing the opposite!)  The impression I get from CY’s look is that he doesn’t quite believe the eunuch either, but he asks the eunuch anyway to pass on word to the emperor that when he’s better, he’ll visit him to express his gratitude.  The eunuch answers that the emperor has said, because they are blood relatives, he wants to see CY get better.  CY then asks the eunuch to ask the emperor if he’d be willing to let Yuan Chong visit in order to bring some of his family’s wine medicine, which is known to helpful.  As the eunuch leaves, CY thinks to himself that the emperor still doesn’t trust him and that it looks like until he gets the “things” he won’t kill him. 

Back in the throne room, the emperor and his eunuch discuss CY’s request.  The emperor ultimately agrees to allow YC to deliver his family’s medicine, but he instructs the eunuch to make sure they’re kept under surveillance.

We see a man wandering through a forest.  In the distance, another man is waiting for him.  It turns out YC has invited BJF to meet him out in the woods, and the minute BJF arrives, YC starts chewing him out. He asks BJF what’s going on and how CY could’ve been accused of treason.  He points out with the three of them having grown up together, BJF should know what CY’s like, and asks BJF why he didn’t try and say a few words on CY’s behalf in front of the emperor.  BJF asks how YC doesn’t know he didn’t plead on CY’s behalf and as YC stares at him, he tries to explain his way out of things by saying that the emperor is so mad right now, there’s nothing he could say that would make a difference.  He then recommends to YC that he not get involved.  But YC just asks again what’s going on as the emperor can’t be mad without a reason.  Plus, he knows BJF was directly involved.  He then asks if BJF really does have proof that CY tried to commit treason, and then says that even if BJF does have such proof, he’s certain that it must be fake.  (I love YC!)  It’s around this time that someone comes running for YC with the message that the emperor has ordered him to deliver his family’s wine medicine to CY in the palace.  As YC glares at BJF, the latter tells the former not to glare at him, as it was CY who asked for him and so he best hurry to go do the emperor’s bidding.  He then says that if there’s anything he doesn’t know, he should go ask CY.  After YC leaves, BJF wonders to himself what CY is planning on doing with the wine medicine. 

Back in the palace, CY is sitting up in bed coughing when the emperor’s eunuch delivers YC to CY’s quarters with his family’s wine medicine.  The eunuch makes a point of saying that the emperor knows they’re old friends who haven’t seen each other for a while, so they’ve been instructed to allow the men room to chat freely.  After the eunuch leaves, YC rushes over to ask CY what’s going on and how he got injured.  At the door, the eunuch listens in.  As YC continues his very loud questions by asking how CY was turned into a traitor, CY rushes to shut him up.  CY knows the eunuch is listening in and motions with his head for YC to be quiet.  YC catches on quickly and turns his conversation back to germane matters, such as his family’s wine medicine.  In a whisper though, he asks CY what’s going on.  CY tells him that the emperor found out about his LYK persona.  When YC asks him how the emperor found out about that, CY says it was BJF.  That has YC standing up as he loudly exclaims, “Jian Fei?!”  The eunuch is still listening – and omg, it is so obvious given that you can see his shadow through the paper walls –so CY hurries to shush is friend again.  He then tells YC that originally he hadn’t wanted to say anything, given how the three of them were such close friends, but now, BJF is no longer the person they once knew.  For YC’s own sake, CY wanted him to know.  He tells YC that he doesn’t want BJF using him again.  CY also tells him not to be too upset over their friend’s betrayal.  YC deals with the moment and then asks CY is there’s anything he can help with.  CY tells him that with him having been gone for so long, he’s afraid BQ will be worried and put herself in danger trying to find him.  He asks YC to watch over her and of course, YC being a real friend, says he will.  He then takes his leave explaining to the eunuch that with CY in still poor health, he doesn’t want to keep him up too long. 

As YC leaves, CY has a conversation with himself in his head.  He thanks YC for bringing the wine medicine and, if I understand him correctly, it sounds like because of the experiences he’s had as LYK he’s saying he knows how to get rid of the poison, which I assume the wine medicine is a part of. 

Outside the palace, YC waits for BJF.  When BJF sees him and walks over, YC clocks him one and confronts him about selling out CY after the three of them grew up together like real brothers.  (Oh no, YC!  Don’t put yourself in danger too!)  At that, BJF laughs as he repeats, “Like real brothers.”  And then he starts comparing his parentage against those of CY’s and YC’s, and aha, I think we have finally arrived at His Traitorness’s real problem.  It sounds like he has an inferiority complex based on his family not being as highly elevated as the others.  He also accuses the other two of never having really treated him with genuine feelings.  With every word, YC only gets more upset because he knows CY has always had the sincerest regard for his friends.  But BJF asks, if that was the case, then why did CY hide his LYK persona from him and block him from knowing anything.  YC doesn’t have a good answer for that (omg, YC, remember when CY says he didn’t want to stick BJF in an awkward position and so he was hiding the truth out of consideration for him???) but says even if that was the case, that was still not a reason to sell out his friend.  There’s really no reasoning with BJF though and the conversation basically ends with the end of their friendship as well.  Interestingly, it’s BJF who calls an end to their friendship and it’s YC who calls out to him, “You’d better not regret it!”  But BJF responds that he won’t regret it, because this was the path he chose. 

QW is getting dressed with assistance from her cavalry of maids when a servant runs up to her, urgently calling out for Niang Niang. It’s Ping Er –you guys remember, the servant that was with her when she was at Ming Yue Shan.  I think the last time we saw Ping Er, QW had sent her to trail after Xiao Xia after she and BQ split up, and QW went to kidnap BQ to take her to the brothel.  Anyway, it sounds like QW persuaded the emperor to send someone to find Ping Er and bring her to the palace.  She scolds Ping Er though for her urgent behavior and reminds her that the palace is different compared to Ming Yue Shan.  It sounds like she wants her maid to be more refined.  (How awesome would it be if Ping Er kept getting scolded to the point that she turned her back on QW?)  Ping Er apologizes and says she was only calling out as she did because she had important information to share. QW sends the other maids away and Ping Er tells her that CY was injured.  QW reacts with shock, like she’s hurting to hear this information, and dude.  You already sold yourself to the emperor.  Get over CY!  QW lays the blame for CY’s injuries on BQ and asks if she’s been captured yet.  Ping Er answers no.  She then asks how serious CY’s injury is, but Ping Er says she hasn’t been able to find that out and only knows that medicine is delivered to him daily so it’s probably not a small injury.  QW starts to fret and says she has to visit him, but Ping Er stops her from going and points out that given her current status, this is not a good idea.  QW says she’s too worried to think about things like that and again starts to leave to see CY, but Ping Er throws herself in her path.  She recommends that if QW insists on seeing CY, she at least wait until nighttime to sneak into his quarters.  (Oh, I foresee this going well…)

It’s night time and QW and Ping Er are creeping around the palace hallways on their way to visit CY.  Ping Er purposely creates a distraction, which allows QW to sneak past guards and enter CY’s quarters.  He’s sitting up in a chair and drinking tea when he spots her.  He asks in surprise why she’s there.  She asks after his injuries and after he answers that he’s doing much better, he asks her again what she’s doing in the palace.  She hesitates over how to answer and then tells him that after that day when BQ injured her, she was rescued by BJF, who in turn gave her to the emperor, and so she’s become the emperor’s concubine.  CY is shocked to hear this and comments that he can’t believe she’s become an imperial concubine.  She rushes to say that if he’s willing, she can give up everything and help him escape from the palace.  He tells her he’s not worth her taking such risks, but she says that’s not up to him to decide.   She then gets down on her knees and tells him that so long as he’s willing to give up BQ and be with her, she can help him.  She puts her hand on his lap, and he quickly moves his own hand out of the way.  He then stands and says that he’s grateful for her willing to help him, but it’s because of that that he can’t lie to her or use her.  He tells her that in his heart, there is only BQ.  QW wants to know what’s so great about BQ and why she can’t compare to BQ.  He answers that he doesn’t know how he became so deeply attached, he only knows she the only one for him.  He then tells her that actually, it’s not so bad for her to be the emperor’s concubine.  This way she doesn’t have to go around fighting and killing people and can live an easier life.  QW disagrees, and says she doesn’t think things are better for her now.  She tells him that she never wanted to be a concubine (really?  Could’ve fooled me the way you were flirting with the emperor) and reminds him that in her heart, there was only ever him.  That has him remaindering her that the emperor is the highest in the land, and right now, he’s just a prisoner. 

After QW more or less confirms that CY is not willing to leave with her because he’ll do everything he can to protect BQ, she smirks and says it’s unfortunate then that the emperor already knows BQ is the BIluotian priestess.  That means if BQ tries to come and save him, that means she’ll be walking on her own path towards death.  CY asks her how she knows of BQ being the Biluotian priestess and guesses that she was the one who told the emperor.  QW admits telling the emperor about BQ after guessing that she was the priestess.  She also admits that she did it out of revenge because she hates BQ.  As CY reacts in anger, he’s held up by the pain in his shoulder injury.  She turns around and asks if he’s mad.  She thinks it’s great if he is.  She encourages him to call for the guards so that they’ll find she stole into his room at nighttime.  She says this way, they’ll both be killed and can, at least, be together in death.  I swear, QW’s gone crazy.  Meanwhile, CY really does call for the guards, but he also pushes her away to hide behind the screened door.  When the guards enter, he asks one of them to send for the doctor because his injury is hurting and asks the other to help him back to his bed.  QW has no choice but to escape and leave.

Back in her own quarters, QW speculates with Ping Er that the fact the emperor hasn’t been able to capture BQ must be because CY’s hidden her some place.  She wonders what the probability of BQ coming to the capitol is if she were to learn of CY’s capture.  Ping Er guesses that it’s got to be low if she’s being purposely kept away, and QW responds by hinting that she’s going to test the depth of BQ’s love for CY.  Ping Er what she’s thinking about and QW just walks over to a plant where she rips off one of its leaves and crushes it in her hands.

In the throne room, the emperor is having his own temper tantrum.  He reads a little booklet and then throws it to the floor.  QW arrives to pick it up for him.  He asks her why she’s there and sucks up to him by saying that with all his responsibilities, she’s there to make sure he is still taking care of himself.  As she starts to give him a shoulder massage, she asks if he’ll share his troubles with her as she’d be glad to talk things out with him.  It turns out, though, that what’s troubling him is connected to her.  He explains that after she entered the palace, he issued a nationwide decree to locate the Mysterious Man and DFS.  He’s frustrated that even after all this time, they still haven’t been located.  He thinks there are two possibilities: 1) they’ve hidden themselves away in a place no one can find, or 2) they’ve strengthened their power to the point that guardsmen are now working for them and keeping them hidden.  After listening to the emperor, QW tells him that she thinks he’s overthinking matters.  When he asks her to explain, she reminds him of the Biluotian prophecy.  She says that in her opinion, all they have to do is get their hands on the Biluotian treasure and then it won’t matter how powerful the other party has become as it’ll never match the power of Biluotian.  The emperor laughs, finding her cute.  He calls her innocent.  (I’ll pause a minute here why we all laugh.)  He says that actually, he’s never believed that there was some treasure that would give a person the entire world.  Things just don’t come that easily.  He is, however concerned that there are others who manipulate the prophecy for their own uses.  QW laughs and says that no matter what, finding the Biluotian treasure can’t be a bad thing.  The emperor laments that so far, he’s only caught BQ’s grandfather and CY, but BQ’s still missing.  That’s when QW tells him that she has an idea for how to capture BQ.  Her idea is basically for the emperor to send out word that if BQ doesn’t make an appearance within a month, CY and her grandfather will be beheaded.  And the emperor called her innocent . . . now he thinks she’s brilliant!  The person who just a little while ago was pledging herself to CY is now telling the emperor that so long as she can do things for him, she’s satisfied.  *rolls eyes*

The Mysterious Man is walking amongst his army and I presume overseeing their battle preparations when someone runs up to him to tell him about the emperor’s latest decree (which is the just discussed idea of QW’s).  The Mysterious Man guesses that the fact that the emperor is eager to get his hands on BQ must mean that he knows she is the priestess.  He then says it won’t be easy for the emperor to get to BQ and issues his own order for BQ to be captured.  This gets overheard by DFS who makes his own plan to go find her.  He’s stopped at the door by his grandfather who asks him why he always seems to lose his head when it comes to BQ.  DFS says it’s because he loves her and doesn’t want to see her die.  His grandfather reminds him that they’re at a critical moment right now with the battle just about to start.  He can’t throw that all away just because of love.  DFS responds that if the emperor captures BQ, he’ll unhesitatingly go into battle.  His grandfather responds, however, that if the emperor captures BQ, his first step should be to secure his position at BIluotian.  That way even if the emperor got his hands on the priestess and the other Biluotian things, at the very least, he wouldn’t be able to gain access to Biluotian.  The Mysterious Man points out that so long as the emperor can’t get into Biluotian, BQ will be safe. 

In a city somewhere, wanted signs of BQ are posted along the street.  BQ muses over the emperor’s decree that she’s obviously learned about and thinks to herself that she has to find a way to meet the emperor in order to save CY and her grandfather.  With only determination on her mind, she steps up to one of the wanted signs and announces that she’s Zhu Zhu from Zhu Manor and wants to meet with the emperor.  The crowd quickly disburses and guards rush in.  After BQ’s taken away, the crowd reconvenes to discuss what they just saw and it’s at this moment that we see Mo Ruo Fei walking through the streets with his right hand man. 

Farther away, where BQ and the guards are, a bunch of men rush in to block their path.  It’s the Mysterious Man’s people.  A battle breaks out and BQ’s arm get slice in the process, causing her to fall and roll away.  When she realizes the two sides are too busy fighting to notice her, she hurries to run away.  That’s when MRF notices her in the distance and he and his man rush to get back on their horses.

BQ is running through the forest.  She pauses to check out and bandage the injury on her arm and then she unpacks her bag to take out other clothes.  Meanwhile, the Mysterious Man’s men are now in the forest as well and searching for her on horseback.  They pass BQ at one point, but they don’t realize it because she’s changed her outer garments and covered her head.  Just as she thinks she’s made it through though, one of the men turns back and orders her to stop.  He gets off his horse and walks over.  Just as he pulls off her head covering and says, “It’s you,” an arrow lands in his chest, followed by the others.  BQ runs away and screams when a hand reaches out to grab her by the arm.  It’s MRF. 

As they walk back to where MRF’s right hand man (Jian Sheng) is waiting, MRF tells BQ that he finally found her.  She asks them why they’re there, and MRF explains that he went to Suzhou to find her but found that Zhu Manor had already disbursed.  Shortly thereafter, he heard about the emperor’s decree and then a few days ago, overheard from some guards that she was in the area.  Based on that information, he had been coming the surrounding areas looking for her.  BQ thanks him for saving her life and MRF responds by telling her that she can’t go to the capitol.  He points out that if she goes, she’s basically asking for an early death.  BQ responds by asking him, “If the emperor captured your mother, wouldn’t you go and save her?”  Since he can’t deny that, MRF changes his tune and offers to go to the capitol with her.  He says it’s too dangerous for her to go by herself.  BQ says it’s fine, she can go by herself, and when MRF insists again that he be allowed to accompany her, she finally says to him, “You know what your mother did to me that day, right?  Even though you just saved me, to tell you the truth, I still don’t know how to face you.”  She then also points out that right now, she’s a wanted person and if he helps her, then Mo Manor will be implicated as well.  MRF responds by saying that it’s because he knows what his mom did, including to her mother, that he knows even if spent a lifetime trying, he’d never be able to repay her, but he nevertheless hopes that she’ll give at least the opportunity to try and atone for his mother’s sins.   

Episode ends.

I think it's rather too late to be talking about narrative realism at this stage. ;) Right from the get go there hasn't been much that's realistic about the drama. Right from the hidden treasure, the birth secret right up to the Zorro inspired duke... it's a lovely mishmash of familiar tropes and mythologies... and there's a certain magic as to how the show brings it all together.

The show does a really good job of juggling all the moving parts. But what I really like about it is the consistency in characterization and quality in storytelling. The leads are allowed to be leads and actually allowed to romance each other despite dodging swords, arrows and outrageous fortune. That's very rare in C dramas in my experience. Of course it's not historically accurate but do we really care? :D I consider it a breath of fresh air after having to watch so much push and pull in other dramas or endure tediously long periods of separation. For the most part it is consistent with the somewhat lighter comedic vibe. 

The part I find realistic is how people in all their shapes and sizes are developed. People in this show, for the most part, act fairly consistently. Even if they are nutjobs... they are consistently nutty. There's not a lot that can be done about the likes of LQW... She's utterly clueless. Only death, it feels to me, can stop her in her tracks. ;) Now that would be realistic. I heard a rumour that lots of deaths are on the card. Well, at the rate things are going... I can't say I'm surprised. So many ambitious people fighting it out... casualties are bound to ensue. Can't blame the OTP if people don't really know who the real villains are. The Emperor isn't a really good leader and I've sensed it from the beginning. Undoubtedly he's cunning. He's good at manipulating people with fear. And he exudes a paranoia that shows a lack of confidence. An iron fist hides under a velvet glove. The way he treated his brother clued me in on his personality and the way he makes the people around him walk on glass.

The best part of the whole deal is the OTP. They are rock solid. They have a history and the show is still building on it at every crucial juncture. Even when they bicker and go a bit jelly... the early history they have together is the glue. There's nothing they won't do for one another. He knows it, she knows it. The show's pretty clever about it because even the people around them find it unbelievable that they're inseparable and won't succumb to temptation.

6 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

@biancardi Phew...I really thought I was alone and delusional on this one.

If it was reality, I think you are exactly right that their difference in status would have been definitely questioned and CY's marriage would have already been arranged either by his father or the emperor, but like you acknowledged, this is fantasy/drama la la land. CY does not desire to pursue the throne nor does he want his prince status, but instead, he wants to give it up all up to live a carefree life in the woods with a girl who was once thought to be his "sister". Imagine this happening in real life (haha). Definitely makes a great story that I am totally falling for.

@shihuangdi I agree with you too about the undergarments being a give-away. Love how CY constantly refers to BQ as his fu ren.

@taeunfighting Yeah, I know :D I guess coming off of Ming Lan, my snarky side was winning out when I was watching the first few episodes.  I wasn't COMPLAINING, despite what others might say, I was just adding in a random thought.   I still love to mock and poke fun at  the   tropes and some of the plot holes that you can drive a car thru, but I do understand it is a fantasy!!    

I guess I am a different viewer from most here, as I like the drama part of it much better than the romance, and without the heavy lifting from the "villains", I would have lost interest in this story other than watching Bin Bin's handsome face.   I love the conflict story better than the kisses, as its a CDrama and I know that actual on-screen passion will not occur (haha)  

@40somethingahjumma 

lolz at Zorro inspired duke! I feel the same.

I hesitate even though I am tempted to start on some c-dramas precisely bcos their storylines leave too much to be desired. I usually end up dropping them despite my liking for the OTP or cringing through the episodes because of my liking for the OTP. 

This one...I made it through 42 eps. Dear me. I surprised myself. The OTP is way too adorable and the storyline, while not the most believable, is rather well developed and put together.  I like that they managed to juggle all the characters well while entangling them in a web that I actually want to understand. Though there are far too many characters freely taking turns to capture, rescue, lie, cheat, steal, so much that I can correctly guess their next moves, the drama isn’t stumbling upon itself in the name of entertainment.

This reignited some hope in me for c-dramas.

Unlike in some alternate Universe that drove me to the edge where I willing jumped off bidding farewell to a certain sheep. 

4 hours ago, biancardi said:

@taeunfighting Yeah, I know :D I guess coming off of Ming Lan, my snarky side was winning out when I was watching the first few episodes.  I wasn't COMPLAINING, despite what others might say, I was just adding in a random thought.   I still love to mock and poke fun at  the   tropes and some of the plot holes that you can drive a car thru, but I do understand it is a fantasy!!    

I guess I am a different viewer from most here, as I like the drama part of it much better than the romance, and without the heavy lifting from the "villains", I would have lost interest in this story other than watching Bin Bin's handsome face.   I love the conflict story better than the kisses, as its a CDrama and I know that actual on-screen passion will not occur (haha)  

@biancardi Haha, I think you are fine. Why does it matter if and when random thoughts are discussed? One of the best parts about watching dramas is like you said to be able to poke at its gaps and logical inconsistencies. My mom and I have a love for dramas, but we have different tastes. If we happen to be watching the same one, we note and laugh about the plot holes all the time and it's fun.

I do get a sense that you are a different viewer than the norm, but it's a good thing because it brings a different perspective of the drama that gets overlooked or overshadowed because of the heavy focus on just the romance. I am here for both the drama and the romance. If it was just the romance or just Vin's face, as cute as he is, I would not have continued watching lol.

1 hour ago, achng said:

@ck1Oz  Xiao Xia and her romance will end in Episode 48

Hide contents

http://t.cn/Efuf2Or

I think this will be the start of the major character deaths...

that is interesting.... that scene ..

Spoiler

we have DFS "saving" xiaoxia and bringing her back to camp & BQ and Lang look to be spying on DFS.  It looks like there are 3 sides warring here - the emperor, MM/DFS and BQ/CY.    I think DFS will join forces with BQ/CY, if those other sneak peeks are true.

xiaoxia looks to still be alive here.  I don't understand Mandarin, so I don't know what they are all saying.

29 minutes ago, biancardi said:

that is interesting.... that scene ..

Hide contents

we have DFS "saving" xiaoxia and bringing her back to camp & BQ and Lang look to be spying on DFS.  It looks like there are 3 sides warring here - the emperor, MM/DFS and BQ/CY.    I think DFS will join forces with BQ/CY, if those other sneak peeks are true.

xiaoxia looks to still be alive here.  I don't understand Mandarin, so I don't know what they are all saying.

:)Okay here's a quick summary:

Spoiler

DFS "saved" XX and brought her back to camp.  YL snuck in to help BQ escape because she was being held hostage by DFS (who was trying to keep her away from both the emperor and his grandfather), but when BQ saw XX injured she ditched YL and rushed back to see what's going on.  XX's injuries are too serious and she asks if she can see YC one last time

Watched today's episodes and watched some previews... don't even feel like sharing them anymore cos it's so depressing. 

Spoiler

I know I shouldn't keep comparing the novel to the show, but the previous parts were so similar that it gave me hope for a similar ending. 

Currently the show's ending looks terrible. I'll most probably finish watching this since I'm already at this stage and I think the actors are doing a great job despite the unnecessarily bloody plot. I get why some deaths might be necessary to move the plot, but currently they just look excessive and useless. I hate sad endings.

Maybe I should just treat episode 44/45 as the happy ending.

5 minutes ago, vtxy said:

Watched today's episodes and watched some previews... don't even feel like sharing them anymore cos it's so depressing. 

Reveal hidden contents

I know I shouldn't keep comparing the novel to the show, but the previous parts were so similar that it gave me hope for a similar ending. 

Currently the show's ending looks terrible. I'll most probably finish watching this since I'm already at this stage and I think the actors are doing a great job despite the unnecessarily bloody plot. I get why some deaths might be necessary to move the plot, but currently they just look excessive and useless. I hate sad endings.

Maybe I should just treat episode 44/45 as the happy ending.

Just watched the raw episodes for today and I don't see happy, too. The ending seems like it'll be rush.

@themarchioness Thank you for the recaps.

1 hour ago, turtle0217 said:

Just watched the raw episodes for today and I don't see happy, too. The ending seems like it'll be rush.

@themarchioness Thank you for the recaps.

When I first started watching this series, I thought to myself that this series is almost an homage to older CDramas - where

Spoiler

the series starts out pretty light hearted, looks like a rom-com, lots of bickering before the leads finally pair off, then the mystery/drama and the ending is pretty bloody, lots of people, good & bad, die and the main leads don't have a happy ending (one dies or they are separated)

For comparison, I keep thinking of Young Sherlock, which had such a horrible ending - the 2nd lead couple had such a crappy ending and it was totally bogus.  And the ending was rushed like crazy.   

33 minutes ago, biancardi said:

When I first started watching this series, I thought to myself that this series is almost an homage to older CDramas - where

Reveal hidden contents

the series starts out pretty light hearted, looks like a rom-com, lots of bickering before the leads finally pair off, then the mystery/drama and the ending is pretty bloody, lots of people, good & bad, die and the main leads don't have a happy ending (one dies or they are separated)

For comparison, I keep thinking of Young Sherlock, which had such a horrible ending - the 2nd lead couple had such a crappy ending and it was totally bogus.  And the ending was rushed like crazy.   

Well, I still have hope that there will be a turning point for this drama to turn out good. Let's see how it turns out.

I'm lost. I think I skipped a part. Who is DFS's father? Is it that white long hair bad guy? 

WOW, this thread has been very active lately but not me! Lol... I’m so late, I mean I’m just done watching episode 44 lol wtf... rip! Real life catching me and I have no fking time... everytime I’m starting to watch and then I fell asleep lol. ANYWAYS, all the scenes of CY and BQ in episode 44 are so sweet as fk. They look like a married couple omg love that. And finally, we got that scene when omgggggg CY saying “you’re playing with fire” hahahaha omggggg my heart hahahaha! Pls make babies already hahahahaha. Ok, back to the drama! Gogo episode 45 hihi.

30 minutes ago, turtle0217 said:

Well, I still have hope that there will be a turning point for this drama to turn out good. Let's see how it turns out.

I'm lost. I think I skipped a part. Who is DFS's father? Is it that white long hair bad guy? 

the MM is DFS grandfather

i am only on epi 41 so if there is another grey haired man, then i haven’t seen him.  

1 hour ago, turtle0217 said:

As @biancardi mentioned, the white long hair bad guy is the Mysterious Man, his grandfather.  In recent conversations between MM and DFS, his grandfather has made comments about how DFS can't just give up everything over a woman and tells him to think of his parents.  From the way MM talks about DFS's parents, my impressions is that they are both are deceased and don't really factor into the story.

@achng thanks for the tag, Man that kinda sucked.  Yes I umderstand Mandarin.  I am at ep 33. And having  read the recaps  might go into a holding pattern. Until I see if the OTP lives.  

Ergh is a happy ending taboo in a Cdrama?

And QW in an Empress robe is a turn off. Isn't  he married at his age? She should  be a minor consort or something. 

I still think this will have a happy ending. The drama has been pretty consistent in giving us somewhat of a comedic vibe and it does a really good job of balancing the serious with the playful banter that we seen between all the characters. So it would be such a buzz kill if it ends on a really serious note where the OTP don’t even up together.

5 hours ago, themarchioness said:

As @biancardi mentioned, the white long hair bad guy is the Mysterious Man, his grandfather.  In recent conversations between MM and DFS, his grandfather has made comments about how DFS can't just give up everything over a woman and tells him to think of his parents.  From the way MM talks about DFS's parents, my impressions is that they are both are deceased and don't really factor into the story.

I’ve not watched the latest episodes so I don’t know if it was explained further but what I’ve figured out so far is ...

Spoiler

DFS’s Father is Prince Cheng (Cheng Wang), Brother? of the current Emperor. He was exiled for something, maybe fighting for the throne. While in exile, he met the Mother of DFS, who is the Daughter of Mysterious Man, leader of Ghost Valley (Gui Gu). After his parents were killed, DFS was brought up by his Grandfather, Who told him that his mother’s dying wish for him was to fight for his right to be the Emperor. So together with his Grandfather, they have been secretly training an army to stage a revolt. Ming Yue Shan Zhuang was one of the instruments to earn money, their eyes and ears in the capital and gather support for their cause. MM believes that the Biluotian treasure will greatly enhance their success but DFS wants to do it without the help of BLT as he doesn’t want to sacrifice BQ. Anyway, MM said DFS can’t marry BQ because he already promised another general to marry their Daughter to DFS in return for their support in the revolt.

I thought this was supposed to be a light hearted romcom but has now evolved into a bloody fight for the throne drama with people dying left and right ...  sigh ...

Archived