[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] I Will Never Let You Go / Legend of Huo Buo 小女花不弃

sugarplum892

I guess for me, to expand on why I find DFS more interesting & compelling than any other character in this series, is because he is neither good or bad.  You aren't sure what side he is going to fall on. His character is ambiguous - like Snape from Harry Potter. Snape was a mean, nasty person to the kids (and that wasn't an act, he really was a mean, nasty person), but his backstory, how he took chances, that he turned out to be on the good side after all - despite what the rest of the wizarding world thought.  Millions of readers LOVED the Snape character - not because he was a shining heroic knight, but because he was mesmerizing.  JK Rowling didn't understand why so many readers loved his character so much.  It was because he was multi-layered.

DFS is like that for me - he is appealing, not just because he has a killer smile with dimples, but his character is complex, multifaceted and quite frankly, who knows which side he will wind up on - I find that the actor is very charismatic as well, so when he is on screen, my  attention goes to him - I love Bin Bin, but his character is so noble and lovely, he isn't as interesting to me (sorry!!) - What I mean is that I know what to expect from him, now that he no longer plays the duo role of CY/LRK with Buqi.  There aren't going to be twists and turns with his character - he doesn't have a redemption arc, as there is nothing for him to be repentant about.  The whole stuff with QW is an act, anyone that thinks CY means it really doesn't understand his character at this point, imho

I also think DFS is the most intelligent of all the characters in this series.  He puts things together much more quickly than other folks do, considering he is basically working alone and has no friends to help him solve problems. 

Yes, his character is bratty, petty, vindictive, manipulative  and not always nice. But I do think he loves Buqi now and he isn't out to sacrifice her.  His desperation to marry her could be two-fold - one, for himself - he wants her (lust happens) and he even said, his life would be boring without her.  two - because he doesn't know that Chen Yu is LRK, he may not feel that CY can protect her the way he can - I think we all can admit that DFS can give the LRK a run for his money when it comes to martial arts.  I honestly think that the man isn't all right in the head, but I also think, based on the fact that he releases those that he catches, he isn't out to kill anyone needlessly.  In fact, he was grossly offended that Buqi  blamed him for the death of the suicide assassin.  

CY wasn't that nice to Buqi either initially - he purposely let her fall in the water, among other things, but he had the backup persona of LRK to be nice to BQ.  DFS doesn't have that type of persona to fall back on  - he seems to have a split personality, where he runs hot and then cold all within a split second - I love how Austin Lin's face can go from smiley dimples to a cold serious stare within a flash.  He is stalkerish, that is for sure and that is creepy beyond belief. 

But just like Snape, I find DFS's character to be highly entertaining and worthwhile.  I feel that DFS probably was just a privileged, spoiled and lonely kid growing up.  He has never had anyone say no to him before - someone that he cares deeply for (and yes, I think he does care for BQ deeply now), and he cannot beat her up or anything.  So, he is using the only tools he knows which are pretty darn anti-social and I do not condone it at all.  I hope for a good redemption arc - one where the others realize what he has done in the end had value.  

Unlike the death of Li Jing in TMoPB, where no one, not one person other than his sister, mourned for his death and only his crabby evil father knew that Li Jing weakened him so that Ye Hua could defeat him.  I still haven't gotten over THAT death.  I don't mind if a character I love dies, so long it has meaning and the main characters appreciate that sacrifice 

I hope this makes some of you understand why DFS is appealing to some of us here.  I don't ship him with BQ, as he is the 2nd male lead, but I wouldn't be unhappy if that did happen.  I do find it ironic about the complaints about DFS's behavior as this is why I don't like modern romantic K-Dramas that much. The lead male is often very abusive and nasty to the lead female and it is really difficult to watch.   Since I know in K-Dramas that the male will then fall madly in love with the female, I have a harder time with those dramas than one like this, where it is inviable that the 2nd male lead will not get the girl.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@40somethingahjumma,  I saw those last week or so (but as they were for eps that were still far off in the future, I didn't want to put too much thought into them at the time ;)).  I assume there will be a reason for everything that's happening in those scenes, but having them in the back of my head was also another reason why I said the other day that I don't think we've touched the surface of who DFS really is.  My mother and I have been speculating over whether there is some royalty in him as well because of these scenes.

10 hours ago, themarchioness said:

New spoilers for this week. Looks like we're in for another exciting week, my friends!!! 

Part 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt-_zkYAHJM/

Part 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt-_8J0gipT/

Reveal hidden contents

Part 1: Looks like the shoulder and side injuries that CY uses to earn sympathy from BQ (as shown in the other spoiler clips we've seen thus far) was inflicted by LMY while the threesome (CY, BQ, DFS) were making their escape from the sand caves.  CY will kick QW out of his house (as we've also seen already).  Ah Fu (the Seventh Prince's right-hand man) and his sister will find close in on finding the route to Biluotian, but the Mysterious Man will also find them and it looks like Ah Fu will have his final battle with that man.  LYK will arrive (and I really hope all those arrows landing in LMY meas this is the last we'll have to see fo her), but it won't be soon enough to save Ah Fu. *tears*  Not gonna lie, I kind of figured Ah Fu was marked from the get go for an early death.  I'm just he didn't die while he and CY were on their separate missions and that, in the end, their paths were able to cross like this in order for the former teacher and his student to say their farewells.  Ah Fu passes over the Biluotian sphere and then kills himself (I'm guessing he was dying from his injuries and this just sped things up).  Someone will tell the Emperor that LYK is by his side, and then Xiao Liu (CY's right hand man) will wake up BQ to tell her that CY has gotten into trouble.  They steal away and then, in the daylight, spy on the place where they believe CY to be locked up.  Next scene is Xiao Xia (yay, they reunited!) asking BQ what to do. BQ tells her to follow, "Bai Jian Fei."  (A new character, I believe, as the name's not ringing any bells.)  And then QW will try to torture BQ when they're in a covered wagon by themselves.  But BQ wakes up and springs one of those wrist arrows at QW before climbing out of the wagon. We don't get to see what happens to QW but, boy, it would be nice if that got rid of her too.  :P 

Part 2: BQ escapes from the covered wagon onto a horse, but then the horse throws her.  A man runs into catch her on his back.  I don't recognize this man, but it looks like she meets with him later and when he pays his address she recognizes some sort of mark on his hand/wrist?  DFS arrives with CY's dead body (I think he says it'd been burned?).   A heartbroken BQ asks him if he knows the full extent of the Biluotian prophecy (I think).  She tells him that since CY is dead, she doesn't want to keep on living either.  DFS says he doesn't believe a word of what she said and stalks off. 

Phew.  I'm not too worried about CY as we know he can't die, but man.  If we could get rid of LMY, at least, that would be fantastic.  I mean she had multiple arrows going through her body.  That's got to be hard to save even with all their weird and amazing healing powers.  QW . . . I have a feeling she'll be able to survive that one small dart/arrow, but it'd be great if we could get her off the screen too.  Just saying.  ;) 

Yup, the producer confirmed that LMY and Ah Fu are both exiting the show next week!

1 hour ago, taeunfighting said:

@40somethingahjumma I read that the drama is a total of 51 episodes - is that not true?

The calendar schedule shows that it's 51 episodes, and the drama's Baidu and Chinese Wikipedia pages reflect the same.

ETA: Guys, I think I may get to work from home on Wednesday.  Is it sad that the reason this excites me the most is that I'll definitely be able to start watching earlier that evening since I won't have to commute home?  And if I'm really lucky, I'll even be able to watch an ep (or parts of one) over lunch!!  LOLOLOL.  (I'm not at all pathetic....just pathetically obsessed! :w00t::lol::w00t::lol:

@40somethingahjumma thanks for the welcome :) Yes I agree with your analysis of CY's character, just because he has other things to take care of doesn't mean that he doesn't love BQ! 

40 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

ETA: Guys, I think I may get to work from home on Wednesday.  Is it sad that the reason this excites me the most is that I'll definitely be able to start watching earlier that evening since I won't have to commute home?  And if I'm really lucky, I'll even be able to watch an ep (or parts of one) over lunch!!  LOLOLOL.  (I'm not at all pathetic....just pathetically obsessed! :w00t::lol::w00t::lol:

Hahaha it's not sad at all! I'm also pathetically obsessed with this show :D

On another note, based on the previews, the next few episodes look like it will be quite similar to the novel. Soooo tempted to write about what will happen but I don't want to spoil everything for you guys too. Can't wait for the episodes to air so we can discuss!

3 minutes ago, vtxy said:

@40somethingahjumma thanks for the welcome :) Yes I agree with your analysis of CY's character, just because he has other things to take care of doesn't mean that he doesn't love BQ! 

Hahaha it's not sad at all! I'm also pathetically obsessed with this show :D

On another note, based on the previews, the next few episodes look like it will be quite similar to the novel. Soooo tempted to write about what will happen but I don't want to spoil everything for you guys too. Can't wait for the episodes to air so we can discuss!

Just wanted to confirm that the novel is available in Chinese only, correct? :) 

LOL @themarchioness I work from home 2x a week (soon I’ll be working from home full time! yay!!) and it always makes me giddy thinking about how I get to watch the RAW eps as soon as they come out. 

You’re not alone in your obsession over this drama. Heck, I don’t even understand the episodes without the subs and yet I still watch the entire thing in RAW just because I cannot wait. 

I don’t know what to feel about the previews. On the one hand I’m so excited to see more of CY and BQ together but on the other hand I also know there’s impending doom and I don’t know if my poor heart can take it. 

@biancardi welcome to the thread! I have to say I enjoyed reading your post about DFS being a multi-layered character. Even though I root for CY and DFS’ scheming annoys me, I also actually appreciate DFS’ character for the same reasons you stated. I just hope he doesn’t do anything irredeemable. 

@vtxy I am tempted to ask you for spoilers because I just want to find out what happens!!! 

44 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

The calendar schedule shows that it's 51 episodes, and the drama's Baidu and Chinese Wikipedia pages reflect the same.

Lol nope not pathetic. I'm working late on Tuesday, so will be up pass my bedtime to watch the next episodes. 

@mouse007, we will be the support group for your "poor heart" and help hold it up!  After all, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need help with mine too . . .

22 minutes ago, luna2nd said:

Lol nope not pathetic. I'm working late on Tuesday, so will be up pass my bedtime to watch the next episodes. 

I appreciate the camaraderie!  We'll be here keeping you company as well!!

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@themarchioness

I caught some previews which covered Episodes 30-42 and there was some stuff re: CY and BQ that made me rather unhappy. Not sure if you've seen those. I hope that there are at least 50 episodes to wrap things up and give us a happily ever after.

Hide contents

Yikes... More angst coming... Guess we should enjoy the sweet scenes while we can now :)

19 minutes ago, roxnilla7 said:

Big spoiler please dont read if not ready 

Hide contents

I think many fans liked Mo Rio Feis character but he turned evil in the end. I read in a comment that he blamed BQ for ruining the Mo Manor

I kinda saw this coming. I knew MRF was going to join the dark side and all, but I thought he was undercover. I can't believe he's blaming the Most Manor on Buqi after knowing everything she went through and how he was the one who brought her into the capital in the first place. I think MRF has already had a tragic background, and psychologically affect in a way where he is obsessed with the idea of wealth and how wealth is importance to survival. 

But I didn't see this coming since I thought MRF, despite his flaws was more compassionate. Anyways, what is the relationship between DFS and CY, I mean we know from the trailer previously that the Mysterious Man takes BQ to the well and DFS and CY chase after him. Is CY near where the wedding takes place?  Is a witnessing the wedding? Was he trying to come stop the wedding? Does DFS know that he has to sacrifice BQ, because it looks like he has genuine feelings for her, and from some of the other trailers DFS seems to know a bit about the Biluotian. Maybe DFS and CY formed a pact. Maybe that's why they faked CY's death too. Who knows.... I just am too impatient for the rest of episodes to come out. 

@taeunfighting

Hahahaha yeah sorry about scaring people... As far as I know there are 51 episodes scheduled so there's more than enough time for them to give us a good ending.

On principle, I'm fine with angst. Some of my favourite parts of the drama are angst-ridden. But I'm hoping that if we have to have separation, it is for a good cause and not Noble Idiocy. 

@themarchioness Well, I wouldn't mind if there's more to DFS than just "the other guy who is comic relief" and it would be fitting if it is somehow tied up with his grandfather's obsession with Bi Luo Tian which seems to be Ancient China's answer to Excalibur or some such thing. Even in his dialogue with LMY, I could sense some gravitas.

Waahhh! This drama is really sooo good. So  many twists and turns.

I don't want noble idiocy from you, CY!! I swear, he's the type to toe the line between country/duty and HBQ!! Ugghhhh!

DFS is still adonkey's behind from my point of view. He still does not deserve HBQ even now that he really cares for HBQ. So many people were detained and harmed because of his obstinacy and pride. Such a bratty toddler!!

I want my happy ending, drama Gods!!

6 hours ago, vtxy said:

@luna2nd Yes sadly I've only been able to find the novel in Chinese so far! 

@mouse007 Hahaha let me know if you really do want some spoilers! 

@vtxy yes I want spoilers!! I’m sure the drama will do some things differently so I still have that to look forward to. Lol you can just PM me if you like so as not to ruin it for the others here. 

@40somethingahjumma yes! Please no noble idiocy. If BQ can figure a way out of every situation she finds herself in, we need CY to have the same attitude. 

Archived