Quantcast
Prettysup

[Drama 2018] Wok of Love (Greasy Melo) 기름진 멜로

Hi, it’s me again! Now that I've recovered my password, I'll be spamming you! lolol (no worries, I won't, just let me get these things out of my system)

Today has been a quiet day at work so I have some time to think about the drama. Here are some thoughts and possible topics of discussion (more than rants)

Despite my current boredom there are moments that I care about this drama, at least enough to try to understand the characters and speculate what the writer might be trying to say or where the story might be going

The triangle took a lot of the focus and it has been tedious and felt repetitive but, I guess the character’s reactions have revealed at least to a certain extent part of their personalities as they have been sort of “put to the test” At the same time, their reactions and the consequences reveal some of what the writer is trying to communicate through them

So, let’s start with the easiest and move on to the most complex or hard to understand, for me

Chilsung, I start with him because to me he is a pretty transparent character. His goals and motivations are simple and to be honest, as the supporting character that he still is, we don’t know that much about him (but we want to know more) From what we’ve learned in the drama Chilsung is super loyal, knows how to work in a team, knows how to be a leader, and is caring and like a father “Godfather” figure for everyone, although his guys don’t seem to listen to him all the time :tongue:

But what does he want? What does he dream and why does he seem so desperate to fall in love and be loved? He fell in love at first sight. To some this may be a trope and a boring one (I’m not a fan of the trope myself) because love at first sight is simply attraction, how can a person “love” someone they don’t know?

But love at first sight also implies, a romantic nature. It implies the person is looking to love and be loved, hence they fall in love with an idealized version of the person (its an infatuation, an attraction that may or may not develop into something deeper) But the thing is, DCS actually fell in love (for real) as soon as she called him Mr Light. That’s when his crush turned into something deeper, for him. This is another trope, where a person who has a bad perception of himself “I’ve been in jail three times. I’m not someone you should like” finds acceptance outside of his circle by a “decent” person, who sees beyond his “badness”. Someone who sees the “good” in him. And this person inspires him to be the best version of himself, etc Chilsung is not a saint, he is not simply a “good guy”. Being good for him is not simple and will continue to be an effort because he has had a life where he probably did very questionable things. So he is a sinner on the mend, making his best effort to lead an honest life. It can’t be easy, and his past will always come back to make his efforts difficult. Notice how he smiles every time anyone tells him he is a good man.

DSW, saw him as something beyond the “boss” and now it will be very difficult for him to let her go in his heart. Since he is very direct and honest (although not hurtful) we know this for a fact because he has spelled it out. That’s the good thing about Chilsung, he never hides anything. I think he has the same dream he dreams for his people “To get married and have kids. Live a peaceful family life”. Such a simple dream and yet, possibly the hardest to achieve for some (Us 4everAlone individuals, understand this poor dude and his unrequited love)

Another thing I read sometimes is that DSW has been clear with him and therefore DCS should not insist. Please, don’t let your prejudice blind you here. We need to admit and remember that DSW was NEVER clear with him up until the second rejection after the kiss, which is when it became quite obvious, the writer decided to end the triangle. Before that; Who was the one who asked DCS “Why did your one-sided love end so soon”? Who asked him for his cell phone number when he was trying to keep their relationship strictly professional? Who kept giggling and winking and calling him Mr Light? She can’t pretend to be innocent because she KNEW from day 1, the gangster was attracted to her! You don’t do that to a guy who has explicitly declared they like you and expect no reaction from him! Who then humiliated him by farting to his face and told him “Don’t like me” but then went and continued winking and smiling at him? Who then said “I don’t not like you, but I like Poong better, but wait for me ahjussi?” It was her her her and 100 times her. So don’t go blaming Chilsung for falling in love. This last time, she was finally clear and Chilsung has not “bothered” her again. He is hurt and figuring things out and will probably need some time to adjust but I don’t imagine him aggressively pursuing her since he never did it before. He has been super respectful of her and yet she keeps acting rude towards him. I felt good and vindicated when Maeng Dal exposed her horrible audio. I felt embarrassed for her and even for poor Chilsung but she deserved this. I wish Chilsung stopped tolerating her rudeness btw. It’s not nice.

Poong, he has gone through a lot and that put him in a state of desperation that made him adopt a very irritating attitude. His arrogance and grumpy nature, came to the forefront as a defense mechanism. But it was mostly a phase. It’s sort of like all these bad things that happened to him brought the worse out of him, and even then he managed to sometimes, get out of his own head and his self-pity and was able to feel compassion and empathy for the noodle guy, Saewo’s mom when she was asking to work at the restaurant, etc After the betrayal he suffered he could easily not trust anyone ever again. Yet, he is already trusting again, forming friendships. I’m one of those who couldn’t stand his yelling but I understood why he was angry like that. That anger is what pushed him to continue living at least at first. The alternative would’ve been a paralyzing depression.  I was particulary bothered when he started yelling at Saewoo especially because she was simply taking it (I don’t like abuse from men or women). I’m glad that dynamic Is over.

Poong is slowly at least progressing. He is still grumpy but his good qualities are surfacing and becoming more obvious. He is slowly but surely embracing his new family. This brings us to the bromance with CS which is in my opinion, the one relationship in this drama that has evolved slowly and organically. Certain “situations” have pushed it forward so we could argue they were also kinda “forced” (the hair washing and breakfast, for example) but it “felt” good. At least I bought it.

I know some people are frustrated with Poong because he decided not to pursue a relationship with Saweoo in order not to hurt Chilsung. We need to consider a few things

a) The OTP needs an obstacle and this is one, that for once, doesn’t feel forced

B) This action reveals one of the good qualities of Poong, his loyalty and capacity for gratitude. He truly didn’t deserve to be betrayed by those ex friends at the hotel restaurant

c) The tape where DSW rejects DCS must’ve shocked him. It was very humiliating and Poong knows first hand what it means to be rejected and how much it hurts. There is no way he didn’t feel a level of identification for DCS at this point.

d) That OTP haven’t even started their “love” relationship, so it’s not super hard to simply decide to not pursue. d) Even if Poong is already over his ex (hard to buy, but anyway) I am sure there are some lingering feelings he needs to resolve regarding her.

e) I’m guessing his love/attraction for her will become so strong  that he won’t resist pursuing the relationship soon-ish, he or Saweoo will most likely face CS, and once that’s resolved, another obstacle will arise.  

And this leads us to DSW, the character that frustrates me most at the moment despite my love for the actress playing her. I’ll write about her later because I’m tired and this is too long already :)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Prettysup said:

@dramafan33 Glad to see that U have recovered ur password hahaha... Actually there are some Hyuk fans who wants to see DCS killed too, but not becoz they want more OTP moments, rather it’s becoz they can’t bear to see DCS suffering the unrequited love and his limited screen time, so they will rather he rest at home to prepare for the next drama. 

When seeing first few episodes, I thought Chill Sung will be too much hard for strangers and his foes... I love the way he feels empathetic towards all but still, I don't get why he is doing so much for Poong who he met a few weeks ago in a very fierce argument... Maybe, Poong's pretty face melts Chill Sung... It seems like Chill Sung character is very weak at heart and too much innocent and Poong is very calculative and reserved which was contradicting to my initial belief of the first episode. Why I say that is because Poong has a solid reason to love Chill Sung since he fought with the hotel guy, also died, got stabbed, to save his recipe book or whatever...  But there is no solid reason for Chill Sung to love Poong more to even sacrifice his life... Maybe the writer wants to force the bromance too like she forcing the OTP love moments... But I love the way the bromance grows... It is the only soothing thing for me in this show so far.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2 minutes ago, xcalibur07 said:

Can anyone tell me the ost for this scene? I tried to search it on YouTube but can't find it.

I don't think it's out, yet. There was no new OST released this week. Maybe next week.

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

Poong, he has gone through a lot and that put him in a state of desperation that made him adopt a very irritating attitude. His arrogance and grumpy nature, came to the forefront as a defense mechanism. But it was mostly a phase. It’s sort of like all these bad things that happened to him brought the worse out of him, and even then he managed to sometimes, get out of his own head and his self-pity and was able to feel compassion and empathy for the noodle guy, Saewo’s mom when she was asking to work at the restaurant, etc After the betrayal he suffered he could easily not trust anyone ever again. Yet, he is already trusting again, forming friendships. I’m one of those who couldn’t stand his yelling but I understood why he was angry like that. That anger is what pushed him to continue living at least at first. The alternative would’ve been a paralyzing depression.  I was particulary bothered when he started yelling at Saewoo especially because she was simply taking it (I don’t like abuse from men or women). I’m glad that dynamic Is over.

Poong is slowly at least progressing. He is still grumpy but his good qualities are surfacing and becoming more obvious. He is slowly but surely embracing his new family. This brings us to the bromance with CS which is in my opinion, the one relationship in this drama that has evolved slowly and organically. Certain “situations” have pushed it forward so we could argue they were also kinda “forced” (the hair washing and breakfast, for example) but it “felt” good. At least I bought it.

I know some people are frustrated with Poong because he decided not to pursue a relationship with Saweoo in order not to hurt Chilsung. 

I agree with you on Poong. I don't hate his character. I feel bad for his character. Like non-ending tragic stuff keeps happening to him and it's hard that yes, it's going to give him temper issue, trust issue and starting all over, again. It's like he said 10 years of hardwork at Giant Hotel and they just toss him like a piece of paper that has no value. His character is going through a lot a lot and he's just realizing that it's not the end of it, yet, he can still make changes for the better good.

I honestly don't look at the whole OTP and love romance. I'm really enjoying that we are finally getting into the relationship between Poong and DCS. Like they are understanding more of each other and slowing learning about each other. 

For DCS, I want to really know what happened to his past. Like he keeps saying to DSW that she doesn't know anything about him. Does that mean there's more to his past? From what Maeng Dal stated that his hyungmin doesn't fall in love quickly and when he does, he fall hard, did DCS get hurt in the past? That's what I'm more curious about. The writer needs to get quickly into the character development, instead of pushing us around beating the bush. The three main characters started out well, give us more about them. Just my thoughts. :)

• Like 9

22 hours ago, icyphoenix said:

Whatever the conclusion might be.. If he is truly in relationship with WJH then can't he act with JRW or share pic with her.. It's not just  LJH n WJH close.. The same goes for working with JRW.. It's his choice to post whatever things he wants.. I like all the three actors.. I hope this shipping fights n etc doesn't affect the friendship of them.. 

Totaly Agreed.

and i hope they not attack jrw sns. or like kid. its can be force her unfollow ljh as well. and after that she will have zero following. lol

LEE DONG WOOK Sent Coffee Truck for JRW.. Second time, before he sent her coffee truck too for support Witch Court

And Couple of the year

• Like 3

23 hours ago, kamkrna said:

It appeared to me like the lady who played the nurse role lee hye joo of cardiovascular dept. is the one here ... maybe I'm wrong... My eyes were swelling with tears seeing Chill Sung alone walking with the IV... :(:( made me remember lee young oh of BM.  :( 

it ain't the same girl. But true that scene had BM feels..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Man I really was the drama was  just about an ex gangster just running a small shop with all his ex gang members.

I feel wasted potential here and that really makes me sad. 

:(

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kamkrna said:

Maybe, Poong's pretty face melts Chill Sung...

This is so funny!

You make a very good point. Many times I've felt the drama just rushes and forces the relationships. I can't pinpoint if its the script, plot or editing, but something has always felt choppy and rushed. Why does Chilsung do so much for Poong? Is it because the script says so? Its a good question and I don't have a really good answer myself. What I can say is that, for some reason, as soon as they met, I didn't feel antagonism from Chilsung's side towards Poong, which let me to believe, at that time, that Chilsung saw something in Poong. I remember he said he was a jerk, but something in his demeanor showed me, Poong caught his attention in a positive way. At first he was trying to mediate between him and his "boys", later when Poong asked him for money, Chilsung was actuallly gentle, telling him not to borrow money from a gangster. Maybe he saw something in him, his idealism and innocence perhaps? as he said later? Also Poong is so hardworking, passionate about his work and does not give up easily. Then he sees his gangster boys being dependent on him, I had the feeling (of course this is me guessing) that he wishes his guys were more like Poong,

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dramafan33 said:

This is so funny!

You make a very good point. 

Finally you unlocked your account.B) You also used to be @chunnogirl33. Weren't you?

As much frustrated I'm with DSW's charcter right now, I was not too much bothered by her ambiguous feelings towards CS because I'm sure the writer initially wanted to keep things that way till the end. That's why despite turning CS down many times she low-key flirted with him and told him she has not sorted out her feelings. 

Then suddenly in next ep everything is over and we got  a new female character who looks like CS's potential love intrest thus destroying significance of his crush on DSW the first woman with whom he actually fell in love. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

Finally you unlocked your account.B) You also used to be @chunnogirl33. Weren't you?

Yes tht's also me, I don't remember exactly why I couldn't recover that one. 

DSW right now annoys me very much. I have many thoughts about her but I am so sleepy that I don't even want to get started on her. All I'll say is, I'm not sure if the writer is presenting her "honesty" as a good feature or not at this point. DCD is direct and honest but so far he has not hurt anyone. DSW "doesn't sugar coat things" but is rude and hurtful. For whatever reason, be it she wants to push someone away or be it she is mad at the person and wants to hurt them (like she did with Poong's dumplings criticism) and its not what she does (rejecting DCD WAS the right thing to do, being honest about Poong's food WAS the right thing to do) but the way she does it that makes her seem so obnoxious to me. She also has a childish demeanor that I found sorta cute in small doses but is tiring me. I love Jung Rye Won but Im not 100% sure Im enjoying this aspect of her characterization. 

Instead of rooting for her "sort of" feminist statements, like I normally would, I found her words empty, shallow, imposed and out of place. All her talk about "I don't want men to tell me what to do"! What men are telling her what to do? Is she now reacting to her dad who probably told her what to do when he supported her economically and she was only a "woman-child"? Am I supposed to infer that her mom represents what DSW would've turned into if life never turned sour for her? A spoiled helpless woman? I kinda sorta "understand"the message but I'm not sure. Why didn't she defend hersef when Poong kept yelling at her but is now acting all proud? 

And lastly, her attitude towards DCS is the most annoying. Whatever cuteness was between them got lost. She is choosing to only remember "the times she rejected him" and not the times she said " Awww why are you forgetting your crush so fast? Ahjussi, wait for me"" So NOW DCS is sort of a nuissance to her and he gets scolded for not properly forgetting about her. Like its so easy! Especially when you are given mixed messages! And no, the excuse that "the writer wanted to keep the triangle going" doesnt make it any less annoying to me

Now the writer decided to change her tune abruptly and DSW looks more like a psycho than ever. Oh yeah NOW she is "honest" and we "Admire" her so much, because "It is her choice what matters after all"

So I'm kinda glad the writer gave me at least the pleasure of seeing her  exposed by Maeng Dal for her rude and callous behaviour, and I'm glad Poong friendzoned her with mixed messages. See how much she likes his honesty! I'm not sure if the writer will make the character ever mature enough to at least owning up to her mistakes and to see how what she did/does is not nice.  Also, she was all "It's my choice" Well guess what, not it's Poong's choice :tongue: So whatever, he will cave to his attraction most likely soon but at least she got to suffer "rejections" a little. 

The new loveline for DCS might or might not work. But his love for DSW doesn't have to be undying love especially since its unrequited. Otherwise, is DCS supposed to be a masocquist? DSW being her only love in forever sounds very romantic but she is never going to love him back so I don't care anymore. I'm not going to dismiss the idea of this new relationship until I see how that progresses. I hope they make it convincing because DCS is the only character I still can "feel" completely. 

A dream I have is for DCS to choose to protect his heart from DWS, tell her she doesn't owe him any money because he'd rather not see her face again, so take the money as a gift and Kaaaa! at least from his life and presence. But that will never happen. DCS is still too whipped by her. 

Edited by dramafan33
  • Like 7

On 6/7/2018 at 1:27 AM, kamkrna said:

It appeared to me like the lady who played the nurse role lee hye joo of cardiovascular dept. is the one here ... maybe I'm wrong... My eyes were swelling with tears seeing Chill Sung alone walking with the IV... :(:( made me remember lee young oh of BM.  :( 

Lee Hye joo is a young nurse, this one from BM, did she appear in WOL ?

Beautiful_Mind_(Korean_Drama)-Mo_Ri-Yoo.

The nurse I see in WOL is this one, I saw her in 'While you were sleeping'

While_You_Were_Sleeping_(2017)-Bae_Hye-S

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

CHINGUS I cannot believe this!!  :scream: 

Spoiler

Did Seol Ja really go back to Master chef? ANNNDDWWWAAAA!!! They really gonna make things tough on Poong.

Credit to instagram owner

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 6:09 AM, dramafan33 said:

Disclaimer and summary of this rant: I’m still watching for Jang Hyuk’s character but I got bored with everything else. My expectations are now very low but I’m still trying to see the light. I know this opinion won’t be popular with those who are liking the OTP story. You guys are the lucky ones, since this drama focused entirely on that. But for those of us who are not feeling them, this is a major drag (that is really the bottomline)

As someone who likes a lot of this drama, (all the disparate elements and even the "randomness") I would say that OTP romance is sadly IMO the most disappointing aspect of the drama. And the only reason there is some semblance of an "OTP" is because the actors actually have some decent chemistry with each other, otherwise they're certainly not that well served by the script. I can hardly believe the OTP romance here is actually written by the writer of Jealousy Incarnate... which is leading me to suspect that this show is being ghost written or something along those lines. The writing for the romance has been amateur hour compared to all the sterling romances that have been written this year coming out of other stations. Even the romance in Prison Playbook and Live were better done and they weren't exactly rom coms by any stretch of the imagination. It's like watching a bad cheesy cliche high school drama unfold. Maybe that's the intention... if so... well... they're doing a good job putting me off that aspect of the drama.

I used to think it was just me being biased due to my love for Hyukie and what he's done with a rather thinly developed character that I'm suffering SLS. But looking at Episodes 17 and 18... and the dialogue... I came to the conclusion... nah... it's really the writing and the directing. What are they doing to SW now? I don't care for it, TBH. 

The bromance I can understand better and like much more even if it's a little awkward at times. But at least there, Poong knows what CS has done for him and put himself on the line for him. CS sees Poong as the underdog that needs to be cared for like one of his boys so that's not surprising. Both these guys value loyalty and for different reasons mind you. Poong hasn't experienced much of it... certainly not from his ex or his ex-colleagues so he can't not be moved by CS' extravagant gestures and CS understands loyalty and team work from being a gang leader.

If I didn't already know what a great and amazing performer Hyukie is, this show confirms it because he brings his A game even when he's given very little to work with. Just looking at what he does in that hospital room with his eyes, tearing up wistfully. That alone gives the CS character the depth this show desperately needs. Is it any great surprise that he's such a beloved character? It's hard to believe that CS is just a support act here when he lights up the screen every time he's on.

Mind you, I like the potential of the war between the restaurants although if I had been writing this drama, I would have focused first on making Hungry Wok a success before taking on Goliath on the other side of the street. I would also have not brought in SW's "family" but really focused on building the relationships amongst Poong, CS and CS' boys while exploring their individual backstories. I want to see the Hungry Wok have real customers first, become a place of refuge for Poong, maybe SW as well and then later on for one or two others before taking on the big boys next door. On hindsight, I agree that the writing should have been focused on the individual characters then gradually building the relationships organically before moving on to the romance.

Anyway, what's done is done... I like the restaurant side of things but as a place of business,  not an in-your-face metaphor for the OTP's brewing sexual tension. That's getting a bit old.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Mind you, I like the potential of the war between the restaurants although if I had been writing this drama, I would have focused first on making Hungry Wok a success before taking on Goliath on the other side of the street. I would also have not brought in SW's "family" but really focused on building the relationships amongst Poong, CS and CS' boys while exploring their individual backstories. I want to see the Hungry Wok have real customers first, become a place of refuge for Poong, maybe SW as well and then later on for one or two others before taking on the big boys next door. On hindsight, I agree that the writing should have been focused on the individual characters then gradually building the relationships organically before moving on to the romance.

I agree with the statement that they writer should of had Hungry Wok become a successful first, then get more entangled with Giant Hotel. As of right now, I feel like the writer is making us stuck in this whole love triangle, bromance situation and without much explanation or going anywhere, they are going to jump us right into the competition. Also I somewhat feel like I'm going to be very disappointed if they screw up Poong AGAIN on next week's episodes. Like seriously, haven't this guy gone through enough, how much more are you guys going to make him suffer more? 

But it is what it is. We'll have to wait and see. 

• Like 2