[Drama 2018] What is Wrong with Secretary Kim, 김비서가 왜 그럴까

0ly40

YJ - do you still have the heart to quit

MS - yes I do.

YJ - then what are your plans for after you quit?

MS - let's see, right now I have not made any fixed plans.

MS - I took a job right after high school so I never had plans for the future and was too busy making money so O actually did not know what she wanted to do.

YJ - Then, think about it slowly what you would like to do.

YJ - I was selfish to keep you next to me. i stopped you from quitting, but now I dont’ think I need to do it any more.

YJ - I will do whatever you do, together….for the last nine years, you worked hard all the time and were perfect and great. So I will send my secretary away. Thank you so much.

@attriste this is the weird line that was in the preview chingu.

14 minutes ago, minsunie said:

I thought it was a proposal! I thought it was very low key and sweet. So cute the writer purposely used words from the wedding vows 

"Will you have me for your husband?.... why? Do you have any objections?" to which Appa yelled "I OBJECT!!!!" LOLLLL

haha, i guess it was an indrect one.

YJ said: You will realise your dream MS. They can go home together everyday and eat ramen everyday. I want to be your husband. I want to marry Kim Miso.

MS: Ah there is one packet left.

MS: If we put frozen mandu into the ramen we can have ramen mandu as well.

YJ: Mandu (dumpling) ramen?

MS: Here you can put dduk and make dduk ramen or you can put cheese and make cheese ramen.

YJ: That is rather amazing, as expected the power of instant food

MS: Do you know why I am happy?

MS: Actually this is my romantic dream, to cook and eat dinner with my husband who just finished work.

MS: Oh why is it so hot in the house?

YJ hold MS's hand

YJ: That dream, I can make it come true. Every day we can go home after work, every day we can eat ramen. My body will start liking MSG.

YJ: I... want to become MS's husband. I want to marry KMS.

YJ: Why? You oppose it?

YJ leans in for a kiss

MS's Father: I OPPOSE IT/ MS: Appa!

YJ: Father in law!

MS's Father: I OPPOSE YOUR MARRIAGE!

• Like 13
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, attriste said:

The weirdddd line YoungJoon said, was it used at all? Hahaha. I can’t even remember what line that was. 

Yep when they walk together at night but it wasn't a sad conversation... i guess. Because after that episode was really cute... I don't know korean but @kaoriharang chingu can help us i think!

• Like 5

A huge thanks to all the recappers! Now that WWWSK is coming to an end, and I have a clearer idea of how the writers plan to fill up the rest of the show, I'm a pretty happy camper :)

This show's been such a cute and fun watch oozing with so much OTP chemistry. And to be fair, I don't think it's going to win any awards for writing (is it ever really possible for rom-coms to do so anyway?) but it's awesome how they have continued to close off the little loops- for example, with Lee Seung Yeon finally getting attention from this parents, the 2 sub-OTPs (who are so adorable in their own right). 

But what I really like is that the show very gently and subtly probes and explores the ideas of society's expectations vs your own expectations and dreams as well as whether it's better to hide behind a mask or endure.

KMS and GKN are such interesting contrasts- both are from humble backgrounds (I think it was intentional that KMS' neighbour who complained abt LYJ's car seemed to be GKN mum?), extremely capable and good-looking as well as well-regarded by others. Both are careful about how they appear to others- GKN keeping up this charade of being a workaholic while KMS wanted to keep her relationship with LYJ a secret for as long as possible. When GKN divulged why he was so frugal, my heart really broke for him- although the writer of the novel claimed that she didn't believe in bad people, the envy and jealousy incited by other people also meant that he always got a backhanded component about his abilities. Everything was seen through the lens of how poor his family was. Likewise for KMS, after her relationship is exposed, everyone jumps to the conclusion that she was seducing LYJ and that this is why she was promoted, not because she is capable. She's so brave and wonderful for ignoring all the talk and insisting on chugging on.

The theme of dreams also comes out strongly in this episode. KMS' dad may come across as a bit of a joke, but he is the living epitome of someone who tried to do something he did not want to and got into a lot of trouble for his effort. It may not be much touring with a rock band, but at least he is living his dream. Same for JYM's cameo- running a restaurant is tough, but it's ok when that's what you really want to do. In that vein, KMS again is super awesome. It's amazing how she was able to recognize and acknowledge truthfully that this secretary work is her ikigai- it's ok to not have to travel the world to "find yourself"- I think all she really needed was some appreciation and space to realize this. Her growth is not as obvious as LYJ's, perhaps because her character is already so used to accommodating others; but I'm glad that she is able to take that merry-go-round and find out that that is what she loves.

Lastly, the whole point of office romances and the imbalance of power keeps getting brought up in other discussion forums like dramabeans. I get it that lots of people find a romance between a boss and subordinate icky, especially if it's a male boss and female subordinate- and there are definitely a whole bunch of issues to untangle. However, I hope the show also gets people to think deeper about their own prejudices. I mean, office romances are not that uncommon especially given the crazy hours that some cultures demand from their workers. I've also seen my fair share of secretaries marrying their bosses- perhaps just like LYJ, they just realised that they couldn't do without these very capable people in their lives versus them being some seductive foxes hell-bent on getting into their bosses' pants. 

• Like 23

4 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I think so, but in context it wasn't really that angsty. I think it was when Young Joon was saying that he won't stop her from quitting, he'll let her go and support whatever she wants to do.

Oh yes now I remember thank you!! Sorry was busy laughing my richard simmons off with the dad and beet red veiny strangled YJ too hard that I forgot everything else.

Also I love that Ji ah and Gwi Nam are just gravitating towards each other now.. such a happy some haha.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, attriste said:

The weirdddd line YoungJoon said, was it used at all? Hahaha. I can’t even remember what line that was. 

8 minutes ago, lolly84 said:

Yep when they walk together at night but it wasn't a sad conversation... i guess. Because after that episode was really cute... I don't know korean but @kaoriharang chingu can help us i think!

Ah that one, I have translated that scene already.

On top!

:DIt was not a sad conversation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sidetrack...I have always enjoyed watching Youn's Kitchen Season 2 in Spain. Seo Joon was an intern (a waiter cum cook) in the reality show. His role was quite low key but I couldn't help noticing how diligent, committed and a good cook he was. He even ironed his own clothes perfectly. Yoomi was then a cook cum kitchen helper. This episode looks like a reunion for both.

(so many pleasant surprises!)

• Like 11

I love Jung YooMi cameo ... not only did she used her real name but she also tried to do his aura thing KEKEKE! then she unintentionally sparked MS jealously by saying that YJ proposed to her when they were 5 yrs old. So cute no wonder MS was jealous and we got to see that evil smirk again. YJ I feel the cold too and how quick was she able to smile again :tongue:

0aa1843a3b7db83f134ad5f05d02b1b5.png

giphy.gif

• Like 15
  • LOL 9

I can't help but stare on his sexy apple BUTT!

ymKXF8N.gif

The photobomber has an incredible hilarious pose than the model... haha!

Spoiler

5daFKBO.gif

9 minutes ago, attriste said:

Oh yes now I remember thank you!! Sorry was busy laughing my richard simmons off with the dad and beet red veiny strangled YJ too hard that I forgot everything else.

3Cqdb1A.gif

Intro~~ " APPA! " Flips the hair! Now I know where Miso got the flipping hair habit.

Spoiler

TL2vamS.gif

• Like 12
  • LOL 11

@jeonghyang I can just imagine you saying that like CEO Ahn in SWDBS (talking about Ji soo’s apple butt hahahaahah) 

YoungJoon was beet red at the end too from that shock hahahahaha. Father in law invokes such a different reaction from him, it’s nice to see his deference hahaahah. 

We gonna have proposaaallll a wedddding and babiessssssss pleassseeeee.

• Like 8
  • LOL 5

@kaoriharang @attriste the angst scene in preview 14 I believe was when MS told YJ that she wont quit her her job and that she loved working to help others esp to those whom she loves.  Look at the preview 14 in spoiler tag and thats the scene where YJ is teary and wearing a white shirt. He was touched by her words. Am I right?

Spoiler

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

@kaoriharang @attriste the angst scene in preview 14 I believe was when MS told YJ that she wont quit her her job and that she loved working to help others esp to those whom she loves.  Look at the preview 14 in spoiler tag and thats the scene where YJ is teary and wearing a white shirt. He was touched by her words. Am I right?

Okay it is a bit confusing but,

the last line of the preview WHICH WE THOUGHT WAS A BREAK UP LINE. Is from the scene where YJ lets MS go as his secretary.

HOWEVER!

the scene in which they made the line overlap with - the one where YJ's is teary eye is the last scene where MS tells YJ she wants to stay on.

Basically they combined it to look like as though the couple was going to break up.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2