[Drama 2018] What is Wrong with Secretary Kim, 김비서가 왜 그럴까

0ly40

Dramaland has finally pulled me back in this week with 2 good drama premieres back to back! This and Are You Human Too are soooo good. I was surprised by how much of a good time I had watching this, it wasn't just super funny but there was a surprising amount of depth there. How crazy is it that the first time they had a real conversation and she aired her grievances was one time 9 years ago and the second time was over text messages. It never occurred to him to worry about her taking on more than she wanted to or could and encouraging her to speak up, and it never occurred to her to try speaking up and not take on so much. Just a lot revealed in one angry text conversation. And the set up to her sending him the hearts flew over my head until it happened haha. Just really good all around. 

Park Min Young and Park Seo Joon are KILLING it!

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

Officially...he is a goner. Heart taken. Just he doesn't realise it's love yet.

He has his work cut out to woo her (in his own fumbling way)

xjJev3.gif

From the preview, the only man she can ever tie a tie for would only be LYJ ^^

• Like 9

One thing confused me in this episode - later in the episode he told her he realised she was right and he was ready to let her go... he started ignoring her and became extremely cold. Then suddenly he lured her into an amusement park trying to woo her again.

I don’t understand what happened. If he wanted to pursue her why was he acting cold to her in the first place?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kokodus said:

Ok I'm in love with this show. It's too early to say anything, but first ep caught me off guard, I didn't really expect to like it that much. Hehe. I want to know what PMY is drinking to look that young and radiant. Seriously man, she doesn't look a day old from her city Hunter days. Lol. I really like her character here, she is calm, confident and CAPABLE, it's hard to find such a character in dramaland. Really rooting for her. And Oppa, of course looks handsome and hot, I like that he is not rude although a bit arrogant and self centred. I can't believe he doesn't know that she has a pollen allergy after working with her for all these years, I know Kim bi so is really good at not letting her weakness show...he needs to grow up a lot. I can't wait for him to change. It will be epic. hehe

I so agree with you about her character, and how uncommon it is in dramaland. I also like that she's doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve and that she isn't guileless. I like the little moments when she steels herself and puts her game face on before facing Young Joon, and when she turns her smile up a notch when he's being extra irritating and she just wants to leave. I feel like it's a refreshing departure from the usual quirky manic pixie dream girl-esque leads in other series (that I've watched at least). 

On another note, I'm kind of preparing myself for the future episodes to be not as good as the start, as most dramas go that way anyway and I'm not really feeling the manhwa story so far. But I hope that the drama's story and Mi So don't entirely become about the brothers' drama and their past trauma. I'd love to see Mi So with her own interest/s or little story apart from the Lee brothers, and to have Young Joon support her in that.

• Like 6

Went ahead and gave this a shot. So far I'm pretty pleased with the silly/serious, romantic/dramatic balance. Tentatively, because there are a lot of different ways "lighthearted romances" seem to derail past the first few good episodes.

I haven't watched anything with Park Min-Young in it before, really impressed so far at her ability to convey subtle emotions (flickers of concern and "wait a minute I actually kind of feel..." at the end of Episode 2). 

• Like 5

@aisling

I can understand you sentiments, as that is rather confusing.

However, after some thinking I realized that he is using another tactic to manipulate her. This is made clear when he tells the new secretary to pretend to be trained for a month. 

This is all in response to her informing him that he had given her such a hard time with his additional requests at work and such. "at work" being the key place where she has a hard time with him. So to "appease" her, he is giving the appearance of having given way to her request, which was to accept her resignation and start bringing in the new secretary to replace her. Though, knowing his character tends to be a bit zealous and intense to how he approaches things, it would make sense that he would come across as cold and callous.

However, we see in some way this tactic is working on her, as she is being cut out of what has been her territory and responsibility, it is getting to her and it is bothering her.

Next, while he is pulling back on the work front to get her to stay, he is now focusing at getting her though a different angle. Outside of work where she spoke about how upset that has made her and focused on something that she would like. Thus we see the survey he secretly got her to take and theme park 'date' as a result. 

But does he love her? After this episode, I don't think it is...yet ... and let me tell you my theory as to why below:

Spoiler

I think that the reason he is so attached to Secretary Kim has to do with his trauma that we got a hint of today. Which I feel is most likely the reason why he does not have anything to do with women. And it appears to be a pretty bad trauma if he has nightmares and apparently has a prescription of sleeping pills...plus that text message from what appears to be his brother in the middle of the night...yeah, seems like it was not simple. 

But my theory is that the scenes of what happened in America were important because this was apparently the time when she reached him past the trauma and allowed him to feel peaceful with her. And it most likely started with the argument that they had. Because notice in the first episode, it is stated that he does not give second chances. When you are out, you are out. But here they have this HUGE argument and what does he do? He gives her a second chance...something he never does. And it is only after that, when she ties his tie that what ever crack his armor that she found in their argument, that his feeling of dependency and need of her starts....but this is just an theory. But it is also suspect in how he reacted to her yelling at him...seems to be a weakness in him. As so far, every time she "yells" or gets angry with him, he seems to back off and is concerned about making her angry.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

My new addiction piece of Kdramas :D

I am literally so happy that finally the Kdramas land is back like how used to be & producing high quality dramas .. It’s definitely raining with many great productions 

But sure gonna give the credits for tvN in accepting the challenge & bringing us new vibes of Kdramas not produced by the national TVs KBS, MBC or SBS ! 

Love the story, couple & their chemistry 

Finally my lovely actress park min-young is back with Kim Nana style from city hunter  & finally Park seo-joon is coupled with lovely actress whom I love so much & let the ship sail :wub:

• Like 7

This drama is absolutely hilarious and good. The title should have been "why vice-president LYJ" lol :D.

Now that I have watched ep 2, things are starting to make sense. My theory is that YJ is not in love with secretary Kim yet. I mean he likes her but not in a romantic way. It is more like she understands him and his needs better. Also she is the type to not betray his trust and I think this means a lot to him as a person. Exactly why he was so shocked and can not understand why she is leaving him. But the problem here is that he is so self-centred that he forgot that she is a person who has a life to live and will not always be there for him.

When they were texting each other and Secretary Kim was complaining to him about the way he Is, his reply to me was sincere. He said that if she told him, he was willing to it for her; but she never told him anything. That flashback from 9 years ago was an evidence that he is willing to change his rule for her. I mean he gave her a second chance which he normally wouldn't do. This confirms that he need to hear from their mouths what the problem is, otherwise he will never know. 

Secretary Kim is absolutely amazing, is confident, and good at dealing with YJ. I resonate with her because I'm also in the stage where I have a good job but want to start doing little things for myself except I don't have a boss like hers lol. I'm looking forward to her journey on how she finds herself. Plus how she falls in love with him Lol, this will be fun. 

I'll stop watching from this ep because I want to marathon the rest of the drama. Waiting for new eps every week is a torture lol. I'll try my best to avoid although I'm not sure how long though:tongue:.

• Like 6

OMG ! really for me to notice the drama is a great one, Is the time when I come back to soompi Kdrama thread ! 

I am browsing back almost every single post, enjoying the discussion by all of you. 

This drama brings me back my cherished memories of 2 of my most loved Kdrama; Secret Garden & City hunter :wub: , adding to that it’s very own uniqueness kind of story , specially where the female lead is a strong minded & the male lead despite being almost a stereotypical character but he is more kind of logical & has flexibility at least toward his yet to be declared love interest . 

I have read the concerns of some of you that the drama may lose its current sparkle of focusing on our couple evolving love to their brothers story & childhood trauma! But honestly all what I wish for , to keep up with same kind of excitement & entertainment that are showed up in the pilot episodes. 

And by the way , I don’t know why Korean writers like to link their leads starting from their childhood! Can’t they be just an ordinary people who meet without any past story ! really sometimes I find myself losing interest in such kind of twist or stories unless something really worthy can get me hooked up to them ! 

• Like 2

this drama is a keeper. the 2 lead acting alone is enough for me.

that welcome dinner scene for the new Secretary was a little funny. they all look so living when LYJ wasnt there yet. but once he show up there mood go down.

that karaoke scene was funny. KJA is way too funny. her dance/falling into LYJ arm/confressing. she want to be his secretary too/LYJ tell the co0worker to drag her off of him was funny.

i guess this is what alcohol do to people. it make them do crazy stuff.

that ride home were LYJ ask KMS what her idol bf is/she say a person who do kind stuff for her/LYJ say then he is her idol bf/KMS tell him trying to hard to plz does not count was funny.

that flashback of KMS/LYJ in the US were LYJ yell at her for not doing her job/KMS telling him it her first time in the US/learning new stuff/having to be away from her family/cry was sad.

that flashback were KMS alone by herself/saying she might not be able to pay off her family dete. because of her out burst to LYJ/he might fire her/only for LYJ sending her a message that it take alot of heart. to standup to him/he amire her for that/telling her to come to work at 5 was touching.

that office scene were LYJ play hard to get to KMS was cute.

also that scene of LYJ telling KMS to tell the new Secretary to come to his office/the new Secretary saying what does he want her to do/LYJ say nothing/telling her to just sit in his office for 5min then go .

i guess we findout LYJ never want a new Secretary. he just strolling for time till KMS take back her idea of quiting .

another clifhanger. i wonder what will LYJ do for KMS this time? cant wait till episode 3.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, wunwing1 said:

that office scene were LYJ play hard to get to KMS was cute.

also that scene of LYJ telling KMS to tell the new Secretary to come to his office/the new Secretary saying what does he want her to do/LYJ say nothing/telling her to just sit in his office for 5min then go .

i guess we findout LYJ never want a new Secretary. he just strolling for time till KMS take back her idea of quiting .

another clifhanger. i wonder what will LYJ do for KMS this time? cant wait till episode 3.

Just finished watching episode 2 with subtitles and it's soo hilarious how LYJ is stalling time on purpose to get KMS to stay longer. I would have to agree on that part and he's doing very well by making her feel guilty about it, because it's like what he stated "you never said no to the stuff I asked you to do." He's not at fault for that, but she is realizing her feelings. She always wanted to do better at her job that she forgot about her feelings that she had towards him. 

I somehow have a feeling that LYJ's hyung is adopted, that's why he doesn't deal with the company and he can be related somehow to KMS..? I have a feeling that when both boys were young, something bad happened and caused them both to have nightmares, because I keep watching the long trailer and seems like the brother is having the same nightmares, too. Also feels like KMS will get entangled with the brother as well. Just a guess. 

• Like 5

I waited for this drama since forever. PMY is my fav kr actress, I also like PSJ acting since fight for my way.

I love this drama so much. I thought it would be super cringe because it's adopted from manhwa but it's fun and PD did a good joob converting manhwa comedy into drama.

PSJ and PMY have a great acting and chemistry, its weird since they dont have any intense romance/skinship yet! Id be dead if they did kiss as the drama continue lmao

This is the first time I'm rooting so hard for our OTP since the start (only 2 eps). Compared to other drama which the leads have totally different personality, IMO they are so relatable, both match really well and deserve each other. They are solo since birth lol. LYJ is perfect person so is KMS. It's understandable if LYJ doesnt want KMS to quit because she is a legandary secretary. also shes been with him for 9 years. KMS also wont get the same boss/man as good as LYJ, except for his narcissistic personality he is perfect from head to toe, also he knows her better than anyone since they have quite similar personality and close for 9 years. I cant wait to see when KMS tried to do blind date and she would realized that there is no other perfect man like LYJ and she match the best with him lol

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Mapleoaks5 said:

Does anyone know if this webtoon is completed? and where I can read it? I found it on tappytoons but its done after a few episodes. Thanks!

I found this link https://page.kakao.com/home/48704250?categoryUid=10&subCategoryUid=69&page=1&orderby=asc

but it seems it only presents 5 series for free, in order to read the rest you have to pay first.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, aisling said:

Two broody shower scenes in 2 episodes in a row. Well done, tvN :lol:

I am hoping they do one in every episode, it would be a great running gag (and a very pleasant one for those who appreciate). :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 4