[Drama 2018] What is Wrong with Secretary Kim, 김비서가 왜 그럴까

0ly40

The drama version is superb.. they don't have to follow webtoon scene order, some of the last chapter appear early (like when LYJ sees LSY grab KMS's hand) :wub:

The drama is also more reliable and logical. The sweet scene makes me tearing up, cannot wait to see the episode when KMS remember everything, on how LYJ get his scar :(:(:( it might be appear either in the festival of yumyung land / yumyung store branch. 

Not even in one episode this drama lacks its sweet or romantic scene. 

• Like 18

Think it would have been difficult ..

office romances between a superior n a surbordinate are a minefield ( #metoo)

So I was glad that he kept it professional...obviously had a no touch policy...lol

But of course when she resigned plus his desperation...all bets are off...

So I didn't take that as a superior/surbordinate situation so much  after she gave notice..though I know the power dynamics was disturbing for some of the viewers.

But given how kms did speak her mind...obviously their working relationship was probably a little more equal n she took his instructions as personal challenges (cue robotic sound effects prior to the sports day) rather than orders from above per se...

My two cents

• Like 13

2 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I agree with you @mushforbrains... We just saw a flashback nine years ago. When he first saw her, he had the longing eyes just for her but sadly she did not remember him.  

Some people here question in the 9 years they worked together there was no spark, I myself choose to see it this way. Since we haven't seen all there years together we can't assume there was no spark.  I think he might have wanted to with her but couldn't quite get his "HiNTS" through the nine years. Like for example their fisrt meeting, she thought he was bragging about being the chairman son when it was the opposite. Both inexperienced in love we wouldn't know how to begin dating. Another example Asking if you ramen??? She had no idea the meaning behind it. LOL LOL  I felt after the first meeting, LYJ just kept up the image of being narcissistic with her and it became his image permanently.  

What do you guys think??? @nonski   @USAFarmgirl @bebebisous33 @SeGafanlady @Wotad @averia  @kaoriharang  @lolly84   

Ill reply more after i watch episode 8 ;p so i can give a better opinion some stuff might have been book spoilers or shown in episode 8 etc..

I do think he was longing for her though ill give a better opinion once i wake up and watch Episode 8. 

38 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Like I said before I really love this drama because its so light and breezy most all the characters are  likeable in their on way thats really rare.

Im just glad no female villain or love triangle i dont really class his brother as thing but i suppose hes the villain and love triangle ;p  

• Like 7

9 hours ago, LavelyShai said:

I don't think Mom went along with it intentionally or maybe was even aware of the story Seung Yeon was spinning because she looked a little shocked when he said there was someone else with him & then corrected him. It seems as if the parents really knew the extent of his mindset when it came to the incident. 

But that's exactly what he did. Young Joon was a bright child & if a kid at his age happens to overhear something or makes themselves think if they pretend as if nothing happened then things will go back to normal. Young Joon pretended to have amnesia & his family believed it because what do you tell a 10 year old who just went through a traumatic experience like that who faints and says they suddenly don't remember? They let it go because there was nothing they could get out of him and it seemingly helped restore some peace to their household. One thing I've realized is to never underestimate a child due to their ages, they will surprise you.

It's obvious at this point that Young Joon does in fact remember everything & has pretended to not remember in order to keep a sense of normalcy in his life. However, that made him have to suffer alone while his brother acted as if he had the worst of it.

As for Seung Yeon, he's truly a unique person & I doubt that he intentionally plotted to ruin his brother, but he was quite the bully because he felt inferior. That feeling still exists to this day & he's using every chance he gets to one up his smart younger brother to feed off of that attention he thinks he deserves. 

I believe both parents know the real truth, that indeed YJ was the one kidnapped and SY is pretending.

But I think the parents also acknowledge the fact that they have to go along with SY's delusion that he was the one that was kidnapped.

I guess that is why the mother never specifically said the name of the children. She did say Hyun - which is actually YJ's real name. But MS doesn't know that.

But you are right, I too believe that the parents are fully aware of it, but they go along with it in order to keep the peace in the family. That's why even though I am not happy that the mom didnt correct MS's thinking of who her oppa is. I am glad she gave her enough clues that will eventually show that YJ is her oppa, not SY.

I really feel for YJ, what you said is so true about YJ. Why he pretending, he was 8 when it happen but yet he realise the need for him to pretend. He saw his family falling apart, and so in order to protect, he continues to live a 'false' life so to speak.

8 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

wait i am confused..

when i say child is not pretending, i am referring to the older brother. because he was 10 and his younger brother was 8. For clarity's sake let me use real names for actors because drama names kind of belong to both of them.

So, i was saying T (older brother) probably is not pretending on purpose. And you are saying he actually is? Because i don't understand when you say he is pretending and his brother is acting he had the worst of it.. his brother is PSJ who on the other hand is not pretending anything - like a family the other three are giving older brother the comfort of his fantastic reality to avoid any more mental trauma

I think there is a bit of a confusion,

right now both brothers have sort of had a memory swap.

In actuality, YJ was the one kidnapped and SY was the one that caused it to happen (well he didnt cause it, more like he didnt prevent it)

However, right now YJ has pretended to forget everything, while SY believe it was him that got kidnapped instead.

As to is SY pretending on purpose, he isnt. SY has always been mentally weak and as such, when YJ got kidnapped. SY was overcome with such guilt that somehow he made a switch (in his mind) that it was him that got kidnapped and YJ did not help or prevent it from happening.

2 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I agree with you @mushforbrains... We just saw a flashback nine years ago. When he first saw her, he had the longing eyes just for her but sadly she did not remember him.  

Some people here question in the 9 years they worked together there was no spark, I myself choose to see it this way. Since we haven't seen all there years together we can't assume there was no spark.  I think he might have wanted to with her but couldn't quite get his "HiNTS" through the nine years. Like for example their fisrt meeting, she thought he was bragging about being the chairman son when it was the opposite. Both inexperienced in love we wouldn't know how to begin dating. Another example Asking if you ramen??? She had no idea the meaning behind it. LOL LOL  I felt after the first meeting, LYJ just kept up the image of being narcissistic with her and it became his image permanently.  

What do you guys think??? @nonski   @USAFarmgirl @bebebisous33 @SeGafanlady @Wotad @averia  @kaoriharang  @lolly84   

haha well if we bring in the context of the backstory.

I believe that YJ from the start has always loved MS.

After they parted ways when they were children, he went back to find her but however, MS's family had moved out. So the trail went cold for all those years until the fateful meeting where he discovered there was someone named KMS who was working for the company as a temp.

That's why he went to that staff dinner, (he normally doesnt) so when he did - he discovered it was KMS the girl he had been looking for all this while - hence he encouraged her to apply to be his secretary, he wanted MS close.

As for whether YJ wanted to date MS, maybe for him (at least at that point) was that as long as she was beside him, he could continue to watch her and make sure she was alright. I think once she announced her decision to leave, well that make him turn and really have him look inward as to what does he feel towards MS.

At least that's what I think :P

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dramaninja said:

Like I said before I really love this drama because its so light and breezy most all the characters are  likeable in their on way thats really rare.

I agree. This is the result of combination of the pd and the writer, both of them dont like evil character. Based on the writer interview :

The drama so far is sweet and funny, without an evil character in sight. Jung Kyung Yoon said, “The reason why there isn’t an evil character is because that’s the style of my work. I usually can’t write about bad people. I met director Park Joon Hwa before the production of the drama and the director also said he doesn’t like evil characters. He has such a kind outlook, I think the drama will turn out better than the original, and I’m really excited.”

Source

And I agree so much with that, except for the brother I dont see any evil/annoying characters from this drama. Usually in kdrama especially romance/chaebol theme, they would add really evil 2nd female lead or annoying male lead parents who always try to separate the otp.

In this drama lyj parents are supportive toward kms eventhough they are from different world, even with lsy, he is not powerful enough to separate our otp. Took only less than 1 episode to cleared the missunderstanding lol. I really enjoyed this drama, I will look forward to the pd and writer for their next project! (Hopefully they would reunite again)

• Like 12

3 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I agree with you about his narcisistic image. It's his coverage, a mask to keep an eye on Mi So and keep her safe by his side. His instict is to protect her since their childhood! He wanted to accomplish this mission so his way to do things was that!

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, LavelyShai said:

I think Mom did correct Mi So, but she didn't catch it.

Hide contents

When she said Seung Yeon, Mom looked taken aback & proceeded to correct something, but didn't say 'Young Joon', instead she said 'our Hyeonie' and not 'Yeon' so that was a huge clue however, Mi So never actually caught that. 

Both parents are aware of who was really kidnapped, there's no way they don't since Seung Yeon was found first & Mom stated Young Joon was gone 4 days. Though I don't believe they think Young Joon actually has amnesia, but yeah they just go along with it because how do you tell him he does remember? Do you force it? So essentially they just let it go however, I think Mom is getting disturbed by how distorted Seung Yeon's memories are by now. 

"As to is SY pretending on purpose, he isnt. SY has always been mentally weak and as such, when YJ got kidnapped. SY was overcome with such guilt that somehow he made a switch (in his mind) that it was him that got kidnapped and YJ did not help or prevent it from happening."

I agree. He's not really doing it on purpose to harm his brother per se, but he's had this weak/victim's mentality basically his whole life so he has this habit of making things about him. He bullied Young Joon as a kid? He switches it and says he was the one who was bullied because he felt lesser. In his mind, he's the real victim which is why he kept mentioning about Young Joon apologizing because that's how he's coping with the guilt combined with his mental state.

hmm good point chingu, i didnt see it that way.

I know she said the name but i guess because YJ changed his name - MS didnt see that clue.

I believe the parents know about SY's condition.

Spoiler

because what led up to YJ 'losing' his memories, was him hearing his parents talking about SY. That they may need to put SY in a mental hospital. This was really the catalyst that led to YJ pretending to lose his memories. Because he knew how sick SY was and how heartbroken his parents were.

Yes he did bully YJ as a kid- YJ said so when he entered the same grade as his brother. The timeline of events is that

YJ entered 4th grade

SY didnt like it, took the opportunity to bully YJ.

After which, the kidnapping happened.

I guess it goes to show that SY is really mentally weak/sick, as such, he thinks everyone is against him rather than the fact that it has to do with himself. Deflecting blame I guess is a very common thing.

• Like 11

@kaoriharang and @LavelyShai

I enjoyed reading what you both have stated.

Yes, I also feel that SY had absorbed what happened to YJ as his own memories. The overbearing guilt about how it all transpired had perhaps made him really wish (as a young boy) that he was the one kidnapped.

I believe that once he comes to accept that he was also a young boy then and gets rid of his resentment of his 'bright' younger brother, he will be able to move on and embrace his talents and his accomplishments.

I speculate that now the episodes will be geared to MS finding out the truth and helping SY accept the truth without making him feel any lesser or abandoned.

I also love the side stories about the office colleagues.

I have to say my favourite character would be the BFF, Mr Park. He also is quite prominent in the webtoon and the live actor is the personification of the webtoon character. ^^

• Like 8

Y'know f 2 inexperienced individuals...they sure do know how to kiss...properly:w00t: 

Did they have Min-Young stand on a platform or something?! 'Cause she seemed to be the same height as Seo-Joon LoL!:lol: 

Her hair is a character on this show by itself:D

Ugh that Sung-Yeon/Morpheus whatever<_<

Idk but I have the suspicion that Young-Joon's mom seem to know more of the kidnapping than she's letting on.....hm-_-

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

Thank you chingus for all the yummy gifs!!!! The kiss in slow mo is even better then replying the scene haha!!!

the gifs helped me appreciate how well PSJ acted in that scene... it must be awkward for a guy to have to wait to be kissed - k drama guys normally take all the action! But he did it so well... the first kiss looked so pure and tender. It was innocent but not a dead fish kiss. Ahem some k drama actresses can really take a leaf out of psj book;)  pmy did really well too she looks so pretty and she really delivered too! She’s improved a lot since sungkyunkwan sandal!! Went to binge watch 7dq after ep 4 bec I couldn’t wait! You go girl!

i’ve been Very taken by his acting- this is the first time i’m Watching him in a drama and i’m falling for his subtle and complex acting! His expressions after he couldn’t kiss her again and he looked sad, ashamed, upset and I don’t know what all rolled into one. his reading the journal was also so complex - it was not just remembering with nostalgia a sweet memory... it was clear that it was a painful memory too. Wow he is a gem of an actor! 

• Like 10

Welcome back, @Ahpheng! Apparently, you've been lured by our sexy VP and his sexytary. 

As if you're not fed up yet with my Taehwan defense and fawning lol, his acting does give justice to the material he's given. Other minor characters in this drama have positive mindset, so they're so comical and likeable even though they have their own struggles. But SY bears the years of coping with childhood trauma. He feels like he's the victim but he also feels like he himself is understanding enough in consideration of his parents. You see both his restraint and anger when YJ pushes his buttons.

Again, I believe SY is crazy. He isn't deliberately annoying his brother and trying to get Mi So to spite on him. His attraction to Mi So and animosity towards his brother stems from his belief that he was the one kidnapped with her. And that belief is not a deliberate lie, if I may say. Something happened to his memory and cognition. 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, realistic2280 said:

Anyone noticed that MS and YJ seemed to have similar, matching colour when they are in office.... coincidence? :phew:

I noticed that too. But in the drama or movie, is it a must to have a match color or at least their clothes has to support the message that they are trying to convey? I mean they have fashion stylist in the production to manage this right? And most of part in the drama even in the press conference, usually a marketing of some kind of products they are wearing --- like the clothes, the jewelry, drinks, pizza, restaurant/coffee shop, car.  

I don't know. Maybe some other friends could give also opinion on this.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MeritaG said:

I noticed that too. But in the drama or movie, is it a must to have a match color or at least their clothes has to support the message that they are trying to convey? I mean they have fashion stylist in the production to manage this right? And most of part in the drama even in the press conference, usually a marketing of some kind of products they are wearing --- like the clothes, the jewelry, drinks, pizza, restaurant/coffee shop, car.  

I don't know. Maybe some other friends could give also opinion on this.

Im not sure, but maybe when one is a couple already, then it is possible to have similar colours.... Just a thought :)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, realistic2280 said:

Im not sure, but maybe when one is a couple already, then it is possible to have similar colours.... Just a thought :)

You know what? I think you should join also the other group - the Park-Park shipper one in this soompi forum. :blush:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

7 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Yeah, we don't have a full view of the 9 years they were together. We only got a few scenes so it's hard to say what was happening there. I'm sure that LJY wasn't openly showing his feelings to KMS. Maybe that first time when she didn't recognize him hurt him so much that he wasn't ready for her next rejection. He likes to distance himself from things when he thinks he will get hurt. We know that he rarely shows his vulnerable side to others because he doesn't want them to have amunition to hurt him. Even at the beggining when he was trying to keep KMS at the company he did all the logical things he could think of to avoid showing her how much her resignation affected him. And we know that he has that habit of saying something and then cover it with something else. We don't know how many times that happend throughout that 9 years. And maybe he saw his trauma as an obstacle to be a good boyfriend or husband and he thought that the only way he could be close to KMS is by being her boss and protecting and caring for her from shadows. That may be the reason he didn't try anything with her. And then the resignation letter came and all bets were off. 

I did some hunting on youtube and felt in love with that video. 'Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you but ain't nobody love you like I do' :love:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2