[Drama 2018] What is Wrong with Secretary Kim, 김비서가 왜 그럴까

0ly40

They kissed at half-way mark of this 16-ep drama.  I think they timed it so.  And yup,  from previous dramas,  PSJ does not do dead fish kisses.     I like dramas where the OTP are a couple early on,  and halfway is good timing.   Holding back kisses at the rush last 10 minutes of the final ep, doesn’t do it for me.   Not with this kind of story.  

Miso is smart.   The cable tie scars are really the key to identifying oppa.  And the fact that he cannot initiate a kiss, tells of a childhood trauma, one that jives with what MS remembers. 

There were still be struggles, and the trauma will be peeled.  When it is, they will be inseparable forever,  and  be each other’s support system.   Also, given this genre,  they will have a happy ending.  

That said, 8 eps just flew by.  But will enjoy this ride until the end of the series.  

• Like 15

Since I'm having issues sleeping, I'm just going to write a bit about that lovely (successful) kiss scene and how well it was directed and acted out.

Third time's the charm for LYJ, or not really, because without KMS stepping out, there wouldn't have been any kiss!

I loved how it echoed that beautiful scene 9 years ago when she stepped forward and offered to do up his tie for him. She felt professionally incompetent and wanted to at least do this one thing right. That LYJ allowed her to help him with his tie was him letting himself be vulnerable- he was a goner even from that long ago. Her smoothing the lapels of his jacket was such an intimate gesture, and must've been so reassuring to LYJ who could let a single woman approach him because of his trauma.

9 years down the road and their roles are reversed. The perfect LYJ who could overcome anything realised that overcoming his trauma to just kiss the woman he loved was not just a matter of will. So again, KMS stepped up and in doing so, made herself vulnerable to him by kissing him first. Her hands smoothing down the lapels of his jacket may just have been her trying to keep her balance, but also gave the reassurance and love that LYJ needed to break through his trauma. And once he broke through, well, the boy doesn't need any further encouragement or lessons in kissing does he? :kiss_wink:

• Like 16
  • LOL 2

tumblr_pb1pdwAipE1vqfmslo2_540.gifI can live only by looking at this..... and hhmm PSJ must be enjoying kissing that beautiful pinky rose lips of gorgeous Park Min Young....  oepss ok @minseojoon time to move to the shipper thread hehehehe....

looking forward for the more sweet and romantic cute moments between them... and the wedding scene (read bed scene) hehehehe

@dramaninja chingu.. you are hilarious... lmao :D

• Like 8
  • LOL 7

3 hours ago, Loretto said:

@darr Even though you don't like historical dramas, you should try watching Queen for Seven Days.  She does a really beautiful job of acting in that drama.  All of the acting in that drama is very good, actually - try it.   :  )

My dear.thanks but I will not be swayed. The killings and insensitivity  that is a major characteristic of k historical drama will give me heart attack. I watched s scandal and loved it. One among the two historical I watched.That was how I knew her. I'm yet to see historical drama like that. I have tried so many but stops at episode 2 or even 1. 

I fantasized a lot with her acting in healer and she is depicting the same thing here. Her acting moves me the way I get moved watching my best male actors. That's how good she is. 

She is such a petite beautiful actresses.

I don't know if Korean guys don't have eyes. I'm sure all her male leads if they will tell the truth will be moved at a point acting with her. 

• Like 11

One thing I like about Kim Mi So is her fashion style: both her work clothes and her daily clothes. But what I really like the most are her earrings. 

Have I to work as secretary to have them? :phew: (I wouldn't mind if Park Seo Yoon was my boss either).

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

17 minutes ago, Pikachu92 said:

Someone spot PSJ and PMY shooting today. It look like scene from the poster Romantic Night.. i hope they're kissing again. :D

FOR THIS KIND OF DRAMA WE ALL LIVE!!! :wub:

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, LavelyShai said:

But that's exactly what he did. Young Joon was a bright child & if a kid at his age happens to overhear something or makes themselves think if they pretend as if nothing happened then things will go back to normal. Young Joon pretended to have amnesia & his family believed it because what do you tell a 10 year old who just went through a traumatic experience like that who faints and says they suddenly don't remember? They let it go because there was nothing they could get out of him and it seemingly helped restore some peace to their household. One thing I've realized is to never underestimate a child due to their ages, they will surprise you.

It's obvious at this point that Young Joon does in fact remember everything & has pretended to not remember in order to keep a sense of normalcy in his life. However, that made him have to suffer alone while his brother acted as if he had the worst of it.

As for Seung Yeon, he's truly a unique person & I doubt that he intentionally plotted to ruin his brother, but he was quite the bully because he felt inferior. That feeling still exists to this day & he's using every chance he gets to one up his smart younger brother to feed off of that attention he thinks he deserves. 

wait i am confused..

when i say child is not pretending, i am referring to the older brother. because he was 10 and his younger brother was 8. For clarity's sake let me use real names for actors because drama names kind of belong to both of them.

So, i was saying T (older brother) probably is not pretending on purpose. And you are saying he actually is? Because i don't understand when you say he is pretending and his brother is acting he had the worst of it.. his brother is PSJ who on the other hand is not pretending anything - like a family the other three are giving older brother the comfort of his fantastic reality to avoid any more mental trauma

24 minutes ago, dulcinea1 said:

One thing I like about Kim Mi So is her fashion style: both her work clothes and her daily clothes. But what I really like the most are her earrings. 

Have I to work as secretary to have them? :phew: (I wouldn't mind if Park Seo Yoon was my boss either).

she redefines korean fashion world .. lol.. because all things aside.. korean drama fashion is just lowest grade horrible.. those "designs" don't even remotely make sense - the half stitched coats, the shoelaces, the worse than asymmetrical skirts, the outrageous patterns, those really weird short flared jeans, even accessories are outright bad more often than not

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

she redefines korean fashion world .. lol.. because all things aside.. korean drama fashion is just lowest grade horrible.. those "designs" don't even remotely make sense - the half stitched coats, the shoelaces, the worse than asymmetrical skirts, the outrageous patterns, those really weird short flared jeans, even accessories are outright bad more often than not

I love Korean Fashion...It depends of the taste of everyone. I think Koreans have a very good sense of fasion and i love it and what i like the most are those asymmetrical skirts that the crazy girl frequently  wears. 

• Like 3

I had taken a look at the webtoon without understanding any word, but the images were enough for me.

But now, I have found this (huge spoiler).

Spoiler

Is this translation right?

I really doubt that we have something like this in the drama (If only that were so! ;)) but, honestly, this dialogue is too cheesy to me.

• Like 9

There is so much to unpack from these last two episodes.

First, shoutout to all of the side characters in this drama because they are really coming through with the comic relief. The President, Yoo-Sik, he is the best character on the show. He has managed to forge a friendship with LYJ despite his past prickly personality, and despite that he is a chaebol. I like how he is subtly straight-forward all while being respectful to his friend's position. I have also come to love Deputy Bong. Her quirkiness and consistent shenanigans to get a good man is quite funny. I really ship her with Secretary Yang, who seems to genuinely like her. 

I can even tolerate  the story line between Kim Ji Ah and Go Gwi Nam.Even those Ji Ah needs to get in control, after all she is the one who really holds the power here. She has the information and she needs to get him together with some of these threats. 

Our OTP. I knew the moment that LSY brought up the kidnapping to KMS that he was lying. Yes, HE IS LYING! He has not forgotten a thing, he is a LIAR! He is lying as a defense mechanism because he still feels irreparably guilty about leaving his brother all those years ago. The fact is LYJ is exceptional. He is smart and wise beyond his years and displayed this talent as a kid. Maybe his parents showered him with more attention that they did towards him, but either way he held real resentment towards his brother because of it. This is something that could absolutely turn a family upside down. FOUR DAYS is a long time for your child to be missing. FOUR DAYS is a long time for an older brother who is only 11 years-old to deal with the fact that his younger brother may have gotten killed, taken forever, molested, etc. Instead, he came back in one piece, traumatized and probably hurt that his brother hated him so much he would leave him to be taken like that. He came back not only with emotional scars but physical scars of his bondage that he carries on him to this day. LSY had to spend FOUR DAYS watching his parents lose their minds wondering what happened to their child.  He remembers EVERYTHING! That is why he holds so much animosity against LYJ. His plan did not turn out the way he wanted. He thought if it was just him and his parents, all would be well in the world. He would be happy and have them all to himself. He just didn't bank on his parents being so miserable or the mental and emotional ramifications of his selfish decision.

LYJ's decision to pretend he forgot is where his real genius lies. Even at nine years-old, he knew pretending to have amnesia would make everything better in his house. I believe after what happened, he was low-key afraid of his brother and what he was capable of. I bet his parents probably treated the brother bad because of what he did and to keep his brother from hating him more, he just pretended he forgot. The problem is he needed therapy. His hyung did too. They never got treatment because LYJ sacrificed his happiness and well-being to hold his family together. For that, I blame his parents. They know what really happened instead of getting to the bottom of why this happened in the first place and getting their kids treated. Not only have they allowed their youngest son to feign amnesia, they went further by allowing the older brother to pretend LYJ caused all of this and then place blame on his younger brother knowing that is NOT what happened. His mother confirmed this when she spoke with KMS. 

This leads me to conclude that LSY is trash! He is playing off of his brother's trauma to make himself a victim and make his brother the villain although it was the other way around. Now, he is playing on KMS's trauma so he can have her for himself because he cannot allow his brother any type of happiness. This all makes me question him as an author. How can someone this selfish create love stories and have such a huge following? It could be another form of his escapism from what he did. But, without a doubt, he is trash. I am so glad KMS confessed to LYJ. They really do have a fate between them. I want someone else from their past to come into the picture. Someone who was friends with LSY who can attest to how much he hated his brother so we can really get to the truth.

What say you KIM CHINGUS???? :)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, averia said:

I think he doesn't care about that. He only cares about himself and his hatred for LJY. LSY will use anything he can put his hands on to hurt LJY. And he knows that KMS is very important to his little brother so he will use her too. He doesn't care that he will hurt KMS. She is just an innocent person in the middle of brotherly rivarly. LSY is a very selfish person. First example? He didn't care that KMS has a date, he wanted to meet her just to give her HIS answer about book concert. Everything has to be about him. 
And those different reactions to reading KMS's diary. LSY is reading it as it is some kind of comic book and LJY was really moved by it. And then LSY has to pretend that he actually care about that and LJY has to pretend that he doesn't care at all. 

Hide contents

Regarding the LSY's vivid 'memories'/nightmares of the kidnapping that some of you mentioned. I think that he has a very good imagination. He listened to what LJY said about the kidnapping and made it his own. But he didn't know that LJY kept some things to himself like KMS being there with him. So he can't remember things that LJY didn't reveal.    

@averia... Wells said chingu, LSY does have a very good imagination.  LSY must have heard the story so many times that he was able to make it his own. Before making it his own story , I found it really sad that SY was always attacking LYJ after the kidnapping. When I heard this it broke my :heartbreak::heartbreak: to pieces. 

I am starting to agree with some of our chingu's who doesn't blame the parents decision. YJ's mom explained how lost they were in helping their boys. Just one day , a 10 year old came up with amnesia to make the family whole. It is sad that LYJ had to be the one to keep the family whole.  Some say the kidnapper is connected to the father, if that is true that explains YJ's decision on marraige until he almost lost Mi So for good, the reason behind YJ  let his mother get away with talking to Mi So. LOL LOL 

14 hours ago, chdom said:

Meeting each other flashback scene in earlier episode of YJ/MS: MS first impression just the chairman’s son, now we see from YJ that the “Do you know who I am?” line wasn’t him being obnoxious. He  thought she’d recognize him as her caramel oppa. He’s been by her side every step of the way. It IS the little things. Can this show be any more sweeter? Yes!!

@chdom... Exactly , she assumed the answer he was looking for. I think once she figures it all, she will finally understand why he asked  " Do you know who I am?" and that she answered really wrong.

11 hours ago, Dramanoona said:

You have a guy, SY , who is successful in his own right but still worries and feels that he is lacking in comparison with his brother. I don't condone his actions in using what happened during their childhood as another 'one-up' over YJ. It is too quick that he believes that MS is his destiny. I feel it is more that he knows YJ is interested in MS.

I love his BFF and his wise words about being naked....LOL

@Dramanoona   I think SY's issue is that his brother is confident and has his parents adoration.  Sure his brother is smart but I believe LYJ has always tried to let his big brother shine because his brother needed that attention on him. The Dinner scene and the book event proved that LYJ has always allowed his brother to shine and be happy. He allowed his older brother be admired fawned about. Let's be honest LYJ only has one friend and his employees are just so scared of him . 

• Like 8

I guess some of you have read the webtoon or summaries of it. I can't read through the comments because so many of you are analyzing stuff that hasn't happened yet, and I feel stupid making predictions from only what I know and have seen while so many are judging by spoiler info.

Feeling quite grouchy. 2231.png?w=148&h=150

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

5 hours ago, dulcinea1 said:

Same here!!! I directly ordered them through GMarket. They are so pretty and lovely  :heart:

17 hours ago, lollyminx said:

Yes, I agree. Based on what YJ has said about forgetting everything and stuff, I think he pretended to have forgotten about the kidnapping to keep the peace, then the parents played along because it was the only way that they could keep the peace in the family. Sung Yeon will continue to be angry while pretending he's the one who was kidnapped and stuff, and so YJ chose to just forget about it so Sung Yeon won't be upset, and so their parents won't have to deal with the problem. My problem with this, however, is that they could have been better parents. Even if YJ chose to forget, they should have made him get therapy, and they should have also done this for SY so that he does not keep on pretending that he's the one who's kidnapped.

Well it is South Korea. Asking for mental therapy is unfortunately considered taboo in Asian culture, especially for chaebol like them. The parents clearly see that there's something wrong going in SY's head (inferior-aggressive and now schizophreniac). YJ 'having' amnesia makes the parents' life easier. They too were having though period and trauma with kidnapping, let alone have to face the mental issue. Pretty much a picture of a sad family. I hope there will be no silly conflict in the rest of the drama, YJ deserves all happiness after decades of sacrifice!

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, maddymappo said:

I guess some of you have read the webtoon or summaries of it. I can't read through the comments because so many of you are analyzing stuff that hasn't happened yet, and I feel stupid making predictions from only what I know and have seen while so many are judging by spoiler info.

Feeling quite grouchy. 2231.png?w=148&h=150

Some did.. (read the novel/webtoon) and some like us haven't ... that is why we hopefully since the beginning remind our friends to use the spoiler tags... but some did leak out too... :ph34r: .      

Credit to the owner

Well, for sure we can still predict some of the parts ......since we are not 100% sure the writer will follow closely the original till the end..;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I find this drama hilarious enough to unwind after a day's work of noise & cacophony at school!  But seriously, equating this couple to real life is as incredible to believe as Kang Jeun's courtship of 15 years with her national swimmer boyfriend, Woo Shik in Oh My Venus :) 

How does one work for somebody for 9 years with no spark at all and suddenly act all foolish with attempted smooches thrown into the professional relationship?! Duh ...:w00t:

As an aside, I am a fan of Park Min Young though.  Loved her from Queen of 7 days & later in Healer.  She's a natural actress and draws the best out of her male leads :)

Edited by Naleeni Das
  • Like 7

Actually it's not too farfetched regarding lsy's projection of himself being in lyj's position..and actually believe that he was the victim

Different coping mechanisms...

And children n adults have been known to bury memories when their minds are still unable to cope with the trauma and the aftermath...

A child like solution would be "if I forget...my family would be "whole" again...."

And parents seeing this and believing that their child has a buried memory may not want to dig it up through therapy to allow their child to move on...

So this scenario is not entirely alien per se...

Of course now your heart breaks for lyj.. ..and his parents hearts will break when they find out that he didn't forget...

I like that his mom called mi-so out n thanked her for being by her son and it probably comforted her to hear that he was brave n kind in that terrible situation

Now of course his 9 years with kms...he was likely subconsciously already married to her...thats why the betrayal at the start that she didn't consider all those hours spent together as a life...lol

Now that scene when she first tied his tie...takes on a sweet poignancy...noticed he puffed his chest a little bit more when she was tying his tie...like a proud spouse:wub:

Love psj in this...he really is capturing all the nuances...

Like I said before...am not sure what pmy does...but the guys she acts with get more "namja" when they act opposite her....:wub:

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, mushforbrains said:

Now of course his 9 years with kms...he was likely subconsciously already married to her...thats why the betrayal at the start that she didn't consider all those hours spent together as a life...lol

Now that scene when she first tied his tie...takes on a sweet poignancy...noticed he puffed his chest a little bit more when she was tying his tie...like a proud spouse:wub:

I agree with you @mushforbrains... We just saw a flashback nine years ago. When he first saw her, he had the longing eyes just for her but sadly she did not remember him.  

Some people here question in the 9 years they worked together there was no spark, I myself choose to see it this way. Since we haven't seen all there years together we can't assume there was no spark.  I think he might have wanted to with her but couldn't quite get his "HiNTS" through the nine years. Like for example their fisrt meeting, she thought he was bragging about being the chairman son when it was the opposite. Both inexperienced in love we wouldn't know how to begin dating. Another example Asking if you ramen??? She had no idea the meaning behind it. LOL LOL  I felt after the first meeting, LYJ just kept up the image of being narcissistic with her and it became his image permanently.  

What do you guys think??? @nonski   @USAFarmgirl @bebebisous33 @SeGafanlady @Wotad @averia  @kaoriharang  @lolly84   

• Like 11
  • LOL 2