[Drama 2018] Familiar Wife, 아는 와이프

Go Seung Ji

Can't wait for them to meet again. The last fighting scene choked with emotions. The fight started with a game console, but haven't we fought over pettiest things before.  Ji sung emoted well.

I wonder how come he came back to the present but it was June 1st instead of August 29. What else has he changed beside a new wife, new life? Are there any butterfly effect?

Someone else has mentioned before the grass is always greener on the other side, but for now they seems to be better off without each other. Both smiles genuinely at the end of the episode.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay!!! Ratings have gone up! Ep 2 recorded a rating of 7% at its highest! And the preview of Ep 3 was at Top 2 and dropped to Top 3 as of just now.

UWVumR0.jpg

I feel so sorry for poor wife who struggles all alone. Am sure her struggles will resonate with many women audience, especially in a patriarchal society like Korea where many men are  “hands-off” when it comes to child-minding. The husband is too self-absorbed and immature at this point. The couple’s struggles with the difficult reality is palpable. Wife has lost her lively charm in the process and I really sympathize with her. Being a married woman with grown up children and having been through similar struggles juggling work and family (am happily married for many years), I am on the side of the wife :). But I can also see that in her struggles with the hard realities of caring for the children and worrying about money and her ailing mother, she has neglected to communicate and  connect with her husband. So she too contributed to the sad marital state they both are in.

From Ep 3 onwards we will get to see wife being so beautiful and leading a much better life after he made that “change” in his past! And that may be the beginning of growth and “transformation” of the husband. I think I am getting the message that Writer-nim is going to convey to men through this drama : that it is not so much about getting a “dream wife” but being a better person. Ji Sung said at the pre-broadcast Interview that he wants to tell JuHyeok to be a real man - think we will see the transformation of his character from a pathetic loser into a “real man”. I must say I am liking the premise of the drama!

Can’t wait to see how things will pan out for both of them!

I would like also to say that they chose the right actor for the role of JuHyeok. If there’s any Korean actor who can teach Korean men how to be a real man, that man has to be Ji Sung who has shown himself to be an exemplary husband and father!

RmWGH5z.jpg

I love all your evil laughs! :D

Update from soompi:

“Familiar Wife” Premieres With Solid Viewership Ratings

The new tvN drama “Familiar Wife” is off to a promising start!

After the premiere of the first episode of “Familiar Wife,” the drama was able to bring in an average viewership ratings of 4.7 percent nationwide, with a peak of 6.0 percent, according to Nielsen Korea.

Among those in tvN’s target audience of people aged 20 to 49, the drama achieved an average of 3.1 percent and peaked at 3.9 percent. These were the highest ratings among dramas airing at the same time.

“Familiar Wife” is a love story about how one decision can change a person’s destiny forever. The sentimental yet relatable romantic comedy stars Ji Sung as Cha Joo Hyuk, a man who gets pushed around by his wife at home and pushed around by his boss at work, and Han Ji Min as Seo Woo Jin, a weary working mother and Cha Joo Hyuk’s wife of five years.

The first broadcast of “Familiar Wife” explored the chaotic, but realistic relationship between the couple. The two spend each day as if in battle, constantly bickering and, for Woo Jin, exploding in rage. They portray the image of a real-life couple who are too busy to look back at each other due to the harsh realities of life.

Things begin to change as Joo Hyuk by chance meets his first love from his college days, Hye Won (Kang Han Na), while he handing fliers for his job as a bank teller. During their meeting, Hye Won utters the life-changing words, “I used to like you, remember?” Joo Hyuk begins to look back on his life from that time, and remembers that he had been on his way to meet Hye Won on the bus, but came to start a relationship with Woo Jin due to his fateful decision of protecting her from sexual harassment. That decision eventually led him to his marriage with Woo Jin.

Strange things begins to happen to Joo Hyuk, an average guy. After helping out an unknown man on the subway, he hands Joo Hyuk two coins. He takes a different route back home, and uses the coins he received from the man to go through the tollgate. Suddenly, he opens his eyes to wake up in his room from his college days, with his younger sibling Ju Eun (Park Hee Bon) nagging at him, just as she had 12 years ago. When he checks the calendar, it reads “June 2006.”

“Familiar Wife” will take over the time slot previously occupied by “What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim” at 9:30 p.m. KST. The drama will be available with English subtitles on Viki. Check out the premiere of “Familiar Wife” below!

“Familiar Wife” Surprises Viewers With Unexpected Plot Twist + Sees Ratings Boost

Just two episodes into its run, tvN’s new drama “Familiar Wife” has already managed to catch viewers off guard with a shocking twist!

The second episode of the drama, which aired on August 2, took first place in its time slot across all channels while enjoying an increase in viewership ratings from the premiere the night before. According to Nielsen Korea, the broadcast scored average ratings of 5.5 percent and a peak of 7.0 percent—impressive viewership ratings for the second episode of a drama airing on cable.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/08/02/familiar-wife-surprises-viewers-unexpected-plot-twist-sees-ratings-boost/

In addition to his wife, he has a sense of fear. The score of the drama is already a more terrifying contender than all the channels in this period. Ep 3 I hope the ratings are 8% in the first rank.

The end of a couple life, they both do not talk of each other's problems. It is sad. In fact, they are also in love with each other. Worried about their children.:bawling:

medium-clean.jpg

Upon further thoughts I realized that the time travel presented by Writer-nim is fascinating and poses quite a bit of mystery! This makes the drama a lot more intriguing than what I initially thought!

Alright, so this is the set-up. Bank clerk ChaJuHyeok and his wife SeoWooJin live a very difficult life with two young children - the kind of life that will make any normal person go bonkers: both are low wage employees and do not earn enough for their upkeep; they have no one to help look after their children; WooJin’s mother is suffering from the onset of Alzheimer’s. In other words, all the external circumstances are bad to the utmost extreme. WooJin develops anger management issues due to the breakdown of her coping mechanisms. JuHyeok is getting tired of his wife but is too afraid to even contemplate a divorce. 

But one day, after he attended the funeral of his colleague's mother, he suddenly entered a mysterious road and after passing the toll booth paid with a 2006 500won coin, he suddenly returned to 2006 which was 12 years ago! 

Just back to 2006, he was very unsure of himself and was unable to adapt to the sudden change. When he woke up, his sister came to deliver him food; he went out and was splashed by the ahjumma who was watering the plants. When he reached campus, he met to his first love HyeWon, and HyeWon asked him to go and watch a  concert with her. This is exactly the same as 12 years ago. After that, he was hit by a motorcycle and without any warning, he returned to 2018! 

Based on this, it was not clear as to what is the trigger for the time travel - though the hint of motorcycle accident is there. 

Let's sort out the timeline.

Starting from the first episode, first of all, at 4:15 pm on August 30, 2018 (Thursday), JuHyeok was instructed by his boss to attend the funeral wake of his colleague’s mother. On the way back, he went back to the past- the year 2006 - that was the morning of June 1, 2006. That same morning, he was hit by a motorcycle at school and he returned to 2018.

When he returned to 2018, it was morning and he asked his wife what time it was. His wife said that it was August 29, Wednesday.

Next, JuHyeok went on with his life on August 29th. On this day, in order to buy a game console, he made a mistake in relation to a customer’s ID.

We then come back again to August 30. In the morning, he was looking for a customer ID card to make up for yesterday’s mistake. That night, it rained heavily and when he got home, his wife found out about his game console and in a fit of anger over him using their tight finances to spend on his useless hobby, she soaked the game console in the bathtub. JuHyeok went berserk and they had a big fight.

Here comes the mystery!!!

After quarreling with his wife, JuHyeok remembered his colleague’s mother’s funeral wake and decided to call him to comfort him. He went to his colleague’s house and saw his mother still alive! 

It is here that I am utterly confused. Is this the new 2018? 

The wound that he found on his wrist, he didn’t know that it was there before but his good friend and colleague JoongHusaid it had always been there since he joined the bank. 

I am sure there is a logical thread through these events and timeline once we get through the drama. For now, it is fascinating how Writer-nim is going to tie all all these hints together.

To continue, after finding out that his colleague’s mother is still alive, JuHyeok decided to go to the toll booth again. As a result, he crossed back to 2006. This time, JuHyeok is mentally prepared! 

Drama now is back to June 1, 2006. This time, he avoided the ahjumma’s water splashing, agreed to a date with HyeWon and successfully escaped an accident with the motorcycle. When he witnessed the molest of his wife WooJin on the bus, he chose not to intervene. In this way, he finally got his date with his first love. After the concert, he and his first love even had their first kiss..

When JuHyeok woke up again this time, he found HyeWonlying next to him. 

So he was really happy! His wife has really changed! One thing that deserves attention is this ...the date this time is June 1 (Friday)...(I have checked and ascertained that 1 June 2018 is a Friday).

So yes, I have identified three time zones we are looking at. One is the time and space on June 1, 2006, the other is the time and space of JuHyeok and his wife WooJin in 2018, and the third is the time and space of JuHyeok and the new wife HyeWon...

Alright, I will leave all these thoughts here so that we can pick them up and piece them together as we watch the drama.

So joo hyuk already used all of the 2 coins given to him so he can't go back again. That is also my question, what triggers for him to go back to the present? Also, in the old present, his bank colleague/friend is married with twins. In the new 2018, it seems he is not married and will be liking woo jin? Why do i feel that the guy joo hyuk shoved in the taxi on meeting hye won is this friend of mine? Looking forward to next week:wub:

I'm the only one who finds this horrible choice :angry::blink:he made in perfect knowledge, he did not think about these children, it's really horrible, he knew that things were changed. I'm sure if he tries to get back to where he was on the first episode it will not be easy

I hope this drama also wake up call for man and woman in marriage that also starts to go downhill.  I think it happens in many dramas, communication is the key for all marriages. 

Also for those husband who hasnt realise, should start to help shoulder some responsibilities in the family.  Plus, couple should also make time and understanding, to have couple time and me time, as well as to try to understand why the partner behaved differently eg. anger due to pressure.  

Bwhaha meanwhile lets enjoy the what if and see how our husband here deal with the previous wife he used to know and his current wife that he used to know.  

Joo hyuk's 1st time travel is an accident, but the 2nd one, it is his choice and he pursued it. So whatever consequence his choice makes, it's his burden. He has change a lot of things on the present but at first, as we can see he is very happy knowing that it is hye won as his wife. I can't wait to see his realizations once he slowly sees what he has lost. One, it seems they are also married for long but they don't have children yet. Hye won's career must be her priority and not having children. At first, i don't think joo hyuk too sees woo jin as pretty since when hye won tell him that she's heard his wife is pretty, i dont think he agreed lol. His definition of beauty revolves around hye won only. Now at the new present, he will surely realize what beauty woo jin has. And i can't wait for those jealousies and regrets. Serves him right lol can't wait for wednesday:wub:

The face of success.:D

imageproxy.jpg

Credit picture randomlee

Behind the confusing past.:P

Untitled.png

The foreground of success in transition from the past to the present must be redeemed for the loss. It's like fate, haunting him. Because of all his actions. He seems to be happy in the way he dreams. But it looks like the more confusing. At present, he can be solved now or not. Excited about the confrontation with his ex-wife. Not too long to wait.:wub:

This fictional husband is lucky for now.  Can experience 2 different wives. :D

Waiting next week for many laugh out loud.

Miss Koala commented on the ratings of Familiar Wife.  She thinks it is leading to good run. :)

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/08/02/knowing-wife-premieres-around-5-ratings-but-dear-judge-still-leads-the-wed-thurs-time-slot/

Ah... at episode 2, an observation

Spoiler

Credit to author

His actions changed the lives of others around him. His sister got married, his bank friend is single now. I wonder if WJ's dad is still alive.

According to the preview, JH is going to consumate his relationship with his new wife. Not sure how I feel about it. Hope for a possible interruption.:sweatingbullets: during his sexy times. I can't wait for next week. It'd be interesting if his new life is rosy and all that he hopes for, but yet he still yearns for his familiar wife. I love to see more interactions among our 4 leads. JH's bff seems like a cahoot, he might match well with the cheery yet fiesty WJ

5 hours ago, marrez1 said:

I'm the only one who finds this horrible choice :angry::blink:he made in perfect knowledge, he did not think about these children, it's really horrible, he knew that things were changed. I'm sure if he tries to get back to where he was on the first episode it will not be easy

It was a horrible, selfish choice.  I thought he might change things accidentally without really knowing what he was doing or what the results might be, and that would have been a way to go, but I actually like that he did it deliberately. I don't mind if characters are unlikable and make horrible choices as long as there are consequences and they regret and grow, and I think we are going to see that. 

To me the theme for this drama is, Is the grass really greener on the other side?"

From the very beginning, this was a hard watch. It was so stressful watching CJH and his wife navigate the perils of being a working couple and having two small children. I will say this. Being working parents is hard, and it can only work if BOTH parents are committed to sharing the responsibilities and making it work.

So we get this stressful glimpse of them in the throes of parental hell and marital misery. It wasn't until the flashback of how they met and how he messed up his opportunity with the violinist that it became clear that he is feeling like he made a mistake in the past. Maybe this chance meeting with the weird gentleman from the train is his way to right a past mistake. Will he really be happy with the violinist? She seems to be from a wealthier background and is focused on her music career. So, the likelihood of her settling into being this housewife is not very likely. One thing I found compelling was how CJH always blamed his wife, his boss or his friends for different things that happened to him. He needs to take accountability for his own actions. A lot of his trials were of his own making. Even in college, he was a mess. Always late. Living in filth. Aloof. Even when he helped out his wife on the bus when she got groped by that guy, he stood by and allowed it to turn into this hours long ordeal with them at the police station and him standing up the violinist, who decided that he wasn't worth it after he stood her up.

So, even in the present, he doesn't see how passing off work to the young rookie in the bank would backfire. He doesn't realize that because he is so focused on pleasing his bosses, he is literally spending zero time with his family. His wife is overworked and stretched thin. Besides the beginning sequence when they were trying to get the baby to stop crying, I didn't see him spend any time with his kids. It is clear why his wife isn't quite feeling him. However, she does have anger issues. Yelling and cursing out your spouse in public is just tacky and uncalled for. Also, the flashback to when he worked as her tutor and then her father passed away. I get the feeling she was a daddy's girl who was very spoiled and got her way, and CJH was something else that she wanted that she eventually got. However, he doesn't spoil her or cater to her like her father did probably.

This is definitely an interesting story, and I can't wait to see what twists and turns we get next week. Your thoughts familiar chingusss???

@nubianlegalmindsame familiar thoughts here chinggu:D both of them definitely contributed to the kind of state they were in but it is mostly the lack of help from cjh reason why swj is having that kind of meltdown. As someone mentioned here, korea is more of a patriarchal structure. Men only needs to provide and mending the kids, helping at home has always been the wife's responsibility. That should have been the case if only swj is only a stay at home mom but she is not. The added pressure is she is also working and they have 2 very small kids who needs outmost attention. Add in the problem of the worsening condition of swj's mom. SWJ feels that she is not getting any help which is really the case. While submerging the playstation console is definitely not the right thing lol, it only shows the frustration of swj with cjh attending to his needs first before his family. CJH thought that a dream wife, fabulous life is what his life needs. He is very wrong. In this drama, memories will play an important role. As they say, sometimes memories is more powerful than love. The memories cjh shared with his familiar wife will always haunt him lol. That will be his curse bwahahaha:lol:

Archived