[Drama 2018] Familiar Wife, 아는 와이프

Go Seung Ji

Well, the drama maybe over but this is certainly one that I will watch again. But please allow me to share my review on this one.

I have mixed feelings about this. I have enjoyed the acting, and the comedic scenes as well. The production was also good. But I was really disappointed with the story. Maybe it's just me but I notice that dramas in TVN do not dig deeply into the characters, and the story as a whole. I found the story good until episode 11. Then it went downhill after that. Episode 15 was a waste of time, and the finale was really lackluster. I felt the same way for What's Wrong With Secretary Kim. So far, the only K - drama I watched that had a strong finale was Queen For Seven Days. 

I was disappointed because the story had so much potential. For me the plot was really convenient to the characters. There were no really serious challenges for them, no serious conflict after episode 11, and a little bit of saving grace for Cha Joo Hyuk in the end. As something that is more of an adult love story, this drama turned out to be immature, run-off-the-mill love story. Maybe it was good for the ratings, but I felt that the story failed to reach its full potential. I think it would have been better if they went back to timeline one, and fixed all the problems there. A story about love, resolve, and a family overcoming against all the odds in the end would have been a more compelling, and would have more impact to the audience. Regarding the plot, I think it would have been more dramatic if Seo Woo Jin from timeline two would merge with her timeline one version, i.e. when she and Joo Hyuk woke up again in the first timeline, she would have the feelings and memories of her timeline one version. Then, having learned from their mistakes, they would have finally found the resolve and determination to fix their marriage and their problems as a couple. Their past experiences could have also made their love for each other stronger and in the end, they overcome all odds and have a happy ending they deserved. This could be shown through a time-skip similar to the episode 16 were they live a happy and prosperous lives, Seo Woo Jin gets a better job, better if she eventually gets hired at KCU, Sang Sik and Jeo Eun eventually gets married, albeit later, and the finale is basically the same as that of the last episode. Yes, Woo Jin's mom would have disappeared in timeline one, coz she also time travelled, but I think the writers can make her come back in the final episode for a happy reunion. This is a fantasy drama so, with regards to the plot, the writers had a big leeway on creativity. 

Regarding to the characters, Seo Woo Jin's character lacked depth. Though it was a great character, with a big heart and overwhelming optimism for the most part,  I still found her character somewhat falling short in delivering the story. Basically, she still turned out to be the typical heroine. Don't get me wrong, Han Ji Min did a great job portraying her. She is a great actress after all, and she is one of my favorites. But her character in Rooftop Prince, Park Ha was so much better. Maybe Han Ji Min was limited by the script. The only remarkable thing that I saw in Seo Woo Jin's character is her finally taking charge of their unusual situation, and deciding to change the past for herself in order to save their love. The unexpected runaway star would be Joong Hoo. Jang Seung Jo did a good job on this one. As for Cha Joo Hyuk, I think the character really connected with the audiences. The character was well fleshed out, and has depth. He is your everyday salary man, the average Joe, he even doesn't have any swagger. We see the frailties of a man in him. Then he gets overwhelmed, gives up, basically used an ex deux machina as a way out, but realizes that he really made a mistake. Kudos to him for making the right choice in the end. The character that was really unexplored and the writers failed to bring to life is Hye Won. They did not even gave her any single redeeming quality. I think that she deserves more positive treatment. After all she is not really, inherently bad; she was just a spoiled rich kid.

Well, TLDR, although I was disappointed with the drama, I still enjoyed it. I would also like to add that this drama has great OSTs, especially Love Me Again. When I will have free time, I will watch this again. Have a great day everyone.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

I love everything in this drama. The actors/actresses were all great. Ji Sung and Han Ji Min's chemistry was awesome. Hope to see them again in another project. while watching this drama i tend not to expect too much and yet it get me hooked till the end. I've enjoyed a lot. It has played my emotions too. Some scenes mirrored my experience and darn bullseye it HIT me! :skull:

I loved this drama from beginning to end.  All the loose ends were tied, and in this time line, HJ and WJ learned how to cope as a married couple.  WJ still has a temper; however, now HJ knows how to handle it.  In real life we do not get a do over; however, HJ was presented with the opportunity and it was a learning lesson. He thought if he did not marry WJ, their lives would be easier, only to find out, you cannot cheat destiny.  Great writing, acting and directing.  The chemistry between Ji Sung (whom I have liked since I saw him in Kim Soo Ro) and Ha Ji Min ( I've loved her acting since she starred in Yi San), was awesome.  Both are veteran actors and played their roles well.  I loved the supporting actors also, working together all made the drama a success.

Most of all, I enjoyed your posts and will miss you and Familiar Wife.  I hope to read your posts, insights and discussions on future dramas.

@jabberwockzero it will be a bit hard for both woo jin and joo hyuk to be happy in the original timeline. Getting married early, woo jin not having a good job, mom's sickness, etc. I still believe the 3rd timeline is the best timeline for them. The only downside is woo jin does not have the memories of their 12 years together but they can always have more memories since they have chosen to be with each other:D

@capricorni same here. Looking forward to ji min's new drama. See you all there once a thread is already made:wub:

@jabberwockzero, i think that is precisely what the ending of the show is trying to convey.  Time to time we do hear Woo Jin mentioned about the past.  And Joo Hyuk reminded her that they should look forward to the future and create the memories together.

Although this is fantasy but if translated in real life, it is so true.  Sometimes we just so caught up with the past that we cannot move on and may always dwell on it and unhappy about it.  We should just use the past as a memory or lesson and move forward to make things better in future.

Regarding Joo Hyuk not feeling anything for the children... i think it is the same as he just dump his wife by not meeting her.  He did feel remorseful when he realised.  But this should  not be the reason for him to time jump back to "save" the children if he is not clear whether he really want to live with his wife.

The beauty of time travel is the children just non existence unless he married his wife again and give birth to them again.  Hee!

Overall as mentioned in dramabeans:

Such a sweet, simple ending for a sweet, simple show. Life goes on and love continues, as Joo-hyuk and Woo-jin make the decision each and every day to cherish and support each other. They really did end up in the best of all possible timelines, but it was never because of how they changed the past — it’s how they live now and in the future that matters.

the show is all driven by characters and i love all of them so much. :wub:

@Carmarie Hi. I am replying you late. I'm sorry. So I read your post. I felt so emotional. I read the words,

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, Carmarie said:

There is definitely room for you here.

I think you are so kind. I think, "We don't know how we change people's lives." Well, I believe you changed mine. I believe you changed mine with those words, I asked, "Is she/he an angel?" And I agree with you on Ji Sung. I haven't seen The Defendant. My last Ji Sung drama was Kill Me Heal Me. I am so sad. I think I should have watched his other works. I watched the first episode of this drama. And I loved it! I said, "I remember why I like Ji Sung so much." I love his acting. I think he acts with a BIG heart :). I think he's handsome. I think he's talented. Well, you look very passionate about this drama! I read your thoughts on the episodes, and I read your other thoughts. I wish I could reply you. I have a lot to add. I have a lot to add because I think you are amazing! I like the way you say things. I wish we could watch this drama together. I hope Ji Sung's drama does well. I  just want the best for him. I think he worked so hard in Kill Me Heal Me. And I think he deserved the highest award for that! And he's one of my favorite actors. So I will put the rest under a spoiler.

Spoiler

I don't like ignoring anyone. Do you like being ignored? I don't. I read your post to me. I felt shy. I asked, "Why is she so nice to me." And I thought, "She typed a really amazing post to me." and I thought, "She told me her feelings about this drama." I felt so blessed. So I don't think I'm the only one going through something like this. I am really depressed and unhappy right now. I wish I could enjoy this with you. I don't know when I'm going to come back to soompi. I'm taking a break. I hope I see you in other threads someday. I hope we can discuss this drama together someday. Please, don't ever change. I think you are so kind. Thank you. You are so kind...I think I'll say that to you 100000000000000000 times. May God bless you :).

Spoiler

I haven't watched all the episodes. I ask, "Is the drama already finished? And I'm so proud of Ji Sung. I'm happy he's returned :). I can't wait for his next works.

Edit:

Spoiler

Please don't think, "I have to respond to her today!" I don't think you should respond. I think you should respond if you want to.

@2handsintertwined

Thank you for responding to me.  It is my opinion that we all do not have to think and feel the same way on any topic.  All sincere and  respectful opinions are welcomed.  Who knows when someone will post something that will change one's way of thinking.  

May God bless you and keep you.  I do hope that you will finish watching familiar wife.  I think the ending, though it could have been better, will satisfy you.

I hope to meet you again while watching a further drama.  I used to watch K-dramas every night; however, I have cut back my watching to two dramas a week.  I am now watching Devilish Joy and Mr. Sunshine.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, Carmarie said:

Thank you for responding to me.  It is my opinion that we all do not have to think and feel the same way on any topic.  All sincere and  respectful opinions are welcomed.  Who knows when someone will post something that will change one's way of thinking.  

You're welcome. And thank you :wub: I understand what you're saying. And I agree with everything you said. So I don't what to say. I think your words are so beautiful. Why? I think a lot of people feel unhappy or other bad feelings. I wish someone could say this to them. I think your words are very deep. I think you took a lot of care with them. I think you asked a very important question. I'm going to repeat what you said, "Who knows when someone will post something that will change one's way of thinking." Can I add something? I think this part could be for anyone. I think it could be for any race, cultural background, and social background. I think it could be for someone with a disability. I wish I could answer your question. I hope someone does.

May God bless you and keep you.  I do hope that you will finish watching familiar wife.  I think the ending, though it could have been better, will satisfy you.

I think this is so sweet. Thank you. So you think the ending could have been better? Well, I will keep that in mind. I am going to finish it. You said you think the ending will satisfy me. Wow. I think you're making me feel embarrassed!

I hope to meet you again while watching a further drama.  

Is that how you really feel? Well, now I'm feeling emotional. I think you're so sweet. I hope so too, sweetie.

I used to watch K-dramas every night; however, I have cut back my watching to two dramas a week.  I am now watching Devilish Joy and Mr. Sunshine

So you used to watch K-dramas every night. And you cut back to watching two dramas a week. Ok. I understand :). So you watching Devilish Joy and Mr. Sunshine? Well, I haven't seen Devilish Joy, and I watched a little of Mr. Sunshine. I hope you enjoy both of those dramas :). So I don't think you should reply this. Why? I don't want to waste your time. And I said I was getting emotional. So now I'm getting sad. I should put that under the spoiler, right? Well, please be well

Image result for kill me heal me shin se gi gif

credit to owener (Shin Se Gui, Kill Me Heal Me).

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/10/han-ji-min-talks-about-how-she-wants-to-have-a-family-like-ji-sung

Han Ji Min talks about how she wants to have a family like Ji Sung

han-ji-min,ji-sung

Han Ji Min praised actor Ji Sung.

On October 11, the first episode of KBS2 'Happy Together' season 4 welcomed Han Ji Min as the guest and Hwang Min Hyun and Ji Sang Yul as the special MCs. 

During the show, Jin Sang Yul asked Han Ji Min, "Who's the actor that you had the best chemistry with?" Han Ji Min replied, "I am very lucky when it comes to partners. If I had to choose only one then it's Ji Sung sunbaenim who I recently worked with." 

She explained, "His eye pupils are big like a puppy. He has pretty eyes and he also has a pure heart."

Han Ji Min added, "What I admire the most about Ji Sung sunbaenim is that he tries his best as an actor, and he's also the perfect husband and the perfect dad," and said, "He made me want to have a family like his."

han-ji-min_1539277013_jm.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived