[Drama 2018] Familiar Wife, 아는 와이프

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The grass is greener, but now there is a hell of a water bill!

So, CJH has changed his life. New wife. New house. New reputation. No kids. However, his wife comes off a little Stepford-ish. He has changed places with his friend as far as luck. His sister is married to his best friend. And now his supervisor loves him simply because his father-in-law runs the bank they work at.

Perception is a funny thing because it can truly cloud the facts. The fact is, he hasn't seen or spent time with his mother because his wife can't be inconvenienced in any way. She has the power to not be inconvenienced because she has money. Whereas when he was married to WJ, her comfort didn't enter his thoughts. Right away we see HW getting exactly what she wants. She doesn't want to travel to Daejoon or have to stay in his mom's smaller place. She clearly doesn't want to have kids. She doesn't want to live off of her husband's income, I mean talk about the tables being turned. Sure, she can acquiesce to his playing video games in the corner because she doesn't have to compromise on much more important issues. JH just doesn't see it yet. 

Also, I don't see HW as the second lead. She was just another choice. She isn't competing with WJ for JH. HW represents the illusion of the "perfect wife". However, that pendulum swings both ways. JH seems stunned at how WJ looks and acts. Yes, that is what it looks like when you aren't trapped in a dead end life. When you get to pursue your goals and dreams and take good care of yourself. WJ is strong and assertive but she isn't overbearing. She clearly has a soft spot for her mother and is very much into being healthy. It is also not missed on me that JH got the healthy breakfast before he left home because HW doesn't work and isn't bogged down with kids. Even his sister got a breather by her hubby taking the baby to visit his mom. 

As for the office antics, some of it was quite funny. However, the situation with the rookie is bad management. If that young guy is taught and trained well, he can do the work. The problem is he doesn't care. He doesn't care about doing his job right or well and truthfully that needs to be addressed. I think WJ will be the one to set him straight.

5 hours ago, randomlee said:

These were also his musings in the bathtub hehe..Re the bathtub scene, I must say that the director is very good at giving us JH as an ordinary, simple man and not your kceleb hunk (secretly wondering if Ji Sung temporally stopped his body building to give a realistic portrayal for this drama :D.

I love that instead of the usual k-drama gratuitous showers of angst we are getting kind of pitiful bathtub scenes lol.

The new wife is very spoiled. I don't know that she will be portrayed as a villain. She's not a "dream" wife that's for sure but there is no such thing and every marriage is going to have it's own problems. JH thought a new wife and money would make him happy, but he's already comparing his new life to his old. 

O MY GOD I’m totally hooked to this drama :joy:

love the storyline made by the gifted writer i guess, love all the actors even the guest actors :D love the setting (finally kdrama got set an office theme, i mean close to the realistic one), love the director, and last but not least love the production crew (beautiful cinematography of course made by them and good choice of music or ost)! Someone posted this, and i like it!

i  just can’t get enough after watching the 4th episode :rolleyes:

It keeps getting better n better. :lol:

And this one is so hilarious :joy: 

At the end of Ep 4, Woo jin asked or said something about her and him, I guess she might ask. Have we ever known? Oh!! More fun There are so many things I do not understand. I have to wait for translation, maybe more understanding.:D

fw2.png

Looking Woo Jin goes to work with a happy, confident smile made me believe that her biggest dream is not to become someone's wife :lol: She wanted it just because it was you, Joo Hyuk. However, I don't think she meant it at the first time she talked to him. From that point of view, I do believe that  Woo Jin considered it as a sacrifice to give up her career. But I don't know she really wanted to do it or the circumstances made her have no choice. Well, whatever it was, Woo Jin probably felt extremely regret at every single moments she was disappointed in Joo Hyuk. She put all her life, her hope, her joy on him. Therefore, she always feel unsatisfied while he always feel burdensome.

Just by looking at the preview, this is really getting better and better which means it is more torturous to wait lol. The writer is really good, she never disappoints. The subs are out. Time to watch first:wub:

Episode 4 is the best episode ever:wub: i think i will watch it a couple of times lol i can't get enough of it. This drama is so heart warming. That is why i love the writer:wub:

The ratings are more satisfying. I hope the score will improve in the next episode:D

Untitled.png.png

Untitled.png.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Familiar_Wife

“Familiar Wife” Achieves Personal Best In Viewership Ratings

Aug 10, 2018
by kminjungee

tvN’s “Familiar Wife” has achieved its best ratings so far!

The drama premiered on August 1 and has steadily been bringing in higher ratings every broadcast.

It surpassed the 6.0 percent mark with its August 9 episode, with Nielsen Korea recording an average of 6.2 percent nationwide and a peak at 8.3 percent for the drama. This is notably the drama’s highest average viewership so far, and it was first in its time slot across all channels.

Seo Woo Jin (Han Ji Min) began working at the same bank as Cha Joo Hyuk (Ji Sung) during the August 9 broadcast. Living in a changed reality due to his own actions, Cha Joo Hyuk didn’t know how to act around his wife, who not only didn’t remember him, but seemed to be a completely different person altogether.

He felt conflicted as well when he saw her getting closer to Yoon Jong Hoo (Jang Seung Jo) despite not being married to Seo Woo Jin in this reality. However, Seo Woo Jin also began to feel like something was off due to a slip-up on Cha Joo Hyuk’s part.

“Familiar Wife” airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 9:30 p.m KST. 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1212835wpp/familiar-wife-achieves-personal-best-viewership-ratings

Best ratings so far because last night was the best episode yet:wub: every episode is so much fun and exciting. Waiting for wednesday is a lot more torture now lol

since woo jin and her ex sister in law is now friends, i can't wait to see her visit their noodle shop and have joo hyuk see her there. The best scenario is for woo jin to get a glimpse of their child and for joo hyuk to realize how much woo jin had sacrificed for their children and yet he neglected them for his own selfish decision. It will be so touching i guess. This drama gets better and better. Han ji min is at her best as woo jin:wub:

[Knowing Wife] Ep 4 Han Ji Min's mother meets Ji Sung and recognizes him as her son-in-law

Posted on Thursday, August 9, 2018

know.png

Article: Naver 'Knowing Wife' Ji Sung Han Ji Min.. their lives has changed, but fate cannot be stopped

• Lee Hye Won (Kang Han Na) meets the guy she met and quickly hides her ring when he asks her out for a meal. 
  • Cha Joo Eun (Park Hee Von), Cha Joo Hyuk (Ji Sung)'s sister, meets Seo Woo Jin (Han Ji Min) and they find each other very familiar without having to meet each other before. 
  • Seo Woo Jin has dreams about her old life. She asks Joo Hyuk if he knew her. 
  • Woo Jin's mother (Lee Eun Jung) came and calls Joo Hyuk her son-in-law. 

1. [+1833,-49]
Really very interesting. ㅜㅜ The acting, casts, script, they're all good. Really.

2. [+1187,-15]
Son-in-law Cha, goosebumps!!!

3. [+939,-11]
As expected, Haman-daek [Lee Jung Eun's role in Mr Sunshine] knows.

4. [+805,-34]
This is really interesting, but the main point of the drama seems to be that if you have a baby, that's the end of your life.

5. [+707,-20] 
Think from Hye Won's point of view. Will you feel comfortable when your in-laws come? 
You'd feel uncomfortable. This is Joo Hyuk's fault. Look. As soon as she went inside her son's house, she opens his fridge and criticized her daughter-in-law's side dishes and nag her to clean up... To put nicely, Seo Woo Jin is kind, and she lives stupidly. She pleases them, bows them to them and accommodates to them. Before mother-in-law comes, daughters-in-law have so much to do. They clean the house, get groceries, make food... I hope Cha Joo Hyuk sees the current Seo Woo Jin and regrets it.

6. [+567,-24]
I got goosebumps near the ending at, "Son-in-law Cha"

7. [+421,-18] 
Please don't let him be with Han Ji Min or Kang Han Na. He totally has this Joseon's old-fashioned way of thinking. Only his parents and himself are pitiful. He's selfish. He's a human that makes women unhappy. Please show filial piety to your parents on your own.

8. [+308,-10]
I can understand Kang Han Na's actions too.

cr

Guest ireumimolla

Phew I’m so happy about the ratings!!! It’s even more heartening because I don’t see much promotion at all by TvN for this drama as some of you have mentioned earlier. The tvN YouTube channel only uploads like 3(!!!) measly videos per episode excluding the previews, which is much less than Sec Kim previously:( Come on tvN! You’re sleeping on this drama!

Anyway, some thoughts on Eps 3-4:

- I don’t like that they’re making Hye-won go down the having an affair route. Wanted Joo-Hyuk to slowly realise his own shortcomings and how much happier he and Woojin can be if they’d just not let small problems build over the years without needing an external factor (JH’s wife in alternate timeline having an affair)

- I love all the office shenanigans :D

- Enjoying jealous JH when he sees his friend and Woojin hitting it off

- Han Ji Min is reaaaallly pretty (same thought every time new Woojin appears onscreen lol)

- Happy Joohyuk’s actions and squeals at the start of episode 3 reminded of Ahn Yo-Na from KMHM (don’t tell me I’m the only crazy one?!:lol:)

- Got slight chills when WJ’s mother called JH her Son-in-law at the end of ep 4. Wondering if it’s part of the fantasy element taking place or just her Alzheimer’s making her say something ridiculous?

Coming in to give my take on Ep 4.

What struck me in Ep 4 is the question what each has gained or lost in the What If. For Ju Hyeok, the “What If He Had Married His First Love instead” meant the following- he would have gained material wealth (big house and car), reputation (because of his connection to the JK Group CEO, his colleagues in the bank looked up to him as he has the power to help them when needed) and personal freedom (he can afford the money and time to play his PlayStation games).

But what has he lost? He lost self-respect due to the incompatibility of their background. His family also lost the respect and regard they deserved. There is also a complete lack of understanding of each other (including needs and habits etc) and their family members due to the incompatibility in their background. 

As for Woo Jin, the “What If She Was Not Married” has got a lot more positives than negatives. We see her regaining her self confidence and self worth. Her spunk, feistiness and resilience manifest in positive ways to make her really charming as opposed to being a harassed, disheveled mother who has had no time at all for self-grooming. What has she lost? I see only her elusive childhood dream of being married with lots of kids. 

I am enjoying the drama a lot but I must say it does pain me a little to see Ji Sung’s character being quite a weakling. Korean audience don’t use drama characters’ names when it comes to making comments about the drama. Even for media articles, it is more common to use the actors’ real names. So haha..poor Ji Sung. He has become, “why is he like that?” 

50 minutes ago, ireumimolla said:

- Got slight chills when WJ’s mother called JH her Son-in-law at the end of ep 4. Wondering if it’s part of the fantasy element taking place or just her Alzheimer’s making her say something ridiculous?

Me too. It’s a sad reminder that while she could recognize her SIL instantly despite suffering from Alzheimer’s, he had been too busy to even know what has been happening to her. When he heard from Woo Jin that her mom had not been well, poor man did feel really guilt stricken about how little he knew what was happening in WJ’s life.

On a brighter note, the office shenanigans is hilarious! That part about Woo Jin being mistaken to be sobbing her heart out when she was busy chowing down her sandwich was so funny! And did the team leader spit into the cup of water before passing it to Woo Jin to give to that lunatic customer? :rolleyes:

Now, have to wait patiently for next week. Ep 5 looks really fun and I am confident  Drama will do even better! 

Love the ost - SF9’s Love Me Again, so I decided to look up the lyrics. Here’s my translation. The song is the voice of Joo Hyeok to Woo Jin. Oooooh.. so much feeeels in the lyrics.

Sometimes I follow the moonlight
Hollowed mind

가려버린 너를 보는 시선들
Looking at your hidden sight

알 수 없는 미로 속 느낌들
Unable to know the feeling of getting lost

몰랐어 나 자신도 
I don’t even understand myself

서로 다른 세상에 올 때까지
Until I come to this different world

내가 아는 너는 누굴까
The You whom I know - who are you? 

그런 슬픈 눈빛 너였나
Those sad eyes - Is that you?

밀려드는 감정 속에 날
Those feelings that overcame me

어렴풋이라도 알아줘
Even if it is hazy, still, let me know

Love me again

이젠 알 수 있을 것만 같은데
Now I seem to understand

또 다시 널 가질 순 없을까 
Still, am I able to have you again?

알겠어 네 곁에 선
Standing by your side, I understand now

어린 감정 속에 갇혀 있던 날
The days when I was immersed in feelings

내가 아는 너는 누굴까
The you whom I know- who will that be

그런 슬픈 눈빛 너였나
Those sad eyes, it’s really you

밀려드는 감정 속에 날
Those feelings that overcame me 

너의 마음 속에 가둬줘
Because I am imprisoned in your heart

Sad times in pain
Dreamed of you and me
I’m fine feel right
Here I am my love 
Love me again

Love me again

그토록 갖고 싶던 그 웃음
That smile that I want to have

빛처럼 눈이 부신 너의 모든 것들
All of your being shine brightly 

천 걸음 멀어져 깨달아
I only began to understand after this long journey 

난 아직 널 사랑한다는 걸
That actually I still love you

Love me again

Not sure if it was mentioned the years joo hyuk and hye won was married. Since as joo hyuk's parents said, they have only seen or visited their house twice so that says a lot. Their families are of different level so it is understandable that both are not comfortable with being each other. I wonder how woo jin treats her in laws before. It is not being shown yet but since she is of the same level with joo hyuk since her father died, i bet she is close to them. Just like how it is shown that she instantly got close with her sister in law. I think she will be a regular of their bar which will not be a good thing for joo hyuk lol. he wants to get rid of her but fate will keep them close together. It is really getting interesting. I hope more ost's, bts. Come on tvn do your job as the casts are doing an awesome job and getting good ratings:wub:

5 hours ago, randomlee said:

And did the team leader spit into the cup of water before passing it to Woo Jin to give to that lunatic customer? :rolleyes:

You notice that too :lol: i'm pretty sure he did that (You can even hear something drip to the cup if you volume up to the max:D). here's the screencap.

H3i1Mvv.png

This scene though so funny:joy: (the wife's revenge, I guess many people have done that)

SF9 Love Me Again song fits perfectly with this drama. Ep 4 was wonderful. I love how Woo Jin is so spunky, and outspoken in this new present. No matter how Joo Hyuk tried to avoid her, I can see that he still very much interest in her. He kept stealing glances at her, and how he spoke up about her love for strawberry. They had sweet memories together.

I am still going to hold out on Hye Won is not a villian or a cheater. She is vain and very selfish. We can see this during her interactions with her in laws. People were saying that Joo Hyuk was inconsiderate to his wife, but if she really loves him. She would put up with his parents for a day. How bad can it be? Also I disliked how she rubbed it in Joo Hyuk's face that he is poor and if he doesn't like he can give everything back. It is true but you don't have to say it. I think Hye Won chose Joo Hyuk not because of love, but because of his dedications to her, or she was in love with the idea.  I suspect that Woo Jin is closed to her in laws. They spent money to his and her parents during their marriage.

I do like Woo jin chemistry with Jong Hoo not romantically but more of a bff in the making.

A few episode 4 thoughts...

WJ is awesome at her job! It is not easy dealing with difficult customers and she dealt with the bank lunatic quite well. I despised how the branch manager handled it. You back up your worker when they are right. Quite frankly, that guy posting lies all over their website is defamation, which is against the law. Once again, bad management, and this led to WJ having to bow and apologize to that idiot. Ridiculous!

I really enjoyed watching WJ and JH's sister connect. I bet even in their old life, they got along well. His sister is a little self-deprecating, but she is honest and usually honest people are easier to get along and communicate with. I imagine in the past, his sister had to stay in Daejoon to help take care of his parents since she was single then.

The biggest takeaway is the situation between HW and JH's parents. Okay, I get it. She came home and unexpectedly found her in-laws there. Usually DILs are expected to wait on their in-laws hand and foot. It was already late, so cooking was out of the question, but there is basic decency and respect. Of course, I am talking from the point of view of a spinster myself. However, if I was married to the man I love and respect, and his parents dropped in [and I hadn't seen them in a while and his parents hardly ever do this], I would've been happy to see them. She could've ordered takeout, but promised to prepare something for them at another time. I would've made sure they were comfortable. Let them watch their favorite program. Get them something to drink and cut up some fruit. Here, let me rub your feet. Ask how they are fairing and have they been walking around all day. This is basic decency and respect to the parents of my husband. That was so difficult to watch how she treated them and then try to smooth things by offering to put them up in a hotel.

I saw comments from netizens who took her side by painting her as the poor treated unfairly DIL. This was not it. Sure, his mother criticized the spoiled side dishes, but what was missed was that she looked in the fridge hoping to cook something for them. Yet, HW fully expects JH to spend EVERY weekend with her parents. Not only is this unfair, but it is cruel. It was in poor taste for her to announce to his parents that they weren't wasting money because her mother pays for the maid and groceries. That is not love. HW married a guy she liked that she could control, because let's face it. Had she married someone of her stature and wealth, she would be looked down upon. She is a failed musician who, no matter how much money she had, could not buy her way into an orchestra because she was just that bad. Clearly, her teaching isn't great either if the students refer to her as doing it as a hobby. To another wealthy family, she would be nothing to brag about, and she would be expected to do things as well. HW is just SELFISH and only thinks of herself. The grass isn't greener, and JH is finding this out in a big way. I also noticed, he is spending less and less time at home. He is a fixture at his sister's noodle shop and he is constantly working late. Same life, different roles. 

Archived