Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Go Go Squid! 亲爱的热爱的

On 8/4/2019 at 5:47 PM, lclarakl said:

For me, the only thing that I truly hate in this drama is the ending as it relates to their championship win. I wanted to see some of the completion and the strategy they worked on. I wanted to see the guy who thought he wouldn't be able to plan in the tournament, play in replace of Grunt. I wanted to see those details. It's a shame those scenes were left out.

One other thing I hated--all those freaking flashbacks that I think took up half the episodes and so unnecessary. It was due to flashbacks that we missed the championship...something we've looking forward to the entire drama and they didn't show it.

Other than that--such a cute drama; definitely a repeat watch again--several repeats.

same....really want to see some of those strategy games.....they focus so much on the r/s which of course is good :) however really love to see some of those strategy they  had that push them for the win

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:48 AM, Lululililululu said:

In regards to Dt story, lack of world championship,  etc.... perhaps this blog post will help clarify some things that the MBFB intended for the series..scroll down a bit past the cast announcements....https://hui3r.wordpress.com/2018/03/19/go-go-squid-cast-announcement-for-dt-solo-and-xiao-mi/

From what I read it looks like originally MBFB intended the story to be two parts... first will be GGS and second Sealed Chamber. IMO the second part might not happen because they censored the whole counterstrike/ first person shooting game and that's what tempest chamber was all about.  I feel bad for MBFB cuz I think having all those elements banned really ruined the flow of the series, especially the last few episodes.  So I doubt she would want to do that again honestly.  

In regards to Gun and TN relationship...I like the drama depiction more.... in the drama,  I feel that Gun is more human and realistic than the novel. I also like that he tells TN how he feels and not just think in his head all those thoughts. One of the things I didn't like about the novel is how clueless TN seems of Guns feelings and how much her world only revolves around him...I love that in the drama, Gun is the one who told her that he's learning to be a better person and that she had to have get own thoughts,  etc. The relationship in the drama,  I think,  is a lot more balanced than in the book.  

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't care about TN clothes at all. Lol. The clothes, pink, etc never bothered me and I think it's kinda cute. And I don't mind that they didn't go with the novel about the whole sexier clothes, mini skirts, etc...cuz firstly they'll never make it through censor if it's too obvious and secondly I never get the feeling that the reason Gun is into her is cuz of TN figure, like in the book.  Reads well as a book, but showing onscreen may not be as appropriate. I think the evolution of Guns feelings for TN is much better depicted in the drama than compared to the book,  which I really appreciate. 

All in all, I love this drama adaptation and I think it's one of the better ones. Even Love 020 I loved the book more.  This one I can say that I like the drama more,  except for the fact that they had the gaming censored.  If they were able to keep all those parts, it would definitely be an A+ but now due to weird editing and WAY too many flashbacks at the end it's a very high B++ for me. And will definitely be a drama I'll binge watch all the time!  Also I love Li Xian and can't wait for his other projects coming up! 

I'm with you in this. I like TN and Gun relationship more in the drama. Gun is more human and more fleshed out than in the novel. But then again, the novel only covers the romance while the drama cover his background story, from the past to the championship

Regarding DT, he's the support role not the main role. Therefore if he only appears here and there it's understandable. Squid has always been about Gun and Tong Nian, and not DT. DT's story is in another book, though I doubt with all the ban of the CS in the China television, we would be able to get adaptation of this. And MBFB has always said that she will be the main screenwriter for all adaptation of her book, so without MBFB's permission I don't think we will ever be able to see DT and appledog's love story

I'm also one of those people who don't really care about Tong Nian's clothes lol

• Like 5

5 hours ago, angelangie said:

same....really want to see some of those strategy games.....they focus so much on the r/s which of course is good :) however really love to see some of those strategy they  had that push them for the win

I think they already take the shoot or something, there are photos of it somewhere. But it got cut because of the restriction in the television. So yeah. All the flashback is to make up for the game content I guess

• Like 3

I’m sorry if this was covered before but do we know who does the cover song for Beyond? I can’t find it on iTunes. I already bought the theme song. I love it so much! 

but actually i dont really get what is getting censored ? and who is censoring it? is it China or is it the channel? because if they are sensoring all game related theme, there is still the King's Avatar which is also about gaming but not getting censored...? i'm confused,

@stevii The reason why the game in Go Go Squid! was changed was because it was originally about a first-person shooter game. Because of blood, corpses and violence(?). 

It's their government that are putting these bans and restrictions every now and then.

• Like 1

I am wondering they probably originally did the drama based on the type of game in the book...then it didn't pass censor and they needed to changed it....because changing cost lots of monies and reshoot etc...they limited it..

lots of the gaming part was just talk no show of computer etc...

Go Go Squid has overtaken Le Coup De Foundre (had a serious withdrawal syndronne when it ended) as my Number ONE Chinese drama!:lol:

I watched it mainly as it was TOUTED as a romcom drama (perfect way to overcome withdrawal syndronne) but was completedly overwhelmed by the profound showcase of the Dreams and Aspiration of young people perfectly portrayed by HSY & Team Solo and the KK Boys! Very impressed with the flashback scenes about how HSY & Team Solo struggled chasing their dreams and the camaraderie among the KK boys. Of course also enjoyed watching the cheeky KK boys teasing HSY and TN! :kiss_wink:

HSY's character development is MAINLY due to his interraction with TN. I'm rewatching this gem of a drama for the 3rd time and I find so many awesome lines by TN which make her more MATURE than her age. She was there to give him morale support all the time. In ep 32 when she kissed him gentlely after he told her he was nervous it was so comforting to him. He himself confessed to her strict parents that he was grateful to TN for changing him and teaching him how to love :heart:

I can write a thesis about how TN subtlely helped HSY grow emotionally but I dont have the time.:P

I'd rather spend my time rewatching the drama all over again while saviouring every bit of the dialogues as they certainly help me improve my Mandarin a lot. I'm glad I'm watching Chinese dramas nowadays as the Mandarin in my country's dramas isn't as good as China's.:blush:

• Like 3

On 8/7/2019 at 1:52 PM, Peachy21 said:

I’m sorry if this was covered before but do we know who does the cover song for Beyond? I can’t find it on iTunes. I already bought the theme song. I love it so much! 

I've a feeling it's also sung by BEYOND in Mandarin. Their lead singer's voice was different as he died in a tragic accident. Love their original Cantonese version to bits.

What an appropriate song for HSY & Team Solo! :P

• Like 1

when i thought i got over already... well guess i am not, i am back to episode 1!!! hahahahah!

i just noticed that on the episode 1, Appledog was already their manager... it was SP that defeated K&K. never looked at that few months back..my eyes were just focused on HSY. 

Spoiler

Got any news if there's any drama that HNS is doing after this? Does he have his own forum here in Soompi on actors thread? been staking Yang Yang quite enough after that Love O2O... Xian Li might be next! bwahahaha!

On 8/7/2019 at 1:52 PM, Peachy21 said:

I can't find it even in Chinese and it's not listed in the credits. The lyrics are exactly the same as the Cantonese version, and that's the version that's mentioned in the books. 海阔天空 A Brighter Future. There's an actual Mandarin cover with different lyrics, as they usually do, since Mandarin and Cantonese rhyme differently. Beyond didn't do a Mandarin version, it only has a Japanese version. The actors were singing the Cantonese version in the drama, and they dubbed it over, it confuses me SO SO MUCH. 

On 8/7/2019 at 6:17 PM, stevii said:

but actually i dont really get what is getting censored ? and who is censoring it? is it China or is it the channel? because if they are sensoring all game related theme, there is still the King's Avatar which is also about gaming but not getting censored...? i'm confused,

Both King's Avatar and Gank Your Heart are web dramas, the rules aren't as strict for them compared to broadcasting on prime time tv slot. CS:Go is also more problematic compared to King's Avatar's mmorpg and Gank Your Heart's DOTA.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:45 PM, El Lieu said:

I am wondering they probably originally did the drama based on the type of game in the book...then it didn't pass censor and they needed to changed it....because changing cost lots of monies and reshoot etc...they limited it..

lots of the gaming part was just talk no show of computer etc...

There were several type of games mentioned in the books, but the game they mostly played in the book was an original game, a team shooter. CS:Go actually sponsored the drama but all of it was cut, so I think they returned all the money?

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 4

hello... i still can't get over... OMG... my heart

Han Shang Yan x Tong Nian

Wishing for Season 2

tumblr_pw4kwbAvnT1u2dd0eo6_640.gif

tumblr_pw4kwbAvnT1u2dd0eo10_640.gif

• Like 5

@iamlatika

Neither can I! 

Those gifs from ep 8 just show that HSY was already smitten by TN. 

Giggling like an idiot when I saw his expressions while she was groping for his car key.:lol:

The WAY he stared at her with his "piercing eyes". If I were TN, I'd "drop dead" so that he can carry me. Heee!:P

In the car, LOVE the way HSY stole glances at TN like an innocent school boy! Obviously he was attracted to her already when she visited his home but was playing hard to get.:rolleyes:

So in ep 9 HSY asked 97 to help him register onto TN's fanpage website.:wub:

• Like 3

Reading through some of these comments and I'm guessing I might be one of the few on here that loves Nian Nian's clothes!  Maybe because I am a fan of kawaii/harajuku style clothing and this is like subtler version of that.  

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 5:35 AM, nasaan ka Alex? said:

@stevii The reason why the game in Go Go Squid! was changed was because it was originally about a first-person shooter game. Because of blood, corpses and violence(?). 

It's their government that are putting these bans and restrictions every now and then.

You know, knowing this makes the game part of the series make so much sense now!  I was so confused as to how they were hacking only using the wasd keys!!!

Finished reading the novel...

definitley liked the drama better..

too much r rated content in novel..almost seem like hsy was a pervert and she too open to give up her virginity...

the whole Japanese coverplay anime ...singer...besides using it as an excuse for her being popular really has no affect on story ..especially in drama with her clothes..

i am glad they didnt have her dress like those harajuku etc in drama ..even though her clothes we’re not appealing better than looking like a sexy slutty anime ...

I am glad they made the drama more of respect between both characters..no sexy slingy content..would have ruined the image of hsy and tn for me...

• Like 2

CTF (hacking competition) is very interesting but it's not really that extravagant unlike what the drama suggests. The flair of team competition (and endorsements) better suits esports such as LOL and Dota. But hello, Chinese regulation. 

Solo's house is so beautiful, and so is Gun's headquarters. They're screaming industrial architecture. 

Tong Nian is described in the book as having anime-style clothing. Those are the cutesy kawaii outfits (short skirts, shorts, baggy uppers, long socks), which when worn emphasize her silhouette. This was poorly translated in the drama. They gave Yang Zi long baggy dresses layered with equally baggy pullovers such that she looked like a pastel-loving hobo rather than an anime cosplayer.

I found some K&K shirts on Aliexpress and I'm planning to buy one. If you're interested, just key in Li Xian. Puma should have taken the opportunity and released a limited edition K&K clothing collection. 

• Like 4