Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Go Go Squid! 亲爱的热爱的

7 hours ago, El Lieu said:

dt name is Hu Yitian...he reminds me of yang yang relatively stiff in acting...his supporting role here was decent as a cool guy  but some of his other dramas was okay..

i guess like ashes of love...male lead with yangzhi ..helps bring some stardom..

lixian has acted in several series..I remember last series was about drone as 2nd male leader..I already thought he was good looking then ..haha..

but this series he extra charismatic..:blush:

Yes, Hu Yitian. Thanks!

I loved Yang Yang in Love 020! His character was perfection and suited him to a T - best BF ever. He seemed stiff cos his posture was always ramrod straight and shirts always seemed starched military style, not a hair out of place - plays to his character. But when it came to romantic scenes, I had more to say about the female lead. Though none of his other shows I liked as much...

i took a liking to LX immediately too. Haha. Good looks aside, I like his goofiness and the comic in him. His eyebrows do a lot of the speaking for him I find. :lol:

4 hours ago, Peachy21 said:

Hmm maybe he tilts his head when kissing her because of his height?

Perhaps. He stoops a little too. she could stand on a stool, like how other dramas do it. Haha. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

I need to get this off my chest first..: 

OH MY FREAKIN GOD THIS DRAMA WAS SO CUTE I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OVER, IM GONNA MISS IT SO MUCH!! I LOVED IT!! POST DRAMA DEPRESSION IS GONNA BE SO BAD FOR THIS ONE.  I'm gonna miss the way han shanyang was the epitome of heart eyes emoji for tong nian. And when he calls her Nian Nian? *faints* 

Also, kinda dissapointed they didn't show the world champions? was it bc they ran out of time or did they not find a need to show it? I thought at the very least they'd show them walking through the airport as world champions or with the trophy. It's all that KK and Han Shanyang wanted in life, so why wouldn't they show it? Also also was it gonna be SP and KK at the world champs? sigh

I just finished the last episode and I honestly really loved it. The flashbacks really filled up the time, which was kinda annoying since they were scenes from literally the last couple of episodes lol. I'm also a bit confused...were DT and appledog supposed to be low key flirting with each other the last two episodes? I saw them make eyes towards each other, but i honestly felt no romantic connection between them at all. If anything, it's more of an older sister/younger brother relationship (if even that??). I wonder if they make a second season, will it focus more on them? I'm guessing there won't be another season but it would make sense to focus on him, i guess.

This drama really has piqued my interest in Li Xian, he's really handsome and made this character so memorable for me, Han Shanyang was really just a soft boi (lol) who needed friendship and love for his shell to be cracked. Tong Nian was a great character as well, Yang Zi may be older than what the actual age was, but I think she portrayed her really well. Even though she acted childish and kinda cringe, i think that was the point- it was to show that despite being intelligent and having a masters at a young age, she still has moments where she acts that way. The outfits they put her in were super bright and not that cute, but i just kinda got used them after a while lol.

Spoiler

I really loved the ending where he said "I give all my life to you, I love you." OHM YY GOODDD UGHH SO FREAKIN CUTEE!! I love them so much, I'm gonna miss this show so much!! oh my goddddd lol. I just wish he actually said the words I love you to her bc literally my heart melts when they do that in dramas lol. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

For me, the only thing that I truly hate in this drama is the ending as it relates to their championship win. I wanted to see some of the completion and the strategy they worked on. I wanted to see the guy who thought he wouldn't be able to plan in the tournament, play in replace of Grunt. I wanted to see those details. It's a shame those scenes were left out.

One other thing I hated--all those freaking flashbacks that I think took up half the episodes and so unnecessary. It was due to flashbacks that we missed the championship...something we've looking forward to the entire drama and they didn't show it.

Other than that--such a cute drama; definitely a repeat watch again--several repeats.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rocat said:

I loved Yang Yang in Love 020! His character was perfection and suited him to a T - best BF ever. He seemed stiff cos his posture was always ramrod straight and shirts always seemed starched military style, not a hair out of place - plays to his character. But when it came to romantic scenes, I had more to say about the female lead. Though none of his other shows I liked as much

I agree - I thought Yang Yang played the upright, filial, disciplined character described in the novel perfectly. He also nailed the romantic scenes - dude has a beautiful profile/jawline, and knows how to kiss.

Re the FL in Love O2O, she was very pretty and her clothing (modest, but pretty and age appropriate) fit the description of how she dressed in the novel, unlike the ugly, childish, tent-like outfits that Nian Nian wore in Go Go Squid, which were not at all the way her outfits were described in that novel. (I really disliked the casting, clothing and directing of that FL in Go Go Squid, and it totally ruined the romance for me personally. I could not bear to watch the FL and Li Xian kissing/hugging/etc). The problems with the FL in Love O2O were than the actress was beyond thin - she was emaciated looking, such that they couldn't even put her in a swimsuit, and she looked horrifyingly thin in that sleeveless outfit she wore for the in-game sections. As for the kissing scenes, the problem was that in the novel, she did seem kind of detached and somewhat frigid - the scene, including dialogue, of their first kiss, when she shows up at his office with her suitcase after a week or two at home with her parents, was word for word, action for action, the same as the novel. But I just hated how she always looked as if she was being sexually assaulted, against her will, in the drama. Her role is the only role that I wished the actor/actress playing the part in the movie was cast for the TV drama. Every other role in the TV drama was a vast improvement over the movie's casting, except for hers.  (I particularly loved that the drama cast Zhang Bin Bin as KO! Loved his romance/bromance with Mr. Beauty/Hao Mei! They did a pretty good job with the innuendo in the TV drama, I thought. Lots of tropes that are usually M/F, like when Hao Mei drank too much, and started to do a face plant in his plate on the table, and KO catches his cheek with his hand. Too adorable). 

Edited by vespertyne29
correct and add a line
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, lclarakl said:

For me, the only thing that I truly hate in this drama is the ending as it relates to their championship win. I wanted to see some of the completion and the strategy they worked on. I wanted to see the guy who thought he wouldn't be able to plan in the tournament, play in replace of Grunt. I wanted to see those details. It's a shame those scenes were left out.

One other thing I hated--all those freaking flashbacks that I think took up half the episodes and so unnecessary. It was due to flashbacks that we missed the championship...something we've looking forward to the entire drama and they didn't show it.

I couldn't believe that they didn't show any footage of the "celebrity" match-up between the former Solo team members and the top 5 current highest ranking competitors. Nada. They are out eating and drinking (as if they'd be drinking hours before the competition), and then they're on stage with confetti falling! I actually rewound twice to rewatch, thinking I had spaced out and missed something. 

The second thing I couldn't believe was that they didn't show that final competition at all, but again, went from repetitive, tedious, we've-already-seen-those-at-least-twice flashbacks, to DT, 97, Demo and the others on stage with the confetti. Also, for all the drama about grunt not being able to play, it was NOT the "World Championship," which was the dream that HSY and his former team members were talking about and striving towards the entire drama. It was, I think, referred to as the Asian Pacific Games, and did not include most European countries, or South and North American countries.

And the last episode was almost entirely flashbacks to scenes we had seen at least once, and some multiple times. But IMO that was better than seeing more completely unbelievable, non-sexual canoodling between Li Xian and the disgustingly childish FL. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

On 7/30/2019 at 5:53 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I imagine it might be about product placement although I didn't see any brand name but to spend several minutes watching NN playing barista with a coffee machine with all the bells and whistles doesn't seem like time well spent. It's already been established that she's a smart and capable cookie so I frankly don't see the point in all that. It's kinda funny and cute (Who doesn't enjoy watching HSY writhing in jealousy) but what's the point of it and at this point in the story?

The coffee machine part was beyond stupid. First, who cares if TN can make an espresso drink? Second, HSY is a 29-almost-30 year old man, who acts as if he's never seen or been around an espresso machine, jumping in fright at the milk steamer, etc. And also, he's a gaming god, but he's not stupid, and has been living on his own since he was in his late teens, and is described as doing the cooking/cleaning for his housemates.  He's also a smart guy - not just a cyber-security gaming expert (these are Capture the Flag type games, which look to be similar to what cyber-security experts do to combat hackers/viruses), but also with a degree in industrial design. And I'm supposed to believe he isn't capable of figuring out how to make a latte??? :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

On 7/31/2019 at 9:11 AM, turtlenamedmack said:

I was trying to figure out why ... and why DT is in the drama so little since he is the third listed cast member in the opening credits (second lead?). I'm guessing this is the effect of the actor's scandals, including the sex scandal that broke in the same month that filming finished.   It's too bad for the DT/Appledog characters and storyline though.

I wondered the same thing. He kept a pretty low profile after the scandal broke, especially as the evidence (recording) seemed pretty damning, but then recently the accuser miraculously recanted! <insert eyeroll here>. (Not that I think he should have been condemned for allegedly making negative comments about the FL in ALSB, or allegedly having an intimate relationship with a consenting adult. I really despise the "Netizens" and how they can't separate actors' private and professional lives, and are so hatefully critical that actors are driven to deep depression and even suicide by all the rumors and scandals. Just look at the gossip, rumors, speculation and lies about the Song-Song divorce, which should have come as a surprise to no one, since these fall-in-love-making-movie-or-drama romances rarely last - ie: all the Hollywood relationships/marriages between co-stars that failed, from the 1940s to current times). 

Maybe that's what all the filler and flashbacks were about, and all the comments HSY made about love and romance, which the novel specifically noted he would NEVER say out loud. I hated that they did that to his character.  

The drama supposedly included the stories of the last two books - Fish Playing While Trapped in a Secret Room and Stewed Squid in Honey. I have only read the last book (Squid) of the trilogy, but supposedly the second book is about appledog and DT. I do suspect that Hu Yitian had a much bigger role originally, because when the drama started airing, if you googled the title, the results showed a large photo/poster of Hu Yitian as the first and main poster -  as if he had top billing -  and then much smaller photos/posters of LI Xian and the FL. (After about 15 or 20 episodes, when Li Xian's popularity skyrocketed, the google entries changed, and the first, large photo is of LX and the FL, with several shots of them before a small-sized photo of HY). 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

On 8/3/2019 at 4:20 AM, El Lieu said:

The private house that he has is actually very very nice..

I know! I loved it. Just my taste in design - clean, classic modern design.

I actually had nightmares about TN moving in and adding frilly pastel pillows and Hello Kitty stuffed animals and artwork, and making an elegant home into something hideous, like her clothes and her bedroom. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

In regards to Dt story, lack of world championship,  etc.... perhaps this blog post will help clarify some things that the MBFB intended for the series..scroll down a bit past the cast announcements....https://hui3r.wordpress.com/2018/03/19/go-go-squid-cast-announcement-for-dt-solo-and-xiao-mi/

From what I read it looks like originally MBFB intended the story to be two parts... first will be GGS and second Sealed Chamber. IMO the second part might not happen because they censored the whole counterstrike/ first person shooting game and that's what tempest chamber was all about.  I feel bad for MBFB cuz I think having all those elements banned really ruined the flow of the series, especially the last few episodes.  So I doubt she would want to do that again honestly.  

In regards to Gun and TN relationship...I like the drama depiction more.... in the drama,  I feel that Gun is more human and realistic than the novel. I also like that he tells TN how he feels and not just think in his head all those thoughts. One of the things I didn't like about the novel is how clueless TN seems of Guns feelings and how much her world only revolves around him...I love that in the drama, Gun is the one who told her that he's learning to be a better person and that she had to have get own thoughts,  etc. The relationship in the drama,  I think,  is a lot more balanced than in the book.  

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't care about TN clothes at all. Lol. The clothes, pink, etc never bothered me and I think it's kinda cute. And I don't mind that they didn't go with the novel about the whole sexier clothes, mini skirts, etc...cuz firstly they'll never make it through censor if it's too obvious and secondly I never get the feeling that the reason Gun is into her is cuz of TN figure, like in the book.  Reads well as a book, but showing onscreen may not be as appropriate. I think the evolution of Guns feelings for TN is much better depicted in the drama than compared to the book,  which I really appreciate. 

All in all, I love this drama adaptation and I think it's one of the better ones. Even Love 020 I loved the book more.  This one I can say that I like the drama more,  except for the fact that they had the gaming censored.  If they were able to keep all those parts, it would definitely be an A+ but now due to weird editing and WAY too many flashbacks at the end it's a very high B++ for me. And will definitely be a drama I'll binge watch all the time!  Also I love Li Xian and can't wait for his other projects coming up! 

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

Yang Yang is doing alright in King's Avatar, I have issues with his Ye Xiu (in that Ye Xiu isn't as softboi as he portrays sometimes), but he's not stiff this time. I think his performance in Love O2O fit Xiao Nai pretty well.

HYT joined the cast as a special guest actor and in the drama, there's nothing between dt and appledog, just dt's eyes always follows her, appledog treats him like a little brother she doesn't really know.

Tong Nian wasn't sexy in the book either, her figure was sexy, mini skirts + rabbit socks is cute, not sexy. It'll do fine on TV, come on. It's also a comparison things, everyone else dresses stylishly and then there's TN. I was okay with some of her clothes earlier but they seem to get worse over time.

Esport would also work okay if it aired as a webdrama, but it's understandable why GGS opt for TV broadcast too, since it'd reach a wider audience/more popularity + potentially industrial recognition. If Tempest Chambers is in the works, webdrama would be essential unless they just want to do a romance. I did think it was odd they didn't show World Championship but the idea wasn't winning World Championship, it was standing on a world stage and earning a gold medal, Asia Pacific Championship works fine in this case.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

On 8/2/2019 at 7:38 PM, El Lieu said:

How old is yy supposed to be vs xm?  8 year old gap..she is also 19 and he 28?  

Actually i dont recall a modern series where yangzhi outfits are pretty..not in ode to the joy either...

they actually had a whole article about her outfits ..that lixians was all black to make him so close to 30 because he is only 25 and for yangzhi all these baggie outfits to make her look 19...

i think she may not look 19 but still have a youthful look with bangs...of course she was prettier in ashes of love though I thought...

I think there are many other ways to make Yang Zi younger than her age.  Wearing those baggy sacks and gray stockings made her looked more like a toddler running around in play clothes?  In some scenes, Tong Niang actually looked quite bad with her flat fringe and light eye brows.  Other than this, I am happy with YZ's portrayal of TN. 

There are 2 scenes in the novels which I would have loved to see in the drama.  The parts where HSY logged into the game and patiently taught TN (the LoliCat) how to play the game (training her to jump up stairs by using the keyboard) plus the part when she found out that he knew it was her in the game by asking if she prefers to use HP instead of weapons.  At that point of time, she still did not know that HSY was using Grant's ID in the game during their initial hook up when she first knew him.  She decided to play dumb and asked him what he meant by adding HP 0.0?  Gun decided to let her know that he was aware that she was the kid in the earlier game (using another player's ID) by repeating her words in the game chat: 

"(>^ω^<) Meow. This is Little Squidie. Thanks, everyone, for watching out for me"

• Like 3

On 8/4/2019 at 2:46 AM, El Lieu said:

dt name is Hu Yitian...he reminds me of yang yang relatively stiff in acting...his supporting role here was decent as a cool guy  but some of his other dramas was okay..

i guess like ashes of love...male lead with yangzhi ..helps bring some stardom..

lixian has acted in several series..I remember last series was about drone as 2nd male leader..I already thought he was good looking then ..haha..

but this series he extra charismatic..:blush:

Li Xian is quite interesting looking in  Tientsin Mystic.  That was the first time I noticed him.  I didn't finished Medical Examiner Dr Qin because of all the gruesome body parts in the forensic scenes.  He also had a 2nd lead role in Only Side By Side With You where he played an unrequited lovelorn dude.  I think HSY is his best role to date.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vespertyne29 said:

The coffee machine part was beyond stupid. First, who cares if TN can make an espresso drink? Second, HSY is a 29-almost-30 year old man, who acts as if he's never seen or been around an espresso machine, jumping in fright at the milk steamer, etc. And also, he's a gaming god, but he's not stupid, and has been living on his own since he was in his late teens, and is described as doing the cooking/cleaning for his housemates.  He's also a smart guy - not just a cyber-security gaming expert (these are Capture the Flag type games, which look to be similar to what cyber-security experts do to combat hackers/viruses), but also with a degree in industrial design. And I'm supposed to believe he isn't capable of figuring out how to make a latte??? :rolleyes:

If I am not mistaken, I thought I saw a similiar looking coffee machine in one of the episodes between 9-11.  One of the KK boys was using the machine.  Could it be they shot the scene at a later stage and forgot about the machine?  LOL!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vespertyne29 said:

I wondered the same thing. He kept a pretty low profile after the scandal broke, especially as the evidence (recording) seemed pretty damning, but then recently the accuser miraculously recanted! <insert eyeroll here>. (Not that I think he should have been condemned for allegedly making negative comments about the FL in ALSB, or allegedly having an intimate relationship with a consenting adult. I really despise the "Netizens" and how they can't separate actors' private and professional lives, and are so hatefully critical that actors are driven to deep depression and even suicide by all the rumors and scandals. Just look at the gossip, rumors, speculation and lies about the Song-Song divorce, which should have come as a surprise to no one, since these fall-in-love-making-movie-or-drama romances rarely last - ie: all the Hollywood relationships/marriages between co-stars that failed, from the 1940s to current times). 

Maybe that's what all the filler and flashbacks were about, and all the comments HSY made about love and romance, which the novel specifically noted he would NEVER say out loud. I hated that they did that to his character.  

The drama supposedly included the stories of the last two books - Fish Playing While Trapped in a Secret Room and Stewed Squid in Honey. I have only read the last book (Squid) of the trilogy, but supposedly the second book is about appledog and DT. I do suspect that Hu Yitian had a much bigger role originally, because when the drama started airing, if you googled the title, the results showed a large photo/poster of Hu Yitian as the first and main poster -  as if he had top billing -  and then much smaller photos/posters of LI Xian and the FL. (After about 15 or 20 episodes, when Li Xian's popularity skyrocketed, the google entries changed, and the first, large photo is of LX and the FL, with several shots of them before a small-sized photo of HY). 

The novel Honey Stewed Squid has always been about HSY and TN and never much about DT.   This is in line with the novel.

• Like 1

" Not that I think he should have been condemned for allegedly making negative comments about the FL in ALSB ".....So true!! Those fans all they do is ship them whenever they like their on screen coupling which is NOT real.  I didn't watch HYT's ALSB but I heard about it.  The girl is just cute nothing else nothing and there's nothing wrong for a guy a tall azz guy like him to not find her attractive or whatever is that a crime? hahhaa LOL...They made such a big deal out of it cuz he said that about his costar. Those fans really they are such blind hardcore fans it's not like you know them.  They are normal people.  No matter how much you love them it's really not real they are just playing a part. You can be happy watching but don't ship them like they have to be compatible or together after their great drama ends. Song Song couple oh yes....Lord that was shocking but also unsurprising too as it's like one min they were ex colleagues and then the next year they were married? It ended just as fast.  lol.... And then ppl made comments on who is more deserving and who's the bad guy?  Like you can ever know what happened to someone's relationship apart from whatever they do in public for the media to see? ahha lol... Come on you know get real.  I will NOT ship the Go Go Squid couple either no matter how much good entertainment they brought us from this series.  There's fiction and there's reality.  :D

• Like 2

Rewatching really like hsy’s stepmom...she is so courageous to raise a difficult kid even when her husband died so quickly leaving her that responsibility..

HSY told NN he is not a hero God.. I agree .. he was mad at solo and appledog all these years but in reality it’s alot his fault.. it was his emotional choice to give up...like xm said at that time so cool at the height of the career they retired.. now xm regret it.

i find it interesting though that xm’s Ability diminishes yet hsy didn’t...his kids always lose against him..but I guess if he was to do a one on one with dt..who is supposedly number one now...would hsy win?

• Like 2

I agree that coffee scenes made no sense..he is the one who cleans up and cooks and everything ...with an industrial design degree...why wouldn’t he know how to operate a cappuccino machine after showing him several times...duh

• Like 1

On YouTube there is a scene where hsy ask non what she wants for bday and she saidto be held against the wall...he does that but then I couldn’t hear the conversation....hah..

does anyone know know any other scenes they excluded in the series that can be found?  I only saw that scene..why in the world they took it out..and then add flashbacks instead...

• Like 1