[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Go Go Squid! 亲爱的热爱的

sugarplum892

8 minutes ago, churasan said:

I'm so glad that there are episodes everyday.  I would never be able to wait for episodes if they were on a weekly basis.   Yes, it is painful to watch the preview clips with no subs.  But, lately fans have been coming together and providing some translations in the comments box (if you watch them on YouTube).  The most recently preview clip on YT of TN's 2nd drunk scene was hilarious! :w00t: :wub: 

Same thoughts. If this drama is weekly basis, I'm going to die of waiting lol Though I try to hold back and not watch until it's subbed, my hands just click the play button in reflex and before I know it, I already watch the entire episode without even knowing what they said :D

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Juuchan said:

Same thoughts. If this drama is weekly basis, I'm going to die of waiting lol Though I try to hold back and not watch until it's subbed, my hands just click the play button in reflex and before I know it, I already watch the entire episode without even knowing what they said :D

Totally know what you mean.  After reading the forum posts, I had a warning that there was going to be a 2nd breakup scene.  I was already upset with the breakup scene in another drama I was following last week, and didn't want to get hit with a double whammy of my fave couples breaking up.  So I vowed not to watch the Go Go Squid breakup episodes until after they got back together.  However, my will power didn't last long and I caved in. :sweatingbullets:  Now, I'm stuck anxiously anticipating the subbed episodes of them getting back together.

1 hour ago, Juuchan said:

Actually about the breakup, I could understand where Han Shangyan is coming from. Before I watch episode 21-23, I feel like the second breakup is not needed, as the novel is very light and fluffy. But someone said it before, that he win over the mother too easily, and I agree with that. Because it's Chinese culture, and as a Chinese myself (though I couldn't speak the language being born in Indonesia lol) I know where Han Shangyan is coming from, and why he decide to breakup with Tong Nian. And it's not like he wanted to do it, as he's forced to do it by the mother (though in a roundabout way). That's why to me, the breakup is funny (and quite realistic too) as he still have lingering feeling for Tong Nian and didn't really want her to be with someone else

And Tong Nian to me is not really a push over. She clearly still love him so she shows that openly. But it's not like she's crying to come back to him anyway. He had to be the one to make the move (with the help of his friends) to get her back. Episode 24-25 shows what a good friend they have and I'm really glad that the friend care enough to help them along the way

I really love the dynamic in episode 24-25. It shows the balance of being funny and sad moments. And Xiao Ai wins the trophy for making Gun jealous when she wanted to match up Tong Nian with her father. Though he said nothing, his expression is priceless XD Can't wait for the next episode

P.S What everyone thinks about episode 24-25? I'm curious

@Juuchan

Cant agree more with you!:)

I also think the 2nd breakup is necessary. The pining and yearning makes HSY more humane and vulnerable & I really enjoyed it especially the incidents leading to their reconciliation! :D

HSY with his sob story with crocodile tears easily won TN over. He smiled and told himself that TN is easily deceived. TN caught that smile and he pretended he didnt do it on purpose! So FUNNY!:lol:

Unlike many viewers who just want more fluffy moments, I like the flashbacks as they provide the background story of KK and why HSY became what he is perceived to be.

Plus as an an elderly, I love the meaningful Beyond's hit song being used during those days.:wub:

9 minutes ago, gladys57 said:

@Juuchan

Cant agree more with you!:)

I also think the 2nd breakup is necessary. The pining and yearning makes HSY more humane and vulnerable & I really enjoyed it especially the incidents leading to their reconciliation! :D

HSY with his sob story with crocodile tears easily won TN over. He smiled and told himself that TN is easily deceived. TN caught that smile and he pretended he didnt do it on purpose! So FUNNY!:lol:

Unlike many viewers who just want more fluffy moments, I like the flashbacks as they provide the background story of KK and why HSY became what he is perceived to be.

Plus as an an elderly, I love the meaningful Beyond's hit song being used during those days.:wub:

As I've read all the novels, I could actually understand about the flashbacks and I think it gives me that happy feeling, because I see Gun as human, and not as someone who's just stoic without reason. He's stoic because he wanted to achieve what he wanted even though he's supported by no one. The flashbacks give me the back story of who Gun is and what makes him the way he is now

Yeah that crocodile tears lol Since I read the novel I kinda now what he's talking about (though I'm waiting for the sub still) and he's playing that pitiful child card in front of Tong Nian, so Tong Nian will pity him and choose him XD The greatest con man is in action! And he didn't even feel guilty doing it lol

3 hours ago, toedoe said:

I'm curious as to the timeline of the show... maybe it's because they air more episodes compared to other dramas, but I swear the whole storyline takes place within like a month or two. 

I have no idea how I got the idea that it started in December from the novels but I did. At the latest, they met somewhere in January, just before she had her finals for uni, since Chinese New Years at the latest is mid-Feburary. It's April in episode 27, the day Yaya met Xiao Mi for the first time (I can't remember the episode number, early 2x), she mentioned April Fools. It's also how they went through both HSY's and TN's birthday, since they are Feb 14th and Mar 20th.

36 minutes ago, angelangie said:

sometimes it happen because some VIP member to see it all ....and then they just uploaded it into the internet for other viewing....

Nah, VIP doesn't have access to all the episodes, VIP are ahead by 2 episodes. If it was VIP, it wouldn't be illegal episodes. The leak episodes were for Dragon TV viewing only apparently, so I assume it was a staff or something.

26 minutes ago, skibbies said:

Nah, VIP doesn't have access to all the episodes, VIP are ahead by 2 episodes. If it was VIP, it wouldn't be illegal episodes. The leak episodes were for Dragon TV viewing only apparently, so I assume it was a staff or something.

If it's the staffs, then that's even more horrible. Like, why would they do that? 

Are they extending this to 42 episodes?

I'm reading some stuff about it having 42 (link -> https://movie.douban.com/subject/26794191/ ) episodes, 41 +1 Special episode probably. But i'd be happy if they extended some episodes to make it to 42, rather than a special episode. It's a great way to mitigate a probable decrease of rating.

Having 42 episodes would be great. I want moar of them *___*

Even if it's special I don't mind though. Like they did with Put Your Head on My Shoulder. That kind of special would be great, to tell the live of the characters after the supposed ending on episode 41

A conceited HSY pretended he wanted to get something from his house when he actually wanted to appease grandpa by bringing TN there to hint that they're back together again.:lol:

At 1st she decided akwardly she didn't  want to meet grandpa as she didn't want to bluff him about their relationship. HSY then casually remarked, "If we need to bluff, let's bluff!" That's his chauvisnistic way of admitting his defeat in trying to break up with TN.  :P

Best of all, grandpa encouraged them to watch as many movies as possible in his room! :wub:

15 minutes ago, gladys57 said:

A conceited HSY pretended he wanted to get something from his house when he actually wanted to appease grandpa by bringing TN there to hint that they're back together again.:lol:

At 1st she decided akwardly she didn't  want to meet grandpa as she didn't want to bluff him about their relationship. HSY then casually remarked, "If we need to bluff, let's bluff!" That's his chauvisnistic way of admitting his defeat in trying to break up with TN.  :P

Best of all, grandpa encouraged them to watch as many movies as possible in his room! :wub:

EDIT:
Lol grandpa always like Tong Nian and I guess he wanted thing to progress further (winkwink)

Though I must say poor Wu Bai. Somehow his presence is not as importance as the other K&K boys. His screen time is like soooooooo short >.>

Go Go Squid looks like a smash hit in China, so is there a possibility for them to create the other novel with DT and appledog as the main character?

1 hour ago, Juuchan said:

Go Go Squid looks like a smash hit in China, so is there a possibility for them to create the other novel with DT and appledog as the main character?

Not really. Stewed Squid is 120k characters, which is only enough for 20 episodes max. While there's some drama original scenes (second break up, Xiao Ai), a lot of it were from the other two novels, which are 60k + 190k characters. One of them intertwines with this one in terms of timeline, appledog was protagonist, but dt, solo, gun, grunt were all technically male leads, while this is technically the romance spin-off for gun. The author fused the most interesting and compelling bits (aside from the romance) into this drama. The books were 50% esport + 30% friendship drama, which is mostly here, well most of the esport bits all got cut but still.

Spoiler

Many of the post-breakup OTP moments were just adorable and some even had me in stitches. :lol: Never, never leave NN alone with any alcohol anywhere. ;) Trouble is bound to ensue. Drunk NN is hilarious but terrifying at the same time. At least for HSY. (The rest of us can enjoy a laugh or two at his expense) It's a whole new side to the normally docile, cutesy and agreeable girlfriend. With a little alcohol in her system and she transforms into a love maniac. 

Well, there's something refreshing about a female lead who isn't shy about expressing her feelings. It's not just when she's drunk but even when she's not she's telling YY how much she likes him. That scene where he's carrying boxes to Xiao Mi's flat and he tells her to leave things to him... yeah, she's deliriously happy and genuinely thrilled to bits. "He's so cool. I like him so so much" And true enough... for a guy who says he knows nothing about romance he is doing a jolly good job making the woman he loves happy with being simply thoughtful with the little things. And she's thoughtful of him too... she doesn't want her parents to find out they've got back together because she doesn't want him misunderstood and insulted again. Her openness about her feelings causes him to gradually open up to the point that he is able to face her parents albeit telling a richard simmons and bull story about how they met.

HSY's most endearing quality is that he is teachable. His willingness to learn and accommodate is very attractive. Because of that I never think that much about the age gap. He's always learning. He doesn't think he knows it all like some other rom com male leads. I didn't need the break up for me to see that HSY is human. I knew that he was from the way he treated the people around him. As NN says his fierce demeanour is largely a facade. His boys know it but they play along... perhaps out of genuine love and respect for the guy-in-charge. They know what he's had to sacrifice and risk to support them. When Xiao Mi tells him that NN is missing out on campus romance, he takes heed and heads down to her uni and hangs out with her like a good campus boyfriend. ;) 

This is turning to be a really good OTP for me. Both leads are good in their roles undoubtedly but I think the direction and writing is good as far as their relationship is concerned. (I'm more critical about other things in the drama) This is actually an unusually healthy relationship between two people who just happen to have a 10 year age gap. But that's not really important because they can actually communicate on a level that moves them forward together. Sometimes when I watch these C rom coms I can't help cringe at the dysfunctional dynamic even when the male and female leads are closer in age/exactly the same age. (I didn't like A Love So Beautiful for that reason.)

HSY cleans up nice. The suit he wore to meet the in-laws was very swoony.

2 hours ago, skibbies said:

Not really. Stewed Squid is 120k characters, which is only enough for 20 episodes max. While there's some drama original scenes (second break up, Xiao Ai), a lot of it were from the other two novels, which are 60k + 190k characters. One of them intertwines with this one in terms of timeline, appledog was protagonist, but dt, solo, gun, grunt were all technically male leads, while this is technically the romance spin-off for gun. The author fused the most interesting and compelling bits (aside from the romance) into this drama. The books were 50% esport + 30% friendship drama, which is mostly here, well most of the esport bits all got cut but still.

Yeah I thought that they might be able to adapt the other one too ^^; Would be great to have another story that's for DT and appledog, as I actually like them in the novel. Sad that they won't get their own story but I'm satisfied with Go Go Squid adaptation (as I love Han Shangyan and Tong Nian) so I won't complain

7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It's far better than smoking.

(Athough both will kill you slowly)

HSY said that to the security roaming at night, right? hahahah... quit smoking and you will argue less with your wife...! hahahah

this is just way too cute not to share.... all credits to acct owner and video owner: 

I haven't finished yet and yes I couldn't help myself hahahaa....but even thou lots of flaws it is a super cute & interesting plotline of a drama filled w/bromance, romance, friendship, dreams & family love.  I don't watch a lot of C/drama and even if I do I skipped hahaah... This one the main theme itself got me hooked from epi 1 and turns out the opening singer is super talented as well!!  Wow... I still have a 5-6 episode to go but omg...You guys will love it so much sweetness & cuteness overload. Omgosh hahaaha.... The most horrible thing for me in the entire drama has got to be Xiao Mi's character as he really overacts sometimes he just doesn't do it for me.  Also, the style of the main female lead....Really I don't know what kind of fashion sense they are trying to convey for her character.  Most of the time, she looks HORRIBLE.  ahahaha...LOL ... OMG

Also, the kissing scenes were a bit un-natural and weak but I guess we will all overlook it since we like the sweetness! lol

Archived