[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Go Go Squid! 亲爱的热爱的

sugarplum892

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jafstar said:

When watching the first episode raw, I was so confused since I was expecting them to do competitive gaming/ESports, not doing IT cyber security. :crazy: For me, who loved the novels as they were, having this integral part be changed, is hugely disappointing. Attacking opponents’ servers with a virus? Blahh. How boring! Don’t get me wrong; I love MBFB’s writings, but I think she did wrong in changing the gaming aspect to cyber security, even if it was to get the drama aired as @skibbies mentioned. I will continue to watch this since the leads are adorable together, but I am very very very disappointed. :tears:

I noticed that they changed it to CTF (hacking/cybersecurity) when I watched it with English subs.  So, I did a little research on CTF, and it actually can be considered as an esport, and is gaining in popularity. Hacking can be very exciting, especially this "Capture the Flag" game - I watched some google videos on it, and it's pretty intense.  It could be because they couldn't get rights to the actual games, or a banning issue, but I actually think that using CTF can be a lot more interesting in terms of character development for Tong Nian. From the novel, she is described as a genius in computer programming so it will be cool if the series will explore that - how she can help Gun and really understand him and his work. Or maybe even have Gun relate to her more.  I know one of the things that bugs me a bit about the novel is that Gun and Tong Nian don't really have a lot in common - she loves Gun, and understands his dreams - but can she really relate? There was a line in the novel, that's something like - it doesn't matter what you like or what you do, or that I am not a part of your world - I still want to be with you (paraphrasing, but similar). It's really sweet in the novel, but realistically speaking, I'm not sure that this type of relationship will work.  I never thought that Tong Nian is "equal" to Gun in the novel. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the novel - but it is really just a big fluffy piece.  Maybe MBFB wants to change it a bit and add more character details to Tong Nian and Gun and their relationship - like WHY Gun fell in love with Tong Nian. Or maybe it's government interference or rights issues - who knows - we'll see how it plays out :)

Just want to add that I LOVE Li Xian in this drama!  He's incredible as Gun, and I agree with all the previous posters - I really can't take my eyes off him every time he's on the screen! Can't wait for his next drama...Sword Dynasty!

4 hours ago, chloevstkawaii said:

@Jafstar The screenplay is written by the author herself because she's a screenwriter so my assumption is that it'll follow the novel pretty accurately. But I can't comment much other than that since I didn't read the prequels and don't know what happened between Solo/Gun/Appledog besides a fall out.

From what I remember from the novel (I read it quite a while back), during the time Solo and Appledog were dating, Solo had an affair with Su Cheng (Gun's assistant) and she got pregnant and gave birth to a daughter. When Appledog found out, she was really upset decided to leave the team. Solo then asked Gun if he can be captain, but Gun refused and then left the country (I think they also fought).

11 minutes ago, Lululililululu said:

I noticed that they changed it to CTF (hacking/cybersecurity) when I watched it with English subs.  So, I did a little research on CTF, and it actually can be considered as an esport, and is gaining in popularity. Hacking can be very exciting, especially this "Capture the Flag" game - I watched some google videos on it, and it's pretty intense.  It could be because they couldn't get rights to the actual games, or a banning issue, but I actually think that using CTF can be a lot more interesting in terms of character development for Tong Nian. From the novel, she is described as a genius in computer programming so it will be cool if the series will explore that - how she can help Gun and really understand him and his work. Or maybe even have Gun relate to her more.  I know one of the things that bugs me a bit about the novel is that Gun and Tong Nian don't really have a lot in common - she loves Gun, and understands his dreams - but can she really relate? There was a line in the novel, that's something like - it doesn't matter what you like or what you do, or that I am not a part of your world - I still want to be with you (paraphrasing, but similar). It's really sweet in the novel, but realistically speaking, I'm not sure that this type of relationship will work.  I never thought that Tong Nian is "equal" to Gun in the novel. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the novel - but it is really just a big fluffy piece.  Maybe MBFB wants to change it a bit and add more character details to Tong Nian and Gun and their relationship - like WHY Gun fell in love with Tong Nian. Or maybe it's government interference or rights issues - who knows - we'll see how it plays out :)

Just want to add that I LOVE Li Xian in this drama!  He's incredible as Gun, and I agree with all the previous posters - I really can't take my eyes off him every time he's on the screen! Can't wait for his next drama...Sword Dynasty!

Thanks for doing more research. So CTF is considered an E-sport, just not like the mainstream ones we usually see. I wasn’t aware that hacking was a sport. (Learning new things daily. lol.) Okay. Well, thank you...You’re helping my mind to accept what they’ve done in the drama compared to the novel. And I have to agree with you regarding TN’s character development and her relationship with Gun. To make it more realistic, you’re right, there needs to be more substance as to why Gun (who’s insanely brilliant) falls for scholarly cute pinky TN. It would be nice to see them have something in common, but then I feel something is missing. Rhetorically asking, why does she have to ‘aid’ his career? What I loved about the novel, was that TN was a superstar in her own career - she had a huge following! She wasn’t no little small fry. I felt that she and Gun were equals in their own careers, but came together to compliment each other. They understood each other, despite being opposites. However, I am looking forward to how they’ll draw out their story. And now I’ll have a more open mind. 

I have no idea what this novel or drama was about, I didn’t even know what CTF was until I googled it! I was only attracted to Li Xian and Yang Zi’s cover and thought I’d give it a shot, didn’t realized what a interesting story it was. So thanks everyone for this info!!

Re:e-sports, I do get the impression it's to air on TV, the lines were noticeably dubbed over. Gank to your heart (?) had e-sports as an element and aired fine as a webdrama, I think? (I haven't seen it so feel free to correct me) King's Avatar should also be coming next month, but likely just as a webdrama, so we can check if that's changed too. I do think it's sucks that it's cybersecurity competition, since the vital part of these people's dreams/book's theme were to earn a place for their country, to legitimise e-sports, to change perception about gaming. If my assumption is correct, their hands are tied though

8 hours ago, Lululililululu said:

I know one of the things that bugs me a bit about the novel is that Gun and Tong Nian don't really have a lot in common - she loves Gun, and understands his dreams - but can she really relate? There was a line in the novel, that's something like - it doesn't matter what you like or what you do, or that I am not a part of your world - I still want to be with you (paraphrasing, but similar). It's really sweet in the novel, but realistically speaking, I'm not sure that this type of relationship will work.  I never thought that Tong Nian is "equal" to Gun in the novel. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the novel - but it is really just a big fluffy piece.  Maybe MBFB wants to change it a bit and add more character details to Tong Nian and Gun and their relationship - like WHY Gun fell in love with Tong Nian. 

Tong Nian did help with her expertise, she made a mini program to test reaction time for the kids, without realising she was a huge help, no less. But yeah I did feel that it wasn't as equal of a relationship? but I think that's intentional, he's 10 years older and she barely have any experience outside of school, so the power imbalance have always been in place. She's a cover singer as a hobby too, not as a career iirc. I think the type of relationship can work if you respect each other's interest and field, and I think they do try to get to know each other's circles.

I wished they kept her hair long in this drama. She was so pretty in Ashes of Love. She's still really cute in here though. But lately I've noticed the choice of clothes in a lot of these modern dramas for the female lead are usually meh.

I agreed regarding TN & Gun. There's the age gap between the 2 so it's only normal that he seems much more accomplished than she is especially with her being 19 and him being 29. If it was like 25 vs 35, it wouldn't feel so wide. Despite this seemingly unequal balance, I like that TN is an internet celebrity in her own right. Like while everyone is impressed by Gun, her little world considers her "Her Highness". All of Gun's fans considered her lucky to be with him but her fans also think he's lucky to be with her.

The only thing though is that she's always mentioned as a "genius" with high IQ and low EQ. And aside from the program she writes to test the team members' APM, we don't get to see her genius in action. Dt mentioned competing with her in a programming contest and there's mentions of her degrees and her working on her Masters but the story doesn't focus on that. It's mainly a love story between the two, her pursuit of him, etc.

And yes, I am not disappointed in Li Xian's portrayal as Gun! I'm going to re-read the book just to have Li Xian in my mind, LOL.

@skibbies @Jafstar

After watching the episodes again (I think I watched ep1 like 5 times lol), I do agree that it's definitely dubbed to CTF so it must have been changed after the series was shot. It's too bad...I guess we can just imagine the gaming aspect if it starts not making sense?  But so far it doesn't impact the story too much for me so I am enjoying it immensely :)

Watching some other CTF videos, it looks like China is really promoting it? I know that they're sponsoring a large competition or something so maybe they're trying to promote it through this drama? I know I didn't even know CTF is a thing until this drama lol.

In regards to TN and Gun.....yup agree that because of their ages, it automatically gives TN less power in the relationship. I think that their relationship isn't as developed in the novel so I'm really looking forward to those details in the drama. From what is shown so far, I think they're going to explore this aspect more and how Gun is so positively influenced by Tong Nian, which will portray a much more balanced relationship.

Watching without subs is hard because I don't understand everything but I have to say it does mirror the novel pretty closely....I do get the gist of most things. But I was surprised too by the CTF change initially when the subs were finally available.  Lol

This is definitely my crack drama of the year. I'm so addicted to all the videos. Lol

I am trying so hard to understand what they're saying! I've never wanted to learn another language so badly, haha. Even though I have read the book and can sort of follow along... it's just not the same :( We need more volunteers on viki to speed up this process! 

I like everything about this drama but Tong Nian's character at the moment. I'm not use to all the cute pink stuff she owns or how much of a stalker she is lol. I do wish she was a little older...I really like Han Shangyan because his reaction is pretty realistic LOL...not as seductive as Li Xian's way of asking her why she likes him but i think most guys would question why.

I hope she grows up more. If she is able to change him, he should be able to help her change too.

59 minutes ago, Nina Bina said:

I like everything about this drama but Tong Nian's character at the moment. I'm not use to all the cute pink stuff she owns or how much of a stalker she is lol. I do wish she was a little older...I really like Han Shangyan because his reaction is pretty realistic LOL...not as seductive as Li Xian's way of asking her why she likes him but i think most guys would question why.

I hope she grows up more. If she is able to change him, he should be able to help her change too.

LOL that's how it is in the book too that's why it took a while for some people to like her character. But later on, once they established their relationship, it does get better since she doesn't have to be a stalker anymore. LOL

18 minutes ago, chloevstkawaii said:

LOL that's how it is in the book too that's why it took a while for some people to like her character. But later on, once they established their relationship, it does get better since she doesn't have to be a stalker anymore. LOL

I agree in the beginning I was a little put off by her character but once they develop their relationship I love her there was a  interview with Yangzi where she says that they will develop her character (career,life apart from HSY) and I am glad because even though I love her in the book I want to see her mature It takes time thats y im going to wait to watch Hopefully they dont take out the scene where she develop a program to test the teams reaction time 

I find it so cute and funny how those 'kids' r playing cupids one min. and then being like a bunch of old ladies gossiping on either of them later.

I'm so loving this drama and it's actors.  I get goosebumps sometimes seeing how Gun's face would just go straight up to TN's face haha, he sooo likes her.

@chloevstkawaii I also don't normally watch shows live either, and definitely not without subs. I read the translated book late last year and when I found it there was a live version, I've been waiting for it since. It's been a LONG time. Now I wonder if the reason it took so long is cuz they had to replace with the whole CTF thing. I watch the trailers all the time too lol. I am also watching raw once it's released by croton. Of course,  I'm also waiting on the viki subs as well. So appreciative of all the translators.  :)

@Nina Bina Yeah...TN needs a bit of time to get used to.... she's extremely naive and young. And especially in the beginning, she and Gun were on totally different wavelengths. The novel is a light read so I was fine with the characterization,  but I'm hopeful that the drama will show her growth. I also noticed that in the Croton YouTube video descriptions for the drama is slightly ddifferent than original plot so I think MBFB is really going to detail out their feelings, relationship, etc.

Expand the description section and scroll to the English part. You'll need to open it up on YouTube. https://youtu.be/s4vQfrxlgJE

Archived