[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Go Go Squid! 亲爱的热爱的

sugarplum892

Although I think the break-up was unnecessary... HSY could have tried harder to placate NN's mother and try to persuade her to see things differently but I guess that's not really his style which is his problem... I can understand from mum's point of view re: the age gap etc etc. As someone who has a daughter about the same age as NN, I have some sympathy for mum's sentiments. She's not an evil woman at all, just a concerned mother. 

The trouble with HSY (even though I love him) is that he's socially inept particularly with the older generation for whom optics (good manners and willingness to communicate) is important. I say this as an ethnic Chinese who was raised by people who still valued the old ways in some form or another. All of his good qualities are only known to the people who are close to him as well as the audience and let's face it, he doesn't really try very hard with his grandfather or stepmother either. His boys at K&K know very well that he's a softie at heart despite all the growling and snarling.

Although I have come to appreciate his finer qualities, I think HSY is essentially a kind of Peter Pan. I don't know much about the origins of this story but to me he is the boy that hasn't grown up. I suppose the gaming context adds to that impression (everybody speaks derogatorily of the gaming industry as something boys do) while the K&K crew are his Lost Boys. On top of that, socially and emotionally he's stunted. Ironically, however, this is what makes him quite suited to NN despite the chronological age gap. 

HSY isn't our typical 29 year old (whatever the social expectations might be) or at least the age gap isn't an issue the way it is for others. NN at 19 is mature and super intelligent for her age. She's travelled independently to attend conferences and competitions. They are both experiencing their first serious relationship. He's inexperienced and clueless, she's equally inexperienced and clueless. He's focused all his energy on building his dream team.

We know this but mum doesn't. I suppose this is part of HSY's development. How much does he really like NN? What is he willing to do to get her back and get mum on side?

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@gladys57 In episode 11, when HSY said she shouldn't dressed in that way again is referring of her wearing skirt. Because before that, he asked her whether she felt cold or not. The background of that scene should be in winter. For her to wear short skirt in winter just to look pretty for HSY... Firstly, it was not practical for that weather. Secondly, other men also can ogle those legs. I think somebody felt possessive here. :blush:

1 hour ago, kyoko22 said:

@gladys57 In episode 11, when HSY said she shouldn't dressed in that way again is referring of her wearing skirt. Because before that, he asked her whether she felt cold or not. The background of that scene should be in winter. For her to wear short skirt in winter just to look pretty for HSY... Firstly, it was not practical for that weather. Secondly, other men also can ogle those legs. I think somebody felt possessive here. :blush:

@kyoko22, I notice the mini skirt too. Yes, he is showing signs of being possessive.

But I also think he had no guts to tell her about the jargon of the "green hat". He wont because that would imply that she's really his girlfriend.:lol:

Then he told her not to ask him what he'd like her to wear as it was not appropriate in public.:D

1 hour ago, mayra83 said:
  Hide contents

Just saw this and wanted to share with you all :wub: 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1152780230722932736

Sooner or later, I’m yours. Other than you, no one can.” - Han Shangyan  :wub:

And this little pig went squee squee squee all the way home. :wub: What a scene to to look forward to! The way he stares is something of a trademark now...think HSY and his scrutinizing stare, almost like how I would read the small print on a menu without glasses, comes to my mind. The same way TN’s ‘Hmm’ is her trademark reply.

If I recall correctly, he didn’t say that out loud in the novel and when he said it, she was forcefully wrapped in a blanket. :blush: I m past referring to the novel because the drama’s not progressing quite the same no matter how much I try to will it. Haha. But the changes work in the drama. 

I wonder what in the drama triggered his outpouring; for one emotionally stunted, words like these are rare unless under some kind of duress. I m surprised he became capable of saying that aloud. He does go for what he wants rather relentlessly- like a bulldozer razing obstacles and difficulties to the ground. As long as he knows what is right for him, he doesn’t bother about what other pple think. But does so kindly and measured manner. I guess that’s why he changes the subject a lot with his grandpa to end the nag. Heh. And why he doesn’t explain himself to Mom in the sad episode.

Perhaps with sweet, open-hearted, devoted TN, he is different. He probably sees her as his safe harbour where he can be himself and express/do what he needs to without judgement. He’ll want to keep the one who sees the sadness behind his smile and understands the loneliness of one who leads. 

I'm glad from the preview, HSY got eaten up by jealousy. Jealous of CEO Xiang who wanted to try to pursue TN. Jealous of Xiao Mi who accidentally leaned on TN's shoulder. Jealous of Solo because Xiao Ai tried to match both of them. Served him right for giving up on TN so easily and hurting her with his harsh words. 

5 minutes ago, kyoko22 said:

I'm glad from the preview, HSY got eaten up by jealousy. Jealous of CEO Xiang who wanted to try to pursue TN. Jealous of Xiao Mi who accidentally leaned on TN's shoulder. Jealous of Solo because Xiao Ai tried to match both of them. Served him right for giving up on TN so easily and hurt her with his harsh words. 

Care to share the preview link please, i have been waiting till the time HSY finally get jealous and understand he cant lose her hahaha :w00t::w00t::wub::wub: do you know what ep will that be?

Those previews (ep 24-27) are all over on youtube!:)

Tonight's episodes aren't that sad.

Spoiler

I laughed myself silly when I saw the picture of TN which HSY sketched for his stepmum. (Wait till TB gets to see it.:lol:)

DT had told her that he gave the necklace to TN and mum wanted to know about her. He denied he had a gf. Finally he drew a pix of TN and slipped it thru her door. So he finally admits he still loves her!:wub:

Luckily she approves of TN from that picture. :lol:

Looks like Xiao Mi & YY will help them reconcile.:P

Cant wait for tomorrow's episodes!:blush:

On 7/21/2019 at 10:27 PM, darkphoenix123 said:

Based on the clips I am assuming that these 2 won’t get back together until after the episodes Gun gets jealous

oh mann.. i think you're right.. gahhh.. more angst until Tuesday then?! noooo.. :bawling:

37 minutes ago, mayra83 said:

https://twitter.com/midnightbliss01/status/1152780230722932736

I am wondering now, do you think it's a dream or real??? :huh:

I think this is from the episode where she will get drunk the second time. In the novel, when she gets drunk the second time, she tries to seduce him and succeeds and I am guessing that in the drama she tries but won’t succeed and this is him stopping her lol

On 7/20/2019 at 11:07 PM, vintage_chutzpah said:

Oh, I just have to add that the original author is also the scriptwriter. That made such a huge impact on keeping the soul of the novel when it was translated to cdrama. Ashes of Love was so butchered. I couldn't even finish it even though Yang Zi was in it.

I thought Ashes of Love did alright all things considering. The drama original arc and additional Run Yu scenes added bit more depth to them. I do think towards last 1/3 it got draggy since it had too much side couple stuff (and I like the side couples). It would definitely have been tighter if it was 40 episodes, like this drama would be tighter and better at 30 episodes (or 20 honestly). But Ashes of Love is also cliche and even more melodramatic when you think about it, so it's understandable 60 episodes is way too much.

While I think MBFB is doing fairly good job adapting and give her all the kudos for it, author on the team doesn't always guarantee keeping close to the novel or that it'll actually be a good drama. Zhao Yao/Legends this year opened really well and bombed in the second half, I've heard. Unrequited Love which isn't getting any buzz on soompi despite being from the same popular trilogy of With You and My Huckleberry Friends. This time the sole scriptwriter is the author, I love her and all but in the end product is merely okay rather than fantastic, the two previous dramas changed a lot more but was much better received. 

54 minutes ago, darkphoenix123 said:

I think this is from the episode where she will get drunk the second time. In the novel, when she gets drunk the second time, she tries to seduce him and succeeds and I am guessing that in the drama she tries but won’t succeed and this is him stopping her lol

Thanks @darkphoenix123 Ahh!!! Haha, Can't wait to see this scene :wub:, i was afraid it was a dream!!!

Archived