[Japanese Drama 2018] Signal, Shigunaru, シグナル

0ly40

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@evie7 Thank you for the ratings information. Shucks... still on a downward trend, unlike the original that went from strength to strength. Ah well. Hopefully it retains decent ratings up to the end. How do you find it as of Ep4?

After a long wait, Ep5 is finally available, thanks to @kRoNix's kind efforts - thank you so much! 

Narratively, it is pretty much similar to the original, right down to the pacing. At this rate, assuming it is a 10-12 episoder, I am very inclined to believe that the conclusion of the City District serial burglaries will see us go straight to the J-equivalent of the Injoo school girl gang rape. The alternative is to compress this case (taking out the Shin Da Hye angle) and include the Hongwon-dong murders. Or else, they could extend it to 16 episodes as per the original. The final option seems rather unlikely since Ep5 ratings plunged to its lowest yet at 6.7%, which is disappointing, but in some ways understandable with no emotional highs or lows, just the bulk of the story basically introducing the burglaries, and the Kudō father-daughter; as well as revisiting Ōyama and Sakurai's past, including a brief explanation of the origin of the watch she has been wearing for 18 years.

I think this is the first time that I am unable to look back and find a favourite scene in the entire episode. Granted, the narrative is straightforward, but even what should have been a nostalgic trip down Sakurai's memory lane as she sits in Ōyama's father's timepiece shop and reminisces about the past fails to move me. Again, the acting fails for me - Sakurai's tears and Ōyama's awkward attempt to comfort her fails to evoke any emotional resonance, comparing unfavourably to CSH's tears in the stairwell after seeing her first dead body and LJH's gruff yet passionate reminder of why they must bring the perpetrators to justice. Similar scene, similar dialogue... yet such a different impact.

The flashback to Kazumi's tragic fate that we see so far smacks more of a horror movie than a horrific tragedy, reminding me in some ways even of the movie "Carrie" and the scene when the prom was engulfed in flames. Not the right impression to imprint on the viewers... one which I really hope would be eradicated in Ep6 when we see the entire tragedy unfold.

Sakaguchi Kentarō continues to nail his role, and it is a treat to watch him week after week. Kitamura Kazuki is an enigma for me - bordering sometimes on overacting. However, he is spot on in every emotional scene, delivering the anguish that Ōyama goes through from case to case to case - every single heartache that would sear him, giving him far more than his fair share of 2.5 litres of tears. I wish I could say the same for Kichise Michiko, because I desperately want Sakurai to resonate with me as much as the male leads. If we do get an adaptation of the Hongwon-dong case, that would be her chance to finally shine since that case in particular demands the spot-on delivery of a wide spectrum of emotions, both in the past and present day, covering the unspeakable trauma of the horrifying experience that she goes through. Now, I really hope it will be showcased.

Timeline comparisons:

Case 3 to date [Parts 1 to 2]:

Spoiler

AJbdvbbdsEAV2mj_XGlONkFNYm9B1DMaea7owdJlsueBGIm-iwO8ASx08ybbalDXlsajb_oXjLxLtTecdmCapDc06Aoo-Gn5DyTIlEFuPvCO6o5lxI6FvQ9I_as4mUrcyZVOJ8SiBy2E4NwssV1Z-dGMruI_PiI5IcNe3Cz5ogV0_hqPA_u2_A8Asau0CikO9U4sd5MsQdtiM6WDDtAF_GzurqtCgzkU4e0on0t2P27X7H0mrZKQWjVpncQXajbsWN67U2LsncW5hGFv7pIZLJxihCqhHNFaPyiM3XzC1orhs4Yo8XhH5yLazBZLX2sLLslC8d2wG4H0rSRC5fVMoYiDzWleqe9nJniTB0YvyZpicbH-Ko5Eca3qvQnI28jRNqg_IMOrycx9-tXTjPSODuxRkzUW1d3m-kHLcRIee248vuIhbMGtCiiZfnc3bvtacRg22v8gWWYJqTsswaRFZlnDZ_m1IRD_Q1c73KtMGw_jq6zXWSGBT8Nihz9DE0fDfwLIP_gseZYOnc6m3JgFpvjnEbrvihdCV2YTE58c6nT1X7aaF1Wo-xQvvvnldFc7JqibngESWwQBxyQWyRK5bKESFQMQN41Rdb5pJ3dshFAtL9sfQlovPXprfg2grjWYh3a1u2fuIGgNamubJDj1oyQ3fwLzEox_rEkZGuJ5aOKpu_0AcAHyKfe_tdeMSfI50mi5LYqxgwVLOXYNSCTDn7tb0uh0aTljaWIA7sgqbfyL5sA=w1460-h564-no

UbWLPKcOo3Y6mkqjeKwJ0uxrmfEqk_jyRpz5OdiTG8Qb4wLn8PrpokUUb6TYxvc2LePA0jkOOJHEI161saMw7rjaLNMjT1OABInAZUtCEODr8MrLVMUAu5b5e3jhdgnvDgCt2ak5a11sJtI27wjHurXB2_Zyt4V0iYqwRkyALJA4Wc4yL4qmaJu23611Vf11sSYESHuFq2d_36Uh9tz2H15nRZ7Y22pDJBe-B44JfLfxnv0C04aRnbFfqZiX1n4d2lbdH54dxR09vM-rAJCDUla88_cQKutg1e3u_oxkDCEbE7JK_YLhWIoqGRg8m8ZgU0SwZ6EK5M4CWJKpjcWZ-jNP6sXs9RdaokQhvArVgtNZoz4aQ2Qgc0jFoQm_XNLjs21TS51jiTpUiT1xdfURJo5ubt1rtPXYxHLNCuqGFH-JpMBz8SDyD49dWZO0pCGUtQooH2wsSmcGsw5LmWRRJh2HOlkLt2AIkRSmLEDpvIW-4CEGponjFcozjuxN0wy3N0BUR6hF70LiYNWFqz_jG8SWiKqXUB3PvJ_kWw2FicgGVb7Rnj8tOHkBsRCYwk6Z9rj_nbjKc2UvAkIF-ewU9zsP3WTM2rXTJzui7jSV2jg05udMRYmNsDZtrmCOyUF8V0Tv-9YbwVkA4NH-V-KhF1D7ShfB5MImskrRRf-0FPrhjUFlm7Z03wPByeDJN7lOAY3bnFspwSl4sPt4pSQWKuDh2F4frQEgZJBJvpDO_x38RrI=w1468-h733-no

Ep6 tomorrow night. Please let it deliver.

@lee-chan Midori's death is tragic, especially since it was known ahead of time, but ultimately fate still demanded its victim. This is a recurring theme in this drama - how much fate can be tampered with, the danger of attempting to defy or manipulate it - whether it turns out for the better, or worse or in vain. Not to mention the impact on those who know how it has changed due to their tampering, and will have to live with the consequences of their actions.

A cool Sakaguchi Kentarō and the producer of Signal (assuming Google Translate has not misled me!)

Ep6 is a collection of highs and lows, but the performances more than make up for it, sealing its place for me as one of the most memorable episodes yet.

First the lows. The impact of the event that claimed Kazumi's life and set Kudō down the path of destruction is dampened by an incredibly lacklustre execution. In place of the horrific Hanyoung Bridge disaster which LJH and OKT witnessed first-hand, we have the news of a 4-vehicle collision involving the bus, which Kudō and Ōyama watched in Josai Precinct, amid poorly narrated news reporting. While not negating the tragedy that unfolded, having seen the original, this version falls flat. Thankfully, the Carrie-like flashback of Kazumi is not seen in the actual accident itself, and we only see the girl slump back into her seat in resignation upon realising that she is being abandoned as the firefighters give the order to retreat, before the fateful explosion.

Where this episode shines is in the emotional strings that it tugs. More and more, we see the real Iwata underneath, beyond the apparent lackey to Nakamoto that he seems to be. This is evident first and foremost when Sakurai is killed and Iwata's veneer of business-like brusqueness finally cracks in the face of Saegusa's accusations. His anguish as he grabs hold of Saegusa's lapels after his deceptively mild "Weren't you near the crime scene yesterday?" is so raw, so painful to watch as he struggles to contain the grief he can no longer hide - proof of how much he does care after all, much to Saegusa's stunned realisation. Through it, we are reminded that he was in charge of the Violent Crimes team when Sakurai first transferred to their precinct as their first female officer in 1998, and he, more than anyone else, has known her and watched her grow and mature from the rookie officer who could not even drive, to the seasoned detective 20 years later. Iwata's convictions which has been blurred for whatever reason, is again seen, when he explodes in frustration at the unfair reality that people would always be treated differently based on their backgrounds, even as he tries to convince Ōyama to accept that painful fact.

An additional scene which serves to twist the knife in Saegusa's pain, is in Anzai's recount of Sakurai's regard and hopes for the younger man, which she never divulged. Too late, he understands how she has been quietly trying to mentor him, and her frustration when he is out of line. This realisation finally gives him the impetus to try and change the past once more, in order to somehow change the future.

Performances are strong all around, and this time I am convinced by Kichise Michiko, who delivers Sakurai's professionalism in the face of the kidnapping, down to the fateful moment in the refrigerator truck. Sakaguchi Kentarō nails Saegusa's grief in the aftermath, while Kitamura Kazuki is just as convincing portraying Ōyama's devastation at what his dogged insistence to break the case has wrought. However, the standout performance is undoubtedly Kōmoto Masahiro's delivery of Iwata's anguish over Sakurai's fate - all the tightly reined-in grief and blame brimming in his eyes in that one moment before he regains control of his emotions and reverts back to his impassive demeanour. Breathtaking and worthy of a standing ovation, and I tear up each time I rewatch that scene.

9Qru-CgbcBgkkCkmiHZ5fd0eVAcwm3g6C9fYL2I6tUlocihiCW5qu-8ee4NPluNCjUqDzeCH2NdYa0aylslxZZ5c4vMHgFHacnBgYliaKUBXzrabOV9UwKgbVL7iH1WTp7enjOOXlSN8WKxRUU85nRgXOYSKedCPGWy_QRBTjBIR_Xn_fR--E-1ZPXVyohNt7U-Z7IcHfFLubk_De3nBcib1ssIdwWetAejqtQURdvtrdAAr-0S7mpTNX0i0Ak9nm607JBCgsnHjkhQClk4N0n3LhU0jy_UqOVxyXuYBGPiCRCfTW_puB3oEkhl1L5aFiG7yYSb9PNIZWX82FKsu2cClUdYRI-Y57oefy9HOwfkdKMUEXBxPt9hRH2sQZB8-HGh7EftvlylhH10uzOVKHZBiygq0Iu4_FnpuIQlJRo_0g59TWUYSMBVKol9niFz4EPCUwoFmaqTVAKby-aRhVlVLd55lhkmkj1hpYLJnYpzlvdC9bCmCBmp2o0o8dNPhm8VmUpMHVoJqINcg8hDawKTMfBjM5UzmEw9LD2tKsQQrU98ha-jdDOHfHMIwlCfb8HxvG-hj-2RrEMnFgvc6HMItxC6Rlf4dTvW6Ovhz8DWKZzVhngoF3McCDVvUcJXwiH2Huo2CaGS2IqkbYBVwOLCyBldm70wT=w800-h450-no

Timeline comparisons:
Case 3 to date [Part 3]

Spoiler

SyxI0mWqt_k8Be16Dx3xiRNak1cuGQIkPI3VNkjfIjIOFnhIZK5AGM4wOXgEf6PiMfmJN7lRSwllxP04uATVhZwo2fyhfhbA3QMbTGHHnP3MDvH3KmDaLUWQkw6GzI_LchzjJSVxnjl0g5fK-O6Wrp0M_VYSD9L3MPNdr4seEaXqUu0qIBbPZsVncGPXNhX-bhVYZtY5mCWCh7JxUCiWwtrwHk4hBty4iYH1fM18Eu86Vnr9wEuEGrZ3tUeAetNuggB3gQyGdfxX_zN4dnus8x6_b_aONf2u9jmHK0XG8bi7NN2qv-8CvBiHqbZE-8pnsDLhlLd9517xKgy7FVpzgBnlAhEVqw8a3HnBWyNl8_2JvJZhtLon91mUhdfKXzvavgh8Fupk856gxQcqMm0cV-woOUZNlwxvE3WKw2fwqHXkr2ML_BuJHCyrjBYoamx2NlXbM2R7dE-JrSDTAXU9eMkILD4Tmo2YHDYp2hUbP0RIYr_fh4CmOTbcoV2jkTXX1yDASdBNs2tZausdV8pnSp6dKKVEMA-gCT5ZEOuli2XQHpIA3sehPAgqZwB8NsonhbLFrvU8PM28vG4ALKtskUbzvTi3KVGR_yP5w83lrweQ9Frc8Jwf3slTshskctoZsFsDPUcJDeWOHrgXxBXh0QWWhX-VwlsN=w1464-h861-no

If the preview is anything to go by, the Shin Da Hye angle, and the Hongwon-dong case will be discarded, bringing us straight to the Injoo school girl gang rape case. Assuming we have only 4 more episodes left, this is a wise decision since the original took more than 5 episodes to bring the last case to its conclusion, and this will mean that the pacing will remain measured all the way to the end. Rooting for the drama to go from strength to strength, culminating in an equally memorable conclusion.

@liddi thank you for constantly subbing this drama. I actually am still getting to episode 05. I usually download it, although 06 i cannot find a link to download it. I'm liking Oyama's raw emotions so far. You can genuinely feel his pain. 

@lee-chan Thank you very much for your kind words.

In practically every case that he has investigated with Saegusa, Ōyama goes through so much - the death of Midori, the guilt associated with this case, putting his life on the line in the Tashiro Ayaka case. I remember Jo Jin Woong who played Lee Jae Han (Ōyama's counterpart) in the original kdrama, once said it was a really dark time in his life when he filmed Signal, having to mentally go through all the emotional upheaval and bleakness, that he deliberately chose a totally different character in his next drama. Certainly, it is a very emotionally draining role and it is to Kitamura Kazuki's credit that he brings us along with him as he rails, grieves and mourns through the senseless deaths and injustice.

As expected, Ep7 starts diverging from the original in terms of narrative, forgoing the Shin Da Hye angle of the serial burglaries case, as well as the Hongwon-dong serial murders, and bringing us straight to the beginning of the Musashino school girl gang rape case. Knowing the usual length of jdramas, this direction is welcome since this would hopefully allow them not to have to sacrifice narrative quality for the sake of quantity. What really intrigues me is how they would work around the time that they have left. In the original, 5 episodes was required to cover the Inju gang rape case up to the conclusion. If I understand correctly from their latest tweet, there are 3 episodes left, so I am a little concerned that the pacing will be rushed. Fingers crossed it won't be.

In view of the adjustments, it is inevitable that the plot would change more than it has so far. Perhaps it's just me, but I find that the dots do not connect as clearly as they should have. In the Shirogaoka District serial burglaries, only three families were targeted (by their own sons, no less) - Nakane, Hayashida and Shiraishi. The floppy disk containing incriminating corruption ledgers of Congressman Nozawa was found among the possessions of the Shiraishi family, which indicates that they are bribing Congressman Nozawa with funds and donations in exchange for the assurance that their company would be a crucial entity of the country's business in Southeast Asia. Come to think of it, if the floppy were restored to Congressman Nozawa, and not the Shiraishi family, wouldn't that mean he is no longer beholden to them? I cannot see him restoring the evidence instead of destroying it, evidence that would prove his guilt, back to the ones who are bribing him. Unless there is tacit understanding between both parties, and the retrieval of the floppy is merely to prevent it from being exposed - which would neither benefit both the congressman nor Shiraishi Heavy Industries. Also, does this case end with the slap on the wrist for Tomohiro after all, never having to pay for the crimes he wrought? Truly disappointing if that were the case.

Another jarring note is how Sakurai suddenly pours out her assessment of Ōyama's character to Saegusa, after catching him asking around for remains that fit his description, which to me, comes out of left field. While Anzai had divulged Sakurai's regard for the younger man after her death, it feels odd to see how quickly Sakurai seems to open up to Saegusa regarding a man who is officially a corrupt cop, when she has no inkling as to the reasons for his curiosity. Still, I thought it adorable how they portrayed her return from the dead, with Saegusa touching her to verify that she really is real, and suggest the celebratory meal which pleases Yamada and Kojima no end. It is also sweet how Sakurai asks what he would like to order after Yamada has bulldozed through the menu, which reflects the affection she holds for the younger man despite her crusty exterior.

The Musashino school girl gang rape case is up next. How is that tied back to Congressman Nozawa? Are we going to see the same familial relations that drive the manipulation of this case as in the original? From what I can gather, the sons of the 3 families do not appear to be associated with Musashino in any way. Will Tomohiro be involved in this as well somehow, and finally get his come-uppance? We shall see.

We finally understand why Saegusa has a different surname from his brother Katō Ryōta. Unlike my original assumption, they are full brothers, but Saegusa took on his mother's maiden surname after the arrest of his brother, perhaps at the behest of the paternal relatives who took him in. Here, Iwata has no idea that Saegusa and Ryōta are related, unlike the original, where ACS was privy to this fact but kept it from KBJ regardless. Iwata is a far more sympathetic antagonist than ACS, and his conflict is clear to see, which saddens me more to see his fate, and wonder whether he would have succumb to his conscience this time when the past changes once again.

Timeline comparisons:

Case 3 [Part 4 complete]

Spoiler

GQUyCIaB6XIWeVaWUsxwsg8JjcYv2RNPhCJK0aoK5561lf6ElvBG9piRlA-wNmf71TEKdI1Mdvq1w3PoLdKOulvqESCfFD1lcgzmKhL3BI4QtytKwPWep9_hOqBGUdjeLp51OMp6CPjWzkl9VrG1ewzOCi-VTLh_NP7SWZwXWqQYV0Se7gYho7fEgKb0d3TzGDpoAI1ez2hQNxSrJeWZ6nS6-m7bcoVMetLglsGWFIuru42iOPAnhNVnf70iPaSDR8JNnpEzK_tO15CJIMLDOICmNRHinCMSlA_LzJGxii7RA2MwyHXMNnYyd0JwCOXq8ZXmC-ub4t4pbKIYHLRrIWL212KZUnluzS3zRaQ4jYWp3ls3xW9LlDiO8f_91h_MZvU3KEjnpGdzc1AQbw8VTeJb2_2sp0K8sxNPucUEdCQWJty6gPjla7rHOJNshK9ANGL-QPOpuC6ltJ9uGkjycNgYLenZ293NEtp_OhJOFigQexj8bcgAXh6qF0gHV4UoAlyihZmZbs2K7GDccnNUyHjagmNTdH6g-kvtoC1gT5DVZmHIHZN3dBxicVO68Pr0FDWanke0ICv52L3FH91qYtzTuuUrMJymygNlb3z28HlLrpl7cmwvbBKSI7We_BO89IWZBTvZMG9krPrByHT1cuq3L396lSMhsXgk1ymgeI18J7OXezDMedh1EYBGz3KBAa4ofHYMuR1Opn_C8E42fLZdi_Ld0WZBmdhSX2jqhACQbOI=w1493-h937-no

Case 4  (Case 6 in the original)  [Part 1]

Spoiler

p6w_8BvyLHd7n_qR801y48khtUIzUrDKHtQLlZjYCeKzR2K5SRrjbeRk_lZMoo0bhdaq7RahCIM41LOMCQRyFNEgiwOXHDubO68z9uOFqX-R6nVw11GDIM_GFLDFVKorTdBshIwhnNCT0VRwK6C-HR8IPwX7totjE5F1eLY1AW5C1Hqj3hxRwUTlXVU0LHO-PXhbndcvRA6tqnfdqIGPD-nnz-mRBpWHICvvcDlTRNS4W03N6_DyvNt5b2JoIahHmebsJHNcqeyk3_WwO4SVwdZhoGHfiUT9rAPZTB3CryJCb_r820uwpPr5t5xqlKWJIHhbsvIgdtNuq5kA5RQkH-Nrs6bUBHVsmh1Aw_QP0sByXSsbCDdnYZDcfGxyGWM2JrHq45NDYXwx2KZZBvJsUjQOvnHgbpTm4Ji1WRFayYGwFV7zhOwk7vP3gUC8Ji6CbckIOteO5jNztK1dtC9ar1yPJzUdKe3D-dFCmed_Hpoyshs1jc1ESHrERbpkZvQtOGzZVEu2TwUj0BNnHyFcsfp2zjnCaUT7XoX5giGpqWupTiVTSlv96cL-Qlq98DdXsUXx1xzStGPEesS_G8TLbd-h4FtiCET6kD3fo2R7SnIsFqJXoSKyPAWp89ni_ONqv_0Gnx4D7JP1bZuOJwiH0r90rW-1qfUF=w1466-h740-no

Ratings continue to drop down to 5.7% as of Ep6, which is truly a disappointing trend. Hopefully they manage to salvage the viewership somehow in the last 3 episodes, and deliver a strong finish. Hopefully.

done with episode 05, once again the past has been altered. this time it changed rather drastically. the police force have really cold people who i feel don't care about anything but just work, except for Oyama and I guess Saegusa. I think Sakurai (is that the name of the female detective) is suppressing her feelings too. I wonder if Oyama's disappearance has something to do with her as well. Not sure though. 

Ep8 ramps up the pace with a simplified investigation process of the Musashino gang rape case. Gone is the anonymous post on the school website which exposes and denounces the heinous crime, and likewise, the red herrings deliberately put in place in terms of the location of the crime. The collective complicity of the local police force is so far unseen, with only Iwata being the one recruited to arrange for the scapegoat. We do see the reason for Congressman Nozawa's involvement, which is yet the success of yet another project that he is a part of, unlike Congressman Jang whose motives were just as driven by vested interest and protection of his nephew.

The culmination of this episode brings us to that scene, when we confirm Ōyama's fate in 2000 at last. Sakurai's growing dread following by devastation as she touches the tell-tale surgical scars on the shoulder blade, and finally sees the ID that confirms her worst fears once and for all, is perfectly delivered. Kichise Michiko has me tearing up with her as she sobs and raggedly calls for the senpai she would never see again, just as Sakaguchi Kentarō's red-rimmed eyes speak of his grief as he accepts the fate that he had until then, even after Iwata's confession, only suspected. Well done.

The two versions of this iconic scene, both just as heartbreaking:

zGAvHP37e7rZXtd8pA3dQPbNkMf5HX7iRqR1DdOMRCODixqVeRp0ixPmcYZU0lp-aRKY-PTEWYTuhXBeSplqx_irALqz15OikTq2BZk4OkfdB7ulAT7W1EWVvQipIH0cYuZiPXYTAT2hIOQQMnXcH-6Z8w7rjxmvdpzTGq7aIoz8u2EeGb88eCeA1qvZpFyEm0_9HKc5bed4YwP32StLdysiErVYzamBb86OjBEAs-aQE5Z4wrVQYDEgOCkZ5YUAUd4R2tJ-UeUNmRhsQdn-eufq_o8IVawMgsEp3zCYSyeej6hWwRd0ouVy7wN9r05C1N-Z0UBWGt9IRHp-MzSTyX2-wm0GaYH4zfg5d-4y_IYlgp90Rj8SCm_1zsF7MAlH03cuLezgtB4uqkefe4diqNJVQEnjyukWIq0cYuwiDJUO_rWzybKjPMCXVoiBc6cQO06mtBuww0L1dxqHPicjmVkd1tjON52Dia-O6sj0yp_Vuv08lUVsyaYafe7s4iNQo6gsnhbDNu3NYFgtCSxrJrGiF4ZPRGwqb3EgQikNnG78hcCE2KwTVJZ_aEWrBi9Hu7nnEmfurChCl5Mvv6C1TY1rFBIFnuLmNZxXjlZKgG9smynsmVeuh77zW1lSYp_Er5ptGgnxSOKnnVcNCyfpMUPOkPgfxdlBeBCWHkjVsH-Ds5GMgTkzB6qRa-6S3CKp_DCJmeYSVz_Abuaik3TPKSdawcQDEIobRUA0LgitnvviNoA=w1443-h715-no

On the other hand, Iwata's death scene was over the top for me. While clearly portraying the dying man's bitter regret of what he did to Ōyama, the over-dramatic death throes falls flat for me, and ultimately fails to move me into feeling regret or pity for him. It is a shame because Iwata is an extremely sympathetic antagonist, one whom I actually root for, so it annoys me that this was so clumsily delivered.

Iguchi Nana's torment and ultimate betrayal is well-portrayed here - kudos to Yamada Aina for bringing all the nuances of her pain to life. My only gripe is how she managed to survive a fall of at least 5 stories in height, and be able to be questioned so quickly after that. In its attempt to differ from the original, where Park Sun Woo actually managed to stop Kang Hye Seung from jumping, this alternate version suffers from glaring inconsistencies. Sigh.

Timeline comparisons:

Case 4  (Case 6 in the original) [Part 2]

Spoiler

zpIsLW6SmdglUeHUiFrgc9PBCZob1z3mkBvbtOTc8xbDtBUFrYPA5xRP5eY-4NI5SOgeOSFTUzI-dXxbDrIE9q1EeirTZB9hsI4wEYUlBe7ZtBq5D47mIVb052Vcd8XuU37yLEnNiWKeegl7juWTq7c4iVsv7dqjBuPdwoIhBNRKVCnMBwiTBOO7U4bt5pi1ePRO25Lm3xMcVO2CBIucGQbtBe5O8gfyiekaG5x5npdh7hR0VNC3ShBsIO4kTLR0jSFisEkYU3YNNbJUWfR8MQOQE3DKH_BUcapHkMt3Wd1Z9_Wj_7g3SKXmTpUNBW7v6q4oCuXrXFERRdt-iMdism6nLZg1tO5nAJ43JdjvkOGan5GDi0Zi3vzYUxHKozcEbVogxNMIGU38LYMxiiURxpccrDH0P-v4P4-rqHaDkFcfzquxe7wtOMDxFd9oVjt7MVplBDRJQMtC47WZSbOEk0nEiN4H0aYUxp2cj8L-d2AsQ6tD_vNpJPpIkgcyU00OSbhD8ZSUPQdnnD_5VEwOsWLz6VKXB7n5npYgqjnq4m1Z8KbnhoB7upJFxYgkeabvomRG8uRoLIzTa5EtsxNCXHNJZ7fNWcBmx-3cLOOt47SeYRZaRZnleMkgBta9Y-kFGIe2GSJd1Mt1pA1QJsGbTpTfhEqk4DZZZQcBNpCvqpR2Z3GQKmeZsYNQ_f5J6QmqLXQgkAQy0jaqIVcJwyWtKl-GFHGC450ifinJpPY502j5PLA=w1437-h937-no

It is expected that details would be glossed over with the accelerated pacing. After all, they are trying to fit 2+ hours worth of material into 45mins. Nonetheless, I personally feel that for all its clumsiness, this version has managed to capture the essence of the original in the short timeframe it has, without losing too much of the narrative. And that is what counts. It is also very encouraging to find that at last, we see the ratings improve in Eps 7 and 8, both commanding 6.9%, a jump from 5.7% in Ep6. Truly hope that they will continue this upward trend with the remaining two episodes. I am already dreading next week, knowing what awaits in Ep9, and hoping that they too, will nail the emotional narrative that made it such an iconic episode in the original version.

It is no mean feat compressing 2.5 hours of original footage to 45 mins, but Ep9 does a commendable job on the whole. Omissions are inevitable, but the core details and heart of the narrative remain intact, touching us emotionally even as we wait in tense anticipation for its finale, bolstered by strong performances across the board.

More than once, I find myself tearing up as familiar scenes play out, perfectly capturing the poignancy of the moment. The iconic omurice scene takes place in a yakitori shop, and Ōyama's compassion and grief as he sees the suffering young boy is perfectly captured by Kitamura Kazuki's beautifully nuanced performance. The cinematography is spot on - the rain drops dripping from young Saegusa's umbrella reflecting the tears that he inevitably sheds each time he eats the omurice; Ōyama, ever faithful, first in the next table, then sitting next to the boy, and always, always following him home quietly. Saegusa's aching words when he at last realises who had been watching over him during his darkest times ("I was... not alone after all."), and later Ōyama's fervent wish for his young friend ("A life free of loneliness. That's the life... I wish for you, Lieutenant.") - tears. And in both versions, this scene, more than any other, is the perfect representation of who the detective is in his young friend's life, long before he ever realised it :bawling:

QFEcFMCLXjlkUB6h3o34jAXJfqIRcfpVTyauXTe29kXAeSoWHUKWk75WEsM8g9SI6djl50g8vPYTxPNSuPLGjAfInAcsbyqy9TLDd3dlr-Iei8d-VYoZBkFwiNfWK335r7gA72Tw2FKmx4o0NQmNoz26BdUQWpzM0Tyg4b9j57yJlEuz8VTuOzJ6tY3izzB8Ex3eqd7VEuCeAjnK7BFU3ELa05KUSFAxXaIM-cWFNCEEOjPtfBaym2vdbTky5l4PU7v-sW7ewJj6R8Y4Si_Tt1mg-akP3CHYBiHPLej4kIRcFlUYjaBkVp-m-CcS7Sm2fsUC5TnccftyHN7rIuTFAf2xEnKwVl4tETKdci2Kktt-7ggKeOkUcur-Id31Yfdggh7j82R4vi82L-tn5urKGwpFp9ijMxwlyDvffArh-Mia0mOdZF2b3O8ZCFP9tuVixpg9BAJz9rbA0tS5Ut-g9naff9SP70_A2OKHVNfRAuofyYjetPJHi-zT2jlT43i5nrHNzVXY2-tNt0l17Q7t4R2eWQ2T9ZfjzNHIWFQBM5cXaDfw4ynsp2HkprmEci4UQkGLMUQsTx1xpPfobiKZNyp3xLo6lKN8WTq7nxavltGWies_qkfLz_JVrLpKTdHvLgPVmmenbnc73_06UNC0Y_w9V3uk4DYurOr8hynwT7SMQpcgyprXxL1NDs8E7t2031km2a1Mgeh5JrT4StHT9KLMgtfox_-mVGe5HY7Sd4uc_4I=w1660-h937-no

Similarly, Saegusa's frantic pleas to Ōyama to save his brother in the closing minutes of the episode moved me immeasurably as well. Sakaguchi Kentarō nails Saegusa's desperation as he begs him to change the past, knowing now that his brother was the victim of foul play after all. In that moment, we can understand why he, despite his fears about messing up everything by tampering with the past, would throw caution to the wind thus. By the same token, Kichise Michiko, while less convincing in Sakurai's grieving scene, is spot on in capturing Sakurai's bewilderment and growing disbelief as she hears the voice of the man she had waited 18 years in vain, coming through the obsolete walkie-talkie. Well done.

I am intrigued by the evidence of the real culprit here - a cassette tape in this version, rather than the red scarf of the original. Could it be a recording of the crime, in the vein of the Shin Da Hye case? Considering the fact that Ryōta originally died on Mar 20, 2000, and Ōyama himself was killed Apr 15, 2000, the identification of the culprit from a recording seems more plausible within the short timeframe of less than a month. We shall see how this plays out.

Timeline comparisons:

Case 4  (Case 6 in the original) [Part 3]

Spoiler

Rg9q0GHBVW-siNdyy3MvcLXCNiAPJf_zeuc41WyrI5XTHmk8dE7YgKaxJPVMqAj-P7PyxGSrjdRxFL5-oLXy-qGAiOklKZDleqrciTbuZ7NJAuGDHXMMwyHDR-6TOM54mOiqA3D4fRk8sAUqrnXXtfF-bG4D4jMR9szu5t0_HFhnElheHSMGVzwE7OsOi6STQeGYqmzZuFLEQmAxbypcYyF9ecTSZv0xKVmlo0lsNdwQKBLVRHfMjg8Ju_EIHthpTv3Z0DqmWhhsP5ILjPrjiwnPAHc4qWEwH-AVlKpfRTZG3bhAOuCwng_Wj7ZBYoY-h2NrlVbwMdH8rt36KGKSyULSI9hFrRlVUrvvZU3N4mdqWcQZeacc-P75mPEtbbIPvkUKdXap_BkFY8QDX3tz6FAiSx22c_KEg6L4WZVVk7BQUDFbfGYrHxOj4igI-UuP0qDsb_fxrtJF1_bpId4tvUtDLnBnyBLZEzNUQ4CAo_x-pP668KmGAUkMP2qp_l1WQWDy6BwJHHDdNZ_BCSxY1gFVSwWiY-7pmM0othayW3gGhxEeUP3ZOGdZ--naIlxCS59cpBfJFgw_lmU8wKkuoVvmZGGfJED8qYxE-Dho2K0ewkajfZ7PbK6au1uUVKRG5Gq99ouxx48vJZBdo7BD8cMZfagKrfMS4M5oZIaPN0qbaK2uM_lyNj_mpN8LKwfUp2meeqdxtpO21scgriNHoD12dKIrYbfgR9sNtkW65kKPQmY=w1423-h937-no

While already knowing how the original ends, there has been sufficient deviations that I cannot be sure how they would conclude it in this version. As such, I will await the finale in breathless anticipation, hoping that it will deliver a strong finish. There is a lot left to cover, but with the additional 15 mins planned, hopefully everything will be well wrapped up without being rushed. Is it Tuesday already?

More goodbye videos from the leads... I did not realise that this was Sakaguchi Kentarō's first starring role. He has definitely done it justice, and I will be sorry to see this end.

And Ōnishi Riku who plays young Saegusa - well done.

i saw these photos around twitter and insta; mighty proud of Kentaro. He always is 2nd lead and finally and lead drama role.

Still starting episode 08 (not reading any spoilers :P) but the corrupt people in the police force and the politicians behind it can be utterly frustrating.

I think ep 9 is my favourite (still reserving judgement for the finale) the scenes in the restaurant were all great in the past and present; and the final scene when Sakurai hears Oyama senpai's voice is so good. I plan to binge-watch the korean version soon, so didn't want to read your awesome comparisons in too much depth.

@lee-chan The corruption that prevails is definitely hard to watch, especially seeing how time and again, justice subverted due to their interference, and the underdogs appearing to have no hope of seeing that injustice redressed. I look forward to your thoughts on the remaining episodes :) 

As for Kentarō, he has certainly done well in his first starring role, nailing Saegusa's wide range in terms of emotions and age, even more so in the last 2 episodes. This twitter post by the director certainly reflects how young he can look, and definitely portrays a high-school boy convincingly.

@q1010 Welcome! So glad to see you on the thread! I agree that Ep9 hits all the right notes in terms of emotions and pacing. Even as someone who already knows what to expect, the remake has on the whole, consistently delivered scenes that move me despite the constraints of having to condense the narrative into a markedly shorter airing time. For me, the pinnacle is the moment Saegusa realises the truth about the role Ōyama has played in his past - the silent friend in the wings, quietly watching over the young boy, giving him a sliver of warmth in his bleak, lonely existence in the form of a steady supply of omurice. What a definitive bond between two people who ostentatiously never met, and only knew each other through a voice on the other end of the walkie-talkie, but have come to care for each other as only few could. 

Am definitely keen to see what your thoughts are on the finale. Subs have been ready for some time so hopefully raws will be out soon.

@liddi I enjoy your analyses/wording (I can't put my thoughts as well into words)

I watched Ep 10 on TV with Japanese subtitles only so am keen to discuss it once english subtitles are out (I couldn't understand the final scenes). I did notice there is uploads of 'raws' with chinese/japanese hardsubs on the web...

Archived