[Japanese Drama 2018] Signal, Shigunaru, シグナル

0ly40

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At last it's here! Caught Ep1 C-subbed and waiting for English subs to be available so that I can rewatch yet again. Frankly speaking, it took me quite a few tries to finally get some grasp of what is going on, amid the warring expectations vs reality that bombarded me. To start off with, names in C-subs do not automatically translate to the actual pronunciation of the names in Japanese, especially to a Japanese illiterate like me. In addition, I had some initial kneejerk reactions to what I felt were characterisation issues. However, in the end, I forced myself to stop, took the time to make a timeline comparison and now, I am far more positive about the episode than I was during my initial watch.

Due to my confusion with names in C-subs, I compiled a character/name listing alongside its Korean counterpart for my reference, which would hopefully be helpful to those who have watched the original as well:

B4W4byXZqzH1Xus-R-Zgrd349578srCaJILDXn_6tqmabwzSch9daSDa5_WD6xQ3hCOEkcS7xU6TZWmbRO9tk1MGQpWhJe9g3mBfVJaVUksalRfCqsdWiIGCs7nMc1vTCIQ_cAQ4GBWG0Oz3qrZBegYWV9dHgAITER0jkeInqc_RG6Z4qoElQA20IH-lfExovwWkIX5ScRG1bi98--5z5M3rgQ8Akt-MYnijRTAIyJgkaNfFYVaJjI1ewEFbTWS3MY16koHS4wHqBSdf5fMOjiK9LQWfhdRcS9YwL7C0d9JSRQh26g1XoXus8XfGERgJbCW63kQF7SwLO2Bf8a6kvXvDik4XeOSYNMExwi1D2Z37auTPUdzKufAez4rQvub2p-PnnWY6owT3tScWpLAYAGgvvPIYoCqOJNTi5jPgTAASFcHHbeBqgligQYG15eilubDQWVn-tTsV4wQh4hvkeoDg5ueKJ1kX8J8MKQ-83dKHL7f3z9DR5i1ssWxZVoJjj1Jw1KjTWx6PArYYO3mML9pIGEG_UqOzQ5qZl5yf83VHTlRZ_gbrB06VzxD6ftJBqMpYk3mqPh0WN8uUcQnE3nGxh5pv7kOGDLGPBAU=w667-h434-no

Some initial thoughts after watching and rewatching several times:

As I have already come to expect from the trailer, Ep1 is almost frame for frame a replica of the original. To be honest, I was initially somewhat disappointed because I had hoped for one that is adapted to Japan, rather than a copy. Loving and knowing the original as well as I do, it was a foregone conclusion that I would end up comparing the two versions, and there is a kneejerk sense of expectation as each character and scene is introduced, which actually ended up working against me and my enjoyment of the episode.

Characterisation wise, Ōyama's first appearance caught me off-guard and rubbed me the wrong way - bumbling, awkward, righteous but out of his depth - the total antithesis of my very first impression of LJH - forceful, dogged, driven. However, in the end, as I set aside my misgivings, sat down and rewatched, paying closer attention to the timelines, at last, Ōyama's initial depiction made more sense. Saegusa is serviceable so far though I love PHY more, and Sakurai past and present pales in comparison to CSH. However, it is early days yet, and I will continue to keep an open mind as the subsequent episodes unfold, and see if they too, will endear themselves to me, just as the original has done.

The timeline comparisons are in spoilers for those who have not watched:

Spoiler

hC-U8Zu3F98eJaP7bVZo_kUJsXdTeCWJ9Omdxo7CnZzgXNSE7s169avRHAamL31cR_yzFnyIKAAFZtjMwbIlDdMea_WAUbMSil40pF-CXoUKE3rHv_b1Ko76S_NkXSIf47touNDWIsFkLLhpewhsTwMIrfA30pQRhODUuBfjeAWbXVuPPRq9IJXIV7zliVUdhay_pajoqAerkph0wPcCRtLPTmuBTm-Eh0xywvhR6cqZp4_pCpUBDEH3vrUrtYuVwqCr9BC6go3G6rwqXs-aZ5Ms704DVfCz7kaQxMDdNxPgBj7P6KKf1EoBbQW4NXa0bULg73T56Kzw6GKr1RhJzjI1e4BzAzeRZ1q4vUe0EYucvOcHbbHxpx_LoSnz9yJHCLqh5dBUrANtC8SszgARu5vXZ5o7MsqtNB4wKpvGlc113vwrOWmiVrTUc8zYfK-4H82vXAXryjvq1kJDEEmw-7Irs9gQlABs_SUH6NFChc7j2JSScrIP8380KizdSL6oLksPdgmFgwa4LR_dULKAupfxwJ6LQElO4OKKbK65QaebT2wdvKq01m2jiu5FcVsSSx_fOA18FcUoqS2HbW151CYc0m86cnQRpaISmuf9rUmZnlUapCp3Oq7Ndw000Eu7JpzUtjutSzoFLEj5Vv8zJJtcqAbG-AlOdrnzWCb67fAZ5BBPsHkIlX67_ZYBucwr022kXZAeokDa3QCejS7Qkn3mVmCUPDIj6fCorFHEHjNrIjs=w1384-h522-no

I will not discuss the case, because it will basically be a rehash of the original.

However, I will note some points of interest:

Spoiler

Overall timeline and sequence

In the original, the first case happens after PSW's death, and PHY was already all alone, abandoned by his family, so chronologically, the timeline of the last case (Injoo gang rape) occurs before the first case ever began.

The remake however shows that Saegusa had a warm, happy family with his brother Ryōta and mother when Ayaka was kidnapped. Since it is shown that Ryōta will be incarcerated just like PSW, it then begs the question what kind of sequence are we looking in this version. If Ryōta's case is still the be all and end all, what kind of dynamics would we see of past Saegusa and Ōyama, and how would their lives intersect?

Does this also mean that the kidnapping case was Ōyama's first case, unlike the original, where it originated from the Geonggi Nambu serial murders?

Time gaps

There is a 5 year gap between Ayaka's kidnapping/murder, and Ōyama's discovery of Hashimoto Keisuke's remains in the manhole of Tanihara Memorial Hospital. Here, we finally see a far more mature, assured Ōyama compared to the flustered rookie we were first introduced to when he did the presentation of the case 5 years prior, which at last makes sense.

On the other hand, the original had a mere gap of 6 days between KYJ's kidnapping, and LJH's discovery at Sunil Psychiatric Hospital. At the time, Seo Hyung Joon's body was still intact, having just died recently.

What this does indicate is that there is a 10 year gap between past and present, compared to the 15-year gap of the original.

It also does mean whatever happens to Ryōta will occur within this 5 year window.

Saegusa's rank

During the very first transmission, it is interesting to note Saegusa's response to Ōyama addressing him as "Lieutenant", where he mumbles "I'm not even a lieutenant". This indicates that Saegusa will one day become a lieutenant, and only then, will warn Ōyama not to go to Tanihara Memorial hospital. In other words, we should be seeing an extensive jump in the present timeline as well, for Saegusa to have risen up the ranks.

In the original, the present was always chronological, while the past would skip from 2000 to 1989, then 1995, 1997, 1999. 

Seeing that the present year is 2010 (in keeping with Japan's abolishment of statute of limitations on 28 Apr 2010), I wonder how the parallel timelines work in this universe.

Useless trivia

The first case occurs on Apr 10, 1995, with the statute of limitations expiring 2010. The drama premiered on Apr 10, 2018. 

It took several false starts, but now I think I have finally found my footing. With the various departures in terms of sequences and timelines, I am excited to see how this would unfold in the new version. Is it Tuesday yet?

@liddi Thanks much for the names, chart timeline, and the points of view. I read everything . For the past and the present time line, in the original it had 15 yr gap and this has 10 year gap? Haven't watch yet  raws but was the murder similar to that of the original?

Though I feel already ( I need a sub please) it's not going to be to be the same as how I love the original. In the same way,. I likely will not love the kdrama version of Hundred Million Stars from The Sky as much as I love the original. Sorry for the off topic. Just some analogy when an original  kdrama or  jdrama gets a version or remake. 

Anyway,  I read others say it's horror....ish but captivating.   I  want to share my post from  kdrama Signal thread immediately after I'd watch raw of ep1.  This jdrama, I hope it's as good of a feel I have just like in the original.

Spoiler

Just watched raw! whew! Already my current favorite!

I like everything about this. The muted tones, suspense, the eeriness. The acting. LJH.

I like KHS character as well but I need to understand better also the other male lead.

Most scenes are highlights for me but I'll mention  a couple

Sad  quiet despair of the mother waiting, looking, seeking.. about her little girl! Everyday she was standing at the school,  in front of the police station. Lee Je Hoon character witness to the years of waiting.

The eerie scene when he went inside the building  then outside and then saw the  remains of victim. The scene with KHS and when he was saying something to the reporters. His emotions and anger.

Of course I didn't understand  the dialogue the whole 1:16.18 episode. I hope this would be sub quickly.

Posted January 23, 2016

But I can tell you folks, there were  scenes I was covering my face with my hands  and I was..omg!  Scared af.

Rating for premiere episode.

Signal (Fuji TV, Tue 9pm) Sakaguchi Kentaro, Kitamura Kazuki, Kichise Michiko Ep 1 - 9.7%  cr: 

Oh I remember this scene....

trans: one story husband was the father of a kidnapped child

Twt the viewer was confused.

trans:  This flow is difficult because the person who has a pretty face is cute and the drama itself goes back and forth many times!

On 4/12/2018 at 9:20 AM, liddi said:

As I have already come to expect from the trailer, Ep1 is almost frame for frame a replica of the original. To be honest, I was initially somewhat disappointed because I had hoped for one that is adapted to Japan, rather than a copy. Loving and knowing the original as well as I do, it was a foregone conclusion that I would end up comparing the two versions, and there is a kneejerk sense of expectation as each character and scene is introduced, which actually ended up working against me and my enjoyment of the episode.

I'm waiting for subs before I get into this one and felt the same way after just watching the trailer.  I had the same hope as you that it will not be a copy but would be more of an adaptation w/different cases and circumstances. I'm not one who will watch remakes of things I enjoyed. If I love a book, I will not watch the movie:tongue: but really want to give this drama chance.

@jongski @evie7 For all it's worth, I just created English subs translated from C-subs and Indonesian subs. Do drop me a PM if you're interested.

The case is pretty much the first case in the original, apart from the differences I highlighted. So far, I find it lacking in terms of overall performances, but I will definitely continue to watch as I am intrigued with how they would adapt it, and how the differences come into play. Fingers crossed that they deliver and give us yet another strong version of this well-loved drama.

@evie7 I'm envious that Singapore will be airing it, since it is then a given they will have official English subs! Let me try and see if it is also broadcast on cable TV in my country. I certainly hope so.

@blueclueblue I am not a huge fan of remakes either, because there is already a preconceived notion about what to expect, and the more we love the source material, the higher the expectation becomes for the adaptation, which, in many ways, can make it difficult (for me) to give the new version a fair chance. The remake does miss the mark so far in terms of performances because the original cast set such a high standard, and are the definitive characters in my heart. Main cast aside, some of the supporting characters like Ayaka's mother, also pale in comparison to the actress who played Kim Yoon Jung's mother - to this day, whenever I revisit this case, her palpable grief brings me to tears alongside her every single time. However, others like ACS's counterpart Iwata is hitting the right notes for me - here is a man who is clearly conflicted (perhaps far more so than ACS) and perhaps in this version, far more regretful of what happened to Ōyama than what ACS was. We shall see.

Revisited Ep1 once more and I am seeing incongruity in terms of times which, without actually knowing the language, I am unable to say whether it is the problem of the translation from the source subs, or the script itself. When Ōyama bumped into young Saegusa, he was informed that Ayaka's body was found (Apr 12, 8AM based on the news). Yet during the briefing he gave on Apr 13, 1995, he said that her body was discovered Apr 12, 11:19PM. Which is which? I guess in the overall scheme of the story, the actual time does not really matter, but discrepancies like these stick out like a sore thumb when the plot demands attention to details in the timeline. Am just hoping good English subs by subbers who know the language will be available so that I can set my mind at rest :tongue: 

18 hours ago, liddi said:

For all it's worth, I just created English subs translated from C-subs and Indonesian subs. Do drop me a PM if you're interested.

Thank you for doing this.:heart: I'm totally clueless when it comes to downloading raws and attaching subs to them but one of the illegal sites has just uploaded Signal episode 1 w/English subs.:o I'm not convinced that this is coincidence but I have some Sunday chores to do before I will allow myself to check it out. Will be back after I finish them and get a chance to watch.  

@evie7 Had a look at one of those sites and those are certainly the subs I did, (excluding the credits to original subs, and including some mistakes which I fixed later :tongue: ) In any case, do watch and let's discuss more after that. I really really want this remake to be a worthy adaptation of the original and I hope that the next 11 episodes will see this happen. I may be mistaken but from Kichise Michiko (who plays Sakurai)'s tweet, apparently they are still filming. Are Jdramas not pre-produced? One scene that really stood out in my mind is the moment Saegusa detects Yoshimoto Keiko in the crowd - the pregnant silence as he notices her every single detail, before saying "Found her." - perfect use of background music (or silence) which heightens the impact of the scene. Brilliant.

Saw this write-up on their official website about the original:

原作はヒューマンサスペンスの傑作

原作は、リアルな人間描写と緻密な構成が感動と興奮をもたらし、韓国で数々の賞を受けたヒューマンサスペンスの傑作『シグナル』。謎の無線機を通じて、“現在”を生きる刑事と“過去”を生きる刑事の二人が、共に未解決事件を解き明かすことで現実が塗り替えられるという矛盾。さまざまな人間模様が織りなす展開が、次々に謎を深める予想不可能なヒューマンサスペンス。

cr. ktv.jp/signal

which Google translate (I know! I know!) translates it thus:

The original is masterpiece of human suspense

The original is a masterpiece of Human Suspense that received a lot of awards in South Korea, "Signal" which brings excitement and excitement to real human figure depiction and precise composition. The contradiction that reality is repainted by two people, a detective who lives "present" and a detective who lives "past", by solving unresolved cases together through a mysterious radio. Deployment that various human patterns interwoven is a unexpected human suspense that deepens mystery one after another.

Hopefully someone who knows Japanese will be kind enough to give a more cohesive translation.

What really struck me though, was the fact that Kim Eun Hee's name was not mentioned, at least not in this passage, which I find to be surprising and frankly, disappointing. Was she even consulted at all when they set out to do the remake, seeing Signal is her brainchild? Or do scriptwriters lose the rights to their work the moment it is sold to the production company? I don't know enough of the industry to understand the workings of it.

Awesome recap and comparision of the two versions, @liddi! As for the subs, I'm sending you a PM. 

Overall, I'm pleased with ep01, I loved the eerie atmosphere where Ooyama and later Saegusa enter the abandoned hospital - something that captivated me in the Korean version too. Definitely staying for the next episoded!

@igniculus Thank you for your kind words. I have responded to your PM.

I think the atmosphere is tight and set up extremely well across the episode. Plotwise, I have no issues either, but that could also be attributed to the fact that it is pretty much the same case from the original. Certainly the atmosphere at Tanihara Memorial Hospital is just as creepy as Sunil, including the manhole scene, but I don't find it that eerie anymore perhaps because the element of surprise is no longer there. However, the search for Yashimoto Keiko was well-delivered, from the moment Saegusa identified her from the crowd, to running after her car, and Sakurai stopping her in her (wheel) tracks. Let's see whether Yoshimoto Keiko will be just as chilling as Yoon Soo Ah in the interrogation room, which Oh Yoon Ah nailed perfectly in the original.

From the preview, it looks like the Gyeonggi Nambu serial murders will be adapted too. I wonder if it will again be a copy of the original, or will they base it on a cold case from Japan. 

On 4/15/2018 at 5:59 PM, liddi said:

really really want this remake to be a worthy adaptation of the original and I hope that the next 11 episodes will see this happen. I may be mistaken but from Kichise Michiko (who plays Sakurai)'s tweet, apparently they are still filming. Are Jdramas not pre-produced? One scene that really stood out in my mind is the moment Saegusa detects Yoshimoto Keiko in the crowd - the pregnant silence as he notices her every single detail, before saying "Found her." - perfect use of background music (or silence) which heightens the impact of the scene. Brilliant.

I really want this to be a good adaptation too. I did find myself comparing both versions side by side but it's hard not too if the Japanese version is going to follow the Korean practically line by line. I'm hoping that this version will be more of an adaptation rather than a remake. I find that Japanese dramas have such a different feel to them. I love the imagination, emotions/feels and the different take they have. I'm hoping that this drama will reflect this.   Yes, jdramas do that live shooting thing too. 

@jongskiI just finished Hundred Million Stars

Spoiler

I agree that there is no way I would bother watching a k-drama remake of it . I just don't think they would be able to recreate the darkness, twistedness, sadness of this drama I can't even see them not changing the subject matter of the drama. TBH it took me a few days to process it. I got so wrapped up in the whole tragedy of it it was hard to let go of the ending.  Now all I can say is wow it really is one of the best dramas I have watched. I'm happy I was able to escape all of the spoilers people insisted on sharing.

@evie7 I had a quick look at the synopsis for Ep2, and it looks like it will diverge quite drastically in some ways. As I expected, there is a timejump of 8 years in the present timeline, which will bring us to 2018. Am not quite sure how the interactions between the two timelines will work in this version, since Saegusa would absent for such a long time. Does the next transmission 8 years hence continue soon after Ayaka's case as far as the past is concerned? Will the past be linear instead of the present? Can't wait to find out in Ep2.

@lee-chan Welcome! Yup, the drama is based off a brilliant Korean drama. Do check it out too if you're inclined. How do you find the first episode? Please share your thoughts with us. I would love to hear the views of someone who have not watched the original, which most of us here have.

I held my breath towards the end of episode 01! It thrilling and very intriguing as well. 

I heard great reviews on it's korean counterpart, but I am going to settle for the Japanese one as of now.

I'm also liking that Kentaro has this kind of role. This will be good for his career. 

I've gotta say I enjoyed ep02 even more than the first one. Ooyama is quickly becoming a shy but loveable, sometimes grumpy kind of man like Lee Jaehan was in the Korean version (who, in my opinion, is one of the all-time best written characters in the kdama history). 

On 4/17/2018 at 2:29 AM, liddi said:

I had a quick look at the synopsis for Ep2, and it looks like it will diverge quite drastically in some ways. As I expected, there is a timejump of 8 years in the present timeline, which will bring us to 2018. Am not quite sure how the interactions between the two timelines will work in this version, since Saegusa would absent for such a long time. Does the next transmission 8 years hence continue soon after Ayaka's case as far as the past is concerned? Will the past be linear instead of the present? Can't wait to find out in Ep2.

I'm excited that they are going to change the story up a bit.  I'm not sure about the timelines. It's going to be interesting to see how/why the transmissions stopped for eight years and what happens to make them start.  I can't wait to find out too

On 4/15/2018 at 5:59 PM, liddi said:

What really struck me though, was the fact that Kim Eun Hee's name was not mentioned, at least not in this passage, which I find to be surprising and frankly, disappointing. Was she even consulted at all when they set out to do the remake, seeing Signal is her brainchild?

I think that once the rights to a story is sold the writer has no control over how the story will be interpreted.

Just finished translating Ep2. For those who're interested, I have made them available at D-addicts as well. Struggled quite a bit with ranks and location names (!!) but I think I have finally sorted that out (I hope!). Must say that for all it's worth, it has been quite an experience so far, referencing various subs, as well as the original transcripts to hopefully get the right meaning across. 

@igniculus You're right! Ōyama is slowly growing on me too. I love the fact that I am already beginning to feel the bond between him and Saegusa, which hopefully will continue to be developed. Sakurai still feels weak but we shall see if she improves going forward.

@evie7 It will be intriguing to see where they are going with the revised timelines. I like how they adapted Ep2, which wraps up the Tashiro Ayaka case, and dive into the Josai District serial murders, and the way the closing scene played out is just as memorable as the original. Will put down my thoughts in greater detail after I have time to catch my breath :tongue:

Incidentally, I was wrong and they did credit Kim Eun Hee after all, both on their official webpage, and the drama itself - she is referred to as the original scriptwriter in Japanese as キム・ウニ. So so pleased :) 

9 hours ago, liddi said:

Incidentally, I was wrong and they did credit Kim Eun Hee after all, both on their official webpage, and the drama itself - she is referred to as the original scriptwriter in Japanese as キム・ウニ. So so pleased

I'm so happy they did credit her:DIt's really an exceptional story.

Thanks for the subs:heart: I may not get a chance to watch this until later tonight but will be back Friday afternoon to see everyone's reactions.

@lee-chan @igniculus I'm so happy you are both watching this too.

I was going to re-watch Signal after Prison Playbook but I bite the bullets and watched this series instead. 

Thank you @liddi for the English sub.

While I was not very impressed with both Kentaro Sakaguchi and Michiko Kichise acting in episode 1; they're both too happy and too calm to my liking.   But after watching episode 2, I forgive Kentaro but Michiko acting doesn't do it for me.  There should be a certain kind of weariness, jaded, anxious characteristic but Michiko acting didn't display it at all.  I'm not expecting her to act like Kim Hye-Soo but at least show us that you're anxious, she's too calm and not tough enough to my liking.  Overall, I've to say episode 2 is so much better than ep 1.

One thing that I do hope they'll stop doing in the upcoming episodes is having famous guest stars on the show.  It's a dead giveaway who the actor/actress will play.  Bring in someone that's not famous. 

Eventhough they dressed down Kyōko Hasegawa, but once I saw that it was her, I knew right away which character she acted.  Kyoko Hasegawa is so good in these femme fatale roles. 

Archived