[Drama 2018] Lawless Lawyer, 무법 변호사

Admin

@bebebisous33 In light of your analysis, what does interest me is how that veil that Judge Cha has placed over the eyes of the people will fall off. As you say, her family has had such a grip over Ki Seong for at least two generations. And it's not through fear but love and veneration. That's not something one can dismantle overnight or easily. Cultic fervency is not so easily detached.  It also really disturbs me that children are somehow involved in all of this. I'm hoping that all she's doing is exploiting them for PR purposes and nothing more. I know I've been watching too many OCN dramas the last few years but it does beg the question. I hope we're not dealing with really ugly, seedy stuff here. The "p" word comes to mind.

@40somethingahjumma@triplem So far, I have the impression that the orphans' name are used for illegal transactions, like tax evasions aso. Since they are orphans, no one will look into their financial situation. They use their identities in order to create accounts so that money can be wired easily. The children are too young to discover that they own an account. That also explains why CMS knows the name of the orphans very well. On the other hand, we can not be so sure what happens to them, when they are older. I guess, they can become a part of AOJ's clan or they are discarded (human trafficking).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all SQUEEEEEEEEEE. Today episode was awesome. preview has my heart still racing. I'm hopeless...

and i need subs. Badly

On 25/5/2018 at 4:56 AM, sava2sava said:

On to your comment Yes AOJ could be the one to turn the tables on her men is ambitions by nature and men can'y have a woman running things for long as they all will team up against her.. I'm also wondering about the prosecutor..  It didn't sit to well with him she choose to make a thug criminal the mayor instead of him.. Which leads me to believe he was eyeing that position for himself to enter politics..  

Yes he's a man. up to this day men don´t like to be ruled by women. and CMS is not the one who treats him kindly. I also think prosecutor Jang will play an important role in this game, because he wants power himself, because he doesn´t regar AOJ as his equal, and because with this drama i'm doubting everyone, even our lead BSP. I think so far only JY has showed us her true face (BSP has so many)

On 25/5/2018 at 6:59 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Great to see my drama buddies @LyraYoo @bebebisous33 on this thread and giving me a shout out! And a big hello to Moon Lovers and LJG fans especially @antoniaclamens  @sava2sava who have gathered here too. As I've said, LL has all the signs of a confidently-made drama, I'm certainly hoping and praying that it will have the stamina to go the distance. With a critically acclaimed director at the helm and a stellar cast, one would certainly have reason to hope. 

I'm also thrilled to see you here, and always happy to see your insights! will you review? (no pressures)

On 25/5/2018 at 6:59 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

@bebebisous33 In light of your analysis, what does interest me is how that veil that Judge Cha has placed over the eyes of the people will fall off. As you say, her family has had such a grip over Ki Seong for at least two generations. And it's not through fear but love and veneration. That's not something one can dismantle overnight or easily. Cultic fervency is not so easily detached.  It also really disturbs me that children are somehow involved in all of this. I'm hoping that all she's doing is exploiting them for PR purposes and nothing more. I know I've been watching too many OCN dramas the last few years but it does beg the question. I hope we're not dealing with really ugly, seedy stuff here. The "p" word comes to mind.

Another reason why I have my suspicions about the judge's extracurricular activities is because of the comment she made to SP at the courthouse when she says he reminds her of his mother. Her question "Do you think you're the first one to stand here?" suggests to me that she has done some awful stuff to other people or other kids but she's managed to cover it up.

ionary tale in there somewhere about putting people on pedestals when all human beings have feet of clay. It wouldn't surprise me if Sang Pil's mother found out something about the late (father) Judge Cha that was of seismic proportions.

Agree! it won´t be easy to dismantle something that it's built on love basis. BTW about children, i think CMS only uses them as propaganda, but her secretary is another thing

On 25/5/2018 at 1:36 AM, bebebisous33 said:

Thanks a lot for the compliment!!crazy monkey

it's fully deserved and if you keep doing this kind of answers i might keep asking!

About Ahn Oh Joo: in my opinion, he has been the helper of CMS's father, since he mentioned a conversation with him to SGD. The fact he remembered his words clearly shows that his words left a deep impression on AOJ. Furthermore, AOJ repeats the exact same words to SGD illustrating that the deceased judge was like a teacher to AOJ. Actually, this scene underlines the closeness between CMS's father and AOJ. Then the way he tried to let the crowd scream the name of CHB was really telling. To me, AOJ wasn't just his right hand, AOJ perceived him as his mentor and teacher. As conclusion, AOJ is dedicated to CHB and his legacy. This explains why he served CMS 18 years ago. Like I mentioned it before, CMS must have committed these crimes as she wanted to save her father's reputation and good name. No wonder, AOJ helped her back then. In return for the favor, she supported him and turned him into a CEO. On the surface, he looks like a good businessman, whereas he still behaves and thinks like a thug. He hasn't changed his way of speaking: with such an accent and I am quite sure, he is using a dialect. 

I think you are right. But so far we haven´t watched his interactions with CHB. maybe it was like you said, like a father and son one. He's not having the same with CMS. She treats him as her lacky. she always tries to reinforce the idea that she's above him. and he must not like it. I don't know. but i keep thinking that something is broken betwen AOJ and CMS already...

He doesn't suspect that CMS might be behind it. BSP hasn't discovered the reason why his mother and HJY's mother became the target of CMS. He hasn't perceived the connection between CMS and her father.

But he knows about Golden City so maybe 

. Their partnership will fall apart because CMS is the biological daughter of CHB, whereas AOJ might see himself as the spiritual son of CHB. We have the same dichotomy between NYH and HJY: who is the spiritual "daughter" of CMS?

Interesting theory!

Now, if you look at this picture again, you will notice that AOJ and Jang are standing on the left side of CMS, whereas the others are all on the other side. This could be perceived as a clue that both men will work against CMS at some point, whereas the others are the true followers of CMS. Sure, I can be mistaken and it could be a coincidence. Nevertheless, I have the feeling that the writer and director are paying attention to details.  

I don´t believe in coincidences.. lest with this drama

On 25/5/2018 at 11:02 AM, sava2sava said:

Just Love His Action Scene..

me too. i think it's the best so far

17 hours ago, violina said:

Cool family trait...dramatic entries

Uncle

nephew:

love your gifs and love uncle. i hope we will see more of him

17 hours ago, violina said:

Also these two(lawyer ha &lawyer bong)

a.they have bashed head

b.chest contact

c.now they bashed hands

what next?bashed lips?

with today's preview i think your question is totally on point

7 hours ago, triplem said:

I know it is really early days for us to be talking about romance. I am in no hurry for it but being a romantic at heart , I do love the quiet moments where we see Sang Pil looking at her. Though it is borne out of his vows of wanting to protect her and repay her mother's sacrifice for his life, there is a part of me that thinks maybe there's already something a bit more than that. :lol:  Alright,  alright....given how there's so much going on, I am expecting a slow burn  romance wise but I do feel my heart flutter at their banter and interactions

Everything you said

2 hours ago, bluelilac1214 said:

Watched the live stream. And I'll just leave this here:

Because, Oh My God!!! happy dancing crazy rabbitcheer1 onion head

So many things happened today. But I'm kinda speechless after seeing the preview. Need time to collect my thoughts. Because!!! cheer3 onion headsmooth crazy rabbit

Will we really get to see this tomorrow or are they playing with our hearts??? I have trust issues with K drama writers....

I also need to collect my thoughts. i can barely control my excitement. and i don't think they are playing with our hearts, so far the previews have been so truthfull

1 hour ago, insamgoguma said:

The preview:......... WHAT?????? I have to say I was dying to see the romance part to tone down the thriller ride, but I don't get it? Don't get me wrong, I love their chemistry I just don't know how the writers are going to unfold this romantic relationship (we had so little time to develop it). But am I complaining? NOPE! BRING IT ON!!! BRING ALL THE LOVEY DOVEY OF THE WORLD, I'LL TAKE THEM ALL!!!!

About the preview, maybe that will happen by the end of episode 6, so we'll get the real stuff by episode 7. I didn´t expect it to happen so fast but i'm not complaining nor worrying. So far the drama haven't decieve me. everything is well planned and unfolded. I think i'll just trust writer. so far he's doing an awesome job

33 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Like I had imagined it, CMS is forced to choose NYH as her spiritual daughter because HJY came to believe BSP. However, once NYH is introduced to the inner circle, it doesn't mean that she has already turned evil and decided to commit crimes for CMS. In my opinion, later NYH will have to choose as well, if she wants to receive CMS's legacy and become dirty. She won't see everything right away. Nevertheless, CMS has always kept NYH in the dark for so long and there is a reason to it. I have the impression that she wants to keep deceiving NYH as long as possible, so that she has not to face the same situation like CMS was confronted many years ago: fight for her father and his good name or fight for justice... Furthermore, we shouldn't forget that her own mother is also involved in the crime world. In order to cover up her mother's crimes, will she choose to commit crimes as well? Like I mentioned it above, NYH seems to be innocent hence I have the impression that at the end of the road, NYH might make a different choice than CMS. Fight for truth and justice than more saving the appearances and fakeness.

@triplem Thanks for the compliment. Now, back to your question: What does CMS mean with this remark? 

First, let me explain the expression showing her true feelings. It signifies that CMS has to take that mask off. So once the veil is removed, she will show her true personality hence her true thoughts and feelings. Until now, CMS has been hiding her true character behind her robe. People perceive her as judge and not as human being. Once the robe is removed, the person will be able to see what kind of human CMS is. Therefore CMS warns NSJ not to wish too soon that she reveals her true personality to her daughter because the moment she does, the person will be confronted with a dilemna: which path shall she choose? Accept that the judge was just a cover up for crimes and behind the facade, CMS is just an evil person which means that the daughter is greedy for power and wealth or refuse it and fight against her?

NSJ was jealous that CMS would treat HYJ more like her "daughter" than NYH. However, NSJ is confusing the seeming and the real. That's what CMS tried to remind her as well. Just because she is nice to HJY, this doesn't mean that her feelings are genuine.

Nevertheless, I suspect that CMS did prefer HJY over NYH for different reasons: HJY had to work hard and never relied on anyone, not even on CMS. Notice that she moved to Seoul for her own career. For NYH, it was different, since the mother could use her influence. NYH remained in Gisung, hence she was never really challenged and never had to fight for her own career.

Moreover, the challenge was even higher: turn the daughter of the mother she killed into her own daughter!! You can sense the perfidy in this: the high priestess is able to convince someone to side with her, although she killed her own mother. She had a different approach to HJY: the more freedom she gives to HJY, the more loyal and blinded HJY will be. But the problem is that HJY has never been blind or deaf in reality. She has always used her own head. When she saw injustice (f. ex. scene with NSJ hurting the teacher), she intervened. This scene outlined that HJY has never been someone who follows conventions and rules blindly. She was not scared to argue with NSJ because she was abusing her power and authority. This was also confirmed with the scene where she punched the judge who was far from just and impartial. As conclusion, HJY has always shown no fear to any powerful authority, she has always dared to question their authority and their decision. She has never been a blind follower like her father. She has always used her own heart and head from the start. 

WOW again. I don't think she will turn evil. right know she believes in CMS. maybe she also wants to be like her. Of course once her eyes are opened she will have to make a hard  choice. but in the end BSP is giving her a chance, so i will follow his example. 

@antoniaclamens Thanks for the compliment again. crazy monkey

You are right that BSP hasn't already judged YH because of her close relationship to CMS and her mother. He still gives her a chance and I think that he is right to do so. 

About the romance: BSP asked HJY in the first episode if she was already seeing someone. Our heroine replied that the reason why he hired her was because he was interested in her. Therefore from the start, BSP tried to get close to HJY. Sure, he said such a thing as he wanted to keep his true intention hidden from her first. Yes, I don't believe that this question was not entirely fake. He even mentioned in the first episode that he wanted her to become his partner. So he had already planned what he wanted to do with her.    

I only watch highlights for now (try to delay as much as possible to watch the drama entirely or I'll die waiting for each episode each week ah ah) but yeah the romance bits in the preview seems really out of the blue and really fast. He was just flirting from time to time until now but nothing really serious. The part where she puts her hand on his face made me think that maybe they're faking it from whatever reason, but the beach part got me confused. So maybe it's a tease for the later episodes like someone said. We'll see. Really surprised though, but it might be for the better. This drama is unusual. The reveal of his "wall" to her happens early too. That's probably mean they have a lot more to the story :) 

2 hours ago, antoniaclamens said:

Also these two(lawyer ha &lawyer bong)

a.they have bashed head

b.chest contact

c.now they bashed hands

what next?bashed lips?

with today's preview i think your question is totally on point

OMG!!!! I was just bluffing but look at this now!

tumblr_p9cfncRDvI1ws5ca3o1_540.gifv

tumblr_p9chhhihOu1t8gzeto1_250.gif

Ok now that am done squealing.I am also of the opinion that they are not gonna go all romantic on us in the next episode.Or if they are, the scenes will be inserted in the way that enhances the drama not distract from the "thriller feel" or revenge plot.I trust director with this.

I am a little conflicted about this lmao I need an actual build up to lead to that. I mean even in romance drama if the romance is rushed, there is some build up. So to me, those scenes happening next week and just used in the preview makes more sense. In BSP case, I can see the affection was already here since he's been stalk...er I mean watching her this long lol Anyway, I will trust the production. And for kiss scenes, please be decent! This is cable! I know in TBDAW, he had that scene with NSM making out on that couch that I kept wondering if they did the deed or not. Now that I think about it, his steamy kisses were only with her. Joseon Gunman's cave kiss anyone? I never understood this concept of women just standing there like dead fishes then actresses are the one being blamed whn it's clearly a direction issue

5 hours ago, antoniaclamens said:

I'm also thrilled to see you here, and always happy to see your insights! will you review? (no pressures)

Definitely. I am having a ball with this drama already. :D 

I don't want to be the one to pour cold water here. :wink: The thing that worries me when romance advances quickly in a K drama, it usually doesn't bode well for the OTP. 

That said, it might not be romance yet... it could be just JY showing deep empathy because both of them lost their mothers at a young age. It could be that she found out about that. 

13 hours ago, triplem said:

What I really loved about eps 4 was that CMS's  machinery is slowly but surely showing cracks. Within her inner circle of influential men and women of Kiseong, YH's mum and Prosecutor Jang (who I suppose would have been the more logical choice for the mayoral candidate) are opposed to An's candidacy. But An himself is not the obedient dog that CMS has thought that he would be. I was  tickled at the fact that  in this somewhat religious-like unveiling of her father's statue , it was hijacked twice - by An and BSP. I love it. With all the cards laid out on the table I'm looking forward to how BSP will bring CMS down. It will of course be an uphill battle given that CMS herself has extensive influence on the judiciary and not to mention deep deep pockets. ( Though I should not be shocked at the amount of money in her safe, it was still quite a sight  to see the stash of cash that she had). I am sure that YH's mum has a lot of dirt on CMS. In spite of the facade she puts up being CMS's number  one supporter, she's also been digging things about CMS. So she may be the tool that BSP and gang will need to use to get to CMS.

Taking things at face value, it would seem that CMS is just using her visits to the orphanage to create some positive chatter .  But there was this scene in eps 3 which struck me. The man that YH's mum was talking to. What was that about? He gave her some info about the orphan . Is this how she recruits her protege, looking out for bright young kids with no maternal figures  so that she could form some bond , the way she did with Jae Yi? Or perhaps there is something more sinister? After all, it seems that child traffickers are still running around in this town

Well Hello, @triplem  How re you these days.. 

At some point I'm wondering will BSP will have to find and upright supreme court judge to come and sit in on trials that CMS is handling and also help remove her from her bench.. Just how much clout did he build up in Seoul among the prosecutors and district judges.. I can't see him going in blind like this without some kind of backup plan.. Just looking at how the real criminal was brought before all those witness and him admitting to what AN had him to do in the court room not one peep was in the papers Also YH mom isn't free from crime herself I can see her trying to save herself even if means throwing YH and CMS under the bus because it don't sit well with her or Jang that An is running for mayor.. CMS needs An just for these two if needed.. Another thing from the preview is they trying to hook YH up with An, or is this also CMS way of keeping YH mom on a short leash other words letting her know not to get any ideas..

I don't know if anyone has answered your question as of yet but CMS is using those orphans name for her money laundering once they become of age they or either killed or enlisted into her click, of course with her being some kind of savior for them as they think she has funded they're schooling and how they owe there lost life to her..  Maybe she has it set up at some point and age they already presumed dead and has been giving a new identities. Who knows I put nothing past CMS at this point all for the name sake of Daddy making him seem like some kind of GOD of Kisoeng.. When he was the Devil that walk amongst them and daughter following deep in his footsteps..

14 hours ago, triplem said:

Glad to see you here. What really works for me in this drama is how both Sang Pil's  and Jae Yi's characters have been written.  In the cowboy town that is Kiseong, I appreciate how unorthodox BSP's ways are in looking for evidence and finding information. Of course he  really does not have a choice given that those in authority and of influence are a law unto themselves. In just 4 episodes we have been shown of his assuredness, foresight and quick thinking. But I think what makes me root for him is those moments when his cool and  sometimes cocksure demeanour makes way for these touching vulnerable ones. Seeing him sad , seeing him angry , you realise that underneath the fortitude and valour that he has on display is the broken spirit of a person robbed of his mother's love and a proper childhood.

I totally agree with you.. BSP has a one track thinking they all have been freely breathing to long.. Time to shine the spotlights on Kiseong.. Loving they bringing the romance on early..

9 hours ago, scarletlover1 said:

I wasn't feeling well the last few days but finally getting to see the show and I'll give my thoughts later. But for now I'll just say...

Lawless Lawyer... Well done.

@scarletlover1  Hope you feel better soon.. 

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Definitely. I am having a ball with this drama already. :D 

I don't want to be the one to pour cold water here. :wink: The thing that worries me when romance advances quickly in a K drama, it usually doesn't bode well for the OTP. 

That said, it might not be romance yet... it could be just JY showing deep empathy because both of them lost their mothers at a young age. It could be that she found out about that. 

I wouldnt worry too much about the romantic angle and its development because just like the comedy bits of the drama.The romance will be sporadic.Lets not forget,the theme of the drama is on character growth as they morph into great lawyers as well as revenge.I dont think they will suddenly abandon the revenge plot and go into puppy eyes and kissing galore for the next 8 episodes like  "pretty noona drama".This drama is still marketed as a legal thriller.

3 hours ago, chrissydiva said:

I am a little conflicted about this lmao I need an actual build up to lead to that. I mean even in romance drama if the romance is rushed, there is some build up. So to me, those scenes happening next week and just used in the preview makes more sense. In BSP case, I can see the affection was already here since he's been stalk...er I mean watching her this long lol Anyway, I will trust the production. And for kiss scenes, please be decent! This is cable! I know in TBDAW, he had that scene with NSM making out on that couch that I kept wondering if they did the deed or not. Now that I think about it, his steamy kisses were only with her. Joseon Gunman's cave kiss anyone? I never understood this concept of women just standing there like dead fishes then actresses are the one being blamed when it's clearly a direction issue

I think the feeling is mutual though.I mean Ha Jae Yi hasnt been as expressive and obvious like Bong Sang Pil but this was what she was thinking back in ep 1

tumblr_p8en2zHfrZ1r3hugwo3_400.gif

and then there was this dialogue.You know how we women sometimes say the opposite of what we are feeling on the inside:

Earlier BSP just asked if she was seeing someone, and she started babbling about how she can see right through BSP. She is only working for Bong Sang Pil to pay back her father's debt and how she hates office relationships..blah blah blah.

Here:http://haaneuls.tumblr.com/post/174091226584/i-also-hate-lawyers-like-you-who-love-acting-like#notes

To me,  if you are drawing that kind of line with a guy with that kind of response.Its usually a reflex action if you are afraid of catching feelings for that guy.those words are really her brain reminding her heart not to waver because she was still getting to know the guy.Like she is giving yellow light otherwise she could have just said No or Yes if she is seeing someone and end it there.

Anyway this is just speculation.We can be sure about what she feels when she kisses him, hugs him or says she likes him.And agree with what y'all saying.I dont want to see a rated G kiss from a confident and girl crush character like HJY or a gangsta lawyer like BSP.We want to see something fiery and passionate to reflect the chemistry they have. I am a JG fan so what I can say from what ive seen is that LJG is not the aggressive type kind of kisser in movie and drama.But he does know how to put feeling into his kiss scenes so that even when he is not doing french kisses and stuff.You can watch the scene over and over again.Scarlet Heart Ryeo is a proof of that.

Ep. Original broadcast date Average audience share
AGB Nielsen[8] TNmS[9]
Nationwide Seoul
1 May 12, 2018 5.275% 5.895% 5.8%
2 May 13, 2018 6.037% 6.291% 5.6%
3 May 19, 2018 5.029% 5.081% 5.2%
4 May 20, 2018 6.132% 6.814% 5.1%
5 May 26, 2018 5.884% 6.070% 5.9%

For those who are interested, ratings so far.

Anyone else feel this drama is heading towards a BSP, HJY, YH triangle? I'm getting that feeling and I gotta say I am not happy about it. I hate triangles of any kind and it always does such a disservice to the women involved...

Possibly but He is way too caught up in whatever is starting with HJY besides His Quest for justice/Vengence to add another complication to his life and trying to juggle two strong minded females who are already antagonistic toward each other would certainly be a hassle he dosen’t need LOL. 

And the correlation chart only shows the love line between the leads. Another one would take away from the main plot.

50 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Possibly but He is way too caught up in whatever is starting with HJY besides His Quest for justice/Vengence to add another complication to his life and trying to juggle two strong minded females who are already antagonistic toward each other would certainly be a hassle he dosen’t need LOL. 

And the correlation chart only shows the love line between the leads. Another one would take away from the main plot.

I was talking more from YH's standpoint because I definitely believe that all BSP can see is HJY so I can't see a full blown triangle. I can see YH developing feels for BSP though. I am enjoying having a 2nd female lead who isn't outright annoying, in fact, I actually kinda like her. And I don't actually believe HJY and YH are antagonistic. Sure they're not each others favorite people but they are far from antagonistic. 

@AlexandraReid @hiluna thanks for the rating info! it's actually a really good progress; when we compare it with the previous two Saturdays, it's the highest both from Nielsen and Tnms (with actually a larger size of sample) and the peak also reached the highest, 7 %. Ratings on Sunday are normally higher than Saturdays, hopefully with such a ''shocking'' preview we had for Ep 6, the figure can rise up to 6.5 or even 7 % *crossing all my fingers and toes*.

@kjoy @RobinM It seems like CMS tried to match YH and AOJ from the preview? ewww... no, it's not because of the ''ahjussi'' - ''young woman'' idea, it's because that shows just how far CMS would go into ''messing up'' your life once you're in her claw.

and @violina I second your opinion on the mutual feeling. I think HJY had been intrigued by SP since their 'not-so-cute' meet-cute, too. And especially since then he also has done some good stuffs for her *i.e. saving her and cutting off the interest for her father's loan*... it's not too difficult to fall for his charm, is it? :wub:

anyway, looking forward to tonight's episode! our Lawless Lawyer is back at #3 at the top 10 drama real-time daily search list on naver! woot woot!

p.s.: don't forget to click the naver search link if you have a spare time :D

https://search.naver.com/search.naver?&where=news&query=무법 변호사&sort=1&sm=tab_smr&nso=so:dd,p:all,a:all

Archived