[Drama 2018] Lawless Lawyer, 무법 변호사

Admin

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aigoo... everything happens so darn quickly in this show!!! Everything!!! I'm so not used to it. As the husband says, "You have to wonder what's coming."

If ever we needed confirmation that Cha Moon Seok was a psychopath, we certainly got it here in bright flashing lights. Fancy killing a man for insulting your father. I knew that her veneration of her father was genuine and she hero-worshipped him but wow... her vindictiveness... yowsers... She certainly doesn't mess around. But then I shouldn't be surprised when her minions literally prostrate themselves in front of her in fear and trembling. Her mansion on a hill is more luxurious than a Joseon palace. The fact that she has servants reminiscent of the old dynasty opening and closing doors for visitors is pretty telling. What is her ultimate goal? What does she mean when she says she wants to surpass her father, the old judge? She's not eyeing the job of chief justice of the supreme court... what's higher? The presidency of the country?

I was wondering why it was that the press is so selective about what went to print. But of course, one member of the cabal of seven owns the city's newspaper. No independence of the press there, that's for certain. There's no doubt that CMS has all her bases covered. The Gi Sung behind the Gi Sung... sipping champagne celebrating AOJ's victory in the polls. The dystopia is in full swing. Do we think Yeon Hee has really joined their ranks? There's a part of me there's not too sure about that because of the conversation between her and SP at the dojo. 

What's more, I really didn't expect to find out this soon what deep dark secret it was that got Choi Jin Ae killed that fateful night 18 years ago and saw Jae Yi's mother taking off to Thailand in a self-imposed exile. An act that on appearance seems cruel but was done to protect the rest of the family. Which is ironic... when one considers Ha Ki Ho's unquestioning loyalty to CMS and her lackey AOJ. I don't know much about Korean politics (apart from what one sees in the dramas) but should judges really be endorsing political candidates publicly? Maybe no one in Gi Seong thinks there's anything wrong with what could be seen as a conflict of interest, since they practically worship the ground the Cha dynasty inhabits.

I really want to know more about the blind masseuse. She may be blind but she's not deaf. My feeling is that she will play a much bigger role down the track. There's so much indiscretion with information taking place in front of her. Depending where her priorities lie, she could be a witness for somebody in the future.

The thing that impressed me most about Woo Hyung Man was his genuine affection for his late wife. It was made clear that he fell into corrupt ways to pay off her exorbitant medical bills. It was always obvious that they didn't get him out just because he was innocent of the charges. He knows things and while he was always someone at the bottom of the food chain, he had a long association with AOJ. 

I'm liking Ms Debt Collector already. She's hilarious and quick on her feet... far more capable than her older brother apparently. Heh. Can't say much for her fashion sense... although it fits the personality. BSP among all his other talents, seems to be quite adept at recruiting people to his cause. It's a sign of good leadership IMO. While I enjoy the humour that his errand boys and girl bring to the show, they aren't just comic relief... they do useful things and help with investigations in all manner of insanity

What do I think about the Speedy Gonzalez romance? (Older people will get the reference) It is what it is. :wink: Considering how everything in this show moves like the Road Runner, it kind of fits. I'm actually more surprised that she trusted him so quickly. I expected the denial stage and the rage stage to last a bit longer but hey (here goes my mantra for LL) "everything in this show moves quickly".  It feels that the show is trying to get all that UST out of everyone's system in order to focus properly on the big fight that is to come and in order for SP to do it well... he needs JY on side with him because she has as much emotional investment in it as he has. I suppose we can psychologize all day long about why they slept together so soon... loneliness, empathy blah blah blah etc... the reality is the writer and PD have a story they want told and this was the choice they made to deal with the niggly stuff before they went all out on the bigger picture unencumbered by romance. But there is the matter of trust and I imagine that's the show's way of saying that JY trusts him completely to lead her down the path of no return.

But really, this is a zany show that's incredibly well-made. How often do we get to see a show where both the good guys and the bad guys are having the time of their lives?

I Find the the idea that male writers can get to main point of the Couple stuff  without all the  time wasting Emo filler  because they can actually write/understand a realistic male character very interesting. Never thought  of it that way. This one is talented enough to write a great female one as well :)

Morning Afternoon Evening To All,

Yes Hy has choose the darker side at the mention of JY, And her mother has no one to blame but herself.. She should have known at some point CMS would rope her daughter in.. Knowing all the veil and evil things they have done in that city.. Did mom really think that there past wouldn't catch up to them..  I'm not understanding why she didn't have her working in the prosecutors office in Seoul even if she really wanted to keep her in the dark about the things that goes on in her home town..  Being with the likes of the seven club and she's joining she could also loose her law degree.. I don't think that's something she would want to do her joining this club has put her and mom in danger and she going to have to make some serious choices.. But she can be the one to roll over on them all maybe she'll have to choose between her real mom and the fake mom.. 

Next she'll jump at the chance to tell JY that CMS choose her over JY.. But she won't understand JY change of heart for CMS nor would she not understand JY feelings once it's mention because Jy will call it as disgusting..

29 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

In my opinion, she might change her mind because of her mother. HJY and BSP want justice because they lost their mother, therefore I am suspecting that something similar might happen to KYH. 

However, I have also noticed that KYH wears a black dress, when she is introduced to the 7 Club, whereas HJY has white clothes on after accepting the truth.

@bebebisous33  I'm also suspecting that something is going to happen to her mother especially if CMS needs to enter the supreme court she can't have around she knows to much about CMS and her dad past so yes she will have to get rid of her at some point.. The blame will be shifted to the Lawless group.. KHY will believe it..  

22 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I really want to know more about the blind masseuse. She may be blind but she's not deaf. My feeling is that she will play a much bigger role down the track. There's so much indiscretion with information taking place in front of her. Depending where her priorities lie, she could be a witness for somebody in the future.

@40somethingahjumma  I'm also wondering about her to is she sneaking in a recorder or some kind of taping device.. I don't think she's blind as they thinks she is.. It looks like she's wearing a nice pair if blue contacts  and behind those dark shades she sees and hear all..

The seven club has got arrogant and smug all these years of having an iron control. They don’t think the lesser people have the mind, heart or talent to bring them down but it’s poor blind masseuses, photo shop owners and quirky goofy  loan sharks   who Have an ear to the street and walk on the grey side that will destroy them in the in the end . 

Ideally BP will have a street network of people who owe him favors or are loyal to him to feed him inside info or get into places he can’t.

@sava2sava @40somethingahjumma @kjoy The blind masseuse is treated as if she didn't exist, as if she was not a person. They don't pay attention to her because she is blind. But they are all forgetting something: blind doesn't mean that she is deaf or mute hence she is a witness. In my opinion, she can recognize people by their voice. Because of her blindness, they think that she is not dangerous to them. Once AOJ ensured himself that she was disabled, he no longer paid attention to her and spoke freely. That's why they are negligent as they feel, she is not a human due to her disability. She is just a tool hence she represents no thread to them. However, I have the feeling that she will help BSP and HJY. She is close to the source.  

@bebebisous33 hmmm... the thing with the law and Hitler, I think it's exactly the thing CMS has been doing so far right? She also has AOJ to ''dismiss'' people (and cover it with suicide scenarios along with that 'suicide cliff' myth).

@RobinM I'm not questioning Yoon Hyun Ho's talent in creating his characters, for sure. Afterall he's somebody who wrote a box office movie like 'Confidential Assignment'- that's why I trust him a lot kkkk. HJY's strong character might be a normal case for westerners, but in the rather misogynistic culture like Korean (and most Asian countries), it's such a rarity for men to understand and want to acknowledge such a character. It can be both an advantage- as LL and its strong female characters have been praised by the media so far- and a disadvantage in terms of ''romance'' department (as much as we hate to admit it, viewers want a more feminine kind of romantic part in the drama). 

@40somethingahjumma I initially had a mixed feeling about JY's reaction, too. But then I'll go again to the stereotyping of male and female character differences in reacting to a calamity so I'd rather stop and think of it as a ''never mind''... in fact I like it better this way than the possibility of the writer dragging her wallowing in her sorrow for too long. Afterall it's HJY, the ''give me evidences'' woman. She has done her research and when fortunately her findings were in line with whatever SP told her before, she eventually was convinced with it lol. I'm more excited with the possibility of seeing her challenging CMS herself, just like what we saw in the Ep 7 preview panda-emoticon-27.gif

Oh... the blind masseuse... reminds me of what a gisaeng would do back in Joseon era... they listened to all the stuffs the high-class clients said and had to 'keep it to themselves' (or not). We'll see if this one will have a better role than that :wink: 

From jg_k_drama, a translation of an article about Ep 6 from K-Media:

On 25/05/2018 at 10:04 AM, antoniaclamens said:

Have you watched Time Between Dog and Wolf from the same director, it's really good and JG is amazing in it. Of course Moon Lovers is THE DRAMA of all dramas... but second to it is Twoo Weeks. Just awesome

I’ve tried but i’m not just into them so i didn’t finish watching. One thing is sure though, he was consistently good on those films.

:heart:

Regarding the kissing scene, i think such scene is his achilees heel. I want to unsee it if only it’s possible because to me it was awkward. I felt like he was not really into the scene. That he did it half heartedly. I maybe alone in this observation though. 

ra3Pj8.png

Honestly gets better and better...

I feel like that now they have addressed the growing attraction, it's time to get down to Lawless business. They have a tough battle ahead and will need to chop down the weeds one at a time to excise the poison at the top. All this within the law.

Loving Geum Ja and her perceptiveness and sassiness. The team is growing well!

@NoonaE Well, the reason why I am comparing it to Hitler and Nazi dictatorship is because I am a History teacher in Germany. So I hope, this is not too much. But you are right, she acts like Hitler in the sense that she uses laws via her courtroom to kill people, the ones who represent a danger to AOJ and herself. 

Since AOJ has been a thug and gang leader, he reminds me a little of a leader of the SA (Sturmabteilung), a paramilitary wing of the NSDAP (Nazi party). The SA played a huge part in Hitler's rise to power in 20s'-30s'. The SA-troops were used to bully and persecute Jews, political enemies and even spread terrors on the streets. Their behavior was similar to thugs!! 

However, I don't know why but I am connecting NSJ to Eric Röhm, the leader of SA because NSJ and CMS have been childhood friends. Like NSJ with CMS, Röhm was a close friend and long companion of Hitler whom he met in 1919, when the NSDAP had just been created. At some point, Hitler decided to get rid of Röhm and ordered the blood purge in 1934 (the event is called "The Night of the Long Knives"). Röhm was killed and this massacre was legally approved afterwards!! I have the impression that something like that is going to happen. 

Since AOJ and NSJ dislike each other, at some point CMS will be forced to choose between AOJ and NSJ. I sense that NSJ will be abandoned by CMS. The rivalry for CMS's favoritism makes me think of the rivalry between SS and SA. When the SA was disempowered by Hitler in 1934, the SS (Schutzstaffel = Protection Squadron), also a paramilitary organisation of NSDAP created by Himmler, became the winner of that struggle and the most powerful organisation in the Third Reich. SS people were passionate supporters of Nazi ideology and participated actively in the persecution of people.

To conclude, AOJ could be seen as a combination of SA and SS.    

Yes. They are together thick and thin from this  moment and the trust and respect and affection is mutual. We can safely assume they are getting it on like Marvin Gaye when the credits roll each week even if the writers don't show much or dwell on  the relationship aspect .

Now we’ll  move on to the main plot! 

And Go!

Edit: I do wonder how will they potray  the fact that if he was worried and protective before he will be triply so now that they are actually together her and they are both actually targeted. I hope and trust she is smart enough to be more cautious and listen when he knows best in a certain situation.

2 minutes ago, RobinM said:

Yes. They are together thick and thin from this  moment and the trust and respect and affection is mutual. We can safely assume they are getting it on like Marvin Gaye when the credits roll each week even if the writers don't show much or dwell on  the relationship aspect .

Now we’ll  move on to the main plot! 

And Go!

Lmao! 'Getting it on like Marvin Gaye' too funny :lol: But yes I'm ready to see them take down some baddies B)

@bebebisous33 no wonder your analysis is really comprehensive (and very much impressive) in terms of historical aspect comparison! Don't worry, I love it!

If I'm not mistaken, back then jg_k_drama in her IG account mentioned that CMS might have been modeled after PGH, the previous SK president. Reading all your analyses has made me wonder to what extent history in different nations and cultures seemed to be similar. I don't know much about PGH and her late father so I cannot say anything either.

Regarding AOJ and NSJ, I might agree that CMS might potentially choose AOJ if one day she'll have to choose (which one of them to sacrifice). However, YH is now also joining their club. If CMS wants to get rid of NSJ, won't she have to do the same to her daughter? Oh... just thinking about the possibility makes me shiver... bad-atmosphere-onion-head-emoticon.gif

10 minutes ago, NoonaE said:

@bebebisous33 no wonder your analysis is really comprehensive (and very much impressive) in terms of historical aspect comparison! Don't worry, I love it!

If I'm not mistaken, back then jg_k_drama in her IG account mentioned that CMS might have been modeled after PGH, the previous SK president. Reading all your analyses has made me wonder to what extent history in different nations and cultures seemed to be similar. I don't know much either about PGH and her late father so I cannot say anything either.

Regarding AOJ and NSJ, I might agree that CMS might potentially choose AOJ if one day she'll have to choose (which one of them to sacrifice). However, YH is now also joining their club. If CMS wants to get rid of NSJ, won't she have to do the same to her daughter? Oh... just thinking about the possibility makes me shiver... bad-atmosphere-onion-head-emoticon.gif

Yes, that's the reason we say that you can learn a lot through History, to ensure that something terrible like Third Reich never occurs again. For example, when G. W. Bush Junior did touch Citizen and Human rights after the terror attack (September 11th 2001), he actually copied Hitler. In the name of safety and security, Citizen and Human rights needed to be changed or even removed. That was his explanation and excuse, the same excuse Hitler had in order to fight his political enemies. Torture became allowed. This is a dangerous step... in any democracy.

I try to use recent events and make an analogy to Hitler in order to sensitize the students, not to blindly follow politicians' ideas or to be more sceptical/wary about any major changes in constitution. In Germany, it is impossible to remove any Human rights under any circumstances, they are immutable in the Constitution.      

34 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

However, I don't know why but I am connecting NSJ to Eric Röhm, the leader of SA because NSJ and CMS have been childhood friends. Like NSJ with CMS, Röhm was a close friend and long companion of Hitler whom he met in 1919, when the NSDAP had just been created. At some point, Hitler decided to get rid of Röhm and ordered the blood purge in 1934 (the event is called "The Night of the Long Knives"). Röhm was killed and this massacre was legally approved afterwards!! I have the impression that something like that is going to happen. 

@bebebisous33  This is one of the many reason I love being in a thread that your also in.. I do get a history lesson now and then which I enjoy especially to past events and such characters.. 

I also suspect something of this nature to happen because at some point AOJ will have enough power to stop all those fake bows to CMS and show her his true colors on one hand they are both using each other but he'll stop the facade of the loyal dog and bark his orders to her.. That's when we will see her plotting her purge. Such as the night of the long knives..  She may use AOJ on man against him his so called campagin manager also thug BSP took down in Seoul.. CMS will have to clean her house in order to make it to the supreme court her 7 dogs are to big of a threat for where she's trying to go..   

I somehow thinks NSJ will be the first to go, She'll keep Yh around for as long as possible but will get rid of her also..  

30 minutes ago, kjoy said:

Lmao! 'Getting it on like Marvin Gaye' too funny :lol: But yes I'm ready to see them take down some baddies B)

@kjoy  I'm trying to figure out who is the weakest link among the 7.. I think this is were GG and his sister will play a big part in all of this being that they are natives to the town and pretty much knows about everyone around them.. 

My opinion it would be the newspaper company that will get it first..

Finally got to watch both episode. Really loved how they reacted after their night together, they where so cute :D Now the big fight gonna start, we gonna have a long and hard battle in front of us.  hope to have some romance time in between :wub:  so now we know the seven club, and also that JY mother is safe and sound. consider we never saw her dead body I did think that maybe she was alive. wonder if YH gonna turn a leaf later as she learn more abut what character CMS is. Our lawless lawyer duo is united and wonder how they gonna fiend more people in their circle. I think WHM is at least one of them!  

@NoonaE @antoniaclamens @sava2sava @40somethingahjumma I would like to point out that there must be someone among the 7 club that is working behind CMS's back. Why? NHJ, HJY's mother, lives in Thailand hence she couldn't know that AOJ has been chosen by CMS for the position as mayor. Either it is NSJ or head of prosecution, Jang Sang Il. NSJ doesn't like AOJ, besides she sees him as a thread. Besides, the mother of HJY, is living in a comfortable loft. How could she manage to start a new life abroad? The mother had no idea, HJY was involved in the defense of the detective HMW. 

Someone else is pulling the strings... someone who knew where BSP had disappeared, when to send the notebook at the right moment, when to send the stone and the pictures of CMS/AOJ's crimes, who knew that HMW had helped NHJ to  disappear...

Archived