[Drama 2018] Lawless Lawyer, 무법 변호사

Admin

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, kjoy said:

I thought Sang Pil was watching it earlier in episode 1 (the video of his mother)? Was that not it?

I am not sure if it's the same SD card or not... because if the content is ''only'' his mother's messages for him, why would CMS and AOJ want to have it? hm... curious curious curious! cute-rabbit-emoticon-29.gif

@Issabella yeah, JG  is definitely suitable for a rom-com, too! though we have to admit that not all actors can do action scenes as smoothly (and in a classy way) as he has done so far. He might be the skinniest (and cutest) among the action-genre actors with no (overrated) abs and muscles to show off that much but his martial arts movements are among the best cute-rabbit-emoticon-23.gif

1 minute ago, NoonaE said:

I am not sure if it's the same SD card or not... because if the content is ''only'' his mother's messages for him, why would CMS and AOJ want to have it? hm... curious curious curious! cute-rabbit-emoticon-29.gif

Maybe there's more on that SD card but it just wasn't shown to keep the mystery? Idk but I'm curious too. 

6 minutes ago, NoonaE said:

@Issabella yeah, JG  is definitely suitable for a rom-com, too! though we have to admit that not all actors can do action scenes as smoothly (and in a classy way) as he has done so far. He might be the skinniest (and cutest) among the action-genre actors with no (overrated) abs and muscles to show off that much but his martial arts movements are among the best cute-rabbit-emoticon-23.gif

I think one of the many reasons why he is so good at everything he does is because he's a perfectionist. Others say that it's over the top whenever he acts but such is really inevitable if you want to deliver your all. He proved more than once that he can do any genre and it's such a joy that it's slowly happening now.:blush:

On 5/20/2018 at 9:58 PM, bebebisous33 said:
Spoiler

@triplem@sava2sava @evie7 @UnniSarah @Dramanoona @nonski @alekaonu @Mau_Cherry

Finally, the episodes were released with subtitles, although I have to point out that different sentences are still missing. But okay, it is better than nothing.

Now that I have watched the first two episodes, I can tell that the story isn't just well written but also very creative therefore it gives the opportunity to write a deep analysis of the characters and the story.

From the start, the main villain is not really hidden. Sure, in the first episode the judge CMS is described in the news as a role model and perfect judge. 

She has a perfect reputation: she was nominated three times to become a judge at the Supreme Court but she refused this position therefore this reinforced her strong popularity. By turning down three times such a job opportunity, she appears to be humble, loyal and dedicated to justice. She is even internationally famous because there is an article about her in the Asian version of Times magazine. Yet, we have to pay attention how CMS is introduced. Her name is mentioned in connection to the murder of Gisung's mayor which is actually a bad event. Striking is that the sun is shining when CMS is introduced but more importantly, her face is not shown during this good presentation, the camera is actually focused on BSP. From my point of view, here the writer created a certain contrast. In the beginning, BSP was shown as a dangerous driver, then later as a reckless lawyer and fighter. His introduction gave the impression that BSP was rather a bad guy. BSP seems to be a corrupt and ruthless lawyer, whereas CMS seems to be the faithful and modest judge. Nevertheless  the connection between the sun/daylight and CMS caught my attention, especially after witnessing this scene:

Here, CMS is shown climbing stairs where at the top the statue of Lady justice is standing. The first picture above is quite interesting because behind the statue we can see a building which resembles a temple. It was as if Lady justice was worshiped in this temple. To me, this scene without any dialog is far from being obsolete, because it explains quite well CMS's personality. In my opinion, this can be interpreted in many ways.

• On the surface, it symbolizes her actual life and path. She seems to have dedicated her life to Lady justice.
  • Yet the action of climbing stairs shouldn't be overlooked. It also represents her rise to power.
  • Moreover, I have the impression that she sees herself as Lady Justice and sun. She is the one who decides who has to live or to get punished. (In a later episode, she decides to have BSP and his mother killed)
  • Since she is shown climbing stairs during the day, it reinforces this idea that CMS's life as judge dedicated to justice is fake and just an illusion. Why ? 
  • Because this scene doesn't end with her standing next to Lady Justice, she actually walks away from the statue  (picture 2) Her turning away from Lady Justice explains that her true goal has never been to achieve real and true justice. She uses the law for her own interest. The law is her weapon. Look at the statue of Lady Justice, she has a sword in her hand! CMS gave the impression of a fair and humble judge which she never was. 
  • Since she is shown next to Lady Justice, this could be seen as the pinnacle of her career and life. She has reached the peak of her life and career. CMS has achieved what she really wanted: to become the real owner of Gisung hence she doesn't want to leave this town.
  • However, her turning way from Lady Justice should be considered as a turning point in CMS's life. The fake image of herself as a good judge is about to be unveiled and her power to be destroyed. To me, this scene indicates that CMS's reign is about to fall apart. We are about to assist to her downfall because she won't be able to keep the illusion.

Striking is that the town Gisung is also introduced with such a contrast to CMS.

Gisung seems to belong to another world, since BSP needs to cross a bridge in order to enter Gisung. Usually, a bridge embodies the connection between two different worlds. Moreover, it is surrounded by a thick fog. His "brother" even notices this: "I've never seen a fog like this before. I feel like I am in Heaven". However, BSP doesn't reply to this comment. This is not surprising because this fog gives me more the impression that you are about to enter Hell and not Heaven. Then the next camera shot emphasises that Gisung is not a paradise, rather like a net where it is almost impossible to escape. The entrance of Gisung seems to be so tiny and small due to the cables and wiring. It really looks like a prison. That's why CMS is able to shine so brightly in Gisung. In this "world" where the fog is so heavy, people are looking for the sun. The sun appears to shine more brightly in a dark world as it gives people some hope. In a world, where despair and crimes are ruling, people are looking for a person who can give hope which is CMS.

Since she considers herself as the sun, even mistaking herself as a Goddess (related to Lady Justice), this underlines that she is somehow delusional. Her real and  true nature is revealed at night.

I also noticed that her true personality is also connected to rain, the opposite of the sun. In reality, she brings death, despair, pain and injustice. BPS's mother and HJY's mother were killed during a rainy night. This is no coincidence. The reality is that CMS is a goddess of death, rather being Lady Justice. NamSJ is actually her shadow. She knows the true personality of CMS: the latter is a thug and crime lord disguised as a judge. Unlike CMS, NSJ is behaving the total opposite. She doesn't care about giving a good impression. For her, pretense is obsolete. She likes power and she doesn't care about good manners as well. What matters to her the most is power and she has no problem to abuse her power (see the scene with the slapping). Since she knows that she can never be CMS's successor (she doesn't have the education for that) she wants her daughter NJH to become CMS's spiritual daughter so that NJH can get her legacy.   

On the other hand, CMS wants to be seen as a mother by HJY. She prefers HJY over NJH because she sees that HJY has a huge sense of justice. In my opinion, there are many reasons why CMS takes care of HJY and keeps encouraging her. CMS could be feeling sorry towards HJY as she is the one responsible for her mother's death/disappearance. Nevertheless, I suspect that CMS could have been different in the past, similar to HJY but she might have been forced to become like this due to her father. Notice that there is a strong connection between CMS and her father: the picture of them at Ha's studio and it was mentioned in the interview. Another observation is that CMS seems to be quite genuine with HJY. She complained how uncomfortable she feels, when she wears the judge robe. This remark is not anodine: CMS expresses her real discomfort and it is related that she needs to act like a fair judge all the time. Faking to be a good judge represents a huge burden in the long run. On the other hand, CMS can not entirely be herself around HJY because she wants to keep HJY as her most fervent fan. She knows that HJY worships her and this is important for her. She needs this in order to feel less guilty and less burden. 

Only BPS knows the real face of CMS but he can not tell HJY directly that "all that glitters is not gold". 

She needs to discover it herself as she has been manipulated and "brainwashed" for such a long time. In order to destroy a "false religion", you need to reveal the true face of that religion: the crimes committed behind people's back.

Here are my final words: sun and gold are similar hence this "Golden City project" is linked to CMS. 

Hi @bebebisous33 chingu, as usual you are amazing with your detailed comments. I have not started Lawless Lawyer yet but I will do that today because its Lee Jun Ki after all.

I can't keep with this thread!!! it moves so fast!!! i finally done reading and finally can comment. the thing is i can´t post anymore using chrome, am i the only one? i had to download mozilla and it's working so far. what's happening soompi? rant over..

first, i'm absolutely loving this drama, every single thing about it, from LJG and the rest of the cast, to the dialogues, the action, the BGM... you name it, i love it

second, i'm really happy about the ratings news... i'm in heaven.  i decided i will enjoy a little, before start worrying about next episodes ones

third, thank you all for sharing so many goodies! i love them all. it's hard to keep updated when it's raining LL, but i'm happy it's raining

I enjoyed very much watching raws, and i'm planing to keep doing it, but i'm so thankful for subs. it takes the drama to another level. i also think mom is alive btw

hope from now on i can join the discussion in real time

10 hours ago, NoonaE said:

I laughed so hard the part Sang PIl and his crew antics.  think JG should consider rom com for his next project 

Just wanna share 

Lawless Lawyer's press conference was featured on Arirang's Showbiz Korea 

I can't seem to post the video link as thumbnail though.. 

https://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dz1vfZZU6Gyw&ved=0ahUKEwitmueCkprbAhXLvo8KHWzUCj8QuAIIJTAA&usg=AOvVaw18RO1y6YFVXvF5n9oscMj9

I finally watched 3 & 4 today and I loved it.  The story is moving at a fast pace and the action scenes make it seem more so. I did note that in the fight with the hitman in the tunnel, JY was on the same side of the tunnel as SP when the train came by, but then she ended up as a hostage on the other side of the tunnel :tongue:,  picky me I just had to point it out :lol:.  Can someone tell me if JY is a paralegal or office manager? the subs keep switching between the two. 

I think his Uncle has someone on the inside keeping watch all these years. Despite his sister cutting ties with him, would a gang leader not seek some form of revenge for her murder? at the very least he would want to be kept informed of Ahn's movements for any opportunity to take him down.

Is VIU a streaming website?

A paralegal and an office manager of a law firm are practically the same thing which is why the subs switch back and forth. 

I hadn't noticed the train scene, I'll have to rewatch. 

Update: Just rewatched the train scene and JY and SP were on opposite sides. She was on the side with the guy who killed the mayor when the train passed.

I don't think so. I rewatched the clip. She was standing behind them so to their right. When she saw the train, she screamed his name since they were standing on the trail itself. That's when he went to his left and pushed the killer to the right where Jae Yi was standing. 

11 minutes ago, RobinM said:

RE: His stomach problems. I hope he dosen't have the dreaded K drama Cancer or other illness :( 

Well in his first drama

Spoiler

The writer gave the lead early Alzheimer lol So there's that. Then again he wrote his female lead way better in LL  than in Remember. Hell even Sang Pil he's a million times better than YSH character in Remember. So maybe he'll be nicer to Sang Pil  lol

2 hours ago, RobinM said:

RE: His stomach problems. I hope he dosen't have the dreaded K drama Cancer or other illness :( 

arrgh i hope not.:(

Anyway lets rewind this...

not today honey...this misogynistic rubbish should never come out of any reputable legal professional's mouth 

tumblr_p9427clIut1r1my6mo3_500.gif

No I dont blame her.Slap the stupid out of him:

tumblr_p9427clIut1r1my6mo6_500.gif

and bong sang pil's very accurate reaction:

tumblr_p91uh7qlty1rdlm3eo3_250.gif

Archived