Quantcast
singlebilingual

2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea

Kim Yo-jong (Kim Jong-un's sister), Mike Pence, and Shinzō Abe are all in South Korea now. They'll attend the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics today. Ivanka Trump will attend the closing ceremony. This will be interesting.

• Like 2

I just read that Pence wants to take a harder stance regarding North Korea. Way to go USA. Just when they're finally trying to come closer and there are even talks, initiated by NK, about reuniting the country, the USA has to come and nuke it all.

I wonder when the USA is ever going to learn not to meddle in other countries politics. It would make for a much nicer world.

Back to K-Drama. Lot less drama there :) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

So so proud of our contingent here as we are a country with no snow or winter . 30c weather all year round. It’s an achievement for this young man to be able to make it this far. He crowd funded his way here along with financial support fr family as winter sports is not exactly a priority for the sports ministry of a tropical country 

His inspiring story here 

https://skatemariposa.com/julian-yee-national-champion-malaysia/

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2018/01/31/malaysian-singaporean-athletes-take-up-winter-olympics-challenge/

• Like 5

couple of stories were interesting... but the ones about tonga flab bearer just had me cracking up... LOL... :lol:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-10/winter-olympics:-tongan-flag-bearer-pita-taufatofua-entrance/9418056

this headline: :lol::lol::lol:@kokodus, can't help but think of you! hahahahha....

Thank you Tongan flag bearer for being shirtless and oiled up for the Winter Olympics

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/9/16995320/tonga-shirtless-flag-bearer-pita-taufatofua-winter-olympics

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

@Lmangla I can’t  complain bout the visuals . I would tone down the oil ! I wonder if @stroppyse saw this live ...kkkkkk

Edited by triplem
  • LOL 3

Didn’t go to Opening Ceremonies because tickets were too expensive, but saw it on screen at a live viewing site. There was a bit of a cheer at the crazy Tongan flag bearer who was shirtless despite below freezing weather. :D He won over the Bermudans who just wore their shorts as being the craziest about their national attire (or lack thereof) despite the below freezing weather. :lol: 

Not having a lot of luck logging to this site, but managed this time. Having a blast, however. :) 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

50 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Didn’t go to Opening Ceremonies because tickets were too expensive, but saw it on screen at a live viewing site. There was a bit of a cheer at the crazy Tongan flag bearer who was shirtless despite below freezing weather. :D He won over the Bermudans who just wore their shirts as being the craziest about their national attire (or lack thereof) despite the below freezing weather. :lol: 

Not having a lot of luck logging to this site, but managed this time. Having a blast, however. :) 

good u are enjoying urself

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, angelangie said:

good u are enjoying urself

Yes, thanks. Despite being hampered by the cast on the foot and being on crutches, but everyone has been super friendly and helpful. I think everyone fells sorry to see me hobbling around. :) 

Btw, the Bermudans wore their traditional Bermuda shorts, not shirts as I originally wrote. We were thinking they were totally crazy not to be bundled up, and then the Tongan came striding out... 

:lol: 

• LOL 3

21 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Yes, thanks. Despite being hampered by the cast on the foot and being on crutches, but everyone has been super friendly and helpful. I think everyone fells sorry to see me hobbling around. :) 

Btw, the Bermudans wore their traditional Bermuda shorts, not shirts as I originally wrote. We were thinking they were totally crazy not to be bundled up, and then the Tongan came striding out... 

:lol: 

ahem......hahahhaa oh well it happen you know lols....

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Has anyone heard of a virus from olympic village? and I also read some posts on reddit from volunteers, they were saying that the managing part is awful, the organization itself very poor, the feeling like they didn't get prepare enough? Is anyone out there who went to Korea for og?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, eunjungfr said:

Has anyone heard of a virus from olympic village? and I also read some posts on reddit from volunteers, they were saying that the managing part is awful, the organization itself very poor, the feeling like they didn't get prepare enough? Is anyone out there who went to Korea for og?

Really , I have not read anything about viruses...though I did read about strong winds disrupting some events. @stroppyse how is it? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eunjungfr said:

am not surprised because these kind of comments about organization happens with every large sporting events... at least, the buildings were on time so much earlier and there wasn't any question on whether athletes have to run in half finished stadiums.... maybe the weather is causing some confusion...

• Like 2

I actually did hear about the virus thing on the news while I was at the gym. Apparently half of the original workers had to be replaced because they got the flu or something like that. There were originally something like 1500 workers who got the flu and they replaced them with about 900 new people. 

That's all I really heard though. Nothing since then. Granted, I'm not following the Olympics closely either. 

Right after that the DOW dropped 6% in two days so the news stations here moved on pretty quick. 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2018 at 2:39 AM, triplem said:

Really , I have not read anything about viruses...though I did read about strong winds disrupting some events. @stroppyse how is it? 

There was an outbreak of norovirus in the Olympic Village that affected 1200 workers. They detached 900 Korean soldiers to help out instead of those affected workers. However, Korean soldiers are young for the most part, so blend in with the rest of the staff and volunteer forces. I just happen to engage one of these soldiers in conversation at an event, and so got a few more details. No athletes were affected by the norovirus, however.

It’s been exceptionally cold here in Korea, with strong winds delaying and/or disrupting some of the outdoor events, but I think disriptions by nature in outdoor events are part of the sport. Some angry mutterings in women’s snowboard slopestyle, but actors and spectators seem to be handling it with fair grace for the most part.

Not that I don’t have complaints about some aspects around event management. For instance, at snowboard venue, the concession stand ran out of all hot food and coffee about halfway through the day. They still had a couple of teabags left, but given how cold it was, it was a total shame. Also, I wondered if they severely underestimated how much spectators can eat? 

However, it’s clear that they’ve put thought into things, though it can always be done better. Trying to balance logistics of the games and getting people around to various venues has been a challenge for every major sporting event, I think, especially when the venues are dispersed through a city/region such as Olympics games usually are. Also, everyone, especially the host country volunteers and workers are all so nice and polite, and they try hard to be helpful, though not always in the most effective way. :) 

My biggest criticism of these games as a spectator may be that while there are plenty of sites showing events live in the Olympic games areas and Seoul, there doesn’t seem to be many ways for fans, especially foreign fans who have traveled here to easily congregate, preferably in a covered area with food and drink and live feeds of the games.  It’s hard to explain since there are plenty of restaurants and outdoor spaces. However, it’s too cold to be outdoors for very long, and the indoor spaces tend to be small. Without an invite to one of the Sponsor’s houses which are hard to come by for most fans, it can be a case of go to the venue, watch the event, then leave, without knowing where to go to celebrate/commiserate afterwards. Btw, this seems to always be more challenging for the Winter Games with its cold weather than for the Summer Games where people tend to hang out in the outdoor parks provided.

However, these are the Olympics and it’s amazing to watch the sheer athleticism on display, along with various triumphs and disappointments. And when a South Korean athlete wins an unexpected medal, such as the speed skater Choi Min Seok who is a senior in high school who won a bronze in the men’s 1500, which I think is the first men’s speed skating medal for SK (not short track whick South Korea is known for), the whole country seems to erupt in euphoria, not to mention replayed repeatedly on all the tv stations.

If you haven’t already, you should go watch Team USA Chloe Kim’s final ride in the ladies’ halfpipe snowboard. She had already clinched her gold medal with her first run, but she went and posted an even more amazing ride. And, Team USA Shaun White’s second qualification run  in men’s halfpipe left everyone breathless wondering how his airtime and tricks were even possible.

Watching it on tv already looks amazing, but watching it in person, and seeing how imposing a course or track may look, and how fast these athletes are moving is mind boggling. Even the figure skaters, as artistic as they are being, they generate so much speed on the ice in order to do their tricks. Without a tracking camera, one understands exactly how fast things are, and hw one might not want to blink for fear of missing something. :)

And, then there are the team play sports of curling and hockey. So much fun with such enthusiastic supporters, even if they are sometimes smaller in number.

Which reminds, I have another complaint about ticketing, but I’ll leave that for now in favor of admiration of all the athletes who are all amazing to watch. :)  This is so much fun! I love the Olympics! And, I haven’t even mentioned all of the yummy Korean food.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No, figure skating for me this Olympic. The ticket prices for figure skating are too crazy. Watching it on tv instead. :D 

Chloe Kim is amazing. I went to that final. I was freezing and happy to be there.

The ladies’ halfpipe finals was followed by men’s halfpipe qualification.  Here is Shaun White’s second run. He gets 6 meters above the pipe on his tricks. This is just astounding. Sorry, I couldn’t find a YT version as yet. 

https://snowboarding.transworld.net/videos/shaun-whites-full-top-qualifier-run-scores-98-5-during-mens-olympic-halfpipe/

Anyway, the finals for men’s halfpipe is today. :) 

• Like 3