2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea

singlebilingual

I just read that Pence wants to take a harder stance regarding North Korea. Way to go USA. Just when they're finally trying to come closer and there are even talks, initiated by NK, about reuniting the country, the USA has to come and nuke it all.

I wonder when the USA is ever going to learn not to meddle in other countries politics. It would make for a much nicer world.

Back to K-Drama. Lot less drama there :) 

couple of stories were interesting... but the ones about tonga flab bearer just had me cracking up... LOL... :lol:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-10/winter-olympics:-tongan-flag-bearer-pita-taufatofua-entrance/9418056

this headline: :lol::lol::lol:@kokodus, can't help but think of you! hahahahha....

Thank you Tongan flag bearer for being shirtless and oiled up for the Winter Olympics

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/9/16995320/tonga-shirtless-flag-bearer-pita-taufatofua-winter-olympics

Has anyone heard of a virus from olympic village? and I also read some posts on reddit from volunteers, they were saying that the managing part is awful, the organization itself very poor, the feeling like they didn't get prepare enough? Is anyone out there who went to Korea for og?

8 hours ago, eunjungfr said:

Has anyone heard of a virus from olympic village? and I also read some posts on reddit from volunteers, they were saying that the managing part is awful, the organization itself very poor, the feeling like they didn't get prepare enough? Is anyone out there who went to Korea for og?

am not surprised because these kind of comments about organization happens with every large sporting events... at least, the buildings were on time so much earlier and there wasn't any question on whether athletes have to run in half finished stadiums.... maybe the weather is causing some confusion...

I actually did hear about the virus thing on the news while I was at the gym. Apparently half of the original workers had to be replaced because they got the flu or something like that. There were originally something like 1500 workers who got the flu and they replaced them with about 900 new people. 

That's all I really heard though. Nothing since then. Granted, I'm not following the Olympics closely either. 

Right after that the DOW dropped 6% in two days so the news stations here moved on pretty quick. 

10 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Something else. 2020 Summer Games is in Tokyo. 2022 Winter Games is in China. I wonder that the Asian countries are winning out on successive games like this. I thought that the IOC tried to spread the love around to different geographic locations. However, I'm wondering if the cost of putting these games are so prohibitive now that fewer cities/countries are putting in bids? Plus, I understand that more cities, especially in Europe, are losing the popular vote to host the games in referendums to host the Olympics. Not to mention, Boston pulled out of their bid for the 2024 Summer Games despite being the potential winner of their bid.

According to this Korean article,

http://news.mt.co.kr/mtview.php?no=2018022615302977568&MT_T

the Olympics in Korea gained a huge surplus thanks to the increased ticket sales especially during the holiday and the weekends. The Pyeongchang Winter Olympics Committee was originally expecting a deficit. The next Winter Olympics will also have a holiday period in it and could be a surplus, too.

In the past, the Winter Olympics were rarely held in an Asian country. If a surplus continues to be gained with the Asian hosts, I think we could continue to see this change in the hosting trend that we're seeing now. I don't mean that we'll see no Western host in the future. I think the trend of having Asia rarely host could end.

2 hours ago, singlebilingual said:

According to this Korean article,

http://news.mt.co.kr/mtview.php?no=2018022615302977568&MT_T

the Olympics in Korea gained a huge surplus thanks to the increased ticket sales especially during the holiday and the weekends. The Pyeongchang Winter Olympics Committee was originally expecting a deficit. The next Winter Olympics will also have a holiday period in it and could be a surplus, too.

In the past, the Winter Olympics were rarely held in an Asian country. If a surplus continues to be gained with the Asian hosts, I think we could continue to see this change in the hosting trend that we're seeing now. I don't mean that we'll see no Western host in the future. I think the trend of having Asia rarely host could end.

Actually, it’s true that because of lunar new year, turn out was much higher on those days then the others, and of course, when the Korean athletes started doing well, that increased people’s willingness to come from other parts of Korea to come to the Games also.

Also, I think Asian countries’ increased willingness to hold the Winter games means that they will be awarded the Winter Games more often, especially as Asian countries grow higher in profile in the Winter Games sports.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived