Last Japanese movie you watched?

snow_angel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Your Lie in April

21uaMb6.png

I really try to stay away from movies that have the potential to be sad but I couldn't help myself. It's really good. Kento was great, I loved Suzu Hirose in this too.

Edited by evie7
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not much that I wanted to see from Japan this year. I enjoyed Sakamichi no Apollon/Kids on the Slope, but the story felt a little stale because I had already read the manga series and watched the anime at this point. Also, even though Nana Komatsu is my ideal beauty, she was not right for the part of Ritsuko, and there was a spark missing between her and Yuri Chinen. It was a solid 6/10 for me.

I also got to see romantic fantasy Tonight, At The Movies (2018) directed by Hideki Takeuchi and starring Ayase Haruka and Kentaro Sakaguchi. This one was a solid 7/10. I wasn't really interested in Kentaro Sakaguchi before, but he gave a good performance. 

tonight-at-the-movies-2018.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, Hirose Suzu and Fukushi Sota look so different in Laplace's Witch! In a good way. 

I was able to see an older film adapted from Yukio Mishima's novel of the same name, Spring Snow, directed by Isao Yukisada. The film was shot beautifully. I loved all the scenes in the snow. The costumes were amazing for a Japanese period film. But after reading the novel, I realize it's quite different from the story Yukio Mishima wanted to tell at its core. Tsumabuki Satoshi did make the character of Kiyoaki more appealing than he was in the book, which I really appreciate. It's hard to sit and watch something for more than an hour when you dislike the main character. I'd give this film an 7/10. It's very slow-paced and definitely not for everyone, but I added an extra point for its replay factor.

haru-no-yuk.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Kensatsugawa no Zainin aka Killing for the Prosecution.  Kimura and Nino :love:

Good job for both actors. I prefer to see them in dramas.  heard Nino got nominated for his charcter here.

Dark in a way not much action but I was confused for most parts. I realized towards the end  Mogami wanted revenge.

8/10

Dp2ougKXgAIbBxX.jpg

Plan to watch Laplace Witch and the others I see here.  I want to watch new  Kento Yamazaki movie.

• Like 3

On 12/18/2018 at 1:49 AM, sonosong said:

I was able to see an older film adapted from Yukio Mishima's novel of the same name, Spring Snow, directed by Isao Yukisada. The film was shot beautifully. I loved all the scenes in the snow. The costumes were amazing for a Japanese period film. But after reading the novel, I realize it's quite different from the story Yukio Mishima wanted to tell at its core. Tsumabuki Satoshi did make the character of Kiyoaki more appealing than he was in the book, which I really appreciate. It's hard to sit and watch something for more than an hour when you dislike the main character. I'd give this film an 7/10. It's very slow-paced and definitely not for everyone, but I added an extra point for its replay factor.

I also watched Spring Snow, but thought it was mediocre. Tsumabuki Satoshi was fine as Kiyoaki in the film, but he was not the novel character. Takeuchi Yuko was a miscast. Film Honda and novel Honda are like two different people. Almost none of the novel's history,  background, characterisation was incorporated into the film. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched Shoplifters on the plane and ended up crying. It was such a good film that really made you think about society, relationships, poverty and what it means to be a family. I highly recommend it. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...