Quantcast
Lmangla

drama tropes we love and hate!

I had a good laugh reading all those tropes :lol: Let me add another one.

#60 Drunk kiss or almost kiss

So we all know this trope. One of main leads gets totally drunk and either kiss another lead and then doesn’t remember it or passes out before the actual kiss  :lol:

A376_B2_C2-9_E97-44_E4-_A668-_F933_EF7_B

• LOL 8

2 hours ago, kokodus said:

#54 cute little stuffed dolls

Mostly given by the male lead to his girl as a token of love. Hahahaha. So cute though.

Wow... me want ..... to be that soft toy...heee

hNultVT.jpg

:grimace:

I tried to wait another poster to give the idea.. but this just pops in my mind... haha

#61 Slow motion and multiple angle shots to epic scene

Drama needs to be closely shots or give it slow motion until shows some different angle to make it look much intense and spectacular. Scenes like k-scene, OTP encounter, fall at the first sight, ending scene and etc. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

@triplem the yellow umbrella is also prominently featured in Love Rain. In fact, the story started and developed around a yellow umbrella-bearing woman. 

2174828.jpg 

But mere mortals are the only ones who need rain and a lover as prerequisites for a yellow umbrella scene. 

a.jpg

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

#62 Heroes or heroins with superpower ability

Mind reading, teleport, super hearing, super strength, etc.

This is one that I love as it brings the fantasy element we never see in the real life :D

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

63 Violence?

I don't know if this is kind of covered by some of the other categories, but this is a trope that I've been really uncomfortable with, and it's the level of violence in the work place where a superior seems to think it's okay to smack around his/her subordinates. I've seen this with both male and female superiors who are then hitting his secretary or staff member, both men and women.

Or perhaps it should just be the level of violence that the older or more powerful person seems free to inflict on those who are weaker  or more subordinate in general. Though domestic abuse, stranger abuse, and workplace abuse all seem to happen with some frequency in kdramas.

Perhaps I've been especially surprised by the scenes of white collar workplace violence I've seen though because that is unheard of in my country. Workplace violence would be an instant lawsuit and condemnation from all quarters. Makes me glad that I'm not working in Korea if that type of behavior is tolerated just because they are higher on the corporate ladder.

Thanks for compiling the list @Lmangla. It was fun reading them. :) I was initially thinking that there should perhaps be 2 lists, 1 for tropes we love and 1 for tropes we hate. However, on thinking about it, there are probably a number of tropes that are both loved and hated by different members or even by the same member depending on the drama. :D

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

#64 Good girl falls in love with bad boy trope

Mostly seen in highschool dramas like Shut Up Flower Boy Band!, Angry Mom etc. The good girl falls in love with the bad boy - bad boy in the sense of what the parents would think of the boy who is wearing leather jackets, makes music, isn't studying, and so on. :D

As for the umbrella (yellow) trope: I thought I remembered it from the drama Big but the umbrella there was green. kkk

@stroppyse Very important "trope". Overall the massive violence in dramas, slapping people just like that etc.

• Like 7

On 29/1/2018 at 10:53 PM, angelangie said:

hahaha 

#26 Dramas - 2nd female lead evil usually

i hate the most is the evil female / male lead that always act like they should be entitled to their wishes and they should get it .... 

what i almost hate is how when one thought that by leaving they are saving the other party? for goodness sake it doesnt help you know lols

i prefer to see that the evil heart get some of their retributions....they need to really go thru the hardships....i'm not being a devil but still some times seeing them having the easy way out kinda like seeing ppl taking a shortcut :x

This is why i love the drama "protect the boss" the baddies are hilarious and "more real"(?) if that makes sense

Anyway:

U-TURNS   Anytime, Anywhere, EVERYWHERE! 

SOJU, must be the cheapest booze on earth, or everyone gets paid like a king

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

kekeke... @onlysb1 ~ when I figure out how to pin this post, I will. hahahaha... really am such a tech spazz. :sweat_smile: 

here's the updated list... did you know there were so many tropes? kekeke.... wonder if we can go beyond 100!

#1 - rescued from truck of doom

#2 - The childhood friends turn into lovers
#3 Cliche pull and push realtionship
#4 Noble idiocy separation
#5 Rich boy poor girl
#6 Angry Encounters  
#7 The shopping/makeover scene  
#8 the rooftop room
#9 Piggyback ride
#10 Half-way through the drama amnesia trope
#11 - gangster clothes
#12 The mean love interest trope
#13 Clinging ex
#14 - bad boys in saeguks always get the cool outfits including really nice earrings!
#15 Love triangle FTW... NOT.
#16 Time Jump
#18 Sweet Second Male Lead turn into Evil OOC Parody trope
#19 - doors are never locked
#20 Broken and troubled main lead being healed by love
#21 - everyone relaxes in sauna
#22 Birth secrets
#23 The Wrist Grab
#24 fan service shower scenes !!!
#25 Kdramas seem to only have 2 endings
#26 Dramas - 2nd female lead evil usually
#27 poor but still brand stylish
#28 - everything fits into one suitcase when they leave
#29 - girl is strong in beginning and total mush later
#30 - girl, the forgiving saint
#31 - pair of glasses that don't work
#32 - Babe Falls .. Oppa catcha
#33 Cross Dressing!!!
#34 - opposing kdrama parents
#35 all male leads are genius
#36 okie Pretended SICKNESS!!!
#37 In kdramas, people have sex with clothes on.
#34 - when oppa is hot but his style is confusing.
#39 Let's kiss like a stone hits a tree trope
#40 Everyone eats at Subway
#41 kim nam gil dies in most of his dramas
#42 Cutting your own hair will give you a cool haircut
#43 Love contract
#44 co-habitation

#45 - noona - dongseng

#46 - han river is the place to be.
#47 - fauxcest
#48 start from enemies to lovers
#49 Cancer
#50 Funny BFF

#51 - bromance

#52  - first female lead destined to get less fashionable 

#53 - yellow umbrella

#54 - cute stuffed dolls given as gifts

#55 - ajumma perm

#56 - gang of 4 romances in weekend dramas

#57 - faulty CPR

#58 - water slap, also document slap!

#59 - Wind Blowing when Hottie/Babe ... 'Descends'

#60 - the drunk kiss or almost kiss

#61 - Slow motion and multiple angle shots to epic scene

#62 - Heroes or heroins with superpower ability

#63 Violent bosses

#64 Good girl falls in love with bad boy trope

#65 U-TURNS   Anytime, Anywhere! 

#66 SOJU, must be the cheapest booze on earth, or everyone gets paid like a king

#67 The Wet Washcloth is the Cure to (Nearly) All Illnesses!

#68 The hospital to treat minor ailments.

#69 The most memorable Epinephrine of medical drama

#70 Drama main lead is bulletproof and immortal

#71 accidental kisses

contributors: @Jillia @stargazer187 @kokodus @kaitochi @yamiyugi @adriana902 @stroppyse @angelangie @supergal99 @onlysb1 @jeijei @SpiritGambler @triplem  @Lmangla @phikyl @aisling @oneandthree @Night Star

Edited by Lmangla
updated list
  • Like 7

67 The Wet Washcloth is the Cure to (Nearly) All Illnesses!

Have a fever? With the application of a wet washcloth to the forehead, the fever will break and everything will be fine by morning! Suffering aches, chills, hallucinations, or anything else that might take a person to bed to rest? A wet washcloth to the head and all better by morning!

68 The hospital to treat minor ailments.

Of course if it's not serious enough for a Wet Washcloth, then go to the hospital to get it looked at. Have a cold? Get a shot. Have a papercut? ER will have a bandaid on you in no time. 

Unless, it's cancer, in which case, apparently MD Anderson in Texas, USA may be the only cancer center in the world.  :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

#67 The most memorable Epinephrine of medical drama

Lol, I even memorize this medicine. It's injected to the heart when they tried to revive the losing heartbeats. And dramas also teach me that it can be used for relieving your anxiety. Hahaha.. any doctors here? Well I'm curious is that how it works for real or only in dramas it applied? Haaa

#68 Drama main lead is bulletproof and immortal

Don't you see how great they are. It's like they're having nine lives as in the game. So no matter how much they got shots, they're still immortal. They die then it called sad ending. Bwahahaha

@stroppyse we both post things related, medical.. :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

@stroppyse @stargazer187 ~ just tweak your numbers to 2 notches; so, this wet cloth fever wipe -- does it work in real life? does anyone know? .... wonder how docs watch medical dramas. do they laugh at the inaccuracies? or is it quite accurate? do they think "doctors don't behave like this at all?" :lol:

@Night Star ~ there are like no traffic jams ever in dramaland. so makes it easy for dramatic uturns with full music blast. hahahaha...

10_2097d1a479d77b59bb36bcad276b1919.jpg

omo, we found 70! another 30 tropes to go!!!!

• LOL 6

32 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

#67 The most memorable Epinephrine of medical drama

Lol, I even memorize this medicine. It's injected to the heart when they tried to revive the losing heartbeats. And dramas also teach me that it can be used for relieving your anxiety. Hahaha.. any doctors here? Well I'm curious is that how it works for real or only in dramas it applied? Haaa

Epinephrine is a natural hormone produced in your body, usually called adrenaline, e.g, the stuff that is produced when one is excited or one is having a fight/flight response. And, it has a lot of uses in your body, causing smooth muscles to relax and striated muscles to contract, and having an effect of stimulation of some systems and restriction of other systems.

So, epinephrine in drug form is used pretty commonly, for instance, in anaphylaxis, e.g. severe, acute allergy symptoms, epinephrine is used to counter the symptoms (e.g. EpiPen). And, when the heart is failing, epinephrine is one of the medication that is used to try to help the heart, usually by injection directly into the blood stream. In times of cardiac arrest, under certain circumstances, it can be injected directly into the heart to try to help restart it and stabilize the heartbeat.

Also, since the body produces it naturally as well, there aren't issues of the body rejecting epinephrine, though there are some side effects of an epi application, including fast heart beat and elevation of blood pressure, and adding epi to a stable system may actually cause the heart to become temporarily irregular.

So, it's not just a medical drama thing. It's not a miracle drug, but it's close.

19 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

so, this wet cloth fever wipe -- does it work in real life? does anyone know?

The wet cloth fever wipe, however, may help someone feel better since they're heating up, but it doesn't actually treat the fever itself. In order to break the fever faster, one may acetaminophen, ibuprofen or another NSAID. However, those just treat the fever as well. Usually, the fever is a symptom of something else going on in the body, and so one doesn't become better until the underlying issues have worked itself out. And, the wet cloth doesn't have that much efficacy.

Anyway, @bedifferent is the doc. She can explain all of this much better, and correct anything I've said about the medical stuff. :) Plus, she should join us here anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

@Lmangla I do wonder how real doctors reaction when they watch medical dramas... I even curious that the dramatic blood vessels spurting to face in real surgery. Haha... I don't say I hate it. Honestly, watching that scene with intense music background makes it more enjoyable to watch. Hahahaha

@stroppyse whoaa... I learned new thing today... thanks to you. You must be a doctor right. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

#71 Accidental kisses

Usually our clumsy female lead lost her balanced and our male lead catches her or if they have a love-hate relationship they could be fighting when they collide and their lips have a tendency to connect smoothly , you'll never see they will hurt each other with their teeth colliding at high speeds. This drama trope is usually used as the first kiss of our OTP, love can beat anything even physics laws

accidental_kiss_-_my_girl.jpg

@triplem Whith the one above I thought only in a Kdrama they are alive, how is that kiss even be possible?  hahaha

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

@adriana902 ~ I loved that kiss from my girl! :kiss_wink:was surprised when the kiss happened and laughed so much when he actually dropped her in shock. hahahahha... and then she pretends to hit her head and faint in embarrassment or something. it still is one of the best accidental kisses. kekeke... now it makes me want to re-watch the drama.

@stargazer187 ~ don't know how doctors deal with all the stuff in real life but in drama, the fake blood is actually some sort of ketchup type thing and is edible -- thats what they said in some documentary. hahahha... so when actors film and the fake blood goes on them, it is okay ...it probably tastes bad though?... hahahha...

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

#72 We had cancer but there is also the brain tumor trope   #73 Shady endings

If the main character doesn't suffer from cancer he/she suffers from a brain tumor which usually leads to very shady endings which don't really tell whether the main character survived or not.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

2 minutes ago, Jillia said:

#72 We had cancer but there is also the brain tumor trope   #73 Shady endings

If the main character doesn't suffer from cancer he/she suffers from a brain tumor which usually leads to very shady endings which don't really tell whether the main character survived or not.

LOL..cracking up on your comment @Jillia... but @kokodus got cancer at #49. should we keep it to #72 - brain cancer and shady endings 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

@Lmangla My girl is one of my favourites dramas of all time It was the third Kdrama I watched so it has a sweet spot in my heart, I have never have laugh that much with a drama. Probably I would watch it again too

• Like 7

#74 Cooking Ramen

Doesn’t matter if the main characters are rich or poor, there’s always a scene where they cook and eat ramen, preferably from a lid.

32_D214_E5-6_E23-41_F4-9_D88-66_AE1_FC77

F093383_F-_EAE3-4_CB1-8154-_C39_DB67_ABB

D857_BDEC-_BD7_C-4459-_A9_C4-126_A2_A718

• Like 3
  • LOL 6