[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

11 hours ago, redfoxprincess said:

First things first, i did NOT use the word ‘tranny’ to describe ‘ugly cross dresser’. How did you jump to this and how/why are cross-dressers ugly? I used the word ‘tranny’ (in the ‘drag queen’ sense) to describe Ye Hua’s wig. I said I laughed at his hair. 

I hate getting overly politically correct though, for the very reason that this has already highlighted: terms are used differently in different countries and cultures. The term ‘tranny’ originated here in Sydney, Australia, and you can read more about it here and here, but i was using it in the more recent ‘drag queen’/‘Tranny Bingo’ sense. So while ‘tranny’ is offensive in your mind because of its usage and connotations in the US, all i thought was ‘he looks like a drag queen’. Yes, i thought Ye Hua’s hair down was ugly. But i also think men in drag are downright ugly. I don’t consider ‘drag queens’ to be a ‘group of people’ but rather a ‘style’ - a style/look/fashion expression for entertainment purposes that i happen to think is ugly (entertaining, but ugly). Since you work in fashion, surely, you must find some fashion ugly and some not, right? It’s got absolutely NOTHING to do with LGBTQIA. In fact, transgender persons would be the first to want to distinguish themselves from drag queen entertainers.

I also want to speak up for those who are not on the same page with LGBT+ issues - it’s absolutely okay to have a different opinion, and it’s absolutely okay to laugh at the fact that Ye Hua looked like a drag queen.

Hypothetically speaking, I don’t think it even makes any sense to call trans persons (transgender, transexual, transvestite) - as a supposed group of people - ‘ugly’, when their looks are as diverse as their gender identities, and I’m not sure there’s any aesthetic commonality that distinguishes them or can be used to generalise their appearances. I have a transgender cousin. Born female, he now looks just like any other balding, overweight middle-aged blokey bloke. So what?

I don’t know anything about Australian terms, but the word tranny is considered a slur in the US and it is used to describe “transsexuals” which is an outdated term. It was used as a slur because it was typically to make fun of “ugly” MTF trans people. Drag queens are absolutely different from transgender people, but the term in the US typically refers to transgender people and not drag queens which is why I said that a more appropriate word could be used because you’re referring to drag. However, you’re welcomed to use any word as it does mean something different in your culture, but for a global audience, I wanted to point out how this word may be offensive to those in the US. 

I will agree to disagree about whether or not drag queens are a group or a style though. I know many drag queens who would argue both sides so neither of us are right or wrong here. Just a matter of opinion, some see it as an identity and others as a style. I personally love drag culture and drag queen styles so also agree to disagree on it being ugly. 

You’re right that it doesn’t make sense to associate an entire group of people with “ugly,” and that’s not what I am implying, but below are some background links for why I am bringing it up as a point. There are trans people who don’t find the word offensive (as mentioned in the blog below), but just like the n-word, I would personally avoid using because it’s not my place as a outsider of the marginalized group to say that a slur isn’t a slur. I originally brought up the point just in case you were not familiar with LGBT+ issues and didn’t realize it could be offensive, but seeing as you are familiar with the word and LGBT+ issues, it is absolutely your personal decision to use the word or not. Again, I know nothing about Australian LGBT+ communities so I am not trying to police you on the word. I would like this conversation to end here, I think we have both respectfully provided sufficient links and thoughts for people to make their own choices. 

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-personal-history-of-t-word-and-some.html?m=1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranny

On a lighter, on-topic note, I found Donghua’s wig to be really plastic-y looking and not at all like his beautiful silver locks. It’s almost yellow-tinted in certain lighting. 

I will also give the movie another watch now that I’m more familiar with the books to see if I also find it more in line. The drama does add a lot of side plot, but I didn’t think the main plot was too different. Granted, I had a hard time visualizing the book differently from the drama when I read it, maybe some of the nuances were lost in translation or just lost on me. I tend to overlay drama and books when I have both forms. 

i wanted to talk about this before but as i was getting excited about my chronological finding talent i have totally forgotten about it

i realised that in book one, feng jiu have a lil too much gag reaction, almost too slapstick for me

or maybe because how i interpret the story

but when i read she falls hard on the floor

dropped to the floor plays dead

fell straight to the door

fell over and slammed her face and so on

i felt like it is a lil forced

the action of the reaction i mean

i wonder how will dilraba will do these gags if it were to be used in the drama without making it seems a lil too much

i wouldnt mind if those were not used at all actually

hahaha

okay back to main point i want to talk about

first

the xiao yan and donghua battle at mount fuyu

the reason why donghua brought fengjiu alone

was it to fulfill her request that she made while she was drunk some times before

since she was teeny tiny (well she is at that moment since she is a handkerchief) and asked to be brought along with him to the fight

he rather willingly obliges

i would want to think that way even though it was not mentioned in the book

hahaha

and also

when she was attacked by the one wing snow lion shaoying

after i read book 2 and about the heartache she felt because no one was there to save her each time she was in peril

i read that bit of her melancholy and find it even more heartbreaking

i totally understand her saying of noone was there to help her

even though in the end she was saved

it was always at the very last end where she has suffered too much and too hard

it was never in the nick of time

during that time, donghua was supposed to come even before shaoying struck her the first time and that didn't happen

it was forgivable still if he comes when the lon struck her the second time and that didn't happen too

instead she was beaten almost to her death and it was her own effort that she manages to find a way to be found by siming

it seems that during that time her fate was far stronger with siming than the non existent one she has with donghua - i wonder what would happen if destiny wasn't rewritten for them

will siming had a chance instead?

hahaha

by reading book 1 and then book 2 and taken into consideration book 2 while rereading book 1 and then book 2 again

i have better and more profound emotional attachment to the story

everything seems to clicked even more and affected you even more

:)

since we are only in january of 2019, still a very long way to go

can we have another trailer like please? 

hahaha

btw

i remember the things that was left by fengjiu by accident and maybe fate at taichen palace and was collected by donghua

i was in awe that he kept everything with him all the time

its not like he knows she would be there at that time to inquire and collect them all

so he must have them with him all the time

unless he is a picker and hoarder hahaha

anyway i know about the 

the citrine bracelet and also the white hair pin

what about the white jade one? is that one of her own as well?

and also we still didnt know what happens to the white jade trinket that shaoying take from fox jiu before

i thought it would play a role later in the story

but it seriously didnt

just becoming a simple tool for fengjiu's reminiscing 

@chubby^green^

Yeah her slapstick reactions in novel wont work well on tv, but I believe in Reba's cuteness, just look at this ! I keep replaying it the first time I see it :wub:

https://i.imgur.com/lPv6LwX.gifv

Rather than Si ming, I prefer her with Xiao yan, they'll make a cute couple and I dont think Ji heng deserve Xiao yan :sweatingbullets:

I also hope they keep the hair pin scene but based on photos and leaked videos so far she's not wearing it (Dong hua change it to pink right?)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chubby^green^ said:

i wanted to talk about this before but as i was getting excited about my chronological finding talent i have totally forgotten about it

i realised that in book one, feng jiu have a lil too much gag reaction, almost too slapstick for me

or maybe because how i interpret the story

but when i read she falls hard on the floor

dropped to the floor plays dead

fell straight to the door

fell over and slammed her face and so on

i felt like it is a lil forced

the action of the reaction i mean

i wonder how will dilraba will do these gags if it were to be used in the drama without making it seems a lil too much

i wouldnt mind if those were not used at all actually

hahaha

okay back to main point i want to talk about

first

the xiao yan and donghua battle at mount fuyu

the reason why donghua brought fengjiu alone

was it to fulfill her request that she made while she was drunk some times before

since she was teeny tiny (well she is at that moment since she is a handkerchief) and asked to be brought along with him to the fight

he rather willingly obliges

i would want to think that way even though it was not mentioned in the book

hahaha

and also

when she was attacked by the one wing snow lion shaoying

after i read book 2 and about the heartache she felt because no one was there to save her each time she was in peril

i read that bit of her melancholy and find it even more heartbreaking

i totally understand her saying of noone was there to help her

even though in the end she was saved

it was always at the very last end where she has suffered too much and too hard

it was never in the nick of time

during that time, donghua was supposed to come even before shaoying struck her the first time and that didn't happen

it was forgivable still if he comes when the lon struck her the second time and that didn't happen too

instead she was beaten almost to her death and it was her own effort that she manages to find a way to be found by siming

it seems that during that time her fate was far stronger with siming than the non existent one she has with donghua - i wonder what would happen if destiny wasn't rewritten for them

will siming had a chance instead?

hahaha

by reading book 1 and then book 2 and taken into consideration book 2 while rereading book 1 and then book 2 again

i have better and more profound emotional attachment to the story

everything seems to clicked even more and affected you even more

:)

since we are only in january of 2019, still a very long way to go

can we have another trailer like please? 

hahaha

btw

i remember the things that was left by fengjiu by accident and maybe fate at taichen palace and was collected by donghua

i was in awe that he kept everything with him all the time

its not like he knows she would be there at that time to inquire and collect them all

so he must have them with him all the time

unless he is a picker and hoarder hahaha

anyway i know about the 

the citrine bracelet and also the white hair pin

what about the white jade one? is that one of her own as well?

and also we still didnt know what happens to the white jade trinket that shaoying take from fox jiu before

i thought it would play a role later in the story

but it seriously didnt

just becoming a simple tool for fengjiu's reminiscing 

play dead..fell straight through the door...fell over and crashed on the ground..

I was looking forward for the hilarious/ awkward( all of per-stated lists) parts.. Reba is very sweet and adorable..so I think she can play that part very well bc I watched her in Sweet Dream and Pretty Li Huizhen..

I definitely don't want to think about FJ's fate/destiny with any other Man..it's make my skin crawl or nauseous to think of DongFeng with another..

I like Siming play the part of being one of FJ's saviour..but as FJ's love interest..just NO...i mean DongHua and Siming totally the opposite character eventhough both was considered Two Walking Encylopedia ..while Donghua Dijun is Walking Buddhist Manual...Siming is Walking Baqua Manual aka Gossip mongers..lol 

for me Siming was like a brother to FJ..nursing her when she was injured and console her when she's sad . Siming really know the boundaries when he is with FJ always call her "Your Highness".

White Jade hairpin

It's Donghua gift to FJ. This fact was mentioned somewhere in the book.

I am still pondering over the exact meaning of these phrases in the book such as :

1)Spent half a day pondering 

2)Scratched her head for half a day

3)In half a teacup's time

And so many others such a intriguing words....lol

PS : I wondering if Mo Yan and Zhe Yan have a gold pigment in their blood just like Donghua's..a golden red?.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sisca_TVXQ said:

@chubby^green^

Yeah her slapstick reactions in novel wont work well on tv, but I believe in Reba's cuteness, just look at this ! I keep replaying it the first time I see it :wub:

Rather than Si ming, I prefer her with Xiao yan, they'll make a cute couple and I dont think Ji heng deserve Xiao yan :sweatingbullets:

I also hope they keep the hair pin scene but based on photos and leaked videos so far she's not wearing it (Dong hua change it to pink right?)

The one that Donghua change to pink was FJ White Flower hairpin ( symbolize to her mourning attire along with her white dress)

Donghua representing three things to FJ. it's was citrine bracelet Yi Qingti's gift..white flower hairpin(white color which later DH secretly change it's color to pink bc he dont like the idea of FJ mourning state)and also White Jade hairpin. It's DH's gift. Remember FJ seem to confused when DH give her three items because one of those item( white jade hairpin) wasn't belong to her.

Ps: I could be wrong tho..lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

The one that Donghua change to pink was FJ White Flower hairpin ( symbolize to her mourning attire along with her white dress)

Donghua representing three things to FJ. it's was citrine bracelet Yi Qingti's gift..white flower hairpin(white color which later DH secretly change it's color to pink bc he dont like the idea of FJ mourning state)and also White Jade hairpin. It's DH's gift. Remember FJ seem to confused when DH give her three items because one of those item( white jade hairpin) wasn't belong to her.

Ps: I could be wrong tho..lol.

Ah I was wondering about that too, why is Feng jiu confused at that moment...so Dong hua really give her that hairpin? But after that it was never mentioned again...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sisca_TVXQ said:

@chubby^green^

ah that scene, she is just too cute

i also like the scene of her hugging donghua claiming that she really likes him when she was drunk from the fermented fruit (she was eating plums i think)

the way she hugs him while still chewing the fruit and looking up to him is just too damn cute

hahaha

also the one where she hides the fruits from donghua hahaha

i also believe in dilraba and think that she can do it without it being too forced hahaha

7 hours ago, Sisca_TVXQ said:

xiao yan belongs to bai gungun muahaha

5 hours ago, jimmylyne said:

I definitely don't want to think about FJ's fate/destiny with any other Man..it's make my skin crawl or nauseous to think of DongFeng with another..

I like Siming play the part of being one of FJ's saviour..but as FJ's love interest..just NO..

as i said before i don't see any romantics between siming and fengjiu, just a simple brotherly love and admiration only, he cares for her but it was an innocent love and care in my opinion, just like how zhe yan is quite protective over bai's family, but then again they are like family to him, after all according to fengjiu, he is her young uncle in law :P

i even was surprised when there was hinted in both book and drama of him being romantically interested in her, seriously that one just flew over me just like that

just that i am looking at the perspective of fate and destiny, and pondering over fengjiu's thoughts when she was saying how jiheng has more fate with donghua compared to her, and in the beginning it does seem like that

i started realise that if that is the case, then siming has more fate with her than donghua as well in the beginning as well

so i was just contemplating on that thought, and the whole what if, just popped up

and then i am in awed with fengjiu's determination and perseverance, how she and only she manages to moves the stone of destiny to change something that was already written on the wall (she was the one who did everything after all)

and i am totally amazed at that as well

hahaha

that's what i was saying, and then i realised

the citrine bracelet and the white flower hairpin was definitely fengjiu's

but i think that the white jade hairpin one was something he dig up on his sleeve just because fengjiu refused to admit that she is fully awake and definitely not sleepwalking (she was stubbornly insisting that she is sleepwalking and got lost in her way)

i believe if she was still adamant, he would brought up more things from his sleeve, one after another 

because as usual donghua needs to have the final say and he seems to be having too much fun at her expenses

hahaha

i really hope they don't throw out this scene but it is really funny and cute

1)Spent half a day pondering 

2)Scratched her head for half a day

3)In half a teacup's time

hahaha i was like that too at first

half a day, cant be, how can she hold the teacup and pout it for half a day just like that?

hahaha

then i thought ah, maybe because a second in heaven is almost few hours in mortal realm?

then again i just assume that when half a day was used, it is to give  a sense that a gap of time happened, an obvious gap of time that would usually be in silence and a lil awkwardness 

:sweatingbullets:

still quite confusing though

at least when they use half of incense stick burn time, i would totally understand as compared to in half a teacup's time hahaha

• LOL 2

Hi! I'm a long time lurker here largely bc I never know quite what to say. This time I think I can clear up a little bit of confusion, so I decided to post:sweatingbullets:

So for the half a day thing, that's a Chinese idiom, so while the words literally translate to "half a day" it idiomatically means "quite a while" so when something like that shows up, just think of it as "Fengjiu poured tea for longer than you are supposed to pour tea, or indeed quite a while."

I think the translators tend to leave it in bc they are more used to Chinese most of the time, and don't know that this idiom seems very strange for most English speakers.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

^

i think its interesting that the translator leave the idiom as it is since it is unique and something related to chinese culture

its not like we dont have that phrases in english or in our own native language, but seeing how other language describe the 'quite a while' phrase in their own way is kinda interesting

hahaha

anyway i think i saw this before but forgot all about it

kinda fun to post this again

our immortals keeping up with the technology hahaha

45553758_1981967978555817_8052426333461143198_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fszb1-1.fna.fbcdn.net

44836732_288644805118279_3082916973194580799_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fszb1-1.fna.fbcdn.net

i saw others too but i dont want to post too much pics

got this at https://www.facebook.com/thepillowbooklovers

hahaha

• LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

one more thing that i find quite interesting is that how they use the chinese animal zodiacs into time

i even searched for it and i find something more interesting

the fact that there are only 12 animal zodiacs and so the time was divided according to the animals' time of active and each animal got two hours allocation time (correct me if i'm wrong)

i find that interesting

anyway talking about phrases and idiom

aside the use of half a day to signifies time

i also find ramming their head into tofu to kill themselves interesting

is it to hide their face, or what is the meaning of that exactly?

hahaha

6 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

As much as I sort of liked them as a side storyline, I do hope that FJ has matured somewhat. It's always a bit hard to stomach seeing the girl chasing after the guy so desperately throwing all reason aside. 

ah... if you read the book aka pillow book you will see that it is not feng jiu who is chasing donghua

but it's the other way around

in the book her time as a taichen palace maid and also her being a fox pet to donghua was mentioned briefly and only as a reminiscences

for most of the time the book is  talking about how fengjiu has given up on donghua and tries her best to evade him

just that stone of destiny has changed and now because of fate between fengjiu and donghua existed

they keep being attracted to one another

and also main point, it is donghua who did most of the chasing

i recommend you to read the book and not based on just the drama

pillow book drama will follow closely the book instead of the dongfeng you know from 10 miles peach blossom

which is almost like different people all together, just that they have same name and in this case same face

hahaha

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chubby^green^ said:

ok aka pillow book you will see that it is not feng jiu who is chasing donghua

but it's the other way around

in the book her time as a taichen palace maid and also her being a fox pet to donghua was mentioned briefly and only as a reminiscences

for most of the time the book is  talking about how fengjiu has given up on donghua and tries her best to evade him

just that stone of destiny has changed and now because of fate between fengjiu and donghua existed

they keep being attracted to one another

and also main point, it is donghua who did most of the chasing

i recommend you to read the book and not based on just the drama

pillow book drama will follow closely the book instead of the dongfeng you know from 10 miles peach blossom

which is almost like different people all together, just that they have same name and in this case same face

hahaha

YEAH RIGHT. In the TMPOB i liked Feng Jiu's cuteness but when she's doing a hardcore going after Dong Hua it was annoying af. TMPOB Dong Hua arc is nothing like  The Pillow Book and i think this Pillow Book drama will go after Feng Jiu and Dong Hua book arc. As you can see Reba's released stills, she looks mature than FJ in the TMPOB..... 

One thing i like to see in the drama is that they should show more of Dong Hua chasing after FJ and show his shamelessness. That would be sweet and hilarious. :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

"..ramming my head into tofu and kill myeslf"  

Ah Li and Meng Shao use the same sentence...

@chubby^green^ we exactly have the same thought..wondering what was the exact meaning.

@hara128 Hello!! Welcome on board!! Any thought? and thks for your explanation about thoses phrases..much appreciated.

@Maria Brimstone i take that you clearly didn't read the book..just like @chubby^green^ suggested..read the book first and then maybe kindly share your thoughts.

@Kimberly Amor me too..can't wait to see how shamelessly DH gonna be ..using every tricks or methods in order to pursue his beloved FJ.

51 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

@hara128 Hello!! Welcome on board!! Any thought? and thks for your explanation about thoses phrases..much appreciated.

HI!! (I've been lurking here for a while now, but I never have too too much to say with all the speculation.:sweatingbullets:)

I just have a little bit of chinese knowledge, so I noticed when a question came up regarding the phrase and thought "OH! A THING I CAN SAY!"

For the death by Tofu idiom...it's not a very common one, which is why the translator must have left it in, but what it basically boils down to, as far as I can understand it, is that a piece of tofu is really really soft, so basically, you must have already suffered such trauma beforehand that ramming your head into a piece of tofu would then kill you. 

:D:D It's a little bit like the straw that broke the camel's back. The piece of tofu is the last little bit of trauma that would kill you if you hit it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

@hara128

Welcome on board ! And thanks for explaining that for us :thumbsup:

@Kimberly Amor

Yup, I dont mind if they added more scenes of Donghua's shamelesness LOL. Just pray that they dont add more scenes for Ji heng like they did for Su jin <_<

5 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

As much as I sort of liked them as a side storyline, I do hope that FJ has matured somewhat. It's always a bit hard to stomach seeing the girl chasing after the guy so desperately throwing all reason aside. 

Hi, like everyone has said, Feng jiu from novel is not like Feng jiu from drama at all, she's more mature and have more dignity and understand her role as a Queen. Its Dong hua who shamelessly chased her :sweatingbullets: I hope you can give this drama a chance because it will follow the novel closely, the story is amazing :thumbsup:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kimberly Amor said:

TMPOB Dong Hua arc is nothing like  The Pillow Book

ah that reminds me, the fact that donghua in 10 miles easily succumb to his fate is just so unnatural for me

he is the master of the universe

the ruler of heaven and earth

if anything he would be the one defying what is already written for him

hence why i adore pillow book donghua even more

just like what he said, 

“So what if Destiny says we're fated, and so what if it says we're not?” Donghua coldly replied.

“I've never feared Destiny, and I certainly don't need its charity.”

it is just so manly to hear that, how to say it, very kakkoi hahaha

11 hours ago, hara128 said:

It's a little bit like the straw that broke the camel's back. The piece of tofu is the last little bit of trauma that would kill you if you hit it. 

ah... thanks again for the explanation, now i totally understand, the meaning is quite deep i think... i thought the meaning would be light and simple since it just involves tofu, but now i see it in different perspectives

hahaha

thanks again

12 hours ago, jimmylyne said:

Ah Li and Meng Shao use the same sentence...

even su moye use that expression as well, when he reminiscences of aranya's action to save chen ye and junou along the way from execution

it was a very interesting expression

hahaha

btw two days back our dilraba win something from weibo award 

i'm not sure what did she win hot character of the year (what is that?) hahaha

was hoping she would be there with vengo

but she is not

i am guessing the promotion for pillow book is not on just yet

hmm...

anyway congratulation dilraba, first of many awards for 2019 i hope

hopefully later we can have her and vengo at the same place at the same time

^__^

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sisca_TVXQ said:

Yeah really hope vengo could get some awards from pillow book, its really his chance to shine.

Vengo's Short Interview about Pillow Book

I'm gonna put this out there...Vengo got a little chunky.. :P

@Kimberly Amor, @jimmylyne, @Sisca_TVXQ Most of us here are waiting to see DH's shamelessness :D.  I guess being a  thick-skinned deity really helps him in winning FJ in the end. 

@chubby^green^ Vengo was in Milan for Milan Fashion Week. They probably will start to promote the pillow book after they released the trailer. Soon I hope. 

• Like 3

@linh5000

I prefer him like this, compared to TMOPB I think he already lost a lot of weight. Looking at the BTS released before I think his outfit is a bit loose...

Oefwcwm.jpg

Btw, I'm curious about something. Ah li real form is White dragon because Ye hua is Black dragon and Ba Qian is White nine tailed fox right ? So what is Bai Gun Gun's real form ? Is it Red rock ?  :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2