[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

On 2/28/2021 at 4:35 PM, Pesca said:

The war with Merclan could have been easily handled by LS, who is the water god controlling 4 seas. LS, from what I read, is very good fighter as well.

He is, but Tianjun doesn't really know that.  Third Prince, as per DH, his half father who half raised him, is the most brilliant among current Tianjun's sons.

Present Tianjun doted more on Sang Ji because of the visual spectacle when that son was born. The same focus was on Ye Hua. His 3rd son's birth was under the sea, and stopped the floods raging that time. IMO, this birth is exceptional as disaster ceased, and an indication that the deity born that time is very promising. 

In Lotus Steps, you'll read how good a fighter Lian Song is when he went to Netherworld. :) He isn't the main water God for nothing. 

Still LOL at Ep3 of ELOD, when DH in all sarcasm told LS that if Tianjun paid him as much attention as DH did, LS won't be as smart as he is; ergo, if Hao De "brought up" LS instead of DH babysitting the 3rd Prince, he won't turn out as brilliant and witty. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MayanEcho

• Ninky

• jimmylyne

• Megan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fresh out of the oven! ELOD translation team presents author Tang Qi's 7th epilogue for The Pillow Book. We hope you get the joke because it is hilariously funny to the bones!!!    Source : @

Ok - for those wondering what Vengo said during his interview (I only translated up to this point. The rest was his message for his love rivals, which I won't go into, his appreciation to viewers for

The ELOD translation team have finally completed the English translation of Tang Qi's latest Pillow Book Epilogue. We hope you will enjoy the read! Shameless DH in action yet again!   S

20 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

We should know more about the ancient wars that DH at the helm fought in the next chapters of PB extra.

Though details are scarce in TMOPB or ELOD on Zhe Yan's participation during the ancient wars, we can assume that he as one of the ancient legends had a significant role in bringing forth peace.

The six universes are sometimes replaced with sphere, realms, or directions from the translations. Further readings though would point the six universes to Eastern Realm, Northern Realm, Southern Realm, Western Realm, Upper Realm(sometimes Heavenly realm), and Lower Realm(where the mortals live). 

not really. The six universes are standalone places. Because the 8 realms are the ones u quoted.

Six universes are other places entirely and the mortal realm are entirely separate from the six universes.

Its clear in chapter one of the outtake that the mortal realm was created out of that lotus which spawned 3000 great worlds and frOm that 10 billion mortal realms.

They look like they had a good time filming the drama, and have friendly camaraderie during breaks.

17 hours ago, Pesca said:

This is not what I understand from what Ninky has explained. Mo Yuan time of being King of Gods was not that peaceful. He  established the new era but did not unit everyone (he left Demon clan out and some gods wanted to be king themselves). It was DH who has united them all in the later wars when MY disappeared. 

Mo Yuan appointed DH to be Di Jun in the investiture ceremony and then disappeared. DH was forced to unite them all because of MY disappearing and later became Master of Universe (or Heaven and Earth).  

exactly what i meant.

Based on may be drama, DH did not hand the Tianjun position to LS's dad. There was previous Tainjun before LS's dad? 

yes as per @MayanEchothis is correct. 

@Ninky or  @MayanEcho could you elaborate / confirm the above? 

May be these will become clearer in Chapter2

it will become very clear once you read all 8 chapters fully translated.

By the way, from Chapter 1, Father God faded before Mo Yuan finished 700 years war (and became King of Gods). So he did not live to see DH's achievement in the later wars (where DH has actually unit them). 

right on, you passed reading comprehension for chapter one!

The PB extra was the beginning of DH 's unification period. It was High God Zheyan who asked DH to return to help them (heavenly clan).

Yes that is correct and exactly what tang qi is trying to tell us. Let’s be honest, Dong Hua is a recluse, unless he has to, he’d rather stay carefree.

Unfortunately Mo yuan decided to throw it all away and push all the work to his ex classmate Dong Hua. That’s why Tanq Qi said in the end of one of the chapters that Feng Jiu will come to realise that regardless of which time era Di Jun is in, he will always be the same Di Jun as present anyway.

He has never changed. He is himself and always true to form.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Ninky said:

not really. The six universes are standalone places. Because the 8 realms are the ones u quoted.

Six universes are other places entirely and the mortal realm are entirely separate from the six universes.

Its clear in chapter one of the outtake that the mortal realm was created out of that lotus which spawned 3000 great worlds and frOm that 10 billion mortal realms.

I'm getting more and more confused. :lol:

Thank you for all your wok on the elod webpage. :)

For those who have read LS with google translate...will we hear about Mo yuan's mother at all? 

• Wiggle 1
15 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

I'm getting more and more confused. :lol:

Thank you for all your wok on the elod webpage. :)

For those who have read LS with google translate...will we hear about Mo yuan's mother at all? 

For the six universe thing, its easier to understand if you know the language. It is very open to mistranslation.

id be careful reading with google translate a lot of things are off hahahaha but you can still get the gist.

And Mo Yuan’s mother is Mother God. And they are family of dragons. That’s their natural form. This info is in one of Tang Qi’s articles we translated. While reading Lotus Step in chinese, not much about Mother God still. But we are translating the whole thing as well so we will get through all the chapters in detail eventually.

And even hamster’s translation has many parts that were paraphrased by her and some parts included her own personal

interpretation of the passages and kind of distorted Tang Qi’s prose so there are a few mistakes as well, which I have pointed out on and off previously. 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1
12 minutes ago, Ninky said:

For the six universe thing, its easier to understand if you know the language. It is very open to mistranslation.

id be careful reading with google translate a lot of things are off hahahaha but you can still get the gist.

:grin: 

In Toland's and Hamster's the six universes are either realms or directions. In the ELOD, the subbed text is worlds. 

It does get confusing, but TBH, it's sort of fun too, as one would then pay more attention reading or watching. 

Google translate is getting better, but I agree with it still being off at times that the output text is like a joke.

• Wiggle 1
7 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

:grin: 

In Toland's and Hamster's the six universes are either realms or directions. In the ELOD, the subbed text is worlds. 

It does get confusing, but TBH, it's sort of fun too, as one would then pay more attention reading or watching. 

Google translate is getting better, but I agree with it still being off at times that the output text is like a joke.

Elod sub text is in fact correct. Context is impt when translating a novel

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Elod sub text is in fact correct. Context is impt when translating a novel

I prefer too the referral of the ten evil lotus land as "land" in the WeTV sub text of ELOD. That was the right translation, wasn't it? Hamster's was wicked lotus sphere.

The interchanging of realms, spheres, and directions can be bemusing while reading along, but it's a good mind exercise too IMO. ^_^

3 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

In Lotus Steps, you'll read how good a fighter Lian Song is when he went to Netherworld. :) He isn't the main water God for nothing. 

He's also very talented in goading Dong Hua! 

Against Fate (Eternal Love of Dream/Pillow Book FanFic) - 76. Heavenly  Cookies - Wattpad

Still LOL at Ep3 of ELOD, when DH in all sarcasm told LS that if Tianjun paid him as much attention as DH did, LS won't be as smart as he is.

Probably true :lol: 

• LOL 3
2 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

He's also very talented in goading Dong Hua! 

LMAO that he passed it near enough DH's nose to smell the aroma of the pastries!

4 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Probably true :lol: 

I also agree. Instead of a somewhat funny and loose version of DH in Lian Song, we would have had a funny but boring version of Yan Cuo (Ye Hua's celestial father). :P

• LOL 1

I also agree. Instead of a somewhat funny and loose version of DH in Lian Song, we would have had a funny but boring version of Yan Cuo (Ye Hua's celestial father). :P

Not sure about the humor part ... Yang Cuo is a humorless, rules reciting parrot. (Sorry, I cannot stand him) I think any innate sense of humor would most likely have been smothered. 

On a different note: I don't think his older brothers could withstand DH's sharp tongue. LS is imo much tougher and is as DH would say "teachable." He truly is the most talented and smartest of the bunch.

35 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

LMAO that he passed it near enough DH's nose to smell the aroma of the pastries!

His Name is Yang Cuo. Missing a g but changes the entire meaning of his name :D

9 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Not sure about the humor part ... Yan Cuo is a humorless, rules reciting parrot. (Sorry, I cannot stand him) I think any innate sense of humor would most likely have been smothered. 

On a different note: I don't think his older brothers could withstand DH's sharp tongue. LS is imo much tougher and is as DH would say "teachable." He truly is the most talented and smartest of the bunch.

Actually there is mention in Pillow Book that few can withstand Dong Hua's Dark Humour and Poisonous tongue. It's the other reason why people avoid him. It's not just because of his status but because a lot of people get "burnt" by his tongue. And they can't stand it. :isannoyed:

• LOL 1
  • Blob 1
13 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

On a different note: I don't think his older brothers could withstand DH sharp tongue. LS is imo much tougher and is as DH would say "teachable." He truly is the most talented and smartest of the bunch... 

Agree, they won't be as thick-skinned as Lian Song, neither will they be comfortable in the company of DH, much less talk or play the game of go with him. And no way will they be able to ask him to forge for them some birthday presents for their sweethearts. :D

It is so amusing that in the drama, DH "claimed" that he raised Lian Song rather than Tianjun, hahahaha!

5 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I'm curious. What's the new meaning without the g? :D

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

I prefer too the referral of the ten evil lotus land as "land" in the WeTV sub text of ELOD. That was the right translation, wasn't it? Hamster's was wicked lotus sphere.

The interchanging of realms, spheres, and directions can be bemusing while reading along, but it's a good mind exercise too IMO. ^_^

Thing is though, it's not a wicked lotus sphere. If you really translate word for word it means 10 Evil Lotus Realm. It is a Realm/world created by the jade that Yan Chi Wu stole. So sphere is not the correct translation especially in the context of the story.

The world of the Four Seas and Eight Realms is not just that. It's just that worlds can always be created within this same world. This is a story about immortals. I felt that there isn't enough of the immortal feel in Hamster's translation because of the choice of some words in some scenes. She made Feng Jiu feel weaker in her translation. While in the Chinese version, Feng Jiu has a stronger personality and character. And it is very clear from page one that she is no wall flower. 

12 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Agree, they won't be as thick-skinned as Lian Song, neither will they be comfortable in the company of DH, much less talk or play the game of go with him. And no way will they be able to ask him to forge for them some birthday presents for their sweethearts. :D

It is so amusing that in the drama, DH "claimed" that he raised Lian Song rather than Tianjun, hahahaha!

I'm curious. What's the new meaning without the g? :D

It could be many meanings. Yan Chi Wu for example the surname means 燕 Swallow. It could also mean drowned. It could mean beautiful/colorful 艳. It could also mean hot 炎。The same pronounciation or rather Pin Yin may be repeated with different words.

23 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Not sure about the humor part ... Yan Cuo is a humorless, rules reciting parrot. (Sorry, I cannot stand him) I think any innate sense of humor would most likely have been smothered. 

Bold Words - ROFL

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
7 minutes ago, Ninky said:

It could be many meanings. Yan Chi Wu for example the surname means 燕 Swallow. It could also mean drowned. It could mean beautiful/colorful 艳. It could also mean hot 炎。The same pronounciation may be repeated with different words. 

Beautiful and colourful suits "beautiful sister" Yan Chi Wu. :rolleyes:

• LOL 1
10 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Beautiful and colourful suits "beautiful sister" Yan Chi Wu. :rolleyes:

No his name is not Beautiful and colourful. His surname is Yan. And to explain further. His name does not really mean “Swallow” as that is pronounced as yan in the 4th sound but if its a family name, it is the same as the yan in the yan dynasty and its pronounced in the first sound (every word has 4 sounds in mandarin).

His name is 池悟。 池means Pond, 悟 means gaining comprehension/understanding

But the other words i have used  is also spelt as Yan in pin yin. That’s what I meant. 

3 minutes ago, Ninky said:

No his name is not Beautiful and colourful. His surname is Yan. But the other word is also Yan in pin yin. Is what I meant.

The "Yan" that meant beautiful/colourful suits him, on how he was described in the book...even as Yan as surname it seems that it an induction that he is from a family with good looks.

Xu Yang and Ji Heng didn't share or have surnames, neither did the children of Tianjun, do they?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Thanks for pointing that out!

I wonder how Toland would translate the name Yan Chi Wu :hwaiting2:

2 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

The "Yan" that meant beautiful/colourful suits him, on how he was described in the book...even as Yan as surname it seems that it an induction that he is from a family with good looks.

Xu Yang and Ji Heng didn't share or have surnames, neither did the children of Tianjun, do they?

What I am trying to say is his Yan does not mean Beautiful Colourful. Beautiful and colorful is this word yan 艳。His is a family name 燕。that has no direct meaning if used as a surname. Its other meaning is Swallow.

13 minutes ago, Ninky said:

His name does not really mean “Swallow” as that is pronounced as yan in the 4th sound but if its a family name, it is the same as the yan in the yan dynasty and its pronounced in the first sound (every word has 4 sounds in mandarin).

His name is 池悟。 池means Pond, 悟 means gaining comprehension/understanding

But the other words i have used  is also spelt as Yan in pin yin. That’s what I meant. 

The Chinese have beautiful names with meaning :wub: Thanks for the explanation @Ninky

1 minute ago, Ninky said:

What I am trying to say is his Yan does not means Beautiful Colourful. It is a family name that has no direct meaning. Beautiful and Colorful is the other word I used in that isn't his name. 

Got it :)

• Wiggle 1