[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

This is the text concerning what we were just discussing here about DH's studying habits: 

ExwI7IU.jpg

… was mostly because he didn’t often come to school. Whenever Lord Donghua occasionally decided to grace the school with his presence, he just napped right in front of the Fuzi. In the same way, although Lady [this is actually 君, which is usually translated to ‘lord,’ but Shaowan is female, so obviously it doesn’t work] Shaowan was often a troublemaking school bully, this school bully never missed class. 

Donghua and Shaowan were childhood friends. Zheyan remembered that Donghua who rarely attended classes at that time always borrowed Shaowan’s notes to get through exams. But how would the school bully take such careful notes? For this reason, for the first few years of school, Donghua was the same as Shaowan. As long as he relied on notes to succeed in literature class, math class, or history class, he failed them all. His not being left back a year was entirely reliant on his high grades in weapons class, martial arts class, and magic class. It was clear that the two really were good fighters. 

Later, the school’s newspaper reported that the conflict between the two cliques in the school kept on escalating, greatly worrying the Fuzi who liked to read the school’s newspaper when he was idle. Even though Moyuan had always been known as a gentleman, the newspaper had completely brainwashed their Fuzi, who, at that time, no matter how he looked at him and Shaowan, worried that they would begin fighting at one wrong word. Terrified, their Fuzi considered it, and thinking he was smart, he moved Shaowan and Donghua who were originally sitting at the same table apart, and assigned Xie Ming as Shaowan’s new tablemate, and assigned Donghua, who had originally never really spoken to Moyuan, as his new tablemate. 

Zheyan recalled, it seemed that it was purely because they sat close to each other that Donghua copied Moyuan’s notes twice. Unexpectedly, he actually tied with Moyuan for first place on that month’s exam. 

Although no one explicitly said so, most felt that this should be to the credit of Moyuan’s notes. For a time, Moyuan’s notes were a rare commodity worth hoarding in the school. But the next month, Moyuan was sick and didn’t come to class. Nobody could borrow notes. Donghua couldn’t borrow notes either. Without Moyuan’s notes, everyone still had their own notes, and could at least manage to prepare for exam, but Donghua was someone who didn’t have his own notes. He could only find someone to copy notes off of. Coincidentally, Shaowan who had lent him notes in the past was also sick and didn’t come to class, so Donghua copied Bai Zhi’s. As a result, he again placed first in that month’s exams. 

Everyone then realized, and of course Donghua also realized, as long as he didn’t copy Shaowan’s notes, he could usually always take first place. 

Zheyan remembered that after that, Donghua usually only copied notes off of three people: Moyuan, Bai Zhi, and Xie Ming’s. Because they sat close to each other, he copied off of Moyuan especially often. But aside from copying notes, it seemed that Donghua’s relationship with them was indeed only average. Aside from speaking a few words to them when borrowing and returning their notes, he didn’t usually seem to have much to say.

Later on in the War of Five Clans, why Donghua chose to fight alongside Moyuan, Zheyan wasn’t really privy to the inside story. How the two got along on the battlefield, he didn’t really understand either. They were cordial, after all they each had to trust the other to back them when facing powerful enemies. But it didn’t seem that they could really be called “close” because… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 2

1 hour ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Whenever Lord Donghua occasionally decided to grace the school with his presence, he just napped right in front of the Fuzi. In the same way, although Lady [this is actually 君, which is usually translated to ‘lord,’ but Shaowan is female, so obviously it doesn’t work] Shaowan was often a troublemaking school bully, this school bully never missed class. 

Best students! :lol:

His not being left back a year was entirely reliant his high grades in weapons class, martial arts class, and magic class. It was clear that the two really were good fighters. 

The besties are passing their classes because they excel in practical skills. Can it be that they're very good fighters coz they "practice" with each other? :sweat_smile:

Everyone then realized, and of course Donghua also realized, as long as he didn’t copy Shaowan’s notes, he could usually always take first place

Who wants to know what does Shao Wan writes in her notes? Hahaha!

Zheyan remembered that after that, Donghua usually only copied notes off of three people: Moyuan, Bai Zhi, and Xie Ming’s.

Who's surprised with Bai Zhi being studious and writing good notes? :joy:

Later on in the War of Five Clans, why Donghua chose to fight alongside Moyuan, Zheyan wasn’t really privy to the inside story. How the two got along on the battlefield, he didn’t really understand either. They were cordial, after all they each had to trust the other to back them when facing powerful enemies. But it didn’t seem that they could really be called “close” because… 

...The story gets even better. Thanks Zhe Yan for the storytelling! :tounge_wink: 

Thanks for the translation @UnluckyWhiteCat

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I wonder why Bai Gungun calls his mother Jiujiu. Is that normal way of addressing mother? I heard the word 'yangshi ?' is used than calling name.  Poor FJ (and BGG), DJ is being cold to her. 

Anyone knows whether the 200 days wedding reception actually happened in the Pillow Book extra? FJ deserves to have such a wedding. 

Where is God Zuti at the school? I think she is the youngest among these ancient gods? I have only read LS chapter 1 which was translated on the ELOD website. 

God Zheyan is adorable. :) Can't wait to read more. Thank you again for translating bits and bobs of PB extra.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

His not being left back a year was entirely reliant his high grades in weapons class, martial arts class, and magic class. It was clear that the two really were good fighters. 

The besties are passing their classes because they excel in practical skills. Can it be that they're very good fighters coz they "practice" with each other? :sweat_smile:

Arghhh and I just realized that I missed a word. -sighs- If it happens in the future or has happened before in my translation, I apologize, I haven't really been proofreading them properly for errors :sweatingbullets:.

That would certainly be my thought! They do seem to be very talented, I think that they would do well in the more intellectual classes if they (and by they I mean Shaowan, we already know DH can) applied themselves a little more. 

...The story gets even better. Thanks Zhe Yan for the storytelling! :tounge_wink: 

Right?? I'm so sad we don't get to see the rest. T.T

Also, for anyone who can understand spoken Mandarin, I found a link to an audiobook of 梦回洪荒远古时 (the book all these pages come from): http://ximalaya.com/youshengshu/46431157/ 

I don't think it's complete yet, but hopefully they'll keep updating it. 

12 minutes ago, Pesca said:

I wonder why Bai Gungun calls his mother Jiujiu. Is that normal way of addressing mother? I heard the word 'yangshi ?' is used than calling name.  Poor FJ (and BGG), DJ is being cold to her. 

The "Jiu" comes from 九, which is part of FJ's name. He's basically addressing her by a nickname, so not a normal mode of address. I'm not sure what yangshi is, I'd have to see the characters to be able to tell, sorry. :/

Don't worry, that coldness won't last forever! I have a (part of a) page coming up that you might enjoy...

12 minutes ago, Pesca said:

Where is God Zuti at the school? I think she is the youngest among these ancient gods? I have only read LS chapter 1 which was translated on the ELOD website. 

She hasn't been mentioned in any of the pages I've seen so far for this book, but she is definitely somewhere in Lotus Steps. Perhaps we will have more information on her in the second part of Lotus Steps too!

• Thanks 4

Is there something else new and unknown about Dong Hua in Pillow Book Extra?

Spoiler

He names what is his.

Fushen had given Dong Hua's project lesser marks and the second place because it was not named. 

What is that project that he actually acquired a new habit???

Battle formation plan.

Ooo.. I wonder if we will get to see the famous courting of Bai Qian's mom by Zhe Lan, and the fight between him and Bai Zhi and then them becoming friends?   

Who is Fuzi, their teacher?  

Also who is writing the newspaper? 

How did Mo Yuan get the title God of War when he seems to avoid fighting? 

Thank you for translating these pieces! 

I think the "yang shi" being referenced are these 2 characters. 

娘亲
Niáng qīn

**I used TMPB episode 30 to find them

• Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

34 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Is there something else new and unknown about Dong Hua in Pillow Book Extra?

Hide contents

He names what is his.

Fushen had given Dong Hua's project lesser marks and the second place because it was not named. 

Spoiler

Ahem, his names are pretty terrible! "Little fox."

16 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Who is Fuzi, their teacher? 

Yep, Fuzi is a term for teacher.

16 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Also who is writing the newspaper? 

The page I saw didn't say.

17 minutes ago, Romulan said:

I think the "yang shi" being referenced are these 2 characters. 

娘亲
Niáng qīn

Okay, yes, this is another word for mother. This one in particular is a more archaic term, so as far as I know, it's not really used much nowadays, but you'll see it in historical dramas for sure. 媽媽 (ma1 ma1) is one of the more often used ones now. 

• LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

17 minutes ago, Khue N said:

Just a thought how did DH asked for notes loll? Did he ask nicely or did he demand it? I wonder if there's a time where they refuse to give him notes? Even if he ask, do they get anything in return?

The usual few, succinct words. Hehehe. 

Hmm, about anyone refusing to lend their notes to him, or expecting to get anything from him in return, might it be that this was the time DH perfected his sweet and sour fish? :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

@UnluckyWhiteCatGotta blame Fushen for that acquired habit, hahaha! Must have rankled coz 

Reveal hidden contents

...Fushen had given the name to his battle formation plan. :P

Spoiler

What was the name that Fushen gave to the formation?

@UnluckyWhiteCat , thank you! for those details. Im not sure though which one is more heart rendering when you hear a child call for their mother using either of those forms.  

• Wiggle 2

Spoiler

@Romulan Qianyuan :) Fushen gives better, romantic names. LOL! 

2 hours ago, Romulan said:

How did Mo Yuan get the title God of War when he seems to avoid fighting? 

Mo Yuan being calm and restrained would exactly be the best traits for the God of War. He and DH are equal in fighting skills, but the one who doesn't back down from fights became the Emperor. 

In a way it makes sense, since if their roles are reversed, Mo Yuan may not be as driven as the leader to unify the realms.  Whereas if DH was the God of War, there could be endless chaos among the tribes and kingdoms.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Of the naming and formations: 

aiispIA.jpg

This was seven months later. 

In the Holy Blue Sea, Fei Wei spoke to Fengjiu about Dijun’s past, when he attended school at the Water Marsh. He was speaking of the formations class that Fushen himself taught. 

In a battle between two armies, the formation of the soldiers was extremely important. If the soldier’s formation was done right, the enemy could be restrained, and they could make a surprise move to win. It was said that at that time, the ones who did best in formations class were Moyuan and Donghua. When the two finished the class, they had each created their own masterpiece. Donghua had forgotten to name his masterpiece, and when Fushen saw, he named it Heaven’s Beginning [乾元: name derived from the eight trigrams]. Heaven’s Beginning meant the beginning of Heaven. Fushen’s meaning was that within this formation was held all the principles of the beginning of Heaven. After that, he picked out the most merciless and cruel section, and created a great formation that could tidily wipe out all the formations in the world. It was so terrorizing, it deserved to be called Heaven’s Beginning. But because of its cruelty and destructiveness, on the day the drawing was completed, Fushen sealed it away permanently when he saw it, saying that if this formation got out, it would be catastrophic to the world. 

Nevertheless, Fushen gave this masterpiece a high grade, but not as high a grade as God Moyuan’s formation drawing received. When God Moyuan looked over the two formation drawings, he felt that Donghua’s was actually more clever. He asked Fushen why Donghua had received a lower grade than he had, and Fushen indicated that it was because Donghua forgot to give the formation a name and had lost a very important place to earn points. 

From then on, Dijun indeed never forgot to give his things names again. It was all thanks to Fushen. 

When Fengjiu heard this, she brought up a different perspective. She said that when she was a spirit pet in Taichen Palace, Dijun didn’t give her a name, only calling her ‘little fox.’ Fei Wei responded, “Oh, because in Dizuo’s eyes, ‘little fox’ is the name he gave you, so you did have a name. It’s possible that he even thinks that this name is very cute, and he’s very pleased with it.”

Getting back to the point, Fei Wei expressed that he brought these things up to Fengjiu not just for the sake of idle chatting, but because only by understanding the origins of the Heaven’s Beginning formation could she understand the current situation. If she could understand the current situation, even if she were ordered to stay… 

---

It's no wonder DH was able to rule over the world, if he's able to create a formation like that! 

"Little fox" XD

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

13 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Fushen gives better names! 

:Megalol:

Feng Jiu => "Xiao Bai"

Haha true that Fushen does give better names.  Doesnt Xiao Bai mean Little White?  or Little one of Clan Bai? (ironic since she is a red 9 tail fox.)  Have we seen his nickname for Gun Gun yet? 

Something I wondered in both series i saw FengJiu always called by her full name, little princess or if DJinn was around Little White.  But Bai Qian,  was called 5th sister,  Qian Qian  or A'Yin when people were wanting to use more personal forms. Why didnt they use similar on FengJiu in the series?  either A'Jiu or JiuJiu or 1st granddaughter or 1st niece? (which reminds me what does Qian qian mean?  closest Ive found are notes that says qian means money but seems odd that the Fox clan would call her money?) 

• Like 1

I'm listening to the audiobook (or at least the parts that are up) of the book people have been posting snippets of right now, I'm going to summarize what's happening as I'm listening to it below if anyone wants spoilers: 

Spoiler
  • A whole bunch of stuff concerning the prehistoric era
  • In the book timeline, Zheyan is trying to get DH to return to Heaven (he's been secluding himself in the Holy Blue Sea) because the God Clan has gotten very chaotic after he left and Moyuan went missing
  • This time-travel event happens 10 years after the Miao Luo thing
  • While DH is secluding himself in the very inner part of Taichen Palace, FJ usually takes Gungun back to Qingqiu, but while they're saying goodbye, Gungun sneaks out to go see his friends in Heaven and passes by Yuanji Palace, and winds up traveling back in time but he doesn't realize it, but does notice things that look different in the Holy Blue Sea
  • BGG gets through the entrance to the Holy Blue Sea in a hilarious fashion: there are other people already there who are trying to force their way in (the exact word used is 劈開 so they're like chopping at the door XD ) and he just waltzes on through
  • Only after he is stopped by Fei Wei who he knows is Zhonglin's grandfather, and who died tens of thousands of years before his time, does he realize that he's traveled back in time
  • He thinks that his father will have a way to send him back to his own time (awww, isn't he so cute?)
  • Conversation between BGG and DH ensues (part of which has been translated, and after that he explains to DH how he wound up traveling back and that he's DH's child from the future)
    • By the way, when Zheyan hears that DH has a son (they're having that conversation in the first bullet point), he, about to leave, sits right back down and gets comfortable
    • Continuing conversation: BGG finds out exactly where in the timeline he is, and that he's DH's first and only child (Zheyan previously says that BGG must be the youngest child because DH is already 400,000 years old when he has BGG)
    • DH starts rationalizing that maybe its possible that BGG is actually his son
    • The snippet about FJ being DH's "beautiful young wife"
    • The "was I forced to" conversation, followed by Zheyan saying that no one could possibly force him to do anything and that DH must have been willing
    • BGG tells them that his mother is Bai Zhi's granddaughter
    • Zheyan spits his tea all over BGG
  • Fei Wei takes BGG to change, and Zheyan and DH talk, the snippet about the little fairy boys bringing FJ in in her fox form occur
    • After hearing that, DH who is still holding FJ is just like ... and has no idea what to do LOL
    • The fairy boys ask, "Then... Dijun is going to marry this little red fox? Should we still build it a hut or not?" LMFAO

^That's parts 1-3 of it, there are 6 total right now. 

I hope someone finds this helpful and if you have questions about it (I'm not sure everything here is totally clear), I might be able to answer! I know I'm just squealing over it right now!

---

1 hour ago, Romulan said:

Something I wondered in both series i saw FengJiu always called by her full name, little princess or if DJinn was around Little White.  But Bai Qian,  was called 5th sister,  Qian Qian  or A'Yin when people were wanting to use more personal forms. Why didnt they use similar on FengJiu in the series?  either A'Jiu or JiuJiu or 1st granddaughter or 1st niece? (which reminds me what does Qian qian mean?  closest Ive found are notes that says qian means money but seems odd that the Fox clan would call her money?) 

I can't give you a reason as to why, but some members of her family do have a sort of nickname for her, I recall that her grandmother in particular calls her Jiu'er. 

The qian that you're thinking of is this one: 錢

The qian in Bai Qian's name is this one: 淺

The first one is the one that means money, but the one in Bai Qian's name means 'shallow.' They're pronounced the same and the pinyin is the same, and they do look partially alike, so it's understandable why you got confused, but they're very different characters. A lot of characters are like this in Chinese—they'll have a similar root and be pronounced the same, but they'll mean two very different things. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Romulan said:

Have we seen his nickname for Gun Gun yet? 

GunGun is his nickname.  He is not yet formally named. :) 

4 hours ago, Romulan said:

FJ was the only grandchild that time before Ali, so her family's nicknames to her doesn't have that number prefix. Her full name 白凤九 literally translates to White Phoenix Nine.

Book POV, she didn't like her name much because it wasn't so "lyrical or elegant" like her aunt's. Until she met someone with an even worse name. ^_^ Except for that title Consort Chen, FJ has no nom de guerre and has used her family's nicknames to her or just Feng Jiu.

The name of Bai Qian 白浅 translates to White Light (Also read some translations of shallow instead of light). 浅 also means simple. Her mortal name Su Su 素素 is quite appropriate for Bai Qian, since the character 素 translates to white and simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1

This one is chapter 4 spoilers:

Spoiler
  • FJ wakes up and forgets that she entered the formation to look for BGG and thinks that they all came to the Holy Blue Sea together as a family
  • FJ opens the door to DH’s room (he hasn’t seen her in her human form yet) and he thinks that she’s one of those demon girls who came to climb into his bed, which hasn’t happened for tens of thousands of years
  • The force fields he used to cast weren’t that strong, that’s why the demon girls were able to break through, but the one around the Holy Blue Sea is so strong even Zheyan had to be invited in, so he wonders how did she get through?
  • He realizes who she is, and is curious what she looks like, sees her, and thinks that his vision is 260,000 years really isn’t bad LOL
    • FJ asks him why he isn’t sleeping yet and if he was waiting for her
    • He contemplates how to ask her to go back to her room, but she’s already crawled into his arms and fallen asleep
    • DH doesn’t throw her off the bed and instead notices that she must have drank a lot of his blood and the ring on her finger
    • FJ moves around in her sleep a lot, she wakes up, starts fake crying, DH falls for it and she tells him that she practiced for a long time because she could never trick him before, but he was always tricking her
    • FJ tells DH what an awful person he is for not responding when she fake-cries, to which DH refutes that she shouldn’t be fake-crying and expect that people will respond and even be upset when they don’t
    • He asks her why she said he was an awful person, and she responds that he isn’t *really* awful, it’s just something she said because he didn’t respond
  • FJ eventually remembers what really happened, remembers the conversation with Liansong, that BGG could come back in 449 days, but FJ is worried, so she follows BGG too
  • FJ tries to explain to DH what happened and who she is, not knowing that he already heard the story
  • They go see Gungun together and have breakfast, BGG recalls when he and FJ returned to Heaven and how he’s treating them differently now and worries about it, followed by translated snippet of him talking to FJ worrying about how they’re getting along

• Love 5
  • Thanks 4