[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

10 minutes ago, Megan said:

I would say stubborn rather than dense. They know their crushes do not return their affection but are determined to try anyway. It would have been moving but love potions draw the line.

That they are, in stubbornness they're also acting dense. Reverse the situation that they're pursued by someone they dislike that acts like them...Like XY, sort of? :lol: 

Nothing moving with their "devotion", they're irritants. Until they raised the ire of YH and DH. Potion...poison...

:rainbow:

18 minutes ago, Megan said:

It’s ironic. Dong Hua never bothered scolding Jiheng for not knocking. But he scolded Feng Jiu, who scolded him in return

Eh, JH meant nothing to him, while he likes FJ a lot. DH will scold FJ if it means she gives him her attention and that she talks to him even if she was scolding him. :rolleyes: He's acting like that schoolboy who would pull the pigtails of his crush to make her look at him. :P

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I have heard of the drama Love and Destiny but how is it related to Eternal Love? Wikipedia says it is part of the 三生三世 series even though the characters are different. And I can’t remember where I heard this rumor but apparently it is a fanfiction of eternal love that created Love and Destiny

4 hours ago, Megan said:

Who is worse at romance?

Dong Hua or Xiao Yan?

Can't say. I'd wait first for Xiao Yan's real love story before I'd compare. :D

3 hours ago, Megan said:

I have heard of the drama Love and Destiny but how is it related to Eternal Love? Wikipedia says it is part of the 三生三世 series even though the characters are different. And I can’t remember where I heard this rumor but apparently it is a fanfiction of eternal love that created Love and Destiny

Supposedly it's somehow the story of the celestials' God of War, before Mo Yuan. I've seen a few episodes, they do lightning trials too when somebody wants to be in a certain post. Though I didn't complete seeing all episodes, it's one of the shows I would like to watch again when I get the time.

I won't trust much the Wikipedia entries because it can be edited by anyone.

40 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Supposedly it's somehow the story of the celestials' God of War, before Mo Yuan. I've seen a few episodes, they do lightning trials too when somebody wants to be in a certain post. Though I didn't complete seeing all episodes, it's one of the shows I would like to watch again when I get the time.

I won't trust much the Wikipedia entries because it can be edited by anyone.

So Love and Destiny is pre-Mo Yuan? Is Dong Hua even there? Nine-tailed foxes? Zhe Yan the first Phoenix?

11 minutes ago, Megan said:

So Love and Destiny is pre-Mo Yuan? Is Dong Hua even there? Nine-tailed foxes? Zhe Yan the first Phoenix?

I saw one funny father who is the life of the episodes he's in. As for the characters there, I don't remember their names anymore or if there's equivalent to ZY, DH, and others. :sweatingbullets: 

I remember a phoenix, and some supposedly demon characters. 

• Confused 1

I watched the drama Love and Destiny. The main characters are the God of War Ju Chen and Lin Xi (she is the princess of the Kingdom of Mountains and she is the phoenix). In the drama, there is a Peach Garden where the main character lives and her friends are nine-tailed foxes, but this is not the Bai family. The drama does not mention DX and ZY, but there is Si Min, who has just started his official position.(a young version of Si Min, he also has his own love interest). Heavenly Master is very different from TMPOB. Finally, we get a normal Heavenly Lord who makes fair decisions. The drama also features a second couple, Yun Feng and Qing Yao (they may be reminiscent of LS and Chen Yu's relationship).

There is also a problem with demons ( where without them). There is a hint of a love triangle, but the heroine is completely devoted to the main character.

We know perfectly well what happened when FJ interfered with the DX trial in the mortal world and how she had to correct her mistakes so that he could pass it. So, the drama Love and Destiny shows what will happen if a celestial interferes with the redemption of another celestial, with all the consequences and without the possibility of returning to Heaven.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

1 minute ago, Lazuria said:

I watched the drama Love and Destiny. The main characters are the God of War Ju Chen and Lin Xi (she is the princess of the Kingdom of Mountains and she is the phoenix). In the drama, there is a Peach Garden where the main character lives and her friends are nine-tailed foxes, but this is not the Bai family. The drama does not mention DX and ZY, but there is Si Min, who has just started his official position.(a young version of Si Min, he also has his own love interest). Heavenly Master is very different from TMPOB. Finally, we get a normal Heavenly Lord who makes fair decisions. The drama also features a second couple, Yun Feng and Qing Yao (they may be reminiscent of LS and Chen Yu's relationship).

There is also a problem with demons ( where without them). There is a hint of a love triangle, but the heroine is completely devoted to the main character.

We know perfectly well what happened when FJ interfered with the DX trial in the mortal world and how she had to correct her mistakes so that he could pass it. So, the drama Love and Destiny shows what will happen if a celestial interferes with the redemption of another celestial, with all the consequences and without the possibility of returning to Heaven.

So is it part of the same universe or really a spin off?

8 minutes ago, Megan said:

So is it part of the same universe or really a spin off?

As far as we know, this is a spin-off. The production team after the release of TMPOB was inspired and decided to shoot another drama. But the events in Love and Destiny take place in the same universe as TMPOB and ELOD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With regards to Love and Destiny... I watched it after TMOPB and imo it's nothing like that drama (or the pillow book.) There are some similarities, but they felt more like a cheap rip-off. :vicx: 

I think TMOPB and L&D shouldn't be compared. L&D is not bad on it's own (even though I didn't like it) as long as you don't compare, which is what I did initially. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

With regards to Love and Destiny... I watched it after TMOPB and imo it's nothing like that drama (or the pillow book.) There are some similarities, but they felt more like a cheap rip-off. :vicx: 

I think TMOPB and L&D shouldn't be compared. L&D is not bad on it's own (even though I didn't like it) as long as you don't compare, which is what I did initially. 

I haven't compared Love and Destiny to TMOPB and ELOD. Just answered a question about the storyline in the drama.

It seems to me that the production team, desperate that they didn't get the rights to the Pillow book, decided to come up with their own story, sticking to the TMOPB Universe. Although they have satisfied themselves, many people think that dorama is just a pathetic parody of TMOPB. When I watched Love and Destiny, especially after watching TMOPB and ELOD, I also started to think so.

Everyone can watch the drama and make their own conclusion.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lazuria said:

I haven't compared Love and Destiny to TMOPB and ELOD. Just answered a question about the storyline in the drama.

I know :) 

It seems to me that the production team, desperate that they didn't get the rights to the Pillow book, decided to come up with their own story, sticking to the TMOPB Universe. Although they have satisfied themselves, many people think that dorama is just a pathetic parody of TMOPB. When I watched Love and Destiny, especially after watching TMOPB and ELOD, I also started to think so.

I can't really blame them after working on TMOPB. I'm still not over it. :lol:

Everyone can watch the drama and make their own conclusion.

True, I read some great reviews... It's just to obvious the production team worked on TMOPB and couldn't let it go. On wiki it's even mentioned as being part of Tang Qi's trilogy. :huh: I think that's not fair to TQ. I might have felt different about the drama if it wasn't promoted as a spin-off. 

• Like 2

Feng Jiu and Bai Gun Gun love nothing more than play with Dong Hua's tresses whenever he falls asleep. 

Dong Hua liked the garland and braids! :lol: To the surprise of Zhong Lin, he proudly kept his wife's and son's handiwork when he went to court among other places...

...And to visit Bai Gun Gun' s class with other parents. :sweatingbullets:

• LOL 4

22 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

@MayanEcho I can see DH do just that! Love the artwork!

It's really funny, and the artist gets how shameless DH is! :lol:

36 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

On wiki it's even mentioned as being part of Tang Qi's trilogy. :huh: I think that's not fair to TQ. I might have felt different about the drama if it wasn't promoted as a spin-off. 

Same here. It felt a bit weird that it was promoted that way. I liked what I had seen in the few episodes I've watched. It didn't  have to be associated with TMOPB, and it can certainly be a stand alone story.

• Like 4

I have such a question.

There were rumors after the end of ELOD that a drama about Zhe Yan and Bai Zhen would be filmed. But to date, TQ has not written any history about them. So, if they want to make a drama without the original source, it will be considered plagiarism if they do not get the consent of the author?

But then the question arises in the drama Love and Destiny there is a Si Min that was invented by TQ, wouldn't that be considered plagiarism?

The same goes for DX and FJ in TMOPB. Even if their history was falsified, but in the drama, their external data, names and partially their character were preserved. Or did the production team get TQ's approval that the characters would be included in the drama, and only their storyline would be changed? TQ was involved in writing the DX and FJ storyline in TMOPB?

And if the team got every right to come up with the DX and FJ story in the TMOPB as they want, as long as it doesn't involve a Pillow Book, then why did they want to get the rights to the book again after the TMOPB was completed? What's the point if they have their own history of DX and FJ? Or is it necessary to get TQ's consent again in order to screen a DX and FJ drama unrelated to the Pillow Book?

• Like 2

Just to say hello to everyone in this forum.  

I know I am late to the party. I only came across an episode of ELOD by chance in Youtube in late October. I am not a person who addicts to drama, stop watching TV over 10 years ago and could not waste time on watching any, no drama interests me.  However, I was blown away by ELOD.

I was immediately drawn to Vengo and Reba acting and the story line in that episode. I did not know who they are at all at that time.   I searched the drama, at first EL (TMOPB) came up. Eventually I found the full ELOD drama and started watching from ep1 to 56.  The story gets better and better and I could not stop watching it. Since then I watched the drama more than 20 times, here I am still could not get over it.  

Someone said this is a master piece and I agree it is. The casts are fantastic. Sceneries/settings, main songs and sound effects (BGM) are absolutely perfect.  Love the lead female (Reba) and male (Vengo). Vengo plays 3 roles so perfectly and you can really see the differences. Oh those micro expressions on his face and chemistry between Vengo/Reba. I would have thought he would get best actor award of some sorts.  I like his voice and his hands are beautiful apart from obvious handsome look. Reba is outstandingly beautiful. Both are very talented.

I am in awe with everything about ELOD (except many scenes with JH which should not be there).

All casts are excellent too, from sky kingdom (LS, SM, ZL, CY), Qingqiu (Ali, ZY, BZ, BQ, and all Bai family), mortal realm (2 Enuchs, YQT), Demon clan (YCW, ML), Aranya dream (SMY, ChaCha, XM, JL) and Xie Gouchu.  The only one I don’t like from start to finish is JH, she pretends to be young and cute, but so artificial, she looks like 40+ yet her voice is like 50+.

I have gone from someone who does not watch drama to binge watch ELOD.

It is so difficult to find anything related to ELOD on internet searching from Europe, hardly any information. There are quite a few things that are unclear, so I decided to watch EL drama (TMOPB) just in case I could find out the answers. That was a mistake it spoiled my mood on PB significantly.  Then I searched for PB book. I found unofficial version and read them through.

I find the ELOD is much better than EL perhaps due to Reba / Vengo, story line and music.

Everything in ELOD is better than EL.  The settings for EL feel like the mortal imperial court rather than immortal heaven.  Also the fox cave is scruffy. I like the settings for ELOD much more.

As per the books, the style of writing in PB is also better than TMOPB (note that I did not get a proper translated English version and I cannot read/write/speak Chinese).

What I really like about ELOD is the love story between FJ/DH you cannot beat that! Countless of memorable scenes (long list). Also comedies etc. are quite funny. The funniest of all is the scene at weapon ceremony when DH appears on the stage.

After watching the last ELOD episodes. I feel I don’t have enough of it. Then I searched again and voila! found this forum. I read though posts in the past month which have enlightened me in many aspects of the PB/TMOPB.

I would like to thank all of you who make this forum alive for English speakers! Also many thanks to the team who set up the 3L3WPB blog/website with beautiful translations. The outtake and one shots were beautifully translated. I first read it through mobile but I now found out that you can see more information if you access it from computer. For example the timeline. That was extremely helpful to understand timeline of 3L3W universe. The relationship between clans, how DH was born etc. I enjoy the website enormously.

@MayanEcho many thanks for setting up this forum, your answers/posts to people in this forum are brilliant.  

Although I read the ‘books’, those seem to be incomplete translation. If anyone here knows where can I get hold of the proper English translation of both books I will appreciate it. I would love to buy the books with same illustrations as the Chinese ones. I love those beautiful Chinese illustrations.

I would also love to buy the 60 episodes +bonus scenes from the drama if I can get them somewhere. Appreciate if someone could point out to me if you come across one. Quality of video on Youtube is rather poor.

Edited by Pesca
Adjust texts
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Pesca said:

Just to say hello to everyone in this forum.  

Welcome! :D 

I know I am late to the party. I only came across an episode of ELOD by chance in Youtube in late October. I am not a person who addicts to drama, stop watching TV over 10 years ago and could not waste time on watching any, no drama interests me.  However, I was blown away by ELOD.

You are not alone. To many of us ELOD is a master piece. TQ has created some very interesting characters and the the production team and actors/actresses did a great job putting it to screen. The good new is, more is to come! 

Everything in ELOD is better than EL.  The settings for EL feel like the mortal imperial court rather than immortal heaven.  Also the fox cave is scruffy. I like the settings for ELOD much more.

As per the books, the style of writing in PB is also better than TMOPB (note that I did not get a proper translated English version and I cannot read/write/speak Chinese).

I think we all agree that the PB is much better translated than EL. 

The PB does not have an official translation (it was done by fans) and perhaps it's only for the best, as EL aka "To the sky kingdom" was a disaster. 

What I really like about ELOD is the love story between FJ/DH you cannot beat that! Countless of memorable scenes (long list). Also comedies etc. are quite funny. The funniest of all is the scene at weapon ceremony when DH appears on the stage.

I second that! That scene stays funny! :lol:

After watching the last ELOD episodes. I feel I don’t have enough of it. Then I searched again and voila! found this forum. I read though posts in the past month which have enlightened me in many aspects of the PB/TMOPB.

I would like to thank all of you who make this forum alive for English speakers! Also many thanks to the team who set up the 3L3WPB blog/website with beautiful translations. The outtake and one shots were beautifully translated. I first read it through mobile but I now found out that you can see more information if you access it from computer. For example the timeline. That was extremely helpful to understand timeline of 3L3W universe. The relationship between clans, how DH was born etc. I enjoy the website enormously.

@MayanEcho many thanks for setting up this forum, your answers/posts to people in this forum are brilliant.  

Although I read the ‘books’, those seem to be incomplete translation. If anyone here knows where can I get hold of the proper English translation

of both books I will appreciate it.

@UnluckyWhiteCat has a annotated version of the Pillow book that's well worth a read. As for EL, there is no complete fan version that I'm aware of.

I would love to buy the books with same illustrations as the Chinese ones. I love those beautiful Chinese illustrations.

I would also love to buy the 60 episodes +bonus scenes from the drama if I can get them somewhere. Appreciate if someone could point out to me if you come across one. Quality of video on Youtube is rather poor.

The picture book is hard to come by for a reasonable price, unfortunately. But many of the art work is shared in this thread.

So far no cut- or bonus scenes, with the exception of the boat scene.

Check out Wetv though... You can stream the entire drama online and find BTS clips... really funny ;) 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Lazuria said:

I have such a question.

There were rumors after the end of ELOD that a drama about Zhe Yan and Bai Zhen would be filmed. But to date, TQ has not written any history about them. So, if they want to make a drama without the original source, it will be considered plagiarism if they do not get the consent of the author?

But then the question arises in the drama Love and Destiny there is a Si Min that was invented by TQ, wouldn't that be considered plagiarism?

The same goes for DX and FJ in TMOPB. Even if their history was falsified, but in the drama, their external data, names and partially their character were preserved. Or did the production team get TQ's approval that the characters would be included in the drama, and only their storyline would be changed? TQ was involved in writing the DX and FJ storyline in TMOPB?

And if the team got every right to come up with the DX and FJ story in the TMOPB as they want, as long as it doesn't involve a Pillow Book, then why did they want to get the rights to the book again after the TMOPB was completed? What's the point if they have their own history of DX and FJ? Or is it necessary to get TQ's consent again in order to screen a DX and FJ drama unrelated to the Pillow Book?

Zhe Yan and Bai Zhen are copyrighted characters of TQ. So unless there's a consent or license to use the characters from TQ to create a drama about them, then it's infringing of copyright and may be liable to lawsuits and fines.

Si Ming is known as a Chinese deity for the fates of humans, so there's no legal issue of using the character in stories.

In TMOPB novel, DH and FJ are mentioned and in several parts of the story, particularly the supposed mortal trial of Dong Hua wherein Feng Jiu became the Honourable Concubine Chen. Thus, Croton can use their characters as how they were in the TMOPB book. How they met and how FJ stayed in Tai Chen Palace as maid were very briefly mentioned in TMOPB. 

So far nothing has been mentioned if TQ was part of the script writing for TMOPB, but she was for ELOD.

Before producing TMOPB, Croton has tried negotiating for the rights to TPB from Liu Yuxin. This is an indication that they wanted to be true to the story of FJ and DH, since there's an overlap in the timelines of FJ and BQ in the mortal realm, and if they have the rights they could actually show details like how DH and FJ first met, and the years of FJ in Tai Chen Palace as a servant.

When ELOD finally went ahead for production, it was with Tencent and not Croton, and the license for the story rights was almost over.

Although Dong Hua is like Si Ming, a Chinese deity, Feng Jiu and their story is by TQ. License to use the copyright for the story and to use the character of Feng Jiu would then be required. 

It's possible that Croton tried again after the very successful run of TMOPB to acquire the rights of TPB from Liu Yuxin, but negotiations have again failed, as another media company produced ELOD. She would later take another role as there's already an actress who perfectly played the role, and fans who wanted her to reprise the role. Not only that, it was very likely there aren't willing investors to produce ELOD if Reba wasn't FJ.

• Like 2