[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

Finished episode 21. It’s weird but I love seeing Xuanren miserable because we see how much he loves Xiao Jiu. Though I can’t say I’m happy he decides to stop fulfilling his role as an emperor. Poor empress, eunuch and the state. What are they going to do now? They so weakened and are now left leaderless and no general. Yikes!

seeing how Xuanren was insistent on Xiao Jiu staying beside him until she threatened suicide makes me wonder if Dong Hua would have ever stopped pursuing her if he were in his mortal form’s position.

3 minutes ago, Megan said:

Finished episode 21. It’s weird but I love seeing Xuanren miserable because we see how much he loves Xiao Jiu. Though I can’t say I’m happy he decides to stop fulfilling his role as an emperor. Poor empress, eunuch and the state. What are they going to do now? They so weakened and are now left leaderless and no general. Yikes!

seeing how Xuanren was insistent on Xiao Jiu staying beside him until she threatened suicide makes me wonder if Dong Hua would have ever stopped pursuing her if he were in his mortal form’s position.

Weakened state, betrayed by his own brother, his general dead, and immediately after, his beloved left. SXR went through a lot of heartaches in succession within a short time, rendering him unfit to rule. He was at least still responsible enough to acknowledge that he can't lead anymore.

Chengyu collapsed after 10 years when Nie Chuyin succeeded to take the Lingbi stone.

Dong Hua may stop if FJ actually asks him to and if she meant it. She never would say that though, and they've always felt the same way to each other. For DH, he'll always remember or care for her whoever she is, in whichever life, just that they should at least meet once.

Like SXR, DH will never give her up without a fight.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

12 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

betrayed by his own brother

I’m actually surprised Xuanren would be affected by this betrayal. Ok, for the prince to betray his country would be a shock. But surely the emperor must have known that Ying was part of the group that wanted to see him fail the bird hunt. Is it such a surprise to see the older brother hate the emperor? There would be obvious reasons for jealousy.

And does anyone else think that Xiao Jiu’s last words also conveyed her wish to return Xuanren’s love? She did say it was her misfortune not being able to return his love.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megan said:

I’m actually surprised Xuanren would be affected by this betrayal. Ok, for the prince to betray his country would be a shock. But surely the emperor must have known that Ying was part of the group that wanted to see him fail the bird hunt. Is it such a surprise to see the older brother hate the emperor? There would be obvious reasons for jealousy. 

And does anyone else think that Xiao Jiu’s last words also conveyed her wish to return Xuanren’s love? She did say it was her misfortune not being able to return his love.

Well, he still grew up with him, and the thing there is that even with some issues, Ying's willingness to kill him by betraying Chengyu would gut him. Just ask anyone who had a sibling cheating him or her of his inheritance or something. Because in principle you should be loyal to your own blood. If you're a believer of the Torah or the Bible, you don't do a Cain to your sibling because of jealousy and envy.

Re FJ's last words to SXR, it's exactly that, that she can't respond as she wishes to. Her role at the mortal realm is to be a means to make him experience his fate of unrequited love.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

I think we also must not forget that DH went to the mortal realm to experience the mortal hardships. He can not regain his cultivation by living a carefree and idle life.

Si Ming is good at what he does... fortunatly and unfortunately, depending on how you look at it.  :) 

• Like 3

I had a little analysis going on in my head so I had to let it out. 

So in TMOPB, Yehua chases Baiqian until he 'dies' and Baiqian now chases him. I have to say that the saying 'save the best for last' really apply to this series. I think all the other novels are always one step ahead from BQ and YH's love story. I dont know but it was quite cliche with BQ hiding her identity and disguising as a man in kunlun gave me mulan vibes and then her second life as a mortal and her tragic love story with the immortal prince gave me rich/poor girl cliche. And then with the rest of society not accepting the relationship because of theire status and then babies and then YH doing that horrible acts to BQ in order to calm his family. No YH. It doesnt matter how you justify it. I bet you if baiqian actually had some status he wouldn't feel -- oh wait she happens to a queen of her own realm and you were also in a arranged marriage since tou were born. Huh. The novel tried to make it bittersweet but the only thing I personally admired in this story was BQ's resilience and growth BEFORE she met YH. The whole time YH was grieving over "Susu" or whatever he named her. Also that fact he named her?? Are you adoptive father now? I didnt find that part romantic in the slightest. Ok, this is becoming a long rant but certain aspects of YH love to me is overly passionate/consuming. If this guy could swallow BQ whole to make sure she can always be with him then he really would. I dont hate YH, i just hate the way him and BQ started their love journey. They both whould have met way later on but it was their fated destiny to have such a messed up story and get their child mixed up in it.

Pillow book. Half of the book, FJ was sacrificing literally everything to chase/love/protect Donghua and then when she stops trying, Mr Soft rock Donghua finally starts pursuing her in the rest of book and now continuing on to the day she will eventually die. (Which this is really sad but I think that will the time when Donghua will end his life too. It's really sad now when I think about it but I dont see how Donghua could live in a world/heaven/realm without fengjiu. Like this is the same guy who when he knew he would die was still refusing to let go of fengjiu or let her be happy with another man. Which is a lil toxic but fj is donghua first and true love so I guess in a way he still feels like she belongs to him even after he dies.)

Lotus step I dont get. I don't understand if Liansong is trying to pursue 'Chengyu' or trying to reject her the same chapter. Also, liansong is actually the most complex character so far that Ive read in the series. This guy definitely needs a immortal therapist nearby. It sounds like maybe he has some sort of mental illness, possibly depression. Is he a sociopath? I could definitely be reading it wrong since google translate is hard to understand but I know that chengyu definitely has a crush on him too so for now dont know who is pursuing who.

And bodhi fate. Well straight from the first prologue, tang qi has made it obvious that whatever Shaowan and Moyuan went through before TMOPB even began must have been 'complicated' enough for her to still dislike him and think hes completely moved from her and has dozens of children and wives. Somehow I feel like Moyuan is clearly the one who hasnt let go of his feelings and from that one chapter around the end of TMOPB where the just the mention Shaowan makes him feel upset enough to leave the room mid conversation and sit by himself. I think Baiqian even noticed it and brushed it off thinking that moyuan probably has his own heartbreaking story just as she did with yehua. And lotus step confirmed again in that flashback where moyuan is mentioned by zuti who was trying to remind shaowan that whatever shes trying to do, moyuan wont be pleased and would stop her if he knew what was going to happen. Anyways i feel like theres going to be some very dark and upsetting themes with this upcoming novel. 

And Xie hua lou and Xiao yan story has already began when hua lou fell head over heels for xiao yan and took him as her student while she was still awake and concious. This is set again before TMOPB and xiao yan at this time is younger and less skilled as he is now. So clearly the romance was growing but as we know ji heng is still xiao yan's childhood infatuation at this time which ends at the climax of pillow book. I get the feeling that xie hua lou probably- before she went into her long sleep/coma- gave xiao yan some wise words on how ji heng was just apart of his maturing process and that in the end he will always come to her. This is a older,beautiful,wise woman/immature younger guy romance that is definitely fated. I can't wait for this one!! Xiao yan you deserve a women that will treat you honestly not a girl like ji heng that will use you until she doesn't need you anymore. For this novel, Xie hua lou will definitely be the one doing the chasing through the first half of their book and once she wakes up again - which is gonna be in Bodhi fate I believe- xiao yan will be her new puppy lmao.

Woooah i didnt realise i wrote that much after i posted it :facepalm:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, Bai Gun Gun said:

Mr Soft rock Donghua finally starts pursuing her in the rest of book and now continuing on to the day she will eventually die. (Which this is really sad but I think that will the time when Donghua will end his life too. It's really sad now when I think about it but I dont see how Donghua could live in a world/heaven/realm without fengjiu. Like this is the same guy who when he knew he would die was still refusing to let go of fengjiu or let her be happy with another man. Which is a lil toxic but fj is donghua first and true love so I guess in a way he still feels like she belongs to him even after he dies.)

Now that Feng Jiu has GG, if she for some reason died before Dong Hua (unlikely since she is younger), would DH follow her or stay and take care of GG?

• Insightful 1

@Bai Gun Gun too bad there's only one reaction per post. :lol: This thread has long or short posts...I'm guilty too of long posts when I'm writing just as how my thoughts are going.

------+++++-----

Ye Hua was too timid to openly defy Tianjun, then too overly "by the rules" when he's in Jiuchongtian. He was, however, willing to take some chances at mortal realm...like a boy seeing toys for the first time. That "I like it, I want it, I must have it." And then, he finds out, he has bitten more than he could chew. From then it's all downhill. 

That he wouldn't be as Sang Ji, accepting of being humiliated openly for the sake of the woman he chose, was kind of irksome. He only had some spine after becoming crown prince. By that time, it's hopeless because Su Su BQ was already betrayed by him one too many times. It's just as well BQ chose the amnesia wine after she jumped from the Zhutian terrace. Taught YH that there are loses you can't make up to no matter how much one tries. An irony too that she was tranquil in Qing Qiu, while he's anxious in his hopes to revive her mortal persona using the lamp.

----+++++----

Dong Hua on the other hand, is unhampered by any rules on whoever he would choose for his wife, and nothing to restrain him too in his shamelessness, like make up stories being poisoned by the water serpent and its effect to him. LOL. What a change for the icy face, recluse deity revered for his zen.

There's no doubt on his commitment to FJ though. He can follow her everywhere wherever it would lead, and he desires to take her wherever he goes. Whether in life or death. His love lets her be free on whatever she wants to do and grow as she wishes. His love for her too is all consuming, he will never be able to fully accept it that FJ will love another man. 

I don't mean that in a bad way, but that DH is that sort who will exhaust all means, fix what can be fixed, win her back however way it's possible. And if nothing anymore works, he would not stop FJ filing for divorce if it comes to that. He will let her divorce him, but for DH until his death, he remains faithful to her, only FJ owns his heart, and she is the only wife for him.

----+++++----

Rascal Lian Song is in mortal realm first and foremost for a mission. As rules would have it, one of the unspoken ones would be not to be involved with the mortals other than what was required while they're there. I can somehow get his very contrary behaviour. And Dong Hua will absolutely roast his half-son, once he learns what are the shenanigans he has done. Hahaha.

Lian Song is not exactly indifferent to Cheng Yu in the mortal realm. That painting was very telling. And what happened by the spring. Or when Cheng Yu sneaked to his room. LOL. But he refuses to have a deeper relationship with her, or to any mortals in the first place. The very reason why he rejected the marriage arranged for him by the royal family he serves no less. He was also in mortal realm to search....hmm, that would be quite a spoiler, hahaha!

As for Cheng Yu, she is also not who she seems. Her loyal companions in her mortal sojourn all knew this life of hers is but one she has to go through until she's back to who she really is. Mortal Cheng Yu's feelings for Lian Song changed gradually from brotherly to a young girl falling in love for the first time. And yet as a princess, she's also duty bound to do what will protect the subjects in their kingdom. In that last available Lotus Steps chapters preview...sigh...

----+++++----

Mo Yuan...he's that very calm master of BQ, but we can all wager there's more to it, being the God of War of celestials. How dark he can be...well, IMO, darker than that Eastern Bell he created and its crimson fires that can consume all realms.

Shao Wan is adorable with her frankness and confidence and outspokenness. Like Yin to Yang, but who really between her and Mo Yuan is Yin and who's the Yang?

I'm excited with this couple. Can I just say that it's quite a match between a black dragon and a white phoenix?

-----++++-----

Xie Hualu and Yan Chi Wu is another curious story. This master of XY is the 3rd most beautiful in all realms. Still LMAO with what FJ thought before as the reason why JH dislikes XY - it's because he's more beautiful than the rare Demon beauty. This story would be unique, just from the dynamics itself between these two. Can't wait too for the very proper Xie Guchou's story.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Now that Feng Jiu has GG, if she for some reason died before Dong Hua (unlikely since she is younger), would DH follow her or stay and take care of GG?

If FJ died for some reason, I think that DH would stay to take care of GG even though he wanted to join her. (Unless there is some kind of magical potion to revived her).  I think is because if DH left his son, it means that GG would be an orphan without his parents. Remember DH knows what it feels like not to have a family or love. So he doesn't really have a childhood. I think he wouldn't want his son to be in his shoe. Even though GG has many people for example Lian Song, Cheng Yu, and the Bai family to care for him and love him, I think that GG would prefer to be with his mother and his father. As you can see through the ending and the epilogue, he seems happier when his father and mother were present. Compare to the mortal realm. Sure he seems happy with his mother but always question the present of his 'father.' If GG looses his mother it would be very traumatic for him as a child, not to mention his Father too if DH wanted to join his wife. And it would leads him to the thoughts that he was unwanted by his own parents. And that his father choses his mother over him. Is a tough decision for DH and cruel in my mind. But I think perhaps DH will stay with GG and help him as he grow.  And eventually when the times come DH will leave and join FJ.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

1 hour ago, Megan said:

FJ has lower cultivation and she isn't a high immortal even, so it's more likely she'll perish even if she's younger before DH does. That is, if he's not in a situation that he has to sacrifice his cultivation and fairy essences. Like in the battle of Miao Luo, that he's weakened by the Qiushui poison he absorbed from that ungrateful bimbo.

IMO, even if DH knew of BGG beforehand, he'll still choose to follow FJ. Without FJ, he cannot truly take care of BGG. Same with FJ if it's DH gone. In a way it's good, because BGG won't be subjected to additional trauma of having an empty shell for a parent.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

12 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Mo Yuan...he's that very calm master of BQ, but we can all wager there's more to it, being the God of War of celestials. How dark he can be...well, IMO, darker than that Eastern Bell he created and its crimson fires that can consume all realms.

Shao Wan is adorable with her frankness and confidence and outspokenness. Like Yin to Yang, but who really between her and Mo Yuan is Yin and who's the Yang?

I'm excited with this couple. Can I just say that it's quite a match between a black dragon and a white phoenix?

As always @MayanEchoI lovee your response! SW and MY are already a perfect match thats why I'm so curious on what kind of love calamity they went through all those thousands of years. I wonder what Moyuan reaction will be when he hears his true love has risen from the dead on his wedding day? 

12 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Taught YH that there are loses you can't make up to no matter how much one tries. An irony too that she was tranquil in Qing Qiu, while he's anxious in his hopes to revive her mortal persona using the lamp.

Honestly I didn't feel bad for him when he searching to revive "Susu" all those years..but A-li definitely doesn't have to deserve being stuck with such man child parents. At least Fengjiu was mature enough at her young age to raise her child and still be considerate enough to not bother Donghua with the child as she thought he had gotten his happy ending with ji heng. Poor fengjiu.

14 hours ago, Megan said:

Thats a hard question.. I think donghua being alone and in a unhappy family when he was GG age won't have his own son to struggle like he did. Of course GG is FJ's son too so anything that reminds him of FJ is precious to him too. Also, I feel like he'll raise GG when he's old enough to take care of himself and probably end his life quietly somewhere. I dont see him abandoning GG but I also dont see him actually living in a world where FJ has passed away.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

35 minutes ago, Bai Gun Gun said:

I wonder what Moyuan reaction will be when he hears his true love has risen from the dead on his wedding day? 

That itself is explosive. Like who would ever think she'll wake up on his supposed wedding day to someone else? B)

The love story and the backstory of these two legendary ancients would be epic! 

35 minutes ago, Bai Gun Gun said:

At least Fengjiu was mature enough at her young age to raise her child and still be considerate enough to not bother Donghua with the child as she thought he had gotten his happy ending with ji heng. Poor fengjiu.

The thing that I admire with FJ the most is her ability to separate what doesn't have anything to do with the other. She kept and raised BGG even with the choices Zhe Yan have given her, nor did she have a grudge against DH's supposed "choice".

Thinking that she was still a young girl in 3L3W universe, poor FJ indeed. A single parent and alone in the mortal realm. YH still had it good, as he has plenty enough people to assist him raising Ali. Whereas FJ and BGG...how lonely are they among the mortals. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

38 minutes ago, Megan said:

Feng Jiu is probably the first person Dong Hua does pretty tricks for. I mean flower fish bowl, falling petals doesn’t seem the type of presents he gives Zhihe 

And this guy is known for bloody battles

He's courting FJ. ^_^ FJ likes simple or nature themed things. Much like her actually. Those gifts/gestures are perfect.

If he does those for ZH, she'll be a hungry piranha. Hahaha!

DH grew up bloodied by battles. But it's Zhi He who has the cruel steak and murderous tendencies. <_<

Noticed that DH doesn't get annoyed with kids, whereas ZH got physical with Ali?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

9 hours ago, Megan said:

Feng Jiu is probably the first person Dong Hua does pretty tricks for. I mean flower fish bowl, falling petals doesn’t seem the type of presents he gives Zhihe 

And this guy is known for bloody battles

FJ makes DH feel dear... Even the toughest men will melt when they are touched or moved... A heart filled with sweetness and affection will naturally compose "pretty" magic. :wub: 

9 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

DH grew up bloodied by battles. But it's Zhi He who has the cruel steak and murderous tendencies. <_<

Noticed that DH doesn't get annoyed with kids, whereas ZH got physical with Ali?

I tried analysing her and was trying to make sense of her character...then I gave up- she's a psycho.-_-

DH may not have spend to much time educating her, but she's 3 times FJ's age and refused to even learn right from wrong, or anything else for that matter. <_<

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

I tried analysing her and was trying to make sense of her character...then I gave up- she's a psycho.-_-

DH may not have spend to much time educating her, but she's 3 times FJ's age and refused to even learn right from wrong, or anything else for that matter. <_<

Her possessiveness and sense of "ownership" is out of whack. <_< Her treatment of Xiao Jiu when she was a maid at Tai Chen was very bad...she even killed the Mufeng butterfly because it became friends with FJ. :(

For both the book and drama, Zhi He didn't learn from DH. He did try training/teaching her, but she apparently doesn't want to learn anything because DH is there. :phew:

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1

8 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Her possessiveness and sense of "ownership" is out of whack. <_< Her treatment of Xiao Jiu when she was a maid at Tai Chen was very bad...she even killed the Mufeng butterfly because it became friends with FJ. :(

For both the book and drama, Zhi He didn't learn from DH. He did try training/teaching her, but she apparently doesn't want to learn anything because DH is there. :phew:

I agree. You'd think she would try her best to impress DH and cultivate, but instead she's incredibaly lazy. It almost doesn't make sense. Is she so stupid she doesn't even realise to get his attention she actually needs to make something of herself? But that doesn't correspond with her actions either. She's looking for praise and is quick to accept praise she doesn't even deserve (pastries) 

So, she must know how to get his approval. 

• Unamused 1

3 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

I agree. You'd think she would try her best to impress DH and cultivate, but instead she's incredibaly lazy. It almost doesn't make sense. Is she so stupid she doesn't even realise to get his attention she actually needs to make something of herself? But that doesn't correspond with her actions either. She's looking for praise and is quick to accept praise she doesn't even deserve (pastries) 

So, she must know how to get his approval. 

ZH certainly knows that DH likes it when someone excels with something since he's skilled with crafts and house chores himself. She was jealous of FJ coz the pastries she made were liked by DH. And then the sweet and sour fish she made FJ cook. She wanted to pass it off as her own cooking again, to impress DH who was bad with his own fish?

She certainly doesn't like being bested by others. Apart from that, FJ is effortlessly charming almost everyone that even Zhong Lin has intervened for FJ.

But....Zhi He is incredibly lazy to do the work herself. Neither does she have problems taking credit from others, even lie to receive the praise, particularly DH's appreciation.