[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

47 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

I never thought of that he may have inherited the harem.

SXR was lucky, his step mum was actually so kind to him. 

The ancient eras had different rules on their households. Anything can be possible to cater to the requirements of the one in power, or what they abide to depending on their norms and practices.

SXR was indeed very fortunate. When we usually hear of evil stepparent, this Empress Dowager loved and raised him as if he's her own son. 

It's nice that in the drama version, DH in one lifetime had a doting parent. ^_^

• Like 4

12 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

The ancient eras had different rules on their households. Anything can be possible to cater to the requirements of the one in power, or what they abide to depending on their norms and practices.

SXR was indeed very fortunate. When we usually hear of evil stepparent, this Empress Dowager loved and raised him as if he's her own son. 

It's nice that in the drama version, DH in one lifetime had a doting parent. ^_^

That's right. He did, didn't he? In the mortal realm, at least he was loved by his father and step mother. That is probably why he had a positive mindset and bravely set out to win Siu Jiu's heart. Even though SXR had the weight of the king's responsibility on him, he had alot more freedom to do what he liked  without life threatening repercussions.

Whereas poor SY, had hardly any parental love and was limited by political issues. No wonder he was such a negative and cautious character. Looking back, Vengo and the makeup crew did a great job. The SY post-Aranya's death looked depressed and unhealthy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

That's right. He did, didn't he? In the mortal realm, at least he was loved by his father and step mother. That is probably why he had a positive mindset and bravely set out to win Siu Jiu's heart. Even though SXR had the weight of the king's responsibility on him, he had alot more freedom to do what he liked  without life threatening repercussions.

Whereas poor SY, had hardly any parental love and was limited by political issues. No wonder he was such a negative and cautious character. Looking back, Vengo and the makeup crew did a great job. The SY post-Aranya's death looked depressed and unhealthy.

SXR in the adaptation was indeed fortunate with his stepmother (though not with the half-brother). Whereas DH only had foster parents that were lukewarm with him, SY has a mother who didn't treat him as her son, but someone to deify.

...He was the foreordained Archmage. His mother treated his birth as an honor and never regarded him as her son. Since she worshiped him more than she loved him, he hadn't ever tasted the feeling of love... (PB2, p307)

In the show, be it as SXR, SY, or as himself, DH is very devoted and dedicated to the one he loves. Not to say he doesn't commit mistakes along the way, or miscalculates the repercussions, but mostly he does or decides something with FJ as the focal point. 

SXR would have had no real troubles really to be married to Xiao Jiu except that she was there in mortal realm to facilitate his trials. DH's most grievous misstep of giving the Saha fruit FJ won to JH, has been meant to cure the demon princess and set himself free from taking care of her. It would have been one less burden for DH since JH is encroaching his space and cramping his style to court FJ. 

For the tragic SY, his efforts to work behind the scene to save Aranya all went to naught because he didn't say anything to her that she can hold on to. Worse, he left her without bidding his farewells as if it didn't matter that she asked him to wait for her. 

It still breaks the heart that while he's in his garden tending to his plants, at peace with the assumption that Aranya is safe, his princess was fighting at the battlefield, dying for her subjects.

Vengo studied his role well. Though it would have been preferable that he didn't have those puzzling "antennae" hair, it is remarkable that SY in the show only smiled once, and it's for Aranya FJ as he tells her she's invited to the meteor watching banquet. He was pale and sad all throughout. It's...how a man with centuries of regrets would look. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

SXR in the adaptation was indeed fortunate with his stepmother (though not with the half-brother). Whereas DH only had foster parents that were lukewarm with him, SY has a mother who didn't treat him as her son, but someone to deify.

...He was the foreordained Archmage. His mother treated his birth as an honor and never regarded him as her son. Since she worshiped him more than she loved him, he hadn't ever tasted the feeling of love... (PB2, p307)

In the show, be it as SXR, SY, or as himself, DH is very devoted and dedicated to the one he loves. Not to say he doesn't commit mistakes along the way, or miscalculates the repercussions, but mostly he does or decides something with FJ as the focal point. 

SXR would have had no real troubles really to be married to Xiao Jiu except that she was there in mortal realm to facilitate his trials. DH's most grievous misstep of giving the Saha fruit FJ won to JH, has been meant to cure the demon princess and set himself free from taking care of her. It would have been one less burden for DH since JH is encroaching his space and cramping his style to court FJ. 

For the tragic SY, his efforts to work behind the scene to save Aranya all went to naught because he didn't say anything to her that she can hold on to. Worse, he left her without bidding his farewells as if it didn't matter that she asked him to wait for her. 

It still breaks the heart that while he's in his garden tending to his plants, at peace with the assumption that Aranya is safe, his princess was fighting at the battlefield, dying for her subjects.

Vengo studied his role well. Though it would have been preferable that he didn't have those puzzling "antennae" hair, it is remarkable that SY in the show only smiled once, and it's for Aranya FJ as he tells her she's invited to the meteor watching banquet. He was pale and sad all throughout. It's...how a man with centuries of regrets would look. 

It would have been interesting to see how Dong Hua would react to feeling the despair SXR and SY felt. Probably he would have just told Feng Jiu he loved her first and foremost.

Question: with regards to Song Xuanren’s brother, surely he must have known the dude hated him if he wanted to sabotage the hunt for birds?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Megan said:

It would have been interesting to see how Dong Hua would react to feeling the despair SXR and SY felt. Probably he would have just told Feng Jiu he loved her first and foremost.

Perhaps so, as he did in the show. DH himself is new to the whole lot of myriad of emotions he started to feel, including what's being in love feels like.

He says he's no good saying "nifty" words, LOL. He's quite upfront though when asked what FJ meant to him. Registration of their marriage is practically what he did first as soon as they're back to Jiuchongtian.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Question: how long do we steam potatoes and yams before peeling them?

We peel it first I believe and cut it to smaller pieces before steaming them. Average time of steaming is about 10 minutes or steam till it soften.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2020 at 10:44 AM, MayanEcho said:

DH and FJ are both have the 'all or nothing' type of mentality.

DH was so patient. Thinking back, DH may not say much and have a poisonous tongue, but he was patient and forgiving to people around him. 

SY's EQ is just as bad as DH's. 

The saving grace was at least SY knew how much AY loved him. 

Sadly, AY's passed away thinking she forever unwanted and unloved.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi my fellow dongfeng shippers.

As I’m back to routine and “new normal” as they said it, life been change a lot. Glad to know at least the forum remain the same and lively as before :).

Can only repeat one or two ELOD episode per week now and still amused by our dongfeng. My friend told me that she read in some other cdrama forum that they can’t stand watch pillowbook and no chemistry between the lead makes me wonder if they actually watch the same version as me ;). Well haters always gonna be haters i guess. 
And I’m so thrilled that I managed to get to make the sorrowless pastry looks a like in the tai chen palace from the recipe that I found in this forum and they actually taste pretty good. Would like to share the pic but don’t know how to. Lol. 
Anyway that’s all from me, just want to say hello and get my ELOD addiction fix.:P

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 2

On 8/7/2020 at 11:49 AM, Megan said:

Question: with regards to Song Xuanren’s brother, surely he must have known the dude hated him if he wanted to sabotage the hunt for birds?

Prince Ying, if you noticed, is passive aggressive. Says something, does another thing. The bird hunting sabotage was quite subtle - a thoroughbred horse suddenly keeling over, then later on he was offering SXR some of his hunts. 

He only gave himself away at the tombstone mêlée when the Lingbi stone was so near, yet so far, as SXR foiled his staging the invasion of the enemies he colluded with to grab the throne.

3 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

DH was so patient. Thinking back, DH may not say much and have a poisonous tongue, but he was patient and forgiving to people around him.

I rather think DH is that paradox of a patient and forgiving being, and yet, he is also vengeful and intolerant.

DH and SXR were both patient and forgiving. SXR didn't execute right there and then XJ and YQT after they betrayed and humiliated him. DH has all the reasons to slay XY after he was trapped in the evil lotus land, but he did not (though he did beat him up later :lol:).

SY and DH are both willing to follow through no matter how much bitter it would be to extract justice and revenge. SY used up his cultivation to live in the dream realm after he took all other seasons except winter in Fanyin Valley, and DH absorbing the Qiushui poison to make sure and drive the point that in all eternity, he will never have to lay his eyes on JH again.

1 hour ago, Dreams87 said:

And I’m so thrilled that I managed to get to make the sorrowless pastry looks a like in the tai chen palace from the recipe that I found in this forum and they actually taste pretty good. Would like to share the pic but don’t know how to. Lol. 

Awesome! To post pics, you can either use Imgur, or perhaps, if you have Twitter/Pinterest/FB, you can post the pics and then share the link here. 

1 hour ago, Dreams87 said:

My friend told me that she read in some other cdrama forum that they can’t stand watch pillowbook and no chemistry between the lead makes me wonder if they actually watch the same version as me ;). Well haters always gonna be haters i guess. 

The leads have that chemistry in abundance, way back from TMOPB. They were perfect as DH and FJ that fans really pushed for them to reprise their roles in the PB drama adaptation. ^_^

• Like 2

https://www.facebook.com/1002533665/posts/10220218309820253/?d=n
i made my sorrowless pastry! Kind of disappointed though. It doesn’t taste that sweet and it just tastes like potato....why is this called a pastry again?

it was difficult to make it. The yam mash was so sticky, I couldn’t wrap it around the purple filling. In the end I had to stuff them into the mold.

any idea what went wrong?

on the bright side, my mom liked it. And you can make it sweeter by adding sugar...lots of sugar in my case because I have a sweet tooth.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

11 hours ago, Megan said:

https://www.facebook.com/1002533665/posts/10220218309820253/?d=n
i made my sorrowless pastry! Kind of disappointed though. It doesn’t taste that sweet and it just tastes like potato....why is this called a pastry again?

it was difficult to make it. The yam mash was so sticky, I couldn’t wrap it around the purple filling. In the end I had to stuff them into the mold.

any idea what went wrong?

on the bright side, my mom liked it. And you can make it sweeter by adding sugar...lots of sugar in my case because I have a sweet tooth.

It's suppose to be really sticky like glue since there's sugar on it. When its really sticky just keep on folding on top of each other again again apparently from what I learn it get's 'less sticky' and you can mold it into balls like shape. Don't worry it took me 15 tries to make a perfect mooncake and 25 tries to make a perfect macaroons. Sometimes you have to try again and again till is perfect :)

• Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody know the scenes from Lotus Step that involve DongFeng? I just miss DongFeng fic and am eager to learn more about it. 
or in any case, any idea when the next translated chapter will be released?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Megan said:

Does anybody know the scenes from Lotus Step that involve DongFeng? I just miss DongFeng fic and am eager to learn more about it. 
or in any case, any idea when the next translated chapter will be released?

Haven't actually read it yet, but my two cents is that it's unlikely that there will be much if anything with the two of them together, just because the first volume is supposed to be (please correct me if I'm wrong) the mortal arc of Cheng Yu's life, so there might not be much set in Jiuchongtian, and if there is, it would probably involve only Donghua since he's friends with Liansong, but Fengjiu at that point isn't really involved with it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Haven't actually read it yet, but my two cents is that it's unlikely that there will be much if anything with the two of them together, just because the first volume is supposed to be (please correct me if I'm wrong) the mortal arc of Cheng Yu's life, so there might not be much set in Jiuchongtian, and if there is, it would probably involve only Donghua since he's friends with Liansong, but Fengjiu at that point isn't really involved with it. 

I can confirm that in the mortal arc, there's no mention of Feng Jiu. It's more of a backstory of who is Cheng Yu, who was Lian Song in her life, and the dynamics between Dong Hua and his half-son Lian Song. 

Spoiler

If Dong Hua ever becomes poor, he will be rich again if he collects years of Lian Song's boarding + babysitting + library fees from Tianjun. :lol:

Mortal arc gives the circumstances on why CY resent LS. Of what I've read of Lotus Steps first 24 chapters, I say, prepare lots of tissues. It's a sob fest more than Pillow Book or TMOPB.

• Insightful 1

3 hours ago, Megan said:

So...in other words...the only available chapters are of the mortal arc...aw man.

Good books aren't written in a rush. ^_^Translating it would also take time. The exact context and flow of thoughts should mirror that of the author.

There's no DH with FJ in the first 24 chapters of Lotus Steps, since where timelines are concerned, the backdrop was before they are together.

The mortal arc is one big adventure after another, mostly in the mortal realm, and partly in Netherworld. The mostly quiet Xiu Guchou in The Pillow Book? He'll talk a lot more in Lotus Steps. :lol:

TQ just knows how to really tug the heartstrings with her visual imagery. And this is from reading the output of the far from perfect, autocorrect feature of browsers. If it was properly/correctly translated - the waterworks would be much, much more.

• Unamused 1
  • Insightful 1