[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

I was very disappointed, in the first half I was very taken with the story.
In the second half, it seemed as if they had lengthened the story to lengthen the number of episodes.
Not at the level of the prequel.

22 hours ago, Megan said:

I am so happy this forum is back to normal! I miss the ELOD talks.

I totally get you. I feel like my life is in balance again! 

When the forum was down, was wondering how am I going to contact you lovely soomp

soompi users! Thankfully the site is running again.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, SYU said:

I was very disappointed, in the first half I was very taken with the story.
In the second half, it seemed as if they had lengthened the story to lengthen the number of episodes.
Not at the level of the prequel.

Eternal Love of Dream has followed quite closely The Pillow Book, the novel it's based on.

The first half of the drama adaptation is the backstory of Feng Jiu's devotion to Dong Hua (he saving her, and she trying to repay the good deed), and the mortal arc. The actual story of the two begins only when they finally meet as Dong Hua Di Jun and Bai Feng Jiu at the wedding of Ye Hua and Bai Qian, Ep24 of ELOD. 

The second half of the drama adaptation consists mainly of the Fanyin Valley and Aranya's Dream sojourns of Dong Hua and Feng Jiu. The story of their shadows Aranya and Shen Ye was also brought to life, and how, through them, the formerly undestined couple would finally have a fate together.

Though it's unfortunate that you felt the story was deliberately extended in the 2nd half of the drama, it is as narrated in the 2nd book volume of the novel.

To be honest, most readers felt that there should have been 60 episodes or more of the drama, since there are details and parts of the book story  that were not in the show. ^_^

As for prequel, did you mean Eternal Love/Ten Miles of Peach Blossom? That is not a prequel per se, but a stand-alone, first story in the series of the Three Lives, Three Worlds universe books of Tang Qi Gong Zhi. The second book, Eternal Love of Dream, or The Pillow Book, is the very own story of Dong Hua and Feng Jiu.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

7 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

I totally get you. I feel like my life is in balance again! 

When the forum was down, was wondering how am I going to contact you lovely soomp

soompi users! Thankfully the site is running again.

Missed you too! :kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Eternal Love of Dream has followed quite closely The Pillow Book, the novel it's based on.

The first half of the drama adaptation is the backstory of Feng Jiu's devotion to Dong Hua (he saving her, and she trying to repay the good deed), and the mortal arc. The actual story of the two begins only when they finally meet as Dong Hua Di Jun and Bai Feng Jiu at the wedding of Ye Hua and Bai Qian, Ep24 of ELOD. 

The second half of the drama adaptation consists mainly of the Fanyin Valley and Aranya's Dream sojourns of Dong Hua and Feng Jiu. The story of their shadows Aranya and Shen Ye was also brought to life, and how, through them, the formerly undestined couple would finally have a fate together.

Though it's unfortunate that you felt the story was deliberately extended in the 2nd half of the drama, it is as narrated in the 2nd book volume of the novel.

To be honest, most readers felt that there should have been 60 episodes or more of the drama, since there are details and parts of the book story  that were not in the show. ^_^

As for prequel, did you mean Eternal Love/Ten Miles of Peach Blossom? That is not a prequel per se, but a stand-alone, first story in the series of the Three Lives, Three Worlds universe books of Tang Qi Gong Zhi. The second book, Eternal Love of Dream, or The Pillow Book, is the very own story of Dong Hua and Feng Jiu.

Yes, I meant Eternal Love. I didn't know whether to call it main story or prequel.
From halfway through I found it boring... especially Dong hua became a bit too sugary.
I had high expectations, because I really liked their story... I was looking forward to the drama.

1 hour ago, SYU said:

Yes, I meant Eternal Love. I didn't know whether to call it main story or prequel.
From halfway through I found it boring... especially Dong hua became a bit too sugary.
I had high expectations, because I really liked their story... I was looking forward to the drama.

Eternal Love/Ten Miles of Peach Blossom is the standalone story of Ye Hua and Bai Qian. It is the first book in the 3L3W universe of Tang Qi Gong Zhi, which will have 6 novels in total. It is not a prequel to the second book Eternal Love of Dream/The Pillow Book. All stories are standalones, though there would be recurring characters, like YH, BQ, DH, FJ, Zhe Yan, Lian Song, Cheng Yu, etc.

In the TMOPB drama adaptation, the story there of Dong Hua and Feng Jiu was not even their real story - in reality, they've never met, and there's no rock of incarnation either. Their story in TMOPB drama is made up due to rights that was owned by somebody else for Pillow Book at that time Eternal Love was being shot.

In Eternal Love of Dream/The Pillow Book, the real Dong Hua and Feng Jiu story, it was really his turn to do the chasing after her and wooing her.

The Feng Jiu that Dong Hua met at the wedding has basically given up that there's a chance for them after what happened in mortal realm. Add to that that before getting trapped in Aranya's Dream, Feng Jiu has been let down yet again by Dong Hua when he gave away to Ji Heng the Saha/Pinpo fruit she worked so hard to win.

Note though that even if in the drama DH is sugary, that's only with FJ when it's just them. :) He's still cold and icy faced with others. Also, in all lives and however way they had met, FJ has always been remembered or special to DH, be it as Tai Chen maid Xiao Jiu, baby fox FJ, mortal realm Bai Xiao Jiu (Song Xuan Ren as DH's mortal projection), Jiuge in Fanyin Valley, Aranya of Fanyin Valley (Shen Ye as DH's shadow), and as herself, Bai Feng Jiu.

You might want to read the novel for Eternal Love of Dream, and then take another look at the drama adaptation? ^_^ If so, here are the links for the two volumes, translated to English: 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7k582f87698ax4s/Pillow_Book_1.pdf/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7r7b9bqfrrrp6j1/Pillow_Book_2.pdf/file

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, SYU said:

This is why people should be warned that ELoD is not the continuation of DH and FJ's story from EL because it will get confusing. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, triplesung said:

This is why people should be warned that ELoD is not the continuation of DH and FJ's story from EL because it will get confusing. 

It would have been good if on initial release, there's a note/disclaimer like they did for Korean airing which was done last June. Sigh, it's a missed opportunity.

Their (DH & FJ) story in TMOPB has to be made up as the story rights ownership of the second book TPB was owned by somebody else. Apparently TMOPB production tried to buy it, but the owner that time repeatedly refused. Not until viewers saw and liked the DH and FJ actor/actress in TMOPB that there was a clamour for them to reprise their roles in ELOD that she relented.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

It would have been good if on initial release, there's a note/disclaimer like they did for Korean airing which was done last June. Sigh, it's a missed opportunity.

Their (DH & FJ) story in TMOPB has to be made up as the story rights ownership of the second book TPB was owned by somebody else. Apparently TMOPB production tried to buy it, but the owner that time repeatedly refused. Not until viewers saw and liked the DH and FJ actor/actress in TMOPB that there was a clamour for them to reprise their roles in ELOD that she relented.

Thankfully she did! Now we have the most perfect FJ and DH in drama :hooray2:

5 hours ago, SYU said:

Please note, the author herself had highlighted after TMOPB, she wanted to write a pure romance. The end product was Three Lives, Three Worlds, the Pillow Book. 

I understand where you are coming from. I think It comes down to personal preference. Like I mentioned many times, ELOD is a pure romance, unlike TMOPB. So for viewers who want an combination of genre, ELOD would not be as enjoyable.

I found it difficult to get through TMOPB. The main reasons were I didn't like the scheming and the main characters personal choices. 

Obviously I prefer ELOD. I loved the main leads and their journey. How they developed from an individual and as an couple.

DongFeng had made some questionable choices, but overall I admire their playfulness, loyalty,  never ending energy, and the focus on the future. They have this 'can do' mentality, that i think many lack. As a couple, I admire their tenderness, willingness to compromise, they put each others needs before their own, and have fun trolling each other. 

In most dramas or novel, I often read how people are confused and unsure why the main leads love each other. For DongFeng, it was clear why and they naturally fit as a couple. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

44 minutes ago, daydreamer77 said:

That's why I can't get over them. Love, love, love our DongFeng couple. :blush:The fact that the actor and actress were outstanding in their performances and their chemistry make it more lovable :blush:

Not that the drama adaptation is perfect all throughout, as there are some parts or scenes we gripe of. But when it comes to chemistry, and giving life to their roles as DH and FJ, the two main leads really nailed it. The support cast members were also top-notch, even the kids. :heart:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Not that the drama adaptation is perfect all throughout, as there are some parts or scenes we gripe of. But when it comes to chemistry, and giving life to their roles as DH and FJ, the two main leads really nailed it. The support cast members were also top-notch, even the kids. :heart:

Whoever did the casting deserves a lot of praise. All of them had good chemistry and they complement each other.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, ChibiLy said:

It seems like many people felt the same...

ELOD topped many social media categories

:hooray2:

Congrats ELoD. And of course we can understand why they are topping. I would be surprised if they weren't.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

17 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

ELOD topped many social media categories

Most loved watching it so much. :blush:

16 minutes ago, triplesung said:

Congrats ELoD. And of course we can understand why they are topping. I would be surprised if they weren't.

And who won't look forward seeing DH and his charming son meet. :love: BGG is little DH through and through.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Megan said:

This idea came out of nowhere but I really wanna see Zhiyue and Zhihe face off. Honestly Zhihe holds more sway in Taichen but Zhiyue won’t be chased away by Dong Hua apparently.

Zhi He would likely lose - no sword skills, remember? :lol: While Zhiyue whether used as a bluff by FJ to fend off the suitors, might be able to fight...FJ said their duel's just slicing off a limb or two. LOL

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

15 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Zhi He would likely lose - no sword skills, remember? :lol: While Zhiyue whether used as a bluff by FJ to fend off the suitors, might be able to fight...FJ said their duel's just slicing off a limb or two. LOL

Sadly, the only skill Zhi He seem to excel at is bullying!

• Wiggle 1