[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

5 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Woot, that's where I missed it! It's so...well, so small a description. Thanks @jimmylyne Also, @Ninky, @UnluckyWhiteCat, the Mandarin text is it more elaborated in this part, right? Looking forward to the additional notes/details whenever you can. :blush:

I would be adding the content to blog later but Lotus Step comes first. i am sure people want that first chapter hahaha.

The Chinese version had always been much clearer as it is straight from Tang Qi’s usual long poetic prose. 

Translation alters some of that and the tone of the written text, but that’s part and parcel of translation. 

I would be looking at doing translation of entire scenes after we get through most of Lotus Step as LS is a bit of a daring behemoth project in itself hahaha!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Just now, Ninky said:

I would be adding the content to blog later but Lotus Step comes first. i am sure people want that first chapter hahaha.

:blush:

By the time Lotus Steps translation reaches Ch 24, one dragon would have already lost whatever skin or scale he got from multiple roasting by the readers.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

3 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

:blush:

By the time Lotus Steps translation reaches Ch 24, one dragon would have already lost whatever skin or scale he got from multiple roasting by the readers.

Don’t worry he will pay penance later in the Nine Heavens by slapping his own face a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

Don’t worry he will pay penance later in the Nine Heavens by slapping his own face a lot.

There's also that line led by DH growing longer. At least 4, soon enough about 5 or 6 will want to beat him up. :joy:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Woot, that's where I missed it! It's so...well, so small a description. Thanks @jimmylyne Also, @Ninky, @UnluckyWhiteCat, the Mandarin text it is more elaborated in this part, right? Looking forward to the additional notes/details whenever you can.

Welp I found that section, and unless there's more later (I haven't actually gotten up to this part in the Chinese text yet), I actually can totally see why Hamster translated it that way.

Text:  帝君算好日子,因疊宙之術疊不了碧海蒼靈的空間

The bit that explains it is "疊不了," which just means not-compressible. It isn't necessarily more detailed, just slightly more specific, but yeah, it's pretty important and easy to miss. Took me a second look to see it. 

I'm looking forward to the translations by the translation team though, it'll for sure be better than what I can do. :blush:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Actually @Megan, why don’t you read the Chinese version? Time to shake the rust off the language :blush:. It would clear up a lot of your questions as well.

I was able to still keep up with my Chinese over here in Australia by reading books. I also have friends who have migrated here from Sg and China so I speak to them in Mandarin.

I’m waiting for Kinokuniya to reopen 

• Love 1

56 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Yes. Dong Hua made it happen by giving the Miao Hua mirror to her brother. He never ever wanted to see her again in exchange for getting the Qiu Shui poison out of her system.

I kind of find this funny. Miao Hua mirror can only be used by DH. Immortals get headache when they come too close. Only DH can rest near the falls.

In the demon clan, they couldn't find a place to hang it. Therefore, they couldn't use it. If it gets set up again, can they use the mirror, won't it give them migraines? Or it'll just be that waterfall ornament that messes up their heads ..

Xuyang for sure got the short end of the bargain. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I kind of find this funny. Miao Hua mirror can only be used by DH. Immortals get headache when they come too close. Only DH can rest near the falls.

In the demon clan, they couldn't find a place to hang it. Therefore, they couldn't use it. If it gets set up again, can they use the mirror, won't it give them migraines? Or it'll just be that waterfall ornament that messes up their heads ..

The Miaohua Mirror is useful to DH but pretty useless to anyone else 

The overwhelming power of Miaohua Mirror can messed up immortals head because the effects of people's thoughts and people's emotions in it, if they touch the mirror.

Just like how SMY's face turned white as soon as he touched the Mirror's frame.

PB2 page 298

Dijun faintly nodded his head. He poured more tea and reminded him,
Don't touch the glass's frame. Be careful not to let your mind be disturbed
by the thoughts of the people in the glass.”
Regrettably, his reminder was
so leisure and careless that Mo Shao's hand had already touched the frame
out of curiosity. Within a split second, a heavy emotion struck right into his
heart through the glass frame that was connected to his hand.
It was as if
he was suddenly reliving a stretch of life. Someone else's life. Chen Ye's life.

PB2 page 300

And yet Heaven liked to tease. The emotions within the Miaohua glass
surged like flood water. The color on Mo Shao's face gradually drained
white.
Dijun sipped some tea and asked him, “Can you still bear it?” His
poor face scrunched up into a smile: “Your Majesty, what if I can and what
if I cannot?” Dijun gave a concise advice: “Just hang in there.”

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

The overwhelming power of Miaohua Mirror can messed up immortals head because the effects of people's thoughts and people's emotions in it, if they touch the mirror.

The demon clan aren't that good in negotiations, are they? The offender this time is one from their side though, so even if it appears Xuyang had to accept JH on his terms, ehem, DH gave them the equivalent of a white elephant as a gift. 

Maybe Shao Wan can use it like DH does when she wakes up, provided that the demons manage to even hang it. :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

39 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

The demon clan aren't that good in negotiations, are they? The offender this time is one from their side though, so even if it appears Xuyang had to accept JH on his terms, ehem, DH gave them the equivalent of a white elephant as a gift. 

Maybe Shao Wan can use it like DH does when she wakes up, provided that the demons manage to even hang it. :)

Shao Wan will have no problems using it.

All ancients have a very strong immortal

aura and can withstand its power.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

2 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Welp I found that section, and unless there's more later (I haven't actually gotten up to this part in the Chinese text yet), I actually can totally see why Hamster translated it that way.

Text:  帝君算好日子,因疊宙之術疊不了碧海蒼靈的空間

The bit that explains it is "疊不了," which just means not-compressible. It isn't necessarily more detailed, just slightly more specific, but yeah, it's pretty important and easy to miss. Took me a second look to see it. 

I'm looking forward to the translations by the translation team though, it'll for sure be better than what I can do. :blush:

The full translation of that sentence :

“Di Jun calculated the days required. As Die Zhou magic was unable to compress the space around the Holy Blue Sea... “

Above is a rough translation of that entire quote. Small omissions can change the feel of a scene, just like the part about Bai Qian’s eyes...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jimmylyne said:

PB2 page 298

Dijun faintly nodded his head. He poured more tea and reminded him,
Don't touch the glass's frame. Be careful not to let your mind be disturbed
by the thoughts of the people in the glass.”
Regrettably, his reminder was
so leisure and careless that Mo Shao's hand had already touched the frame
out of curiosity. Within a split second, a heavy emotion struck right into his
heart through the glass frame that was connected to his hand.
It was as if
he was suddenly reliving a stretch of life. Someone else's life. Chen Ye's life.

PB2 page 300

And yet Heaven liked to tease. The emotions within the Miaohua glass
surged like flood water. The color on Mo Shao's face gradually drained
white.
Dijun sipped some tea and asked him, “Can you still bear it?” His
poor face scrunched up into a smile: “Your Majesty, what if I can and what
if I cannot?” Dijun gave a concise advice: “Just hang in there.”

The second part with Su mo Ye, the chinese version just felt that Su Mo Ye was less affected by the mirror but more devastated by what he saw in the mirror. True there were some physical and emotional turbulence from

touching it. But they were minor compared to what he was feeling while watching the truth unfold before his eyes.

The english version felt the other way around, that the mirror affected him a lot more than the truth coming to light.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

When do you think Dong Hua realizes Feng Jiu recovered her memories? Zhe Yan and Bai Zhi never mentioned it when Dong Hua came to Qingqiu.

Feng Jiu did bring it up when they finally meet again.

So I am on episode 12 and some thoughts:

- aww Chen Yu and Lian Song - Third Prince are cute and I am invested in them now more than our OTP

- Not sure what to think about this mortal arc. I can’t get use to DH with black hair as a goofy prince lol. I like that FJ has matured a bit but also still has lots to learn. Good intentions gone wrong is the motto. I hope it goes by quick.

-At first I was impress that Ji Heng wasn’t a villain right away but to see her turn into one over time now is also painful ( I am not a fan of the actress’ acting style) and she may replace Su Jin as the most annoying. 

oh and the opening song grew on me sooo much. Very emo rock lol but I dislike the closing song - the lady’s vocals are so weak

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Maybe he uses it to play pranks on his guests. Say a guest he doesn’t like stays over, Xuyang puts him in a room near the waterfall. The unwanted guest gets a headache

meanwhile...why didn’t Dong Hua just use compression magic to send a message directly to Taichen Palace to Siming or Lian Song, or better yet, to Qingqiu?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

The second part with Su mo Ye, the chinese version just felt that Su Mo

Ye was less affected by the mirror but more devastated by what he saw in the mirror. True there were some physical and emotional turbulence from

touching it. But they were minor compared to what he was feeling while watching the truth unfold before his eyes.

The english version felt the other way around, that the mirror affected him a lot more than the truth coming to light.

It's understandable SMY greatly effected because of he himself involved in the story of Aranya.. the more so..he now can feels what's Shen Ye had felt.. reliving Shen Ye'' life as his hand touched the Mirror....the anguishes and pains that Shen Ye's felt ..am I correct?

My theory..

So everytime DH used Miaohua Mirror to checked on the situations of All Realms he'd hears all the people thoughts in the mirror

For example..just like us watched the show on TV..we will laugh when there's sad scene and cry if there's funny scene..only the different is DH had his emotions under control and he also watched more than one TVs and it not easy for just some immortal including YH (who also has high cultivation since his Father Deity gave half of his to YH)...says like monitor screen in the security office..or was it like professor X in X-Men..he heard people's thoughts in one go/simultaneously..which is draining his energy...

So maybe that why the only one who can use the Mirror is DH or maybe the Buddha because they both has gained/reached Single mindedness ( nine mental abidings) also called Oneness.. Emotionless..so they won't effected by it.

"Don't touch the glass's frame. Be careful not to let your mind be disturbed by the thoughts of the people in the glass.”

To look into the mirror is one thing but to not effected by people thoughts when you know what's they're thought is another thing..must be required someone as Emotionless as DH .

I hope and guite sure( intrigued by how will TQ wrote theirs awesomeness in BF) SW and also MY can use the Mirror like DH did , hence helps him to look after the Realms...so that's DH can spend more happy time with his family.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

It's understandable SMY greatly effected because of he himself involved in the story of Aranya.. the more so..he now can feels what's Shen Ye had felt.. reliving Shen Ye'' life as his hand touched the Mirror....the anguishes and pains that Shen Ye's felt ..am I correct?

My theory..

So everytime DH used Miaohua Mirror to checked on the situations of All Realms he'd hears all the people thoughts in the mirror

For example..just like us watched the show in TV..we will laugh when there's sad scene and cry if there's funny scene..only the different is DH had his emotions under control and he also watched more than one TVs and it not easy for just some immortal including YH (who also has high cultivation since his Father Deity gave half of his to YH)...says like monitor screen in the security office..or was it like professor X in X-Men..he heard people's thoughts in one go/simultaneously..which is draining his energy...

So maybe that why the only one who can use the Mirror is DH or maybe the Buddha because they both has gained/reached Single mindedness ( nine mental abidings) also called Oneness.. Emotionless..so they won't effected by it.

"Don't touch the glass's frame. Be careful not to let your mind be disturbed by the thoughts of the people in the glass.”

To look into the mirror is one thing but to not effected by people thoughts when you know what's they're thought is another thing..must be required someone as Emotionless as DH .

I hope and guite sure( intrigued by how will TQ wrote theirs awesomeness in BF) SW and also MY can use the Mirror like DH did , hence helps him to look after the Realms...so that's DH can spend more happy time with his family.

It’s sad that it drains your energy to look at the mirror though

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Megan said:

It’s sad that it drains your energy to look at the mirror though

Not sure though..but here's another statement about Miaohua Mirror.

PB1 page 21

As such, the waterfall’s mystical energy was overwhelming. There were
few fairies who could withstand it. Even the ancient Zhenhuangs suffered
from headaches whenever they came here.
This was why for the longest time, Donghua was the only one who used this place as a resting spot.

Fengjiu led the little dough through the gate and reminded him, “Stay on
this side and don’t get too close to the Miaohua Mirror. Be careful not to
get hurt from its energy.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmylyne said:

My theory..

For example..just like us watched the show on TV..we will laugh when there's sad scene and cry if there's funny scene..only the different is DH had his emotions under control and he also watched more than one TVs and it not easy for just some immortal including YH (who also has high cultivation since his Father Deity gave half of his to YH)...says like monitor screen in the security office..or was it like professor X in X-Men..he heard people's thoughts in one go/simultaneously..which is draining his energy...

SMY is indeed affected by the emotional

aspect of the mirror more so due to his direct involvement in the story more than anything else. At his age, SMY has more than enough cultivation and rank to handle the effects of the mirror otherwise. 

All ancients can use the mirror. Dong Hua is currently the only ancient we really got to know. That’s part of why we feel he is the most awesome to date. We will need the remaining books to get to know the rest of his brethren. A few of them were in the same classes with Dong Hua at Water Marsh School with Father God as their personal tutor.

I have finished reading the twenty four chapters of the original chinese manuscript of Lotus Step to understand the story to help me translate in the correct context.

I can tell you now each of the other ancients are pretty special in their own right. 

Zu Ti, Shao Wan and Xie Ming are all special in their own different ways apart from being also extraordinarily beautiful women. You will be amazed at what each one has done or could do just based on the little that has been slowly revealed so far.

Me thinks that once they are all awake and back into their original positions, the 3L3W universe will change completely. 

Zu Ti was born from transformative birth just like Dong Hua was and I do not want to spoil anything atm so wait for the slow reveals over 24 chapters. Some things will make all your jaws drop.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

Not sure though..but here's another statement about Miaohua Mirror.

PB1 page 21

As such, the waterfall’s mystical energy was overwhelming. There were
few fairies who could withstand it. Even the ancient Zhenhuangs suffered
from headaches whenever they came here.
This was why for the longest time, Donghua was the only one who used this place as a resting spot.

Fengjiu led the little dough through the gate and reminded him, “Stay on
this side and don’t get too close to the Miaohua Mirror. Be careful not to
get hurt from its energy.”

The magical energy is just strong. People with weaker cultivation cannot get too close that’s all. A-Li is a child. Ye Hua already expended all his father’s cultivation on the Bell but he is only around 50000 + years old, by the time he is the same age as his twin brother, he will be quite powerful due to his lineage as Father and Mother God’s offspring.

Don’t forget Mo Yuan, Bai Qian and Ye Hua were able to break the starlight ward in the book so that tells you their cultivation and knowledge of certain powerful magic is nothing to sneeze at either.

• Like 3