[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

19 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

Beautiful sister ( BGG on XY) and pretty boy 

FJ first impression on XY on PB1 page 92

his figure elegant, his lips rosy, and his teeth white. Which fairyland did this handsome man come from… she couldn't help but gape
at him.

PB1 page 93 

Lol.... I love how FJ mind works..she thinks XY is prettier than Jiheng:joy:

Yan Chiwu scoffed. His face was as exquisite as a spring blossom under the
moonlight. “Since I dared asked you out to fight, I came prepared,” he said
icily. Surprisingly enough, Fengjiu started to daydream at this moment.
She surmised there must have been another reason why Jiheng didn’t like
this Yan fellow. Perhaps she didn’t want to have a husband who was
prettier than herself to prevent losing face when they stood together.

Casting was spot on indeed. XY is definitely prettier than JH. He is what I imagined while reading PB. The only person who turned out quite unlike the book is SMY. In ELoD, he is like the funny supporting character while in the book, he is more cool and has a suave character instead.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

The only man she loved in her 140,000 years

57 minutes ago, LovelyLady said:

When I started TMOPB, they were my OTP. I didn't know what the story was about (don't judge me lol) Turned out she was fated to someone else and Li Jing acted like a fool. Poor me.:sweat_smile:

Hey I had a thing for Li Jing too - his eyes are softer than Dong Hua's and although his judgment was always questionable (seriously, trying to lure your father's soul out to kill him on your own?!), I don't see him as a weak guy as most reviews have branded him.  Flawed and ruled by emotions yes but not weak.  He might be the only man I loved if I had 140000 years to live too! LOL.

Honestly though, there were many things I liked about him and I felt sorry for his character in the show.  Ironically, the only thing I didn't quite like was that they let him use his own voice - it has a nice deep resonance but the pronunciation and also tonal inflections were a bit out of place some times, loose, almost too contemporary and not formal enough...like how in some parts he pronounces Ah Yin as almost "Ah Ying".  

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 2

1 minute ago, Yori Ten said:

Casting was spot on indeed. XY is definitely prettier than JH. He is what I imagined while reading PB. The only person who turned out quite unlike the book is SMY. In ELoD, he is like the funny supporting character while in the book, he is more cool and has a suave character instead.

He lost all coolness when he cos played Xi Ze HAHA...that was hilarious!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 10

1 hour ago, jimmylyne said:

A bit of OOT..

Since I haven't read TMOPB book....I like to know who's Li Jing to Si Yin , her friend?her first love /crush? 

LJ was so goshdarn sexy in TMOPB. I love him but after he got together with XN in the cave (what's with actions in caves????), I didn't like him anymore. Huhuhu...

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

1 minute ago, bertrande said:

He lost all coolness when he cos played Xi Ze HAHA...that was hilarious!!!

That was mad! I laughed so hard at that scene, esp when CD fell into the hole. Both of them tried to avoid looking at each other. Hahaha...

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

6 minutes ago, Yori Ten said:

I still think SMY is a proper gentleman, except when FJ made him cosplay DH Xi Ze, chase Changdi and Prince Qing, and when DH stole his share of fox candies. :tounge_wink:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

2 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I still think SMY is a proper gentleman, except when FJ made him cosplay DH, and when DH stole his share of fox candies. :tounge_wink:

I think it has something to do about his dialogues. He always pause midsentence. Not sure if non Chinese speakers realize this. I find it very odd at times. The English translation could have missed this detail.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

13 minutes ago, Yori Ten said:

LJ was so goshdarn sexy in TMOPB. I love him but after he got together with XN in the cave (what's with actions in caves????), I didn't like him anymore. Huhuhu...

I found LJ funny when he barged in drunk as skunk in Si Yin's holding place. Especially when he woke up. Then later on, pitiful, after committing mistakes after mistakes in his judgment. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mımoz said:

I love the universe but I am even not sure if I will follow other books. From the very beginning I was only interested in DonFeng couple. So it looks like I have to enjoy what we have here in this forum. I am just hoping that the author can reveal some epiloques so that we can still live with them...

12 hours ago, Ninky said:

You should read the other books if you have a chance in the future including the previously published first book Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms. The 4 books will eventually connect to create a big picture.

11 hours ago, mımoz said:

I was thinking but according to the author this is the sweetest book and other will be darker .... If I get so bored, I might read others but lets just wait and see what will the future be like for us :) 

The great attraction of ELOD

ELOD drama (and Pillow Book novel) indeed give us a rare gem of romance between beautiful Feng-Jiu and handsome Dong-Hua (as I detailed on page 627). That’s why we could not move on and want to keep discussing the Dong-Feng pair.

Watching related dramas and reading related novels could provide better enjoyment of Dong-Feng

Watching related dramas and novels may give us a better picture and enjoy many aspects about Dong-Feng that are not featured in ELOD. We could enjoy other great couples, too.

For example, in Ten Miles of Peach Blossom (TMPB) drama,

1. We could enjoy Bai-Qian and Ye-Hua, a great couple.
  2. We could also enjoy Dong-Feng romance as the second arc. In this, there was a scene in which Feng-Jiu cut her tail, to change her & Dong-Hua’s doomed love as etched in the ‘Fate Stone’. There was another scene on Feng-Jiu’s coronation as queen and her anguish that she never be reunited with Dong Hua. This anguish provides viewers with sweet redemption when they were reunited at ELOD.

In addition, there are alternative stories (fan fictions) that feature Dong-Feng and could provide better understanding of their story. These stories could be found in several blogs, like “Wattpad”.

1. One story, “Faithful Heart; Rain of Fire and Steel”, describes why Qing-Qiu elders were initially unhappy with Dong-Hua. It turns out that, when a foreign queen marries a Celestial clan male, the male took over the queen’s country and thus her country became a Celestial clan’s territory. Qingqiu leaders want Feng-Jiu to retain Qingqiu’s independence and they made Dong-Hua to agree that he would not take over Qingqiu.
  2.  There is also another story, “The Qingqiu princess” (still ongoing), which is written as a sequel for “Pillow Book” and describes Dong-Feng’s daughter.

Expectation for future work

In TMPB drama, I learn that the producer introduces some Dong-Feng scenes that do not seem to appear in TMPB novel. This action provides a windfall, as Dong-Feng couple (played by Dilreba & Vengo) became popular and fans wanted them to continue their roles in ELOD, with great success.

Hopefully, in the coming Lotus Fate and Bodhi Fate stories, writer Tang-Qi or drama producers could keep popular Dong-Feng couple  as second leads, just as we enjoyed Dong-Feng as second leads in TMPB. I believe that the Dong-Feng’s inclusion may provide better attraction for these dramas.

Of course, it would be great if Tang-Qi or drama producers could produce a sequel to ELOD, another romance drama about Dong & Feng, this time with Gun-Gun and possibly another child, preferably a daughter.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, jasmine19 said:

The great attraction of ELOD

ELOD drama (and Pillow Book novel) indeed give us a rare gem of romance between beautiful Feng-Jiu and handsome Dong-Hua (as I detailed on page 627). That’s why we could not move on and want to keep discussing the Dong-Feng pair.

Watching related dramas and reading related novels could provide better enjoyment of Dong-Feng

Watching related dramas and novels may give us a better picture and enjoy many aspects about Dong-Feng that are not featured in ELOD. We could enjoy other great couples, too.

For example, in Ten Miles of Peach Blossom (TMPB) drama,

1. We could enjoy Bai-Qian and Ye-Hua, a great couple.
  2. We could also enjoy Dong-Feng romance as the second arc. In this, there was a scene in which Feng-Jiu cut her tail, to change her & Dong-Hua’s doomed love as etched in the ‘Fate Stone’. There was another scene on Feng-Jiu’s coronation as queen and her anguish that she never be reunited with Dong Hua. This anguish provides viewers with sweet redemption when they were reunited at ELOD.

In addition, there are alternative stories (fan fictions) that feature Dong-Feng and could provide better understanding of their story. These stories could be found in several blogs, like “Wattpad”.

1. One story, “Faithful Heart; Rain of Fire and Steel”, describes why Qing-Qiu elders were initially unhappy with Dong-Hua. It turns out that, when a foreign queen marries a Celestial clan male, the male took over the queen’s country and thus her country became a Celestial clan’s territory. Qingqiu leaders want Feng-Jiu to retain Qingqiu’s independence and they made Dong-Hua to agree that he would not take over Qingqiu.
  2.  There is also another story, “The Qingqiu princess” (still ongoing), which is written as a sequel for “Pillow Book” and describes Dong-Feng’s daughter.

Expectation for future work

In TMPB drama, I learn that the producer introduces some Dong-Feng scenes that do not seem to appear in TMPB novel. This action provides a windfall, as Dong-Feng couple (played by Dilreba & Vengo) became popular and fans wanted them to continue their roles in ELOD, with great success.

Hopefully, in the coming Lotus Fate and Bodhi Fate stories, writer Tang-Qi or drama producers could keep popular Dong-Feng couple  as second leads, just as we enjoyed Dong-Feng as second leads in TMPB. I believe that the Dong-Feng’s inclusion may provide better attraction for these dramas.

Of course, it would be great if Tang-Qi or drama producers could produce a sequel to ELOD, another romance drama about Dong & Feng, this time with Gun-Gun and possibly another child, preferably a daughter.

It is highly unlikely that a sequel to ELOD will be done. They do not have the rights to the characters. As Tang Qi is still writing the stories, it is unlikely for her to give that permission. For some of the ones that do have a sequel is due to the fact that those characters are in multiple books still as the lead in the story.

I think the western world thinks of sequels very differently to the chinese especially those related to books. It's not going to be a  game of thrones thing as the way the 3L3W is written doesn't have the same protagonist through all the books.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 2

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Hmm...is DH only adopted after he moved to heaven?

before that, when living alone in the blue sea...what did he eat? I am thinking he lived on the same fruity diet as SuSu since he can’t cook at all. Or maybe he survived on roasting yams

He is a true child of Heaven so don't know if he need a food to survive.

Since he have an enormous cultivation he can survive without food for thousands of yrs.. maybe.. there's a comparison of DH cultivation and JH's cultivation who can live without food for one full year.

PB 1 page 97

Only a condensed version survived in a few chronicles. They said the King drank pure water from the source and absorbed natural essences to become an immortal life.

PB 1 page 120 ( DH,  FJ( baby fox) and JH trapped in Wicked Lotus Sephere.

The princess’s ( JH)cultivation would allow her to go one full year without food, and there was no need to mention Donghua.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

It is highly unlikely that a sequel to ELOD will be done. They do not have the rights to the characters. As Tang Qi is still writing the stories, it is unlikely for her to give that permission.

Thanks for your feedback, @Ninky

If a sequel for Dong-Feng romance is difficult in China, one wonders if adaptations could be made in other countries.

There have been such cases for other dramas.

1. “Secret Garden”, originally a Korean serial, has adapted versions in China and Thailand.
  2. Meanwhile, gender bending “Hana-Kimi”, originally Japanese, has re-make versions in Korea and Taiwan.

One wonders if re-make/adapted versions of ELOD could be produced in other countries.

1. Thailand has a significant fan base for ELOD; maybe some producer could be persuaded to make an adaptation.
  2. Adaptation in Korea could be promising, as the country has ‘Gumiho’/ fox lady folklore. Instead of a nine-tailed fox, Feng-Jiu would be a nine-tailed Gumiho.
  3. Adaptation in Japan could also be promising, although miles of Peach blossoms may be replaced by miles of Sakura blossoms.

It would be wonderful if Tang-Qi could be persuaded to serve as co-scriptwriter and if Dilreba and Vengo could reprise their roles as Feng-Jiu and Dong-Hua in these adaptations.

If only this wish could be made into reality ….

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, jasmine19 said:

Thanks for your feedback, @Ninky

If a sequel for Dong-Feng romance is difficult in China, one wonders if adaptations could be made in other countries.

There have been such cases for other dramas.

1. “Secret Garden”, originally a Korean serial, has adapted versions in China and Thailand.
  2. Meanwhile, gender bending “Hana-Kimi”, originally Japanese, has re-make versions in Korea and Taiwan.

One wonders if re-make/adapted versions of ELOD could be produced in other countries.

1. Thailand has a significant fan base for ELOD; maybe some producer could be persuaded to make an adaptation.
  2. Adaptation in Korea could be promising, as the country has ‘Gumiho’/ fox lady folklore. Instead of a nine-tailed fox, Feng-Jiu would be a nine-tailed Gumiho.
  3. Adaptation in Japan could also be promising, although miles of Peach blossoms may be replaced by miles of Sakura blossoms.

It would be wonderful if Tang-Qi could be persuaded to serve as co-scriptwriter and if Dilreba and Vengo could reprise their roles as Feng-Jiu and Dong-Hua in these adaptations.

If only this wish could be made into reality ….

Most of that is wishful thinking at this point. Chinese novels are an IP. I believe it works differently from other types of IP. I think many book readers won't like it. So it's a matter of a balancing act between book fans and the shows. And this series is not complete in novel format yet. There are several adaptations of meteor garden but none compares to the original from which it derives from. So it can a hit and a miss. It just depends. And you lose a lot of the essence of the story doing the above. 

I think there are many book readers on this forum, if the whole theme is taken out of context in an adaptation, there will be plenty of angst among fans.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Yori Ten said:

That was mad! I laughed so hard at that scene, esp when CD fell into the hole. Both of them tried to avoid looking at each other. Hahaha...

The director made him look really silly. He was supposed to use magic to change himself to look like Xi Ze, they did the cosplay thing to make it funny LOL.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, jimmylyne said:

He is a true child of Heaven so don't know if he need a food to survive.

Since he have an enormous cultivation he can survive without food for thousands of yrs.. maybe.. there's a comparison of DH cultivation and JH's cultivation who can live without food for one full year.

PB 1 page 97

Only a condensed version survived in a few chronicles. They said the King drank pure water from the source and absorbed natural essences to become an immortal life.

PB 1 page 120 ( DH,  FJ( baby fox) and JH trapped in Wicked Lotus Sephere.

The princess’s ( JH)cultivation would allow her to go one full year without food, and there was no need to mention Donghua.

The thing is it took so long to get out of the sphere because he lost a significant amount of cultivation and had to meditate to get it back. Besides even with JH's cultivation she couldn't see through Miao Luo's true evil identity. Feng Jiu saw through it with less cultivation. I think this depends on the immortal's background as well. Fox clan immortals tend to be more powerful than others, considering every immortal descended from Bai Zhi is a High God/Goddess. (except the latest generation at their current young ages.)

• Like 3
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Besides even with JH's cultivation she couldn't see through Miao Luo's true evil identity. Feng Jiu saw through it with less cultivation. I think this depends on the immortal's background as well.

To be honest, I think this is like JH being like ZH . They both haven't learned something significant from their brothers because they are there to protect them. It's like JH wasn't a demon princess sister to Xu Yang, and ZH not a ward of DHDJ.

In contrast, the Bai children are given as much freedom and are encouraged to cultivate because aside from their Qing Qiu positions, their Bin Cang ceremony is also quite harsh and rigid. 

FJ isn't academically good in all she studied except ancient history and gods, but she fights well and can survive on her own even with limited means. She might be very young, but her competitive streak is on point as future queen and empress.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

To be honest, I think this is like JH being like ZH . They both haven't learned something significant from their brothers because they are there to protect them. It's like JH wasn't a demon princess sister to Xu Yang, and ZH not a ward of DHDJ.

In contrast, the Bai children are given as much freedom and are encouraged to cultivate because aside from their Qing Qiu positions, their Bin Cang ceremony is also quite harsh and rigid. 

FJ isn't academically good in all she studied except ancient history and gods, but she fights well and can survive on her own even with limited means. She might be very young, but her competitive streak is on point as future queen and empress.

Some people cannot study but they are good at other things. It's not because they aren't smart, they are just better at different areas.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Some people cannot study but they are good at other things. It's not because they aren't smart, they are just better at different areas.

That's true. Academics aren't everything. Practical and survival skills though should not be neglected, as there's no way that at all times, somebody's there to help. :)

• Like 5

15 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I think his feelings are more affected because he was there in Aranya's past and he went to the dream to find out the real reason why the princess he helped raise died. He was also acting as the Su Moye of the past for FJ, but it doesn't feel that he likes her the way DH does.

DH has no issues taking Xi Ze's identity because his focus was on healing FJ and to get her free. 

FJ is inevitably affected because she has the center of the story, and Aranya is also her shadow. DH, however, was there for her, and Su Moye, to keep her safe.

of course variables are different for Su Moye such as the kind of relation they have, common friends etc. But while trying to solve the mystery of Aranya, he somehow felt attracted to FJ  and  her charm.  I dont think FJ would be answering his feelings in any way if he said anything about it but even at that scene FJ directly changed the conversations direction :D As happened to lots of men in the drama, DH prevented another unrequited love for our FJ with just his existence around :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

31 minutes ago, mımoz said:

of course variables are different for Su Moye such as the kind of relation they have, common friends etc. But while trying to solve the mystery of Aranya, he somehow felt attracted to FJ  and  her charm.  I dont think FJ would be answering his feelings in any way if he said anything about it but even at that scene FJ directly changed the conversations direction :D As happened to lots of men in the drama, DH prevented another unrequited love for our FJ with just his existence around :D

I beg to differ with regard to SMY's affection towards FJ. I don't think there are any romantic inclination on his part. Personally, I dislike drama where the males fall in love with the FL left and right. There is a thing called affection towards the opposite sex without hidden agenda.

I think SMY's affection for FJ is purely platonic. He sympathized with her situation, being thrown into the middle of Aranya's mysterious death and had to re enact her life accordingly. He did realized his feelings for Aranya too late and because of that, he risked everything he had to enter the formation.

He might see glimpses of Aranya in FJ from time to time but he is also aware that FJ is not Aranya. He cared for FJ but at the same time he also did not hesitate to have FJ go through the fight against the beast, fully knowing that it would put her life in danger. The bottom line is, he just wanted to find out the true cause of Aranya's death.

@MayanEcho Hi 5 girl, great mind thinks alike, again. 

• Like 8