Quantcast

[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

Hi! I'm a long time lurker here largely bc I never know quite what to say. This time I think I can clear up a little bit of confusion, so I decided to post:sweatingbullets:

So for the half a day thing, that's a Chinese idiom, so while the words literally translate to "half a day" it idiomatically means "quite a while" so when something like that shows up, just think of it as "Fengjiu poured tea for longer than you are supposed to pour tea, or indeed quite a while."

I think the translators tend to leave it in bc they are more used to Chinese most of the time, and don't know that this idiom seems very strange for most English speakers.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MayanEcho

• jimmylyne

• Ninky

• Megan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fresh out of the oven! ELOD translation team presents author Tang Qi's 7th epilogue for The Pillow Book. We hope you get the joke because it is hilariously funny to the bones!!!    Source : @

Ok - for those wondering what Vengo said during his interview (I only translated up to this point. The rest was his message for his love rivals, which I won't go into, his appreciation to viewers for

The ELOD translation team have finally completed the English translation of Tang Qi's latest Pillow Book Epilogue. We hope you will enjoy the read! Shameless DH in action yet again!   S

^

i think its interesting that the translator leave the idiom as it is since it is unique and something related to chinese culture

its not like we dont have that phrases in english or in our own native language, but seeing how other language describe the 'quite a while' phrase in their own way is kinda interesting

hahaha

anyway i think i saw this before but forgot all about it

kinda fun to post this again

our immortals keeping up with the technology hahaha

45553758_1981967978555817_8052426333461143198_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fszb1-1.fna.fbcdn.net

44836732_288644805118279_3082916973194580799_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fszb1-1.fna.fbcdn.net

i saw others too but i dont want to post too much pics

got this at https://www.facebook.com/thepillowbooklovers

hahaha

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

one more thing that i find quite interesting is that how they use the chinese animal zodiacs into time

i even searched for it and i find something more interesting

the fact that there are only 12 animal zodiacs and so the time was divided according to the animals' time of active and each animal got two hours allocation time (correct me if i'm wrong)

i find that interesting

anyway talking about phrases and idiom

aside the use of half a day to signifies time

i also find ramming their head into tofu to kill themselves interesting

is it to hide their face, or what is the meaning of that exactly?

hahaha

6 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

As much as I sort of liked them as a side storyline, I do hope that FJ has matured somewhat. It's always a bit hard to stomach seeing the girl chasing after the guy so desperately throwing all reason aside. 

ah... if you read the book aka pillow book you will see that it is not feng jiu who is chasing donghua

but it's the other way around

in the book her time as a taichen palace maid and also her being a fox pet to donghua was mentioned briefly and only as a reminiscences

for most of the time the book is  talking about how fengjiu has given up on donghua and tries her best to evade him

just that stone of destiny has changed and now because of fate between fengjiu and donghua existed

they keep being attracted to one another

and also main point, it is donghua who did most of the chasing

i recommend you to read the book and not based on just the drama

pillow book drama will follow closely the book instead of the dongfeng you know from 10 miles peach blossom

which is almost like different people all together, just that they have same name and in this case same face

hahaha

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, chubby^green^ said:

ok aka pillow book you will see that it is not feng jiu who is chasing donghua

but it's the other way around

in the book her time as a taichen palace maid and also her being a fox pet to donghua was mentioned briefly and only as a reminiscences

for most of the time the book is  talking about how fengjiu has given up on donghua and tries her best to evade him

just that stone of destiny has changed and now because of fate between fengjiu and donghua existed

they keep being attracted to one another

and also main point, it is donghua who did most of the chasing

i recommend you to read the book and not based on just the drama

pillow book drama will follow closely the book instead of the dongfeng you know from 10 miles peach blossom

which is almost like different people all together, just that they have same name and in this case same face

hahaha

YEAH RIGHT. In the TMPOB i liked Feng Jiu's cuteness but when she's doing a hardcore going after Dong Hua it was annoying af. TMPOB Dong Hua arc is nothing like  The Pillow Book and i think this Pillow Book drama will go after Feng Jiu and Dong Hua book arc. As you can see Reba's released stills, she looks mature than FJ in the TMPOB..... 

One thing i like to see in the drama is that they should show more of Dong Hua chasing after FJ and show his shamelessness. That would be sweet and hilarious. :D

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

"..ramming my head into tofu and kill myeslf"  

Ah Li and Meng Shao use the same sentence...

@chubby^green^ we exactly have the same thought..wondering what was the exact meaning.

@hara128 Hello!! Welcome on board!! Any thought? and thks for your explanation about thoses phrases..much appreciated.

@Maria Brimstone i take that you clearly didn't read the book..just like @chubby^green^ suggested..read the book first and then maybe kindly share your thoughts.

@Kimberly Amor me too..can't wait to see how shamelessly DH gonna be ..using every tricks or methods in order to pursue his beloved FJ.

51 minutes ago, jimmylyne said:

@hara128 Hello!! Welcome on board!! Any thought? and thks for your explanation about thoses phrases..much appreciated.

HI!! (I've been lurking here for a while now, but I never have too too much to say with all the speculation.:sweatingbullets:)

I just have a little bit of chinese knowledge, so I noticed when a question came up regarding the phrase and thought "OH! A THING I CAN SAY!"

For the death by Tofu idiom...it's not a very common one, which is why the translator must have left it in, but what it basically boils down to, as far as I can understand it, is that a piece of tofu is really really soft, so basically, you must have already suffered such trauma beforehand that ramming your head into a piece of tofu would then kill you. 

:D:D It's a little bit like the straw that broke the camel's back. The piece of tofu is the last little bit of trauma that would kill you if you hit it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

@hara128

Welcome on board ! And thanks for explaining that for us :thumbsup:

@Kimberly Amor

Yup, I dont mind if they added more scenes of Donghua's shamelesness LOL. Just pray that they dont add more scenes for Ji heng like they did for Su jin <_<

5 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

As much as I sort of liked them as a side storyline, I do hope that FJ has matured somewhat. It's always a bit hard to stomach seeing the girl chasing after the guy so desperately throwing all reason aside. 

Hi, like everyone has said, Feng jiu from novel is not like Feng jiu from drama at all, she's more mature and have more dignity and understand her role as a Queen. Its Dong hua who shamelessly chased her :sweatingbullets: I hope you can give this drama a chance because it will follow the novel closely, the story is amazing :thumbsup:

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Kimberly Amor said:

TMPOB Dong Hua arc is nothing like  The Pillow Book

ah that reminds me, the fact that donghua in 10 miles easily succumb to his fate is just so unnatural for me

he is the master of the universe

the ruler of heaven and earth

if anything he would be the one defying what is already written for him

hence why i adore pillow book donghua even more

just like what he said, 

“So what if Destiny says we're fated, and so what if it says we're not?” Donghua coldly replied.

“I've never feared Destiny, and I certainly don't need its charity.”

it is just so manly to hear that, how to say it, very kakkoi hahaha

11 hours ago, hara128 said:

It's a little bit like the straw that broke the camel's back. The piece of tofu is the last little bit of trauma that would kill you if you hit it. 

ah... thanks again for the explanation, now i totally understand, the meaning is quite deep i think... i thought the meaning would be light and simple since it just involves tofu, but now i see it in different perspectives

hahaha

thanks again

12 hours ago, jimmylyne said:

Ah Li and Meng Shao use the same sentence...

even su moye use that expression as well, when he reminiscences of aranya's action to save chen ye and junou along the way from execution

it was a very interesting expression

hahaha

btw two days back our dilraba win something from weibo award 

i'm not sure what did she win hot character of the year (what is that?) hahaha

was hoping she would be there with vengo

but she is not

i am guessing the promotion for pillow book is not on just yet

hmm...

anyway congratulation dilraba, first of many awards for 2019 i hope

hopefully later we can have her and vengo at the same place at the same time

^__^

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sisca_TVXQ said:

Yeah really hope vengo could get some awards from pillow book, its really his chance to shine.

Vengo's Short Interview about Pillow Book

I'm gonna put this out there...Vengo got a little chunky.. :P

@linh5000

I prefer him like this, compared to TMOPB I think he already lost a lot of weight. Looking at the BTS released before I think his outfit is a bit loose...

Oefwcwm.jpg

Btw, I'm curious about something. Ah li real form is White dragon because Ye hua is Black dragon and Ba Qian is White nine tailed fox right ? So what is Bai Gun Gun's real form ? Is it Red rock ?  :joy:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, pawla said:

@Kimberly Amor, @jimmylyne, @Sisca_TVXQ Most of us here are waiting to see DH's shamelessness :D.  I guess being a  thick-skinned deity really helps him in winning FJ in the end. 

@chubby^green^ Vengo was in Milan for Milan Fashion Week. They probably will start to promote the pillow book after they released the trailer. Soon I hope. 

Shameless.Thick-skinned.Ice-face and Bastard(DH called himself) and yet i still think He is the most "intriguingly charming" character in the universe..lol

• Like 2
On 1/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, Sisca_TVXQ said:

Ah I was wondering about that too, why is Feng jiu confused at that moment...so Dong hua really give her that hairpin? But after that it was never mentioned again...

An excerpts from the Pillow Book 1 page 198.

" FJ suddenly recalled the piece of white Jade DongHua had gifted her and how much she had treasured it."

2 hours ago, Sisca_TVXQ said:

@linh5000

I prefer him like this, compared to TMOPB I think he already lost a lot of weight. Looking at the BTS released before I think his outfit is a bit loose...

Oefwcwm.jpg

Btw, I'm curious about something. Ah li real form is White dragon because Ye hua is Black dragon and Ba Qian is White nine tailed fox right ? So what is Bai Gun Gun's real form ? Is it Red rock ?  :joy:

Red rock??  Omg i don't even know what to think...lol

Tang Qi should have an answer to that..I wish i could know..

For my understanding DH power was more to silver-light form..his holy animals Phoenix,Dragon and Unicorn and his riding animal Tigers and Lions

Such a unique character..even his blood was Golden red..(due to his long-lifetime cultivation)

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, jimmylyne said:

An excerpts from the Pillow Book 1 page 198.

" FJ suddenly recalled the piece of white Jade DongHua had gifted her and how much she had treasured it."

But that was the trinket that was stolen by Jiheng's pet and was never mentioned again, this is from chapter 6

Spoiler

He scoffed, used his claw to lift away the trinket on her neck and airily walked away. That trinket was a piece of white jade Donghua put on her the day he brought her back to Jiuchongtian. It went well with the color of her fur, and she had liked it very much, never letting anyone touch it. Not only did the lion touch the jade, he even stole it away. Yet she couldn't do anything about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, pawla said:

Hmm... Interesting.  A red rock that can move and talk :lol:

Here's a clip of Reba mentioning about the pillow book. 

Both Reba and Vengo looks good..

Did they put on weight.. i think that both of them seem to be gain some weight..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sisca_TVXQ said:

But that was the trinket that was stolen by Jiheng's pet and was never mentioned again, this is from chapter 6

Hide contents

He scoffed, used his claw to lift away the trinket on her neck and airily walked away. That trinket was a piece of white jade Donghua put on her the day he brought her back to Jiuchongtian. It went well with the color of her fur, and she had liked it very much, never letting anyone touch it. Not only did the lion touch the jade, he even stole it away. Yet she couldn't do anything about it.

You are right... 

It's was written " piece of white jade" instead of " white jade hairpin".

Thks for the correction..

• Guest changed the title to [Mainland WebDrama 2018] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书