[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

@MayanEcho something interesting I am sharing:

I just finished Tang Qi’s modern novel Four Plays. A story is set in the modern to future timeline. It’s a tragic story with very sweet moments. It has a Sci Fi element but it makes you question the morality of human cloning really hard. The male lead is a mix of Dong Hua, Ye Hua and Third Prince combined. He is a 26 year old child prodigy natural scientist (studies genetics/cloning). The female is a strong 23 year old beautiful girl and a talented award winning underwater nature photographer.

The main characters start off in an arranged “business” marriage (both leads are from upper classes of the rich) as the male character, Nie Yi has extremely high IQ but low emotional IQ as he was raised in a family that did not know how to love. But he needed a wife to make his ailing grandmother happy. Unknown to himself, the fact is that he had slowly fallen in love and had no idea that everything he was feeling for her was love. We as readers could see him slowly changing as their story progresses. (Sounds similar to the rest of her characters in the other universe, doesn’t it?). He handpicked her as his wife however, so it was his choice.

In contrast, the female lead, Nie Fei Fei (both have same family names but are not related) was raised in a family that strongly believed in love. She had secretly been in love with him since she was 13 after having met him once while he got lost looking for the auditorium to give his talk on human genetics ( he was already a celebrated scientist at age 15). So basically she taught him how to love. 

After a lot of problems, they resolved all their misunderstandings and a miscarriage she suffered and settled into a very loving marriage, but tragedy struck, 6 months after the birth of their daughter, her genetic illness manifested and her immune system failed. In a desperate attempt to save his dying wife, he kept her contained in a glass house to keep her away from bacteria and virus. This was a woman who was used to jetsetting the world and taking photographs under the sea worldwide, so this was a torture for her. And because she loved him so much, she could not bear to let him watch her die.

So her best friend helped her run away not knowing that she was on deaths door. She went to do a final dive in her favourite island, where she died doing the very thing she loved the most. For the next three years he continuously deceived himself and believed she was not dead. Everyone else knew she was dead but he hung on to that hope and nobody dared to say she was dead around him.

But three years later, not being able to contain his grief, he created a clone of his beloved wife in 11months against his own principles. But deep in his heart he knew that the clone could never be his wife, neither could her family and friends. So he sent the clone away after giving her some new memories of another person’s life.

This clone was a perfect genetic copy of his wife and also had the same deadly genetic illness that killed Fei Fei. This clone found the recording left behind by Fei Fei on the island where she went for her last dive. That’s when the clone found out she is copy of her creator’s wife. In the end, Nie Yi also tried to cure the clone but she also died very quickly. 

The ending was told from the pov of his daughter when she was 20. Heartbreaking account as she speaks about how her father would lock himself in her mother’s room every year for the last 20 years on her parent’s wedding anniversary replaying the recording her

mother left behind. And that every year she grows older seem to be nearer the day when her Dad would leave her.

Over 20 years, he devoted himself to raising their only daughter and reopened research on her mother’s illness, called the “styx” project. He found a way to cure it and got nominated for a prestigious scientific award. Unfortunately, he still could not bring his wife back, the cure was too late. He never ever cloned her again as a clone could never be the same as the original.

So at the age of 48, his daughter received a last hug from him and he walked out of the house, never to be seen again ( yes tang qi has confirmed he has joined his wife). His daughter had always understood that her father would leave her one day to find her mother. She found the recorder left behind by her dad, it was the same

one left behind by her mum so she listened to it and heard the beautiful story of her parent’s love as narrated by her late mother. At the very end, was her father’s voice and he said, ““你是不是等得不耐烦了?我来找你了,非非。” translated:

”Are you tired of waiting for me? I have come to find you, Fei Fei.”

oh man, this story made me cry buckets. This is a story of human undying love that’s so heartbreaking. Tang Qi said needed to write this for herself as she was dealing with a lot of bad things in her personal life at the time. Of course, that’s why this story is the rare ones she has written that didn’t have a HEA. I think its sad but still a good story, without Fei Fei’s death we would not have seen Nie Yi’s undying love for her, a man she had loved for half of her lifetime. And I

love Fei Fei’s personality, strong, brave, loving, warm and like Aranya, was a free and easy spirit. 

This is a story of a man who finally learnt how to love only to lose her to an illness he couldn’t cure no matter how brilliant he was. So sad sigh!

So their daughter has a really beautiful name, 聂雨时

”when it rains”

Heard this story is going to be made into a drama. Tang Qi has already sold the rights for this. Male lead in Story is 188cm tall and Female lead is also tall, 172cm. But there are quite a few actors/actresses who can match the height so should not be an issue. But this one will be a tearjerker.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

That’s because the excuse is given by Zhong Lin, not Dong Hua hahahaha. From the way A Li talks about his Dad, he isn’t subtle, that’s true!

I must say, DH has well trained stewards who are rarely ruffled nor say the wrong things. Well, at least while the young master is still quite a toddler, haha. Who knows after a couple centuries more, when BGG is of similar age as Ali complaining of YH's bedroom habits. :lol:

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

oh man, this story made me cry buckets. This is a story of human undying love that’s so heartbreaking. Tang Qi said needed to write this for herself as she was dealing with a lot of bad things in her personal life at the time. Of course, that’s why this story is the rare ones she has written that didn’t have a HEA. I think its sad but still a good story, without Fei Fei’s death we would not have seen Nie Yi’s undying love for her, a man she had loved for half of her lifetime. And I

love Fei Fei’s personality, strong, brave, loving, warm and like Aranya, was a free and easy spirit. 

This is a story of a man who finally learnt how to love only to lose her to an illness he couldn’t cure no matter how brilliant he was. So sad sigh!

It's a beautiful story. A story doesn't have to have a happy ending to make it beautiful. Personally, I do like HEA, but I'm more after the development in the characters and the plot, the twists, the feels while reading their life. I've always considered reading novels as re-living the thoughts, emotions, and journey from beginning till the end.

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

Heard this story is going to be made into a drama. Tang Qi has already sold the rights for this. Male lead in Story is 188cm tall and Female lead is also tall, 172cm. But there are quite a few actors/actresses who can match the height so should not be an issue. But this one will be a tearjerker.

Oh wow, hope we can see the drama in within two years time!  It is sci-fiction, and still quite ahead of time; however, technology rapidly advances, so what was in the story might be debunked by the time the drama is released (if it took too much time to produce and then show). But yeah, I wanna have actors/actresses who fit to the tee the physical descriptions of the characters. I even want the one who plays the daughter to suit the name given to her. 

I don't mind crying, hahaha, nor the lack of HEA. But I'll have a fit over half-baked dramas that added too many fillers and then didn't complete the whole story and stopped midway the story as its ending. 

20 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I must say, DH has well trained stewards who are rarely ruffled nor say the wrong things. Well, at least while the young master is still quite a toddler, haha. Who knows after a couple centuries more, when BGG is of similar age as Ali complaining of YH's bedroom habits. :lol:

It's a beautiful story. A story doesn't have to have a happy ending to make it beautiful. Personally, I do like HEA, but I'm more after the development in the characters and the plot, the twists, the feels while reading their life. I've always considered reading novels as re-living the thoughts, emotions, and journey from beginning till the end.

This story was exactly everything you said. It was written from several people’s pov including the clone’s. There are several surprising and shocking twists and turns.

The clone herself was very sad when she realises that she was created to be somebody’s replacement and worse still had to die the same way as that person did and had no choice to decide her own destiny. But she forgave Nie Yi before she died. At that point Nie Yi sees a lot of his dead wife in her. The clone made the choice to leave like his wife as she felt exactly like the original that Nie Yi cannot handle watching her die. He set her free from the glass house and she died in a hospital in tibet (i believe). The clone was kind of the same but yet not the same iykwim? Interestingly she was also a photographer but one that prefers to use human faces to convey the story.

Nie Yi has Dong Hua’s intelligence and poisonous tongue, Ye Hua’s emotionless apathy (ye hua was like this at first as he was raised deprived of love), and Third Prince aloofness. So its a combination of her previous male characters in her books. You can see his development in the books clearly. 

The female lead reminds me of Aranya.

Big twist and turn from the start as story opens with Fei Fei working with her bestie to run away from her home and from him. So at first i thought he was an abusive husband but boy was I so wrong. Her best friend regretted helping Fei Fei for the rest of her life after Nie Yi showed up at her door panicking and trying desperately to find his dying wife.

That was when the bestie found out how ill her friend was. Fei Fei had kept the truth from her.

20 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Oh wow, hope we can see the drama in within two years time!  It is sci-fiction, and still quite ahead of time; however, technology rapidly advances, so what was in the story might be debunked by the time the drama is released (if it took too much time to produce and then show). But yeah, I wanna have actors/actresses who fit to the tee the physical descriptions of the characters. I even want the one who plays the daughter to suit the name given to her. 

I don't mind crying, hahaha, nor the lack of HEA. But I'll have a fit over half-baked dramas that added too many fillers and then didn't complete the whole story and stopped midway the story as its ending. 

This one would be eyecandy heheh, the characters are both very beautiful, tall people, so are their friends LOL. Good looking professor and his beautiful wife lol. But this one will definitely make you cry. Some of the side characters including the bad ones were also quite tragic. 

• Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Big twist and turn from the start as story opens with Fei Fei working with her bestie to run away from her home and from him. So at first i thought he was an abusive husband but boy was I so wrong. Her best friend regretted helping Fei Fei for the rest of her life after Nie Yi showed up at her door panicking and trying desperately to find his dying wife.

That was when the bestie found out how ill her friend was. Fei Fei had kept the truth from her.

I'm quite partial to dramatic story openings. :)

15 minutes ago, Ninky said:

This one would be eyecandy heheh, the characters are both very beautiful, tall people, so are their friends LOL. Good looking professor and his beautiful wife lol. But this one will definitely make you cry. Some of the side characters including the bad ones were also quite tragic. 

Aside from height and good looks, they should have beautiful, expressive eyes. Hehehe. No dead eyes acting, please. I'm very nitpicking on that.

8 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm quite partial to dramatic story openings. :)

Aside from height and good looks, they should have beautiful, expressive eyes. Hehehe. No dead eyes acting, please. I'm very nitpicking on that.

This story cannot have eye dead acting as both characters hide their true feelings and pain a lot so it needs to come through their eyes.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Hahahha. But… but she lost her fur after eating that poisonous fish…

Hahaha, yeah, after fed so much of it. Still the trooper winner among all others who could only manage a taste. :P

I hope TQ would write in the remaining volumes of Lotus Steps or in Bodhi Fate the back story of that darn sweet and sour fish recipe. :lol:

10 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Hahaha, yeah, after fed so much of it. Still the trooper winner among all others who could only manage a taste. :P

I hope TQ would write in the remaining volumes of Lotus Steps or in Bodhi Fate the back story of that darn sweet and sour fish recipe. :lol:

yes id like to know too

snippet from Lotus Step 2-2:

"Princess Xiang Yun was the Demon races’ greatest beauty of the current generation. She was rumoured amongst them to be comparable to the number one belle of the God race, Qing Qiu's Bai Qian, and was just as beautiful."

Xiang Yun is the daughter of the Vermillion Demon Lord and Xie Gu Chou destined life partner :). Lucky guy huh!

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Ninky said:

snippet from Lotus Step 2-2:

"Princess Xiang Yun was the Demon races’ greatest beauty of the current generation. She was rumoured amongst them to be comparable to the number one belle of the God race, Qing Qiu's Bai Qian, and was just as beautiful."

Xiang Yun is the daughter of the Vermillion Demon Lord and Xie Gu Chou destined life partner :). Lucky guy huh!

She is not mentioned in the q&a beauty list though. TQ must have created her character afterwards

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1