[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

45 minutes ago, Megan said:

Just watched episode 6. It is kind of an unpleasant realization to know that I can’t exactly blame Dong Hua for scolding Feng Jiu here.

His pet fox bit a friendly princess. And had been unfriendly toward Jiheng ever since she arrived.

i know Jiheng was wrong to steal credit, but I also can’t deny that she did try to rekindle friendship with Feng Jiu. 
The good thing about this episode is that Feng Jiu finally wakes up! She can’t be Dong Hua’s girlfriend when she is a pet!!! Though I admit, the fact that she keeps trying to cling to Dong Hua when he is engaged was kind of irksome. There are more important things to think about. Like running away from a snow lion instead of reaching for a collar! Or leaving a palace when it becomes clear her crush is getting married, not trying to impress him by fixing his drawing.

i just don’t like how these girls keep trying to win over a boy when it is clear he likes someone else. For example, later when Jiheng tries to sabotage a relationship when it becomes clear a Dong Hua likes Feng Jiu. or when Zhihe keeps butting in after wedding announcements.
Seriously, just move on! Don’t become obsessive. It will ruin you.

But then, love is love. At least Feng Jiu finally came to her senses and knew it was time to go. 

Understandably, FJ wasn't willing to be friends with JH as she thought she'll have the chance to gain DH's love after 3 years.

Also, she was in the lotus land. She had seen how DH and JH interacted. So if she harboured some hopes, it's not without reason, even after JH arrived in Tai Chen.

Soon after they arrived though and the wedding date was set, FJ left Jiuchongtian. Though not before she was almost killed by JH's lion after ZL released her from confinement. Granted, FJ was not matured enough, as she was more like a giggly teen-ager when she first came to Tai Chen palace. She is however, very decisive on cutting off ties, once she exhausted all avenues.

About reaching for the collar rather than flee, its because that's DH's jade necklace gift to her. FJ by instinct would want that back even after Suoying began to toy and attack her.

The drawing was Lian Song's, and not DH's. Correcting it was her means actually of helping DH, as FJ doesn't want his reputation in metallurgy questioned due to a mistake in the knife blueprint.

Making friends with somebody's pet though require time and getting used to, even if they were okay at the lotus land. Though JH was friendly, she didn't try to feed fox FJ, compared to what DH did to Suoying.

And yeah, DH was right to scold FJ for biting, even if he doesn't know she bit JH for lying and stealing the credit of her drawing correction.

When she scratched JH will be the unfair confinement. JH cried to DH that she only wanted to be friends with his pet. She, however, lied by omission that she was forcing a struggling fox to imprint its paws to the bowl. JH may have been very stupid to do that, but she was smart enough not be blamed!

On 8/20/2020 at 8:16 AM, Megan said:

It kinda sucks that we never know what happened to XN. I console myself by coming up with how she has  already been punished for her crimes in the book.

In the drama, she was jailed by Li Jing, but she escaped. She eventually died of injuries at Ying Zhou while trying to collect immortal grass.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

High Deity Bai Qian expressed admiration for Dijun's methods. She said when Dijun couldn't find her in Qingqiu that day, he instantly returned to Jiuchongtian and seized two royal mandates from Tianjun, then had the elderly fairies send them in conjunction with the Yupu seal from Taichen Palace to the Demon Clan and the Ghoul Clan. As soon as the seven Demon Lords and Ghoul King Lijing received his order, they at once helped to search for her within their respective territory. Bai Qian had no idea what was exactly written in those mandates. (PB2, 441) 

Those would be mandates from Tianjun to the leaders of the vassal territories of Demon and Ghoul realms to search Bai Feng Jiu, reinforced by the Tai Chen palace Yupu seal.

Why from Tianjun, and not directly Dong Hua? It is because Tianjun is the ruler of Heaven, and the vassal states of the Demons and Ghouls. These two tribes lost in the wars, so they're under celestials even if they have self-government. 

Dh really did everything within his power to find FJ. I think the novel explained this alot better then the drama.

7 hours ago, Megan said:

Just watched episode 6. It is kind of an unpleasant realization to know that I can’t exactly blame Dong Hua for scolding Feng Jiu here.

His pet fox bit a friendly princess. And had been unfriendly toward Jiheng ever since she arrived.

i know Jiheng was wrong to steal credit, but I also can’t deny that she did try to rekindle friendship with Feng Jiu. 
The good thing about this episode is that Feng Jiu finally wakes up! She can’t be Dong Hua’s girlfriend when she is a pet!!! Though I admit, the fact that she keeps trying to cling to Dong Hua when he is engaged was kind of irksome. There are more important things to think about. Like running away from a snow lion instead of reaching for a collar! Or leaving a palace when it becomes clear her crush is getting married, not trying to impress him by fixing his drawing.

i just don’t like how these girls keep trying to win over a boy when it is clear he likes someone else. For example, later when Jiheng tries to sabotage a relationship when it becomes clear a Dong Hua likes Feng Jiu. or when Zhihe keeps butting in after wedding announcements.
Seriously, just move on! Don’t become obsessive. It will ruin you.

But then, love is love. At least Feng Jiu finally came to her senses and knew it was time to go. 

I think FJ and DH behaved as expected in that scenario.  

JH thought FJ was pet, so she interacted with her as one would. But the fact that she lied, was not right. 

Considering how much grief JH directly and indirectly caused her, I was actually surprised how calm FJ was, when she saw JH in the mortal realm. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

Dh really did everything within his power to find FJ. I think the novel explained this alot better then the drama.

I was browsing YT today, and at one point visited ELOD episodes to see how much views. There are comments that are surprised DH has lots of defenders over his absence from the wedding. ^_^

I had to answer one comment though about JH being a friendly and kind princess, whose scriptwriters "fuq*d up" up her role and turned her to a love rival. :lol: I had to point out that one of the scriptwriters was the book's author, and both in the drama and novel, JH has schemed to make DH divorce FJ, and JH pretended to FJ that she is in relationship with DH.

• LOL 2

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

I was browsing YT today, and at one point visited ELOD episodes to see how much views. There are comments that are surprised DH has lots of defenders over his absence from the wedding. ^_^

I had to answer one comment though about JH being a friendly and kind princess, whose scriptwriters "fuq*d up" up her role and turned her to a love rival. :lol: I had to point out that one of the scriptwriters was the book's author, and both in the drama and novel, JH has schemed to make DH divorce FJ, and JH pretended to FJ that she is in relationship with DH.

YT?

3 hours ago, Megan said:

Reading the chapter when BQ and YH argue about how to take care of a drunk Ali. When Bai Qian makes her retort, she shakes her sleeve at Ye Hua’s back. Is there a meaning to the shaking sleeve thing?

More like shaking her fist in anger. :lol:

You might want to research on that if it has another meaning among the Chinese and their culture/practices.

As that's Toland's, can't say for certain if she translated that portion the right way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

More like shaking her fist in anger. 

You might want to research on that if it has another meaning among the Chinese and their culture/practices.

As that's Toland's, can't say for certain if she translated that portion the right way.

I think that's probably right.

I kind of only skimmed Toland's translation of TMoPB so I can't be sure about what she did, but I've noticed that a lot of times where the text of TPB says something like shaking the sleeve or lifting the sleeve or something similar, in Hamster's, it's been translated to shaking the hand or lifting the hand. So I assume that Toland's would technically be *correct* but obviously Hamster's translation of those phrases make more sense. 

As for other meanings it might have, I'm not sure but I always just saw it as a descriptor because every time I see that, I just kind of imagine that swoopy motion those long sleeves make when they're moved? :sweatingbullets:

• LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

16 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

As for other meanings it might have, I'm not sure but I always just saw it as a descriptor because every time I see that, I just kind of imagine that swoopy motion those long sleeves make when they're moved? 

Yeah, I also thought of it that way, coz they wear long sleeves...also they're arguing over intoxicated Ali... So my assumption too is that she's gesticulating while driving her point, and the sleeves were following BQ's arm movements? :sweatingbullets:

• LOL 1

I saw the similarities on the ELOD blog between BQ and FJ, but there are also similarities between FJ and YH.

1) fell in love with a god(dess) way older than them.

2) raised a child single handled for hundreds of years.

3) never loved anyone else.

4) spent time as a pet 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Megan said:

I saw the similarities on the ELOD blog between BQ and FJ, but there are also similarities between FJ and YH.

1) fell in love with a god(dess) way older than them.

2) raised a child single handled for hundreds of years.

3) never loved anyone else.

4) spent time as a pet 

Though both were treated as pets, YH did for only a few days without any rivals except the birds and cat. BQ also took care of him well. ^_^ Whereas FJ had three: ZH, JH, and Suoying. Though she was pampered, the sweet and sour fishes DH cooks must be equal to heavenly trials! :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

13 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Though both were treated as pets, YH did for only a few days without any rivals except the birds and cat. BQ also took care of him well. ^_^ Whereas FJ had three: ZH, JH, and Suoying. Though she was pampered, the sweet and sour fishes DH cooks must be equal to heavenly trials! :lol:

I do wonder, what FJ's heavenly trials may be. She has suffered enough from her past experiences and have contributed to saving all realms.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

I do wonder, what FJ's heavenly trials may be. She has suffered enough from her past experiences and have contributed to saving all realms.

It has to be something she has never experienced before or why the hell didn’t she ascend earlier then.

let’s see what is off the list:

1) love trial

2) physical pain (she got tormented in the jiuqu cage and by the lion. Her body was sapped of fairy energy several times. I doubt this is her trial)

3) stolen credit

4) hard labour (what could be harder than being a maid to that awful princess Zhihe)

my idea is that her trial will have to do with family. Feng Jiu has always been a beloved and supported relative and friend. I think her trial will probably involve that.

Oh yeah, out of curiosity...

i know Jiheng wanted to fight for Dong Hua, but in the book, she actually intended on confessing her feelings towards him.

why would she do that when it became obvious he likes Feng Jiu. She has to know he would reject her.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

10 minutes ago, Megan said:

It has to be something she has never experienced before or why the hell didn’t she ascend earlier then.

let’s see what is off the list:

1) love trial

2) physical pain (she got tormented in the jiuqu cage and by the lion. Her body was sapped of fairy energy several times. I doubt this is her trial)

3) stolen credit

4) hard labour (what could be harder than being a maid to that awful princess Zhihe)

my idea is that her trial will have to do with family. Feng Jiu has always been a beloved and supported relative and friend. I think her trial will probably involve that.

i know Jiheng wanted to fight for Dong Hua, but in the book, she actually intended on confessing her feelings towards him.

why would she do that when it became obvious he likes Feng Jiu. She has to know he would reject her.

FJ certainly ticked off many painful experiences. She should get a fast pass to ascend.

I may be wrong. But I wonder if it is because JH held on this hope that DH have some slight feeling for her, since he did do alot for her compared to what he did for others. Keeping that in mind, JH thought DH may change his mind, after her confession or if he spent more time with her.

JH's actions demonstrate she does not understand DH and how desperate she was.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

On 24/08/2020 at 10:08 AM, ChibiLy said:

Perhaps God will be merciful to her and make it easy and smooth the last phase to be a high goddess. If not, after whatever she already went through, she would have the strength and character to make it with flying colours. 

I'm curious how TQ will narrate this phase of FJ, if ever she goes through the ascension tests in any of the 4 remaining books.

On 24/08/2020 at 10:28 AM, Megan said:

She doesn't want that implied association with DH gone, and she likes the benefits of being under his care. I find her means disrespectful, since DH has already hinted and showed he only has eyes with FJ. 

Though she's free to confess, as Meng Shao did, she should never have planned something else that will hurt either FJ or DH. Like the condition of Xiao Yan to Meng Shao where FJ's concerned.

I already thought she was so very irksome during the restaurant treat of FJ. She then upped the irritation when she barged where DH and FJ were sleeping after leaving the dream realm. But gah, I actually felt rabid when she deliberately poisoned herself and then attempted to blackmail DH.

36 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Perhaps God will be merciful to her and make it easy and smooth the last phase to be a high goddess. If not, after whatever she already went through, she would have the strength and character to make it with flying colours. 

I don’t think so.

Bai Qian also underwent some hardships before her trial. Being cheated on, imprisoned in a water dungeon, stabbing her heart daily then monthly, half of her cultivation was spent towards fixing the bell before she became SS.

not to mention Dong Hua was also worried Feng Jiu wouldn’t survive and this is after what he knew she went through.

Speaking of Dong Hua and his involvement in FJ’s ascension, how do you think he would have helped her?

he thinks his presence is needed so she can be protected, but he is the kind of guy who lets the girl do the work while he gives her some guidelines.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Megan said:

I don’t think so.

Bai Qian also underwent some hardships before her trial. Being cheated on, imprisoned in a water dungeon, stabbing her heart daily then monthly, half of her cultivation was spent towards fixing the bell before she became SS.

not to mention Dong Hua was also worried Feng Jiu wouldn’t survive and this is after what he knew she went through.

BQ has been trained as a soldier by MY to hone her talents in using the Kunlun fan. Compared to her aunt whose hardships really began when she's 90,000, wherein 20,000 of it was spent as a Kunlun disciple, her niece has had own near death experiences and has successfully borne and raised a son singlehandedly as a schoolgirl. Feng Jiu has already been through a lot of agonies at around only 30,000+ years of age.

Feng Jiu's own experiences can't be really compared to what her aunt went through, just as her aunt doesn't find it as easy as her niece to cleanly cut off relationships. BQ resorted to induced amnesia, while FJ did not.

Both are of nine-tailed fox clan, whose blood is magical. FJ is so much younger, but she's not to be short-selled as she has already survived some things that others may not. FJ also has a husband who can train her well as she matures to her full potentials like her aunt BQ. Besides, in their universe, their God may or may not provide an ascension test for the deities to ascend.

Let TQ tell this part of FJ's ascension trials if it would take place in any of the remaining books. :) 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Let TQ tell this part of FJ's ascension trials if it would take place in any of the remaining books

Maybe it will be used as an explanation for why Dong Hua cannot help the main couple out. He already learned the lesson of what happens if he misses an important milestone in FJ’s life.

• Like 1